8 replies to this topic

#1 Budgerigar

Budgerigar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:44 AM

Hi everyone,

Annie and Auggie are my favourite characters on Covert Affairs.

I admire Auggie for the way he has come to terms with his disability. I have read a couple of times on the internet that people wanted Auggie to get his sight back.

What do you think?

In my opinion Auggie wouldn´t be Auggie if he were sighted. Not that I would wish anything bad to him, but his blindness is part of him just like the fact that he has light brown hair etc.
He is incredibly good at what he does and very functional within his limitations. I would not want him to change. Compared to the Auggie we saw in "Half a World away" when he was still a special forces member he is a very different person now.

Edited by Budgerigar, 11 July 2012 - 07:49 AM.

#2 JeeJee

JeeJee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hi,

Yes I agree that his blindness makes him cool because he "sees" the world very differently and therefore responds to it differently. STILL sometimes I do wish that he could see so he could have a more active role in the field. Sometimes I think him being blind is such a waste of an awesome character.

#3 Budgerigar

Budgerigar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

STILL sometimes I do wish that he could see so he could have a more active role in the field. Sometimes I think him being blind is such a waste of an awesome character.

Yeah, that´s what I think too. He could do more field work, but due to his sight impairment this is much too difficult (and dangerous) for him, especially if he is alone.

I really do enjoy watching him when he is in the field with Annie. I ´d love to see that more often.

#4 Saber

Saber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

Yeah, that´s what I think too. He could do more field work, but due to his sight impairment this is much too difficult (and dangerous) for him, especially if he is alone.

I really do enjoy watching him when he is in the field with Annie. I ´d love to see that more often.

Then next week's episode looks like it's perfect for you! :lol:

As for your first post, yes, I know some people want him to be able to see, but I'm glad the show isn't going in that direction. His field experience + his tech knowledge make him an incredibly effective asset in his current (and also former) position. He's very perceptive, very intelligent, and very adaptable. I think he's best utilized where's he's at, even if he could see and even though he does really miss being in the field.
Saber

Posted Image

#5 Budgerigar

Budgerigar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

As for your first post, yes, I know some people want him to be able to see, but I'm glad the show isn't going in that direction. His field experience + his tech knowledge make him an incredibly effective asset in his current (and also former) position. He's very perceptive, very intelligent, and very adaptable. I think he's best utilized where's he's at, even if he could see and even though he does really miss being in the field.

Hi Saber,

yes, I agree with you he is intelligent and very adaptable. I think if he could see he would probably be another person. With the Auggie we saw fighting in Iraq with his unit he doesn´t have much in common. The "other" Auggie did not like Jazz Music and he seemed to be much more of a "macho". I prefer Auggie the way he is now.

I also remember a comment made by Chris Gorham, on the DVD collection season 1, where he and his colleagues comment the episode "Communication Breakdown". Chris said that many people ask whether Auggie will get his sight back and that he wouldn´t want that for his character.

#6 Sglab

Sglab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

Completely agree. As a person with a disability it is nice to see a character like Auggie. We need more characters with disabilities showing they are people who can contribute like everyone else. And I love that he's not a one dimensional character. He has a sense of humor, he gets angry and he loves and all that which is human.

#7 Budgerigar

Budgerigar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:57 AM

Completely agree. As a person with a disability it is nice to see a character like Auggie. We need more characters with disabilities showing they are people who can contribute like everyone else. And I love that he's not a one dimensional character. He has a sense of humor, he gets angry and he loves and all that which is human.

I can share your opinion. People with disabilities are in most cases shown as weak, full of self pity and incapable. Would be great to have more shows with disabled people to show that they can be very skilled within their limitations.
What ´s interesting about Auggie is that he is a "techno geek" (as he says), he has not self pity and he is a real womanizer. His personality has many aspects and that makes him interesting.

#8 Srbka

Srbka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hello, everyone and guten Tag to Budgerigar. I agree with all of you. I would not want Auggie to regain his sight. People with disabilities are such a large part of our population, and yet they never seem to make it to television or film, or if they do, the disability is typically used as nothing more than a prop or a plot device. They use the disability to make us feel sorry for the character, nothing more.
Aside from wanting to see more characters with disabilities on television, I would especially be saddened to see Auggie regain his sight because Chris Gorham is one of the first actors that I have seen who actually did a darn good job of playing the disability. Granted, in an ideal world, characters with disabilities would be played by actors with those disabilities, but at least Chris Gorham has made a real effort to play the physical aspects of his character well. (And while we are on that topic, I like how he plays the infantry side of Auggie. That is another part of him that will never go away.) Frankly, I am tired of seeing characters like Artie from Glee. The "woe is me, I'm a cripple" bit is way overdone, and I'm sorry, but Kevin McHale has no fluency with the chair, especially when dancing.
Another reason I don't want Auggie to regain his sight is because the show's creators seem to pride themselves on the authenticity and realism of the show. Yes, there are sight-saving operations done nowadays, but in reality, most blind people stay blind. That is just a fact of life.

#9 Budgerigar

Budgerigar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:16 AM

Hello, everyone and guten Tag to Budgerigar. I agree with all of you. I would not want Auggie to regain his sight. People with disabilities are such a large part of our population, and yet they never seem to make it to television or film, or if they do, the disability is typically used as nothing more than a prop or a plot device. They use the disability to make us feel sorry for the character, nothing more.
Aside from wanting to see more characters with disabilities on television, I would especially be saddened to see Auggie regain his sight because Chris Gorham is one of the first actors that I have seen who actually did a darn good job of playing the disability. Granted, in an ideal world, characters with disabilities would be played by actors with those disabilities, but at least Chris Gorham has made a real effort to play the physical aspects of his character well. (And while we are on that topic, I like how he plays the infantry side of Auggie. That is another part of him that will never go away.) Frankly, I am tired of seeing characters like Artie from Glee. The "woe is me, I'm a cripple" bit is way overdone, and I'm sorry, but Kevin McHale has no fluency with the chair, especially when dancing.
Another reason I don't want Auggie to regain his sight is because the show's creators seem to pride themselves on the authenticity and realism of the show. Yes, there are sight-saving operations done nowadays, but in reality, most blind people stay blind. That is just a fact of life.

Hey Srbka,

nice to read from you. Obviously you speak a little German. :rolleyes:
We seem to share the same opinion. I think Auggie is okay just the way it is and obviously some women think that his disability makes him more attractive.

Some other people say that it might be nicer to have Auggie regain his eysight. But as you already said, the writers of CA think it is more realistic to leave everything the way it is. For most people who lost their sight, there is no such miracle cure to restore their vision. Being an ex-nurse I have come across a couple of blind people in my professional life.

A friend of mine also lost 80% of her eyesight in a motorbike accident and despite all her attempts there is no treatment that would make her completely sighted again.
The thing is, that when you first see her, you wouldn´t guess she is visually impaired. I know that there was some criticism that Auggie in many situations doesn´t appear blind. But in my opinion Chris Gorham does an excellent job. When Auggie is in his usual environment you may forget that he cannot see , but when being outiside he has to rely to a greater extent on other people´s help.And this is also true for visually impaired people in real life.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved