74 replies to this topic

#1 krocla

krocla

Agent Claire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:25 AM

****Please note...this is the episode with a tribute to our dear friend Phi! (Please forgive the following spoiler) The name tag on the waitress in the beginning of the episode will say 'Philippa'.**** This is so sweet of them!  :)  B)

♥ ♥ ♥ Burn Notice ♥ ♥ ♥

The Awesome Cast:

Michael Westen - Jeffrey Donovan

Sam Axe - Bruce Campbell

Fiona Glenanne - Gabrielle Anwar

Madeline Westen - Sharon Gless

Jesse Porter - Coby Bell

BURN NOTICE Episode # 7.08

BURN NOTICE SERIES Episode #106

Original Air Date: August 1, 2013

Episode Title: ‘Nature of the Beast'

Written by:  Bridget Tyler

Directed by: Tawnia McKiernan

Edited by: Casey Brown, A. C. E.

Guest Starring:

Jack Coleman - Andrew Strong

John Pyper-Ferguson - James Kendrick

Peter Mensah -

Laura Turnbull - Philippa

Casting Notes:

Director: Tawnia McKiernan
Writers: Bridget Tyler
Shoot Dates: 6/3 - 6/11

[MARCO CABRAL] 50 years old, a hard-eyed man in a police uniform, he's smart, ruthless and thoroughly paranoid cop/villain, the head of the Narcotics Police for the Dominican Republic, and a
man whose hands are stained with both cocaine and blood.  The biggest drug smuggler on his island, he used his position to slaughter his rivals and turn a profit running the very drugs he's meant to be controlling.  A man who belongs in a jail cell or a coffin, familiar with the traps of professional duplicity, Cabral has negotiated a sweet retirement deal for himself, and he's getting ready to trade his intelligence network for a view of the English countryside -- unless Michael and Sam can derail his plans and alter his future path into a downward spiral...GUEST STAR  (16)

[JOHN DOE / PETER MILLARD] A fierce-looking guy in his 40s, he used to be with the United States Special Forces -- but he's spent the last 15 years in one institution or another for the criminally insane.   Physically strong, murderously cunning, and trained by the military with a wide variety of weapons, he may be crazy as a loon -- or he may just be a political prisoner who's seething with rage. He was a hero, once. Whether years of mental torment have twisted his soul or not, Fiona and Jesse can't know. Either way, he's going to get free from captivity today, and he knows exactly what slick, brutal moves he's going to make to ensure his freedom -- and Fiona isn't quite sure if this loopy, tortured bastard is a villain or a victim...GUEST STAR  (33)

[JAMES KENDRICK] In his late 40s, handsome, with chiseled good looks and a quiet intensity, he's the head of a dangerous organization. He won't be content until his targets bare their souls completely. Kendrick is capable of cold-hearted insistence as well as warm -- even kind -- encouragement to get what he wants. This role will recur from episode 707 (5/16-5/24) through the end of the season (7/31/13). Please do not submit anyone who is not available to recur...RECURRING GUEST STAR

Synopsis:

At the bidding of the organization he is trying to infiltrate, Michael goes after a drug smuggler. Elsewhere, Fiona and Jesse visit a mental hospital in order to search for more information about James.

Promo 7.08 Nature of the Beast

Promo Pics 7.08 Nature of the Beast

Scott's Sketches:  graciously uploaded by fanatic in order to include in the episode discussion thread! :)  B)

S708 Nature of the Beast

Day51S708Jun4Tue2_zps517b2493.jpg

S708 Nature of the Beast

Day51S708Jun4Tue1_zps9e9ae31a.jpg

S708 Nature of the Beast

Day52S708Jun5Wed_zpscba2cc4a.jpg

S708 Nature of the Beast

Day53S708ThrPremiereDay_zps193c906d.jpg

S708 Nature of the Beast

Day54S708FriJune7_zpscbe82f41.jpg

S708 Nature of the Beast

Day55S708MonJun10_zpsfc50a173.jpg

S708 Nature of the Beast

Day56S708TueJun11_zpse4ff61ba.jpg

A reminder to please use spoiler tags if commenting on anything specific prior to the airing of the episode. As you might know, there are occasions when a spoilerphobe may need to take a peek inside this thread prior to the airing of the episode so please avoid stating comments that take conjecture and make it factual (a certainty) prior to the airing of the episode in this thread... unless a spoiler tag is used, of course. Please keep in mind there are those who prefer to be surprised versus foreknowledge of the episode. :) For additional information, please see Natasha's post from August 10, 2011. B)

As this discussion thread gets going closer to airdate, just a friendly reminder from your moderators to all regarding SPOILERS:

Be careful about mentioning content that refers to future episodes, including:
*promos (including the promo for this week's upcoming epi, and for next week's epi),
*interviews,
*other people's spoiler tags, etc.

Please always put all spoiler info/content in Spoiler tags (when making a post, click on the "Other Styles" dropdown menu & select Spoiler) so it is hidden. Those who like to read spoilers can click on it to see it, and those who don't like to know anything about upcoming episodes, can avoid it. When in doubt, why not spoiler tag it. The difference being, "OMG! So excited to see Maddie next week!" (no spoiler) vs "OMG! So excited to see Maddie sink a submarine with Virgil next week!" (spoiler). Feel free to discuss all spoilers in the Spoilers!- Official Thread.

Once the episode airs, info is no longer considered a spoiler (but the content of the promo at the end of the show for the next week is).

thanks! :) 

Edited by krocla, 06 August 2013 - 06:45 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 CAGilder

CAGilder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

Do we know who is playing Philippa?

Edited by CAGilder, 30 July 2013 - 07:37 PM.

Certified Burnologist

Posted Image

#3 bnfanmab

bnfanmab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

a female writer and female director!  gives me hope!

#4 krocla

krocla

Agent Claire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

Do we know who is playing Philippa?

No, I was not able to find out who will be playing Philippa when I was researching information for the thread. At the Finley Family Reunion, Matt Nix confirmed the episode for us and stated the name tag the waitress would be wearing in the beginning would say Philippa and adding it would be easy to read. Matt did not indicate if the role was a speaking role or an extra in the episode. If it is a speaking role, I believe her name would appear in the credits at the end. Of course, there is a possibility she might just place drinks or food on a table and not have any lines.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Tilly11

Tilly11

Field Operative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

honestly,
i'm confused by this season so far. i have no idea what's going on or
what the story is. i fear that the finale will be a total letdown.
everything that has happened in the past six seasons has accumulated to
this?... i dunno. i just don't get what's going on. what IS goin' on?
can anyone help me with out with the story? lol

*********** END QUOTE **************************************

Choop, I can understand how you’re confused about what's happened so far.  Here's the story. I hope I can keep it clear!

Once upon a time, (at the end of season 6) our Team was in dire straits indeed. Michael had killed Tom Card in cold blood.  He and the team, including Madeline, were pursued by the esteemed CIA investigator Riley.  In her zeal to capture Michael, Riley made a deal with a drug cartel, selling out the DEA and CIA in the process.  Michael trapped her on the drug lord's yacht and forced her to confess to her superior in exchange for not being killed by the Coast Guard.

We didn't see Michael, Sam, Fiona, Madeline and Jesse surrender to the police or CIA, but Maddie tells Dexter Gamble in 701 that she did so.  The entire team was held in a CIA holding facility and questioned for three weeks.

We are shown in flashback in 701 that Michael was approached by Andrew Strong at this time.  Michael was in custody, in handcuffs, wearing the same shirt that he was wearing on the yacht with Riley.  

At that time, Strong told Michael that he has been pursuing Randall Burke, a known terrorist, for eight years.  It had proved impossible to get an operative close to Burke, because he's careful. Because Michael once worked with Burke, Strong felt  that Michael has a good chance of getting in with Burke and bringing down his terrorist organization.

The case against all of Team Westen was (and still is) sufficient to put all of them in prison for the rest of their lives.  Since the murder of Card, they had all, Madeline included,  committed a myriad of crimes, not the least of which was aiding and abetting a murder suspect (Michael).

Michael had no choice but to agree to work for Strong and the CIA, to take down Burke and his organization, or he and his friends and family will spend the rest of their lives in prison.  If Michael doesn't succeed in this mission, they'll all go back to prison for the rest of their lives. 

Michael is under a lot of pressure as season 7 opens!

Randall Burke is a careful guy.  Michael is a legendary operative.  Burke must be shown evidence that will make him  believe that "THE" Michael Westen is truly a man hiding from his country, desperate, disgraced, with no friends or means of support, drinking himself to death.  Michael immerses himself in that life for 6 months before Burke, who has been watching,  approaches him.

Burke's close friend Pablo is suspicious. He thinks that finding an ace operative like Michael Westen hanging out in the Dominican Republic is just too good to be true.  If he were Fiona, he'd shoot Michael, just in case!  That would probably make Burke unhappy, because he believes Michael's story.  Instead of shooting Michael, Pablo hires a friend to investigate Michael, to confirm that he is not still working for the CIA.

Pablo's friend is Dexter Gamble. Gamble finds out the truth about Michael Westen from Madeline, and tells Pablo. After Dexter's call to Pablo, Michael manages to escape from Pablo and the police, but knows that his cover is blown. 

Burke leaves town for a few days, giving Michael and Strong time to fly to Miami to track down Dexter Gamble in an effort to save Michael's cover and the operation. Michael learns by spying on his friends that they have all moved on with their lives.  Fiona is with another man and appears to be quite in love with him.  Michael reminisces about when he met Fiona, and with those memories is able to awesomely save Fiona when Gamble kidnaps her. In order to save her, he has to reveal himself to his friends. With Gamble dead, Michael's cover ID is now secure, and he and Strong go back to the Dominican Republic.

Michael becomes Burke's right-hand man.  He doesn't yet know anything about Burke's terrorist organization, and Burke is very secretive.  Rather than answer Michael's questions, he talks about trust and faith and staying strong.  Michael has to play along until he can get some real answers about Burke's network.

This might be the confusing part- what exactly was Michael doing for Burke, and why?

In episode 701, Michael and Pablo blow up a very expensive satellite decryption array at a security company for Burke. These computers must be replaced, so the company orders new ones which are  going to be delivered by truck. 

Michael brings Sam and Jesse in to  help steal the truck and equipment. 

Burke has made a deal to sell the computer equipment.  He lures another known terrorist, Rafael Sorano to meet him for the sale.

Instead of selling the equipment to Sorano, Burke captures him. He wants to learn where Sonya is being kept. Sorano tells Burke that Sonya is being held in a Russian prison in Cuba. 

Michael, Sam, Jesse and Burke go to Cuba to rescue her. Burke sacrifices himself so that Michael can save Sonya.  Team Westen and Sonya use their wits to escape from Cuba.

With Sonya in Miami, Michael must still learn abut the terrorist network that she and Burke work for.  Sonya's first priority is to destroy the hacker network that exposed her to the Russians. 

After he and Fiona destroy the hacker network, Michael gets close to Sonya by sleeping with her.  She agrees to introduce him to her boss.

Michael has done difficult things on this mission for Strong:

- He proved himself to Randall Burke by living a hellish life in deep cover as an alcoholic ex-spy with nothing left to live for hiding in another country, fighting in clubs for money.

- With Burke's trust, he found Sonya.  He continued his cover as a desperate man with nowhere to turn, and seduced/allowed himself to be seduced by her. 

- With Sonya's trust, he is taken to James.  He proved himself to the mysterious boss James, by submitting to interrogation, torture and drugging.  He was "barely"  able to continue his cover as a desperate man with nowhere to turn. 

The purpose of Michael's mission for Andrew Strong and the CIA was to get close to Randall Burke and bring down him and his terrorist network. 

He is now "in" with James, in position to finally learn about the goals of  the "terrorist network". 

But as he said in voice over in 701,

"A deep cover job changes you in ways that are hard to describe.  To become another man for months or years, It's impossible to go through and not be affected at the most basic level.  In a way, that's the point. Deep cover is only used to go after the hardest targts. The ones who can't be approached. The ones who can see through the smooth lie. The ones who know the real thing when they see it.  The only way in with a target like that is to become the real thing. Every hour, every day, whether you're in public or alone, you have to live the life of the man you're claiming to be.  It creeps into your soul after a while.  Spend enough time posing as an alcoholic ex-spy, committing the occasional crime to pay the rent, and the line between fiction and fact becomes blurry.  Eventually, the question isn't whether the cover ID will attract the target.  It's whether there will be enough of you left to complete the mission when it does."

This is even more true now than it was when Michael was trying to get close to Burke. 

We viewers may think that Michael is back to his normal life, but that is not the case.

He is still in deep cover with Sonya and James, still living as a man whose friends have moved on, who pity him.  He's a man who has a dark past. The lines that he lived within before have become blurred. 

Most importantly,  he appears to be a man with nothing hidden from James. 

But is there still enough of him left to complete this mission? Does he truly "know" himself?

Edited by Tilly11, 01 August 2013 - 10:42 AM.

643463c4-7f17-4e33-b7f1-c490d83a7863.jpg

Thank You to fanatic174 for this Sig!

#6 CAGilder

CAGilder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

No, I was not able to find out who will be playing Philippa when I was researching information for the thread. At the Finley Family Reunion, Matt Nix confirmed the episode for us and stated the name tag the waitress would be wearing in the beginning would say Philippa and adding it would be easy to read. Matt did not indicate if the role was a speaking role or an extra in the episode. If it is a speaking role, I believe her name would appear in the credits at the end. Of course, there is a possibility she might just place drinks or food on a table and not have any lines.

-----

Chances are she's just an extra. But I would like to know her name and perhaps send her a message about how her character came to be on BN. Yeah, she probably doesn't care... but I do.

Certified Burnologist

Posted Image

#7 BN8802

BN8802

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

I have to say this...but thank you Matt Nix and team for honoring Phillppa at the beginning of this episode. You have NO IDEA how moving and emotional that is to me and to the BN community on here. Thank you so much...

Now...

James Kendrick....I think he may be even more nastier than anyone...especially what he did to this Peter character. My god...

Posted Image

#8 Choop

Choop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

decent episode.  so i guess this new storyline is about westen trying to leave the CIA for good rather than getting rid of the organization that burned him.

#9 ColleenM

ColleenM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

Just gonna say - 

TPTB love to mislead us. I never got the feeling that Michael even questioned his own motives for one second as suggested by some episode overviews.  Yes, he understands that it's difficult to infiltrate an agency and not fall under the spell of their mission but I don't believe he is in danger of doing that at all. That was Sam's concern and Michael relieved his worries. Whew!  One less thing to worry about!

#10 ColleenM

ColleenM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

Oops - forgot to mention that "Philippa" got some lines and I was really happy to see that!  She is beaming from ear to ear up there! 

Class act, Burn Notice staff! You're the best there is!

#11 Snickerzkc5

Snickerzkc5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

Episode was pretty meh in my opinion. Pretty much a filler. Glad that we got some Michael/Sam scenes though.

Not sure what to think of James yet.

Can Fi & Carlos break up already? He's not even on screen and their whole relationship bores me. And honestly who calls their Girlfriend's Ex's Mom for advice. Felt like a waste of Maddie and pretty much a throwaway scene.

#12 cypfan

cypfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thank you Tilly11 for  the Season 7 outline.  I had begun to loose my way also.  

As for this episode, I guess now we know what set James on his path of selfrightiousness.

I am furious and disgusted with whoever approved running a crawl twice across the top of the screen during this episode promoting a rerun of Covert Affairs.  It is very disrespectful to fans and the show.  

Very nice acknowledgement of Philippa. Thank you BN and Matt Nix.

Edited by cypfan, 01 August 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#13 noellem

noellem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

First of all what a wonderful tribute to Phliippa. Kudos to Matt Nix and team. No doubt she is smiling :-)

Annoyance - The ticker across the middle of the screen stating Covert Affairs would air at 11:01. Bottom of the screen in the black section (widescreen bars) would have been better.

The episode was good but Im confused. Just when I think it looks like Michael and Fi's relationship is looking up, there's a setback. Maddie advising Fi not to lie so she doesnt lose Carlos and Fi shows tears cuz she doesnt want to lose him. (Maddie has accepted Fi's new life no longer accepting that Fi may have been her daughter-in-law one day like she once did) Every other week I feel like I'm riding a rollercoaster. One week their reunion looks hopeful, the next week not so much. I think based on next week's preview there may be an "I'm sorry and I forgive you" from Fi to Michael, but that's about all I see at this point. She does care for Carlos and it was pretty evident tonight. My hopes are dwindling once again for them being together as a couple. I see Fi choosing Carlos like she did in ep 702 sad and sorry to say :( I hate feeling like that.

Loved seeing Sam and Michael work together. They are a great team.

Poor Jesse getting hit in the head. :(

I wonder if this Peter guy leads the team in taking down Kendrick. Should be interesting to see.

Next week looks like a major nailbiter. Cant wait. Tonight's ep was the calm before the storm.

#14 bcmom

bcmom

Crazy Gringo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,582 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

This was a fantastic episode!  Phillippa is dancing around right now so happy she got to be in an episode even if it was in spirit :D  You earned it Lady B) Hope it made you happy?

Now... Love how Sam is so worried about Mike and that Mike fesses up to not being able to do it all on his own. So awesome. Sam, "Don't get smug."  :lol:  The evil bad guy can't play anything but an evil bad guy check out  "Tears Of The Sun" . 

Wet Michael :D Wet and injured Michael :D 

okay second viewing time :D

Posted Image

#15 noellem

noellem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

Thank you Tilly11 for  the Season 7 outline.  I had begun to loose my way also.  

As for this episode, I have to rewatch not sure if James Kendrick the soldier killed his unit or the villagers. It is all a bit muddled. 

I am furious and disgusted with whoever approved running a crawl twice across the top of the screen during this episode promoting a rerun of Covert Affairs.  It is very disrespectful to fans and the show.  

Agreed cypfan, that crawl annoyed me. Bottom of screen would have worked or a commercial advertising it.

A lot of the dialogue this season has been hard to understand. I rewatch on close caption to see what I couldnt hear.

Edited by noellem, 01 August 2013 - 10:06 PM.

#16 redwyne

redwyne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

decent episode.  so i guess this new storyline is about westen trying to leave the CIA for good rather than getting rid of the organization that burned him.

Total waste of an episode, couldn't figure out why they used her name her and not the Barry ep, makes sense now - reason to watch.

And gosh wet mike oh squueee...

His leaving the CIA has been his point since season six - unless we go with he was lying to Fi (and us).

As far as Fi and Carlos goes, if they were really trying to sell that we would see him. So she teared up, she know what she should do vs wants to do.

All in all very boring episode. IMHO, YMMY, you could just be here for butt shots.... Sure there will be screen caps (not that there is anything wrong with that but geeze they need to stop wasting episodes!!!! ). I don't care how nice Nix is, do his job and finish the show we have loved so much well.

13 episodes!!! And this is what we have gotten?? Totally blows.

/end bitter rant
Sybil

#17 bowescol

bowescol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:32 PM

Yeah this episode didn't hold my attention very well .. Nice Sam / Michael moments.. I guess. Love Chuck Finley of course.. BC cleans up well.. :)

Maddie scene just didn't do it for me.. I thought it was kinda strange all in all.. Really served no purpose

Look if we are in the dark all the time... We need a bit of humor to lighten it up .. Action is always good.. But this just seemed dull... A 2 out of 5

Well here is hoping next weeks is better..

#18 TinChicago

TinChicago

Agent Bly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,802 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:43 AM

I have to disagree with many of you.  I thought this episode actually moved things forward quite nicely.  I was disappointed in what I thought was some "wasted time" when they spent 2 episodes capturing/rescuing Sonya.  But this time, we have moved along with learning so much more about James. Peter's information is key. Key to Michael understanding who James really is, despite James' passion for killing the bad guys instead of making deals, something we know MW could be on board with pretty fast.  Cue Sam, who sees that, and I agree with bcmom that Michael's expression of his need for Sam to be with him on this, that he can't do it alone, because MW recognizes his potential weakness here.  This is a big deal!  MW has a crack or two in that steely exterior.  He knows James is able to manipulate MW's sense of honor and "doing the right thing," and to MW, as he explained to Sam many times, Cabral was a bad guy and didn't deserve a deal with MI6.  Michael addressed Sam's concerns, and also admitted he needs his help, all the way.

I found there was a decent amount of humor in the episode, given the circumstances.  I believe we all need to understand that even though we started out on the lighter side of life with our team, what they do, what they have always done, what their careers demanded them to do, is dangerous.  That MN and company were able to infuse humor and snarkiness along the way is what makes the show brilliant.  At this point, however, as things come to a close, there are necessarily fewer appropriate places to infuse that humor.  Tonight they did it with Sam and Mike working together.  Yes, the humor was mixed with very serious conversation as well.  But it had to be.

I agree with Snickerz and noellem about the Maddie/Fi scene. It was a little...odd. And actually, Maddie acknowledged that it was uncomfortable and weird that Carlos would call her to express his concern over what Fi is doing.  And it is.  I mean, if you are worried about your girlfriend, or you think she is lying to you, talk to HER, not her ex-boyfriend's mother!  As for Fiona's reaction to Maddie's warning that she may lose Carlos if she keeps doing this, Fi's response was completely on point. She will lose him anyway if she goes to jail. As to Fi's tearing up?  Look, I am not willing at this point to chalk that up to Fi's missing/loving Carlos.  Sure, she has feelings for him, but she has feelings for Michael too. I chalk it up to Fi just simply being in a really emotional situation right now.  Her hands are tied; she can't go one way without completing the other.  What I found interesting is what she didn't say in response to Maddie: She didn't say, "Well, I have no choice."  I really believe Fi teared up because she just wants this to be over, one way or the other.  She saw last week what MW has suffered.  They are all suffering through this.

Finally, Phillippa!!  I LOVED that Phillippa, the "waitress" got to call Michael "sweetheart" twice!!  And I love that she had a couple of lines, and especially LOVED that her character engaged directly and solely with Michael Westen.  Well done MN and company! Thank you so much for honoring our friend.  

Edited by TinChicago, 02 August 2013 - 01:46 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
"Covert operatives and diplomats from all over the world mingling in Miami.
Michael has this weekend circled on his calendar every year."

#19 BN8802

BN8802

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

You know, I don't know if this has crossed anyone's mind, but after watching Peter's conversation with Michael, I got the feeling that what Peter went through mirrors Michael's own past, especially with Larry. Larry was bound to get the job done, to bring out that killer instinct within him, and got it done in more ways than one, especially after what happened on the very last time Larry and Michael worked together. This wasn't just right or wrong or MW's sense of honor, it was really about Michael also being somewhat afraid of what James Kendrick is trying to accomplish in Michael; trying to take away everything out of him so that he can be the ruthless monster that Larry saw him to be. That's why I feel he needs Sam; he needs Sam so that his sanity can still be there. Again, I'll use the Lord Of The Rings analogy, but it makes perfect sense...at least to me it does. :lol: Throughout his journey, Frodo continues to stay consumed by the evil power of the ring and there's his best friend and companion, Samwise Gamgee, making sure that he's not adrift and focused on the mission at all times, making sure that Frodo starts it and eventually completes it. The same can be said for here - James Kendrick is doing everything he can to bring Michael to the dark side, if you will, but there's Sam, the one who questions things, the one that wants to make sure that he is doing the right thing, and most importantly, the man that's trying to keep Michael Westen from losing his insanity. This episode is a great example of it and Michael admitted that to Sam - he needs Sam with this, more than ever.

As for the Maddie/Fi scene, people seem to ignore or not realize that Carlos is just as important as to the whole thing, because it develops Fiona's character on an emotional level. Even if he is not on the screen, the fact that we talk about him rings volumes. He is important to Fi and I'm convinced that Fi doesn't want to lose him either. But what irked me is why couldn't he have this conversation at the Carlito? Isn't he man enough to let Fiona know his feelings about the whole thing and instead having to call up Michael's mom about it? If I were dating someone, I certainly wouldn't be calling my girl's mom and go "Hey, I can't say what I want to say, so maybe it's better off heard from a woman's point of view to her." That's just stupid thinking, IMO. That being said, I'm glad Matt Nix is reminding us of Carlos, because we still are connected to the whole Michael/Fiona love story. So...despite what some of you think, Carlos is needed for character development and storyline forwarding, whether you like it or not.

One or two of you also asked about what exactly James did. I believe Peter mentioned that he not only decimated the village that were women and children, but also killed his own unit. In Peter's words, James "silted their throats while they were asleep." That's how dangerous he is - this man is willing to go far and above beyond anything to see his own ends realized. I was actually thinking of The Last Samurai, with Tom Cruise (excellent movie, BTW), where his character's commanding officer didn't have a problem in following orders and killing all the Indians in sight while Tom's character, Nathan Algren, questioned it all the way. I wonder if that was a reference to that movie or in any other kind of movie?

Posted Image

#20 redwyne

redwyne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:35 AM

I have to disagree with many of you.  I thought this episode actually moved things forward quite nicely.  I was disappointed in what I thought was some "wasted time" when they spent 2 episodes capturing/rescuing Sonya.  But this time, we have moved along with learning so much more about James. Peter's information is key. Key to Michael understanding who James really is, despite James' passion for killing the bad guys instead of making deals, something we know MW could be on board with pretty fast.  Cue Sam, who sees that, and I agree with bcmom that Michael's expression of his need for Sam to be with him on this, that he can't do it alone, because MW recognizes his potential weakness here.  This is a big deal!  MW has a crack or two in that steely exterior.  He knows James is able to manipulate MW's sense of honor and "doing the right thing," and to MW, as he explained to Sam many times, Cabral was a bad guy and didn't deserve a deal with MI6.  Michael addressed Sam's concerns, and also admitted he needs his help, all the way.

I found there was a decent amount of humor in the episode, given the circumstances.  I believe we all need to understand that even though we started out on the lighter side of life with our team, what they do, what they have always done, what their careers demanded them to do, is dangerous.  That MN and company were able to infuse humor and snarkiness along the way is what makes the show brilliant.  At this point, however, as things come to a close, there are necessarily fewer appropriate places to infuse that humor.  Tonight they did it with Sam and Mike working together.  Yes, the humor was mixed with very serious conversation as well.  But it had to be.

I agree with Snickerz and noellem about the Maddie/Fi scene. It was a little...odd. And actually, Maddie acknowledged that it was uncomfortable and weird that Carlos would call her to express his concern over what Fi is doing.  And it is.  I mean, if you are worried about your girlfriend, or you think she is lying to you, talk to HER, not her ex-boyfriend's mother!  As for Fiona's reaction to Maddie's warning that she may lose Carlos if she keeps doing this, Fi's response was completely on point. She will lose him anyway if she goes to jail. As to Fi's tearing up?  Look, I am not willing at this point to chalk that up to Fi's missing/loving Carlos.  Sure, she has feelings for him, but she has feelings for Michael too. I chalk it up to Fi just simply being in a really emotional situation right now.  Her hands are tied; she can't go one way without completing the other.  What I found interesting is what she didn't say in response to Maddie: She didn't say, "Well, I have no choice."  I really believe Fi teared up because she just wants this to be over, one way or the other.  She saw last week what MW has suffered.  They are all suffering through this.

Finally, Phillippa!!  I LOVED that Phillippa, the "waitress" got to call Michael "sweetheart" twice!!  And I love that she had a couple of lines, and especially LOVED that her character engaged directly and solely with Michael Westen.  Well done MN and company! Thank you so much for honoring our friend.  

I guess that is the thing... This final mission??? Is stupid. Do this or you all rot in jail... FOREVAH!

Not buying it. Wasn't well written, wasn't sold well, either a been there done that or too little time too late.

So no. Strong. Sonya. James. Burke. Peter. Are all just taking up space in the last 13 episodes we have to spend with the team.

The End

And the sudden out of character Michael, I scared I could lose myself! Hold me Sam crap. Well, hmmm maybe if they spent abit more time showing the TEAM, it wouldn't seem so left field out of character.

No Carlos isn't important and not even a chance of her 'ending' up with him. Yes you are right the scene was about Fi where her head is, what she want, and again badly written. Maddie can worry about Fi if they needed that scene in there.

Fi gets want she wants or at least isn't afraid to go after if. If Carlos was it. He would know. It was a stupid red hearing to play on fan emotion (with single digit episodes left) into fear 'OH NZo Fi loves HIM. How will it end?!?!?!'

Do. Not. Like. Fans. Being. Screwed. With. You had a hit cuz these people stuck by you for seven years. Had 13 episodes to end the series, doing it in such a craptastic way blows.

If they couldn't come up in a new interesting 'missions/bad guy' then they should have spent the time focus on the team.

Show is on USA with an executive producer/creator who wants to work again. Show is in syndication. We know how this ends. Would have been nice to enjoy getting there.

Sybil
(Yeah still annoyed)

Edited by redwyne, 02 August 2013 - 06:44 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Episode Discussion, BN Series Epi #106

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved