#61 CathysOpinion

CathysOpinion

Collar Nutcase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,518 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I'm really confused. The article Pamela just posted says that "USA is responsible for production costs."

But the Deadline piece from last week said:

"I hear FtvS is willing to shoulder the cost of a final season and is open to a lower license fee"

Unless I'm missing something one of these has to be wrong.

Just goes to show that some internet journalists don't have all the facts or choose to write half truths.

Cathy

Just an FYI, I assist Ann (LI Ann) in managing the White Collar Forum. Ann is an official moderator.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them in the WC Forum Online Community thread.

If you are looking for a specific discussion, then take a took at Ann's very nifty index, WC Forum Index.

#62 NativeHoustonian

NativeHoustonian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

Why are production cost " higher for White Collar"  ---the sets are mostly outside in the park and streets of New York. (I know it is not free but really????.....) The fees a production company pays a city government for shooting in a municipal setting is  (usually) in the hundreds not thousands.

And the other sets ...Neal loft, FBI  office should be paid for since they are in their 5 season.

The main actors are under contract for 7 years. (they are getting "perks" such as directing and a "producer byline").

Which for excellent talent like this  under contract-it would be a wise decision to go for the full 7 seasons.

I really don't see why White Collar is "....so expensive to produce" over some other action show.

If they replace it with an unknown show it would not cost any less and the quality would be questionable.

They also could do better with marketing items that I am sure would sell tremendously.

Don't forget it was just nominated for a "People Choice" award among some other hefty contenders.

#63 CathysOpinion

CathysOpinion

Collar Nutcase

• Members
  • 11,518 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

NativeHoustonian, Andrew Saxe, who used to work on White Collar, trying to keep it under budget, gave us a great insight on production costs.

Driving scenes - expensive and difficult to shoot

Exterior scenes - they need to contract with the owner of the building to shoot there (they pay a fee).  White Collar has many outdoor scenes that showcase the best of New York City.  If weather is bad, and they need to change their schedule, it costs money.

Interior scenes - again, they have to contract with the owner and pay a fee.

Avoid night scenes - causes longer days which means lotsa overtime for the production crew.

They provide meals for the entire staff, free of charge, all day.

They have trailers for many things, the wardrobe department has it's own, plus trailer dressing rooms.  All of these trailers have to be driven to their destination by union drivers.

New York City is expensive.  The unions make much higher wages, then say some other city.  Food and lodging is much more expensive (guest stars may want higher pay, each week the writer flies to NY, the writers are based in LA).  Jeff Eastin negotiated a tax credit with the city to get a break on the taxes.  Chicago recently opened up a 1.3 million square foot sound stage to attract series, movies, etc.  They also give a generous tax break.  There has been a huge boom in what gets filmed in Chicago because of this (two of the Transformer movies were partially filmed here).

Many series are not filmed where they are supposed to take place.  Covert Affairs is filmed in Toronto, not DC.  Graceland is filmed somewhere in Florida, Suits is filmed in Toronto and not New York City.

Cathy

Just an FYI, I assist Ann (LI Ann) in managing the White Collar Forum. Ann is an official moderator.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them in the WC Forum Online Community thread.

If you are looking for a specific discussion, then take a took at Ann's very nifty index, WC Forum Index.

#64 suebsg9

suebsg9

Peter Burke Appreciation Society

• Members
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:17 AM

Suits does come to NY to film some scenes. I think most is filmed in Toronto. I think filming in Canada is cheaper then some states in US. That is why some shows film there. Its like Castle will come to NY to film some exterior scenes. California does not look like NY but they can use it for some scenes and when they need to do NY they film there.

Sue
hhzyHve.png

Courtesy of Aragarna

MICHIGAN STATE SPARTANS ROSE BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!

#65 donnataft

donnataft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

Cathy, thanks for explaining the things about costs. Because I was wondering the exact same thing as NativeHoustonian.

But what I still don't understand: There was talk about that a show in its 6th season had higher production costs than a new one.

All the things you mention apply for any show in any season.

As NativeHoustonian said, sets are already there and the main actors' contracts still run for two more years, so no higher costs (than for previous seasons) in this area.

#66 bemik

bemik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

Actors pay is usually higher in later seasons. They ofthen have it written in contracts that each season they get a raise.

Icon made by BM_Shipper

#67 Aragarna

Aragarna

Team DeKay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

White Collar has a lot of exterior scenes compared to most shows. And it's always more expensive, for all the things Cathy has explained, than filming on set.

ZhL3auH.png

TeamDeKay.org - for everything TDK

#68 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Both New York State and New York City give huge tax breaks for production companies.  I don't know what the city offers but the New York State tax credit is 30% while California offers 20%, excludes TV series and is capped at $100 million.

Huffington Post

ETA:  We still don't know who pays the production costs, FOX or USA.  I tend to believe the Deadline article that says FOX covers production costs and USA pays FOX a licensing fee.

Edited by LI_Ann, 16 February 2014 - 12:01 PM.

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

#69 CathysOpinion

CathysOpinion

Collar Nutcase

• Members
  • 11,518 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

Cathy, thanks for explaining the things about costs. Because I was wondering the exact same thing as NativeHoustonian.

But what I still don't understand: There was talk about that a show in its 6th season had higher production costs than a new one.

All the things you mention apply for any show in any season.

As NativeHoustonian said, sets are already there and the main actors' contracts still run for two more years, so no higher costs (than for previous seasons) in this area.

Actors pay is usually higher in later seasons. They ofthen have it written in contracts that each season they get a raise.

Donna, Bemik took the words right out of my mouth!  Both Matt Bomer and Tim DeKay renegotiated their contracts for more money and an additional season (or two).

Cathy

#70 NativeHoustonian

NativeHoustonian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

Just to be very clear I said this:

"The main actors are under contract for 7 years. (they are getting "perks" such as directing and a "producer byline").

Which for excellent talent like this  under contract-it would be a wise decision to go for the full 7 seasons"

Not this:

."...and the main actors' contracts still run for two more years, so no higher costs (than for previous seasons) in this area."

I would not want people to think that there was no pay increase for the actors..... I never said that. 

But I will repeat ---none of the other shows mention were nominated for a "People Choice Award"

:wub:

#71 maryrose

maryrose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

but it also true that if a show  is good they sell commercial spaces  and there wiil be more interest  to invest  as sponsor ...like BMW did!!

bbg0.png

#72 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

But I will repeat ---none of the other shows mention were nominated for a "People Choice Award"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Psych won the People's Choice Award for Favorite Cable TV Comedy and it was announced that this is their last season.

but it also true that if a show  is good they sell commercial spaces  and there wiil be more interest  to invest  as sponsor ...like BMW did!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, that is true but someone bought 20 minutes of advertising time on each of three 3 episodes that were cut which is a whole hour of advertising. :wacko:

Edited by LI_Ann, 16 February 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#73 CathysOpinion

CathysOpinion

Collar Nutcase

• Members
  • 11,518 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Just to be very clear I said this:

"The main actors are under contract for 7 years. (they are getting "perks" such as directing and a "producer byline").

Which for excellent talent like this  under contract-it would be a wise decision to go for the full 7 seasons"

Not this:

."...and the main actors' contracts still run for two more years, so no higher costs (than for previous seasons) in this area."

I would not want people to think that there was no pay increase for the actors..... I never said that. 

Out of all of the awards presentations, the People's Choice Award, is, IMO, no big deal.  I've watched all of the presentations and PC does not impress me at all.

Series that have received the Emmy have been canceled and the Emmy is probably the highest honor.

Cathy

#74 maryrose

maryrose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

if the decision to cut the 3 ep came from USA network well they should have thought that wasn't bad for their pockets!!!

they didn't pay 3 weeks to the crew ( I think) .....

and  renew the show could be good for the network too because Matt now is involved in more productions and more people know and appreciate him  and I think that all the times Matt and Tim are as guests in talk show or they are interviewed well.... this is also publicity for the network

bbg0.png

#75 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

Sunday, February 18, 2013

Did you tweet today?

30rocktweet_zpsa3b32a94.jpg

#76 NativeHoustonian

NativeHoustonian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

"none of the other shows mention were nominated for a "People Choice Award"

My comment  were about  the previously mention shows back on page 3 :

USAShowRatings_zpsae0e2383.jpg

I was making the comparison of White Collar's  "People Choice" award nomination to that of Graceland and Covert Affairs -who have been renewed already and have not been nominated. (this year.)

It seems I am not making myself very clear so I will stop at this point and leave it to the experts.

Edited by NativeHoustonian, 16 February 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#77 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

I was making the comparison of White Collar's  "People Choice" award nomination to that of Graceland and Covert Affairs -who have been renewed already and have not been nominated. (this year.)

It seems I am not making myself very clear so I will stop at this point and leave it to the experts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oops!  

Sorry!  I thought you were talking about all the other USA shows.  :rolleyes:

#78 Pokeyshadow

Pokeyshadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,721 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

-------

Don't sweat it. Renewing WC makes sense to most of us here on the board. Sadly we don't know the whole story...as TED likes to tell us.

I still don't know the players and I'm not sure I care at this point. I just want an answer.

#79 SMARSH

SMARSH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

-------

Don't sweat it. Renewing WC makes sense to most of us here on the board. Sadly we don't know the whole story...as TED likes to tell us.

I still don't know the players and I'm not sure I care at this point. I just want an answer.

I am with you ... I don't need to understand the specifics.  It would probably just upset me anyway because it all boils down to money.  I too just want an answer.

Posted Image

#80 ansel

ansel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

I am with you ... I don't need to understand the specifics.  It would probably just upset me anyway because it all boils down to money.  I too just want an answer.

Me too.  I don't need or care to know all the details, reasons and excuses - just give us an answer one way or the other.

S6%2Bsig%2Bcopy.jpg

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved