152 replies to this topic

#1 NatashaFatale

NatashaFatale

Ghost in the Machine

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Our heartfelt thanks to Elizabeth’s friend who reached out to forum member krocla/Claire to let us know of this news.

It is with a heavy heart that we report the very sad and tragic news that our dear friend and fellow Burn Notice member and forum moderator, PhilippaConnors (her screenname), Elizabeth Fassett, passed away last week.

She and her mother, Barbara Fassett, both tragically died Jan.7th, 2013, and if you wish to read the news articles they can be seen here:

http://www.villagene....com/node/10863

(Please Note the following link contains news video and if you wish to hit play, it contains video of the outside of their home, an active crime scene, so the footage may be disturbing): http://wtvr.com/2013...ouble-homicide/

Due to the nature of what has happened, we only ask that this thread remains on topic (gun violence, etc. can be discussed in a different thread), as this thread is to honor and remember our dear friend Philippa/Elizabeth.

If you’d like to offer your condolences to her family and friends, there is an online guest book where you can leave a note. The guest book will be available online permanently: http://www.legacy.co...62261062&page=3

Our sympathies go out to all of her family and friends, and to all of her BN family here on the forum.

We welcome everyone to share their condolences, stories and memories of Philippa/Elizabeth, here with us in this thread as well. Feel free to share links to any of your favorite posts of hers, and photos are also welcome (and of course you can point out Philippa, but kindly remember to not post the other names of who is in the photo unless you have permission from that member).

We’ll also send a message out via twitter (krocla/Claire will send it), and if you know anyone who might have known her who hasn’t been on the forum in awhile or on twitter, please do let them know.

Thank you,
NatashaFatale & JennaV
BN Moderators

Edited by NatashaFatale, 18 January 2013 - 08:46 PM.

713siggysmuse.png

#2 NatashaFatale

NatashaFatale

Ghost in the Machine

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

For those who may not have known PhilippaConnors (Elizabeth), or Phi as she was often called, she was a longtime member on the BN forum since July 2008 and a moderator since June 2009.

She shared with us that she chose her login name as Phil Connors, after a favorite character from Groundhog Day, and she wrote this wonderful post about how her mother first introduced her to BN:
http://forums.usanet...20#entry1072793

She was a huge contributor to our forum, and especially engaging in her wonderful discussions, upon which she often called herself the “resident rambler of the BN forum.” She was positive, funny, full of laughter and jokes and always so kind and welcoming to everyone. She was incredibly smart and had quite a way with words – she managed to covey thoughts in such perfect ways: serious, witty, humorous... (if not lengthy!).

Many of you might also know her as a big fan of Barry the Money Launderer on BN (played by actor Paul Tei) – as evidenced by her avatar & the many Barry photo captions made for her. She was a huge fan of Burn Notice & she was beyond delighted when crew members (writers, etc.) would engage with us on the forum and on twitter.

Her generosity was inspiring. Along with forum member Brenna, Phi helped to organize the 2009 Forum donations to one of charities that Jeffrey Donovan supports, the Life Rolls On Foundation (LRO) (a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for young people affected by spinal cord injury and utilizes action sports as a platform to inspire infinite possibilities despite paralysis). In honor of Jeffrey Donovan's birthday that May, we raised $1500 for LRO and we even got a blurb mention in the LRO newsletter.

Some of you may have even met her in person at the June 2009 BN forum meet-up in Washington DC (including the SPY Museum!), which she also helped organize. I wasn’t at the DC meet-up, but I was lucky enough to have met her in Dec. 2009 when she was in New York City & visited some forum members there. She was great at bringing people together! It’s amazing to know someone online, and then to meet them in person & find them even more wonderful, outgoing & funny.

As a moderator, she was hugely instrumental in the organization of the forum and drafting of the Burn Notice forum guidelines. What some of you may not know is that her mother worked in Planning and was a facilitator (community organizing,working with group dynamics, etc.) and Phi turned to her for advice and help when were drafting the BN guidelines & polling members & such – Phi said she had some fascinating conversations with her & we’re so glad she shared her wisdom with us.

Phi was always trying to help think of ways to make this a better place and the forum simply wouldn’t be what it is without her. Over the years there have been hours of countless emails, laughter and chats between the 3 of us moderators (Phi, JennaV & I), and in the early stages of navigating our new roles & how to best work as a team (& how to fight spam & trolls!), we often jokingly called ourselves The Three Modsketeers, which I will forever associate with Phi being at the heart of.

As some of you may have noticed, she had not been on the forum in awhile, as her presence here was derailed since mid-2010 due to serious health problems which hindered her from being on the forum.

Just a few months ago in September 2012, she contacted JennaV & I to let us know how much she missed everyone, thought upon them often & fondly, and said she even hoped to be back on the forum at some point. She said she never intended to be away this long and hoped to be back online for the final season.

I’m sure she won’t mind us letting you know that she wrote this in her email: “And I also hope… that ultimately my interactions as both a member and moderator of the forum have left positive energy and memories in written record form. I have many great memories of all the people I came to know and are too numerous to name and given my shoddy memory following my surgery last year I know I'll leave someone out.”

She really was someone special – such a bright presence here. She will be greatly missed.

Much love to you all.
xo
Natasha

Edited by NatashaFatale, 18 January 2013 - 08:03 PM.

713siggysmuse.png

#3 philliesfan

philliesfan

The love between Michael & Fiona is the heart of the show

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

What a beautiful tribute, Natasha! Thank you.

I did not have the pleasure of knowing Philippa, not really, since I only joined a few months prior to her becoming less active. The intrusion of real-life tragedy into our happy little forum is a jolt. I am saddened to learn that a kindred spirit - even if all that I know I had in common with her was the love of a TV show - has been taken from the world this way. Especially after your moving words, which make me wish I had known Philippa. She sounds like a lovely person. May she and her mother, and the third victim, rest in peace.

MFParis1person.jpg

#4 christyg1119

christyg1119

Tall, Blonde, and Evil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

I didn't get to know her very well, but she was still on the forum when I joined. She was always so kind to me, and I missed her when she wasn't around much anymore. God bless her friends and family.
Posted Image

Sometimes, the only way to find yourself, is to lose yourself to the service of others.
Thanks to bcmom for the photos!

#5 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Thank you, krocla and Natasha, for this news and this thread. I am so, so saddened.

Really, one of the first thoughts that came to my mind is that we are all fans of the show because of the cast and crew, but for many of us here, we are a fandom because of Philippa and what she (among others) brought to this forum.

I started lurking here mid-season 2 (fall 2008) and she was someone whose posts I sought out. Her knowledge was vast and her enthusiasm for the show and pretty much everything knew no bounds. I got up the nerve to join near the end of season 2 and she welcomed me. By watching and reading, I learned how to live online and be positive and share that positive experience with others. Her legacies in this forum are its organization and the upbeat attitude that many of us try to keep going here.

As Natasha mentioned, Philippa and Brenna were the driving forces behind the forum’s contributions to LRO for JD’s birthday. I was proud to take part in that.

You can dig back and see some of her posts. I’ve hunted up two of them: the 2009 meetup thread and the Lesser Evil episode thread, only because I remembered she went off on a discussion of chocolate covered pomegranate seeds. You can sense her infectious enthusiasm there.

A thread I know is around but didn’t dig up was another labor of love for Philippa: You know the commentaries on the S1 DVD (on every episode, remember?)? She transcribed all of them for those who were overseas or didn’t have the DVDs.

There is plenty back there. I am grateful we were blessed with her presence and she helped bring us all together. Prayers for her family. Much love for everyone here.

Signature courtesy of DuctTape

#6 bnfanmab

bnfanmab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

You know how, when you hear of a tragedy like this you are so stunned?! I am just stunned that it happened to one of our number. I am relatively new here, but did stalk for quite some time, so i dont know Phillipa but did read her posts for many months and always appreciated her insights. So sad for her friends and family and those of you here who knew her. So grateful that you are a wonderful supportive family for each other!

#7 bcmom

bcmom

Crazy Gringo

• Members
  • 11,582 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

:o :( I don't know where to begin.... I am in tears.... Phi and LiAnn were really the first people I met here. Wow.... I am so at a loss right now. I hadn't seen or heard from her in quite sometime. I e-mailed her a couple of times lately and they came back. She was so kind to someone who she did not know.... me. She loved Burn Notice but also Touching Evil. I didn't know Touching Evil and was trying to watch it on youtube. Well she sent me copies of the show and I have them now. I cherish them because it is JD and Touching Evil and now because they are what I have from a very kind hearted lady.

Soar free with the eagles now and take your place at the fires of your people who have gone before you. You will be missed by those still here in the walking life, but we know that you are free to travel where you want now. You will make yourself known to those you visit. Thank you for being a friend even though we never met.
Posted Image

#8 doc100

doc100

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

This is tragic to hear. We read/watch these things on the news, but never imagine they will touch someone close to us. My condolences & prayers are with her family & friends.

I first caught Burn Notice toward the end of season 1 & immediately went searching for more info. That search lead me to this board. I lurked for quite a long while, before I finally got up the nerve to register & post. I remember Philippa's posts, because they were quite insightful. Plus she added a literary/poetic element to each discussion. And who could forget the always present pic of Barry! I had wondered for a while were she had gone. There are so many posters who have disappeared from that earlier days of this series. The episode discussions would go on forever back in those days. I also remember all the Michael-Fi discussions from the early season episodes. Folks would grasp at any little "couple" tidbit only to have Michael say something idiotic to Fi in the following episode, dashing all our hopes.

Natasha, your tribute was beautiful. One suggestion, perhaps you could provide a link to this thread, so her family & friends could read everyone's condolences & remembrances of Philippa.
My BURN NOTICE Fanfiction: APATHY; SORROW

#9 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

I just tweeted this, but in case Matt or any of the writers come here to read this: Would be great to have a character in season 7 named for her (Philippa or Elizabeth), ideally a good guy. Would love to see that happen. Kusa replied that it should be Barry's girlfriend. :)

Signature courtesy of DuctTape

#10 MsSully

MsSully

All Burn Notice, all the time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

What a wonderful idea, Karen.

There are so many who benefitted from Phi influence on this thread. Her overwhelming kindness and strength. Her humor and wisdom. I am so sad to hear about her illness and struggles. Angels do walk the earth. God bless her and her mom. May she walk in the light of heaven. May her family and friends find comfort in the memories and gifts Phi gave.

Posted Image

#11 lovethatmonk

lovethatmonk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

As many others have posted...I'm in shock. Phil was so kind to me when I moved over here..mostly lurking from the Monk board...when I started to watch BN...She even sent me PM's asking me how I am and supported me when I was low. We chatted about the donation in JD's name to LRO...that was great that she appreciated my input!

As with kdip's previous post...I do hope that Matt will do as we ask and name a character for Phil. She was a kind soul who, no matter who you are, made you feel welcomed here.

Thank you Phil....I will miss you...Sending Burner Hugs to your family and many friends....

LTM

#12 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • 23,370 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

It’s unusual for me to be at a loss for words but this news is such a shock. Phi was probably the first person I got to know on the Burn Notice Forum way back when. After lurking around reading the forum for nearly a year, I decided to take the plunge and join. Phi was not only welcoming but kind and considerate. We all looked forward to her insightful and often very funny posts. Phi was such a kind, friendly and gentle soul and I am truly saddened to learn of her passing. Her death is so senseless and tragic.

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

#13 Kimbee

Kimbee

Lego Ooba Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

Phi was around when I started on the forums, and she was so lovely and accommodating. She will be missed.
I would support a character tribute for her, all the way. It's the least we could do for such a lovely community member.
Rest in Peace, and thank you for everything you have done for all of us in the boards Phi.
Thank you very much. xoxo
Posted Image Plus Posted Image Equals happy Me!!

#14 philliesfan

philliesfan

The love between Michael & Fiona is the heart of the show

• Members
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

I love the idea of Barry having a friend named after Philippa. Wonderful thought, Karen.

This sounds like it fits Philippa.

Posted Image

Posted Image

MFParis1person.jpg

#15 DuctTape

DuctTape

I'll take my chances!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Rest in Peace and Take Gentle Care Phi.
Sending heartfelt prayers to her family and friends.

I cried tonight and it's hard to come up with the right words. I keep thinking how welcoming Elizabeth was, and what a sweet, encouraging friend. Her posts were funny, creative, sometimes silly. She liked diving into the episode discussions looking at parallels and literature imagery. It was wonderful how she showered our actors and writers with praise and made the forum a fun place to hang. Here's a couple post examples
Jeffrey's acting after Michael shot Victor (#172)
Bookending Kisses (#175)
Parallels LE and the Pilot (post #216)

Something remarkable: Elizabeth took us beyond the forum. For example, Phi and Brenna organized a donation to Jeffrey Donovan's favorite charity for his 2009 birthday. That year JD sat on the board of @LifeRollsOn and was also the keynote speaker for their annual fund raiser. Secretly Phi and Brenna pm-ed fans on the forum. LifeRollsOn created a special account for us. We raised $1,350 by his birthday before it became public. I think once all the forum found out the final amount rose to around $2,000 with over 100 participating. Jeffrey just happened to be at the LRO office on his birthday and the director told him about the contribution in his honor. A few weeks later, Elizabeth began volunteering at LifeRollsOn as well.

:) A happy news article about the JD birthday gift: Burn Notice Fans Go Covert for Charity
:) The forum thread is here: LRO donation in honor of Jeffrey Donovan

Edited by DuctTape, 20 January 2013 - 04:44 AM.

3Yogurtsv5-IgnitetheLight.jpg

Lots of places in the world with C4 and yogurt

#16 LGia19

LGia19

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

To repeat the words of many, such a horrific shock.

Phi was the bright light that welcomed all here. She made everyone feel at ease. She always had a kind word or personal message to make you smile. When she started the Life Rolls On donation in 2009, to me, it was surprising that someone would be that thoughtful and go out of their way, but with Phi she was that way... always. We were not as close as others but she had a way of making you feel she was there... always.

I was never one who was good with words more with music. So quoting a Vera Lynn song -

"We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. but I know we'll meet again, some sunny day. Keep smiling through , just like you always do, till the blue skies drive the dark clouds, far away."

Such a sweet soul, May you rest in Peace. Prayers and comfort to all who knew her. Peace, Gia

#17 JennaV

JennaV

• Moderators
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Elizabeth, words cannot express how much you’ll be missed…your warmth, insight, humor, and generous spirit, but most of all, your caring heart. Pablo Casals said, “I feel the capacity to care is the thing that gives life its greatest significance.” Caring for others was your bright light and so very significant in your life. Your heart touched lives around you, including mine, with joy, gratitude, compassion, and always, a feeling of specialness. You were that kind of person.

May you rest in peace now with your dear mom, whom I know you loved so much. My heart goes out to your family and friends, especially three members here - evelina, mrohr, and Claire.

You will never be forgotten, sweet friend.

#18 DebraL

DebraL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,630 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Rest in peace Elizabeth and Barbara. We will miss you and treasure the friendship you had with us. .

Edited by DebraL, 18 January 2013 - 11:56 PM.

#19 CAGilder

CAGilder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Dear, dear, Elizabeth. I will remember (and reread) always our messages and remember your kind soul, your incredible insights, and your thoughtful way with words. The giggles, the jokes, and our mutual love for Bruce Campbell's hair... none of it will be forgotten.

May your soul rest in peace and your spirit fly on wings of love.

You will be missed, my dear.
Certified Burnologist

Posted Image

#20 CAGilder

CAGilder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

I just tweeted this, but in case Matt or any of the writers come here to read this: Would be great to have a character in season 7 named for her (Philippa or Elizabeth), ideally a good guy. Would love to see that happen. Kusa replied that it should be Barry's girlfriend. :)

Karen, I had this thought, too, tonight. It would be a fantastic tribute... especially if linked with Barry in some way.
Certified Burnologist

Posted Image

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved