• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Aw3som3

Aw3som3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

I hope that Burn Notice doesn't have one of those fairy-tale endings where the good guys all win.

This is because Michael is a spy. When it comes to espionage, there is no perfect ending. You don't learn everything you want to know and you can't stop all bad guys. Anson may be an a-hole but he's not evil. He's trying to rebuild an organization that ran missions too dangerous for normal intelligence organizations(there's no telling how many lives his organization saved).

#2 ColleenM

ColleenM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

Aw3som3, I agree with you. It is easy to forget that Michael's mission is highly personal even though he considers it to righting an international wrong. There are 2 sides to all stories and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Also - I have no predictions, just my hopes. The most perfect ending to a series I ever saw was the ending for Monk. I watch it over and over and I cry every time. It was so beautifully done. And they all went back to work as though the following week there would be another episode. (ER ended in a similar fashion.) That is what I hope for for Burn Notice; no final solutions, no real ending. Team Westen lives forever. Classy and classic. Just what it deserves.

#3 auroracat

auroracat

I like mine a little toasty!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

I just have to disagree on one tiny thing - Anson is definitely evil, or at the very least a sociopath. He has no remorse in killing the good guys to further his aims - and while, yes, his organization did do some "is about good" stuff that's no longer why Anson runs it. It is about his own power and hubris.

I agree that BN should have a Monk style ending. There should be resolution in that we know The Machine is truely dead and gone and no longer any sort of threat to Team Westen, but as for the rest, we should have a sense that they go on with the lives, helping desperate people.

#4 cargram

cargram

Fiona, feisty and fabulous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

I don't even want to think about Burn Notice ending.....there is no good way :(
Posted Image

sig courtesy of AggieThrower30

#5 Aw3som3

Aw3som3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

I just have to disagree on one tiny thing - Anson is definitely evil, or at the very least a sociopath. He has no remorse in killing the good guys to further his aims - and while, yes, his organization did do some "is about good" stuff that's no longer why Anson runs it. It is about his own power and hubris.

I agree that BN should have a Monk style ending. There should be resolution in that we know The Machine is truely dead and gone and no longer any sort of threat to Team Westen, but as for the rest, we should have a sense that they go on with the lives, helping desperate people.

How many "good guys" has Anson killed? I only remember him killing 2 guards at the British embassy, the rapist that was guarding his weapons, and the guard at the factory when he was escaping. That means he's killed 3 "good guys", but if killing those 3 saves hundreds more then I would consider that "the ends justify the means".

How do you know that Anson runs the organization purely for his personal gain? Sure he may benefit from it but he isn't doing it simply for himself.

As for Michael having a normal life in the end there are some quotes I think u should read.

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”

"Those who do battle with monsters, should take care that they themselves do not become monsters. For when you look long into the abyss the abyss looks long into you"

Michael has done both he's hunted men and looked into the abyss. I don't think it's possible for him to settle down and have a "normal life"

#6 auroracat

auroracat

I like mine a little toasty!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

How many "good guys" has Anson killed? I only remember him killing 2 guards at the British embassy, the rapist that was guarding his weapons, and the guard at the factory when he was escaping. That means he's killed 3 "good guys", but if killing those 3 saves hundreds more then I would consider that "the ends justify the means".

The stand in for his wife "Claire" and she was some completely innocent totally uninvolved person. There is absolutely no was that can be anything other than cold blooded murder solely to advance his own agenda. As were the two guards in the consulare building. Indirectly there is the tacit agreement to recruit spies by killing their families (Victor), the suicides of Tavian and Kessler - his own men. Clearly he has no problems with killing off his own people if it furthers the goals of his organization.

How do you know that Anson runs the organization purely for his personal again? Sure he may benefit from it but he isn't doing it simply for himself.

Why continue the organiztion and try to rebuild it after Michael tore it down? If he weren't getting a major personal "kick" out of it, he would have just disappeared with his money never to be seen or heard from again. I think his actions have shown that he is a megalomanic. I think he may have started it for the "greater good" but his own ego, hubris and desire for controlling power overtook him and now it's all about Anson.

As for Michael having a normal life in the end there are some quotes I think u should read.

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

"Those who do battle with monsters, should take care that they themselves do not become monsters. For when you look long into the abyss the abyss looks long into you"

Michael has done both he's hunted men and looked into the abyss. I don't think it's possible for him to settle down and have a "normal life"

"Normal" for Michael and Team Westen, not normal as we would define it.

Edited by auroracat, 14 July 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#7 packewer

packewer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

Well the writers of Burn Notice are far more creative than me, but I think it'd be nice to have a somewhat happy resolution at the end. I feel like Michael and everyone has been put through the wringer. When the show calls it quits it'd be nice for that season to start tying things up. So maybe mid season Michael FINALLY gets his "unburn" notice and goes back to work only to realize he's not the same spy anymore. His life isn't overseas because he has roots in Miami. After some time he realizes that even though he finally got what he wanted, he's moved on and is finally able to put being a spy and the CIA to rest. He decides to start a PI type of business (like what he's done for the past 6 seasons, whatever you want to call it) with Fi, Sam, and Jesse. I'd like to see Maddie meet someone who makes her happy and for Fi and Michael to finally say I love you :) Some people may not feel that making everything sort of come full circle is best for Burn Notice, and that's ok, but in the end I think everyone should be content. I hate series finales that leave you hanging!

Edited by packewer, 14 July 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#8 MollyMcRae

MollyMcRae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Depends on how old they are when it ends. Wasn't there an episode that noted the put the age range for active spies. It ended at 50 which Sam is already past. Michael was at peak spyness when he was burned. That was probably a factor in deciding to burn him.

I once imagined Team Westen on the run using substitute high school level teachers as covers. Michael could teach shop, MMA; Fi, chemistry; Sam, swimming; and Maddie could be a counselor. No reason why these could not be retirement careers.

Just kidding.

Edited by MollyMcRae, 14 July 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#9 ColleenM

ColleenM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Depends on how old they are when it ends. Wasn't there an episode that noted the put the age range for active spies. It ended at 50 which Sam is already past. Michael was at peak spyness when he was burned. That was probably a factor in deciding to burn him.

I once imagined Team Westen on the run using substitute high school level teachers as covers. Michael could teach shop, MMA; Fi, chemistry; Sam, swimming; and Maddie could be a counselor. No reason why these could not be retirement careers.

Just kidding.

You had me going there for a minute, Molly! Love your sense of humor!

#10 Lucazzy

Lucazzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

I absolutely hate "happy" endings. Action drama shows should not be like fairy tales. 24 had a good ending, though it left some plotlines over the years open. As long as Burn Notice gives us an action-packed, dramatic finale with a ton of twists that all gets brought together and summed up in a heart-pounding conclusion, I will be happy.

Edited by Lucazzy, 16 July 2012 - 09:18 AM.

Shows that everyone should watch:

-Burn Notice (Best characters, great acting)
-Breaking Bad (Best character development and excellent acting)
-24 (Master of cliffhanger, thrilling show)
-Prison Break (Similar to 24, massive government conspiracy and that good stuff)
-Lost (Great acting, character development. Great sci-fi show)
-Homeland (Realistic, entertaining thriller)
-Game of Thrones (Fantasy for people that hate fantasy. Awesome actors, well written characters, tons of twists. Read books first!)

#11 psyched4lotzzapsych

psyched4lotzzapsych

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

Well the writers of Burn Notice are far more creative than me, but I think it'd be nice to have a somewhat happy resolution at the end. I feel like Michael and everyone has been put through the wringer. When the show calls it quits it'd be nice for that season to start tying things up. So maybe mid season Michael FINALLY gets his "unburn" notice and goes back to work only to realize he's not the same spy anymore. His life isn't overseas because he has roots in Miami. After some time he realizes that even though he finally got what he wanted, he's moved on and is finally able to put being a spy and the CIA to rest. He decides to start a PI type of business (like what he's done for the past 6 seasons, whatever you want to call it) with Fi, Sam, and Jesse. I'd like to see Maddie meet someone who makes her happy and for Fi and Michael to finally say I love you :) Some people may not feel that making everything sort of come full circle is best for Burn Notice, and that's ok, but in the end I think everyone should be content. I hate series finales that leave you hanging!

yeah, im hoping for something like that, where Mike is happily out of the official spy game, and takes on clients with his team. Maybe a small, civil wedding for Mike and Fi (i'm just against the BIG WHITE fairy tale wedding thing, but i'm not against Mr. and Mrs. Michael Westen). Sort of like a Monk ending, where everyone gets closure, moves on with life, but have some things remain forever the same.

#12 hamncheese

hamncheese

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

I absolutely hate "happy" endings. Action drama shows should not be like fairy tales. 24 had a good ending, though it left some plotlines over the years open. As long as Burn Notice gives us an action-packed, dramatic finale with a ton of twists that all gets brought together and summed up in a heart-pounding conclusion, I will be happy.

I agree, but I did come up with an idea for a fairy tale happy ending.

After an action packed episode, Michael is finally, fully reinstated into the CIA, cut to commercial, come back from break with "Five years later." subtitle. Michael voice over: "When you're a spy, you're a spy for life. The only form of retirement come in the form of prison or a bullet." <montage of all spies killed or incarcerated on Burn Notice> "As we grow older, some spies continue on in the field driven by our desire to make things right for the things we believe in, no matter the risks." <clip of Jesse doing some sort of spy thing> "Others settle in for more administrative duties, working behind the scenes." <Michael working in spy office.> "Because in the end, we find somethings worth minimizing our risks for." <Michael coming home, Fiona's voice saying "look Nate, your daddy's home" with mini-Westen running up and hugging Michael. The end.>

#13 psyched4lotzzapsych

psyched4lotzzapsych

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

After an action packed episode, Michael is finally, fully reinstated into the CIA, cut to commercial, come back from break with "Five years later." subtitle. Michael voice over: "When you're a spy, you're a spy for life. The only form of retirement come in the form of prison or a bullet." <montage of all spies killed or incarcerated on Burn Notice> "As we grow older, some spies continue on in the field driven by our desire to make things right for the things we believe in, no matter the risks." <clip of Jesse doing some sort of spy thing> "Others settle in for more administrative duties, working behind the scenes." <Michael working in spy office.> "Because in the end, we find somethings worth minimizing our risks for." <Michael coming home, Fiona's voice saying "look Nate, your daddy's home" with mini-Westen running up and hugging Michael. The end.>

AWW! I like that, especially that last part, so sweet! :)

#14 packewer

packewer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

That sounds good and very realistic! But what happens to Sam?

#15 hamncheese

hamncheese

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

That sounds good and very realistic! But what happens to Sam?

Sam continues on in the TV series "The Further Adventures of Sam Axe" where he's now a security consultant working out of Vegas.

#16 Aw3som3

Aw3som3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

I think I'd be cool if Michael had to make a difficult choice. Like either "Give Anson everything he wants to save his friends/families lives or he can kill Anson but it will cost him his family".

I don't think Michael and Fi should get married or have kids. They should become close but I wouldnt think they are the marrying type.

Or an ending where he dies, trying to stop Anson. In a sort of "You can't win them all ending".

Just none of that "they live happily ever after" endings. Nothing in Michaels life has been easy let him go out in the blaze of glory not picking up diapers.

(I'm starting to think these are women who want these happy endings with

#17 packewer

packewer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

I think I'd be cool if Michael had to make a difficult choice. Like either "Give Anson everything he wants to save his friends/families lives or he can kill Anson but it will cost him his family".

I don't think Michael and Fi should get married or have kids. They should become close but I wouldnt think they are the marrying type.

Or an ending where he dies, trying to stop Anson. In a sort of "You can't win them all ending".

Just none of that "they live happily ever after" endings. Nothing in Michaels life has been easy let him go out in the blaze of glory not picking up diapers.

I don't personally care if Fiona and Michael are married or have kids at the end. That's pretty irrelevant to me, but there is no way in heck I want Michael to die! I suffered through that with Prison Break and it sucked.

Safe to say it'll be hard to please 100% of the audience. I think though there is ways to tie in elements into the finale that will please everyone.

At the end of it all, I think it's a nice time to have everyone sort of content. Their lives have all been hell for the past 6+ years. I think there is a way to tie the show together at the end without anymore suffering (i.e. the death of the lead character) while preserving the integrity of the show. Maybe I watch for different reasons than others, but when a show I like ends, I want everything tied up. I hate cliffhanger endings because it feels unfinished to me and the death of the lead after all the seasons of watching feels like a slap in the face. When the show ends it's nice to get a handle on what everyone's future holds and see that what they've worked so hard to do has finally reached a conclusion. I could see Jesse getting a job in D.C., Sam off to retirement with Elsa or another lady friend, Maddie putting the house up for sale ready to move into the future, Fiona gets a job as a P.I. type, and Michael finally gets back in at the CIA. Everyone is sitting around Carlitos drinking iced tea/mojitos when one of them gets a call for a job. They look around at each other and agree to one last gig together and set off. Or you could reverse it and have everyone at the end sitting around Carlitos toasting their last gig. They end with everyone sort of going their separate ways. Either way, end of show.

Edited by packewer, 18 July 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#18 doc100

doc100

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

I definitely don't want Michael or any of the many characters to die. I want them to be happy in the end. I don't have a problem with Michael and Fi being married or not, but I do want them together. The whole thing about kids is a bit ridiculous. At this point in the series Michael is 45 y.o. and Fi is 43 y.o. I certainly don't want the series to end anytime soon, but anyway you look at it, Michael and Fi are a bit old for a pregnancy. The chance certainly isn't zero, but it is fairly remote. Any pregnancy would be high risk with very high chances for a child with a disability. I wrote a pregnancy into my story, but they ultimately suffered a pregnancy loss, and I had the "doctor" (in the story) note the chances for a successful pregnancy were remote. The only way I see them with kids is through adoption. At least that's the "realistic" approach to me, age does have some drawbacks and consequences.
My BURN NOTICE Fanfiction: APATHY; SORROW

#19 beancheile

beancheile

"My Brains, Your Brawn"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

After 6, 7,8.. years of Michael's quest, whether it be the quest of "unburning" or that of Michael's character development, I want to know there has been a point. I want to see the characters reach some kind of personal satisfaction to know all the angst and pain of the past years have had a point. I don't necessarily need a marriage but I hope our star crossed lovers can live out their golden years with a bit of happiness and a future together. I hope that Sam can return to his carefree retirement. Not with sugar mommies and endless mojitos but with easy friendships and possibly love. I hope that Jesse can concentrate on his chosen career and not be pulled into endless side jobs. Maybe he would have some spare time to develop other friendships and relationships. I want most of all to see Michael fully become the man that he can be, not just a spy. I hope his reputation is fully restored and he can move on. He is well on that path. hopefully, we will have another season (or two) to see where each of the characters is heading.
Posted Image

#20 RangeRover

RangeRover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Not real happy thinking about the end of BN, but I'm pretty firm on what I DO want:

An action-packed lead up (be in a few episodes prior or the final one) to the end
As few loose ends as possible (I like to have as much reasonable "closure" on my favorite shows as possible - it just feels more complete to me)
They are all finally content

I do NOT want:

Fairy tales. I do not want Michael and Fi to get married. To have a wedding of any kind? So not their style! Dumping that in to make a "fairy tale" ending would be a disservice to their characters. They have mad love for each other but it's beyond anything as traditional/expected as marriage. And kids? No. Again, "Michael's too busy running around with a gun to take care of a hamster, let alone a baby!" Keep it there.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved