• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 unpocoloco13

unpocoloco13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

I know there has been a lot of speculation going around that season 8 will be the final season of Psych. I don't really know what I believe. It seems odd that it would only get an 8 episode order, but couldn't they always order more if season 7 does really well? I mean we have been told that if season 7 was the last season, the final episode would be a huge letdown. Maybe USA wanted to renew early to give the loyal fans a finale they deserve, but also allow time to order more episodes if they want to renew for longer.

Now this is all purely speculation on my part. What does everyone else think about the possible cancellation?
Posted Image

Posted Image

"Since I've met you, I... I've been thinking of getting a car." <3 Shawn

"You're very nice... for a slut." :P Lady in gift shop

"The best things, the richest things, aren't supposed to come easy." Juliet

#2 nzshulesluva

nzshulesluva

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

IMO I really do think this is the last season of Psych. Here is why I think that, mainly because how much we got messed around with season premier and them not telling us much until us fans kind d forced there hand. Also since the actors were only contracted on for 7 seasons each season will bring contract negotiations and the price per episdoe for each actor might go up as well. From what I have seen with various differnet favourite TV shows of mine whenever a show gets a cut in episodes for their season the sow get cancelled soon after that.

#3 Shulesrockz

Shulesrockz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:16 AM

Looking at this realistically…

I have been thinking about this for a while now and i have come to the conclusion that the show isn't getting cancelled it's just ending, and it's going to end the way creator Steve Franks intended from the start. In my opinion the main reason why season 8 is getting only 8 episodes wasn't a network decision, i think they would have given them more if they had asked for them. Steve mentioned at Comic Con last year that he wanted 120 episodes and a possible movie. Well if you add these 8 episodes of season 8 that will bring us up to a total 119 episodes (the reason he came up with 120 is because he probably counted season 1 as having 16 when it only had 15).

Anyway i think that it is pretty clear that a decision had already been made to end the show and it has been mapped out this way for a while now, maybe as far back as season 5. You have to take in to account several things. The cast signed up for seven years and Steve knew that contracts would need to be renewed after that and he knew that the budget for production would suffer a serious cut because the casts salaries would be substantially increased, so to compensate that and to make sure that the network gave them the go ahead for season 8 he decided to end the series with only 8 episodes thus satisfying financially both the cast and the network. It makes total sense. Also if that was not the case then i am sure that the cast would be on board with the #psychoswant16 campaign and they clearly aren't because they know better. Yes Dulé has come out in support but i think he is just being kind and/or motivated by financial reasons because obviously more episodes means more cash.

@Psych_USA has not acknowledged the campaign for 16 episodes in season 8, @Psychwrites or any of the writers on twitter have acknowledged the campaign. I have tweeted asking the cast members out right why they aren't supporting the campaign and none of them have responded. So with that said i am pretty certain that it's a done deal. Also aside from the sides that i posted there was hardly any information leaked about season 7 because this season big, big changes are going to happen with relationships and other story lines that are setting up the end of the series, it's so obvious.

Aside from Dulé i will be extremely, extremely surprised if any of the cast members or writers come out in support of the campaign to get more episodes. If they do then i apologize for this post, but i highly doubt that they will.

Looking at it in a positive but probably unrealistic way…

If by some miracle the shows ratings increase substantially beyond the usual 2.5 to 3 million viewers in season 7 then i guess it is possible that it could prolong the shows life and we could also get an extended season 8. So if that was the case and considering how much the cast love each other and love working on the show, not to mention the current economic climate, i pretty much think they would all be on board because like i said before the decision to end with 8 episodes was probably Steve Franks and not the casts.

I would absolutely LOVE this scenario and i would love the show to get to 10 seasons because even though i had my doubts with the awful season 5.0 the show came back to life in season 6 and i still think it has a lot to give and is still as fresh as ever, and as long as they could keep it that way i would love to see it go to season 10 of course i would, nothing would make me happier.

Whatever happens the truth about season 8 being the last will not be revealed until season 7 is over, and if it is the last then i imagine they will air it in the fall of this year almost as an extension of season 7 to wrap up the series in a nice little bow. I doubt they will make us wait until 2014, i do not think that the network will make that mistake again.

Anyway this is my honest opinion, take it, or leave it.

Edited by Shulesrockz, 06 January 2013 - 06:23 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 MarthanotGeorge

MarthanotGeorge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Nailed it! Shulesrocks :) Finally someone mentioned the difference between a show being cancelled and a show ending! And that the only way more episodes would be ordered is if it recieved a HUGE increase in LIVE ratings. Not downloaded, not after 3 days on your DVR, not if the viewer fastforwards thru commercials. People equate the liking on facebook or tweeting, tumblr'ing, pinteresting, making a youtube video, getglue-ing, shazaming about the show & playing games on the website with watching the show LIVE on a TV. And don't understand that all their cheerleading doesn't keep the show on the air. That exburance should be directed to the day before and the day of episodes, and push for LIVE viewing. That may increase the chance of a Nielsen viewer to be reminded to tune in. Also, after an episode, mention what you thought about it. That may get some other Nielsen households to watch during the 3 day window.

Edited by MarthanotGeorge, 06 January 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#5 Shulesrockz

Shulesrockz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Nailed it! Shulesrocks :) Finally someone mentioned the difference between a show being cancelled and a show ending! And that the only way more episodes would be ordered is if it recieved a HUGE increase in LIVE ratings. Not downloaded, not after 3 days on your DVR, not if the viewer fastforwards thru commercials. People equate the liking on facebook or tweeting, tumblr'ing, pinteresting, making a youtube video, getglue-ing, shazaming about the show & playing games on the website with watching the show LIVE on a TV. And don't understand that all their cheerleading doesn't keep the show on the air. That exburance should be directed to the day before and the day of episodes, and push for LIVE viewing. That may increase the chance of a Nielsen viewer to be reminded to tune in. Also, after an episode, mention what you thought about it. That may get some other Nielsen households to watch during the 3 day window.

Thanks MNG! :) I also totally agree with everything you just pointed out because they are the bare hard core facts there are no two ways about it. Before i reflected and really gave some serious thought to this whole season 8 situation, i was on board with the campaign but i then began to realize that it's a futile campaign and that the only possible way to keep the show going beyond season 8 is to se an impressive increase in LIVE viewing during both seasons 7 and 8. Money talks more than ever in this business and if the numbers don't add up no amount of signatures or internet campaigns are going to work unless it is to GET PEOPLE TO WATCH THE SHOW LIVE!! That is the only way that Psych will continue beyond season 8.

So i propose that instead of campaigning for more episodes, just because we think the show deserves it… what we need to do is get the word out about Psych, get as many people as possible to watch the show live, that's where the Psychos energy should be, if not we are just waisting our time.

There is also a possibility that Steve Franks just doesn't want to continue the show regardless of the ratings. This is a sad possibility but could also be true. Nonetheless that should not deter us from trying to keep the show on the air, those of us that want that. Steve is a great guy and he loves this show and the fans with great enthusiasm and i will totally respect his decision because i think that he is the one that knows whats best for the show in my opinion. ;)

Edited by Shulesrockz, 06 January 2013 - 10:29 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 skylucy

skylucy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

I agree that 8 will be the last. They haven't said it--but in a way they have by the fact that it was renewed so early (never happened before) and that it is only 8 episodes--to tie everything up. I think that was given to them because it (the show, the actors, the producers, the crew and the fans) deserved to have the show with a definite ending. As James said, with Steve Franks it's definitely going to be a happy ending--but only story wise because a heck of a lot of us will be crying on the inside (and out :unsure: )

The only part I will disagree with is that Steve Franks wanted to end Psych. I don't believe he really did but he wanted to give it the ending that he and the others wanted it to have. So, since it was ending, he was given the episodes necessary to give it the ending he always wanted.

(I also think that the 2 hour musical is his movie--although, I'm still hoping that the grand finale of Season 8 will be a at least a 2 hour blow-out of epic proportions!!)

#7 MarthanotGeorge

MarthanotGeorge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I agree that 8 will be the last. They haven't said it--but in a way they have by the fact that it was renewed so early (never happened before) and that it is only 8 episodes--to tie everything up. I think that was given to them because it (the show, the actors, the producers, the crew and the fans) deserved to have the show with a definite ending. As James said, with Steve Franks it's definitely going to be a happy ending--but only story wise because a heck of a lot of us will be crying on the inside (and out :unsure: )

The only part I will disagree with is that Steve Franks wanted to end Psych. I don't believe he really did but he wanted to give it the ending that he and the others wanted it to have. So, since it was ending, he was given the episodes necessary to give it the ending he always wanted.

(I also think that the 2 hour musical is his movie--although, I'm still hoping that the grand finale of Season 8 will be a at least a 2 hour blow-out of epic proportions!!)

This is the part of TV fanaticism that I dislike. The thought that a creator has an story idea that is never-ending. Why would it be the case that Steve Franks doesn't want to end the series? If an author writes a novel, a reader would expect a clear ending. It is a rare and wonderful TV series that gets this treatment, but I assume that a writer for TV still sees the story they created for the screen as having a beginning, a middle and an end. I feel like painting Steve Franks as victim in this situaion is a mistake. And although things can change (ratings-miracle wise), why can't it be the case that the ratings have lowered enough, that, while still decent, make it easy to end the series? So that the writers can say goodbye. And we can say goodbye as well. Viewing this as a situation where the production side has been put upon sullies the season to come and the eighth season as well. We have an opportunity to enjoy all of it, without being angry at the network or disappointed at the cast/crew for "quitting". Why not take that route?

Edited by MarthanotGeorge, 07 January 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#8 pineapplegirl123

pineapplegirl123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

If the show ends my heart will be broken! But Shulesrockz, you have a point and if Steve does decide that it is the end of the series, we have to deal with that. Though it will be a sad time when it does end :(, it will be the ending Steve wanted from the very beginning. And that thought of it ending just brings tears to my eyes...

kiss-gif_zpsba8b7fee.gif

Since the invention of the kiss there have been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind...

Kiss-in-the-dark-smaller-gi_zpsf9de3a1a.

"I'd say that Shawn Spencer is a boy. And that Roday is a man."
-Maggie Lawson

“I have the best girlfriend in the entire world. She is made out of 
sunshine.”
-James Roday

"Home... should be wherever you are."
-Shawn Spencer

"Maybe the best things, the richest things, aren't supposed to come easily. And that sometimes the moments that make the most sense happen when everything else doesn't."
-Juliet O'Hara

Pssst. Come check me out on tumblr!
I'm a Psych fanfiction writer! Check out my fanfiction page!
Also on youtube!
gifs made by me ^ _ ^

#9 Easter2

Easter2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

I don't feel so bad about the show ending. I mean, I love this show, don't get me wrong, but all things come to an end and I'm a big proponent of a show not overstaying its welcome (case in point, Degrassi, CSI, Law and Order). I'm a much bigger fan of a show if they can just stay on the air for a few years and then just end it properly already. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how Steve Franks and the crew will end the show. I'm guessing Shawn and Jules fight, get back together, then Shawn proposes, possibly at Lassiter's wedding. Gus meets a woman that he later decides to move in with, Henry remarries (if he's still alive) and maybe we finally get to see Chief Vick's husband, if we haven't already. Shawn will also probably come clean to Jules, which could be the source of some tension at first, letting one more person in on his secret. Jules probably says she suspected all along he wasn't psychic and the Chief will probably say she knows Shawn isn't psychic, but knows he has great investigative ability, then followed by a moment of mutual respect between the two. What do you guys predict?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Finale, season, last, final

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved