16 replies to this topic

#1 cheriemorte

cheriemorte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

I hope the wigs behind the show make the network note this above anything else:

The addition of Ben has basically saved this show. I and many others did not care for Fairly Legal in its first season because the focus was too one-dimensional on Kate, the relationship with Justin was endearingly sweet but not passionate enough to inspire more than a 'nice couple' scenario, and it was all-together more boring than captivating in its plot arcs, and all served as a backdrop to Kate's good-hearted yet almost-on-the-edge of irritating behavior. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. The show was non-distinguishable from the other expected character relationships, pratfalls, and heroine acts. The great qualities of what make Kate a wonderful and amusing person, the buildup of the secondary characters, and the cases themselves should remain the same and at the heart of what you were going for -- the execution just had to be changed a bit in order to improve the overall scope of the show.

The addition of Ben has made the show go from monotony to an obsession for your influx of viewers. This second season has exploded on the internet, with the majority being Ben and Kate fans online. I can't miss an episode now. Ben is a hilarious ass and his non-caring shtick is getting taken down little by little. He actually challenges Kate and they have more chemistry than she ever had with Justin. The sexual tension is insanely good. I really hope they're not dumb enough to remove him from the show. Make this character long-term so we can delve more deeply into their partnership, relationship, and altogether more multifaceted world involving Ben, Kate, Lauren, and Leo rather than cases featuring only Kate as it was before. Plus, as much as people like Justin, it pales in comparison to the intensity between Ben and Kate. Great guy, but lackluster expectation of their ex-marriage. Justin would be a safety net to return to whereas Ben poses what Kate perhaps needs most in the opposite sex. A partner, lover, friend, and fighter. Moreover, Ben and Kate have a chance to better one another and learn from each other's insecurities and bravados. It's an amazing relationship to watch them bicker, regret, get confused, fight their instincts, and eventually unfold.

Also, go on Tumblr, YouTube, SpoilerTV, FanForum, and many, many, many fan-related and media-press sites. Search the Fairly Legal tag. Kate/Ben has EXPLODED into a phenomenal fan favorite beyond USA's expectations. So many fan gifs, videos, and all. He is the perfect ying to her yang who can call her out on her surreal humanism while she makes the Russian Doll grow a heart. Well done, writers. Well done.

Edited by cheriemorte, 07 May 2012 - 10:10 PM.

#2 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,569 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:45 PM

I hope the wigs behind the show make the network note this above anything else:

The addition of Ben has basically saved this show. I and many others did not care for Fairly Legal in its first season because the focus was too one-dimensional on Kate, the relationship with Justin was endearingly sweet but not passionate enough to inspire more than a 'nice couple' scenario, and it was all-together more boring than captivating in its plot arcs, and all served as a backdrop to Kate's good-hearted yet almost-on-the-edge of irritating behavior. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. The show was non-distinguishable from the other expected character relationships, pratfalls, and heroine acts. The great qualities of what make Kate a wonderful and amusing person, the buildup of the secondary characters, and the cases themselves should remain the same and at the heart of what you were going for -- the execution just had to be changed a bit in order to improve the overall scope of the show.

The addition of Ben has made the show go from monotony to an obsession for your influx of viewers. This second season has exploded on the internet, with the majority being Ben and Kate fans online. I can't miss an episode now. Ben is a hilarious ass and his non-caring shtick is getting taken down little by little. He actually challenges Kate and they have more chemistry than she ever had with Justin. The sexual tension is insanely good. I really hope they're not dumb enough to remove him from the show. Make this character long-term so we can delve more deeply into their partnership, relationship, and altogether more multifaceted world involving Ben, Kate, Lauren, and Leo rather than cases featuring only Kate as it was before. Plus, as much as people like Justin, it pales in comparison to the intensity between Ben and Kate. Great guy, but lackluster expectation of their ex-marriage. Justin would be a safety net to return to whereas Ben poses what Kate perhaps needs most in the opposite sex. A partner, lover, friend, and fighter. Moreover, Ben and Kate have a chance to better one another and learn from each other's insecurities and bravados. It's an amazing relationship to watch them bicker, regret, get confused, fight their instincts, and eventually unfold.

Also, go on Tumblr, YouTube, SpoilerTV, FanForum, and many, many, many fan-related and media-press sites. Search the Fairly Legal tag. Kate/Ben has EXPLODED into a phenomenal fan favorite beyond USA's expectations. So many fan gifs, videos, and all. He is the perfect ying to her yang who can call her out on her surreal humanism while she makes the Russian Doll grow a heart. Well done, writers. Well done.

Well said! Ben not only saved the firm but saved the show.

Edited by LI_Ann, 08 May 2012 - 08:15 PM.

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

#3 Leigh1

Leigh1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

Excellent post Cherie. I am loving Ben and Kate....and yeah, I think the Ben character breathed new life in to the show. It has become a do not miss for me now.

Check out this cute video of them. It is hot!

Sour Cherry

#4 deirdresm

deirdresm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

Could not have said it better myself! The addition of Ben and also the expansion of the other characters on the show has made this my favorite show on the air now. Before I would catch this show occasionally and liked it but something was always missing. They found the missing link...in Ben. Now its a can't miss for me and I'm addicted! Not only is the chemistry between Ben and Kate amazing...but so is the chemistry between Ben and Leo. I'm loving how their friendship is evolving. Not to mention the growth and softening of Lauren this season. I look forward to all their roles expanding. Love this show USA! Anxiously awaiting an announcement that there will be a Season 3!!!

#5 tvfan001

tvfan001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

I do not agree with all that cheirmorte wrote about the Ben character. And in order to provide some balance to this dicussion, I thought I'd take a moment to share a different point of view.

I already posted a full discussion of my opinion a week ago on this very topic so I won't repeat all my opinion again.

I like the Ben character - mostly because he is all the things we don't usually like in a person - arrogant, smart alec, rude, money hungry, etc. And he's fun to watch because he's so opposite of Kate.

For me, what I like about Ben is that he is the bad guy, making trouble, questioning the decisions of the firm, challenging Kate to see things another way, saying things most people would not dare say aloud but are probably thinking.

I absolutely do NOT want to see Kate & Ben in a romantic relationship. It's the fact that they are on opposite sides of the fence that makes it fun to watch them. You want to see which one can insult the other one or pull a fast one on the other one. You want to see Ben make fun of Kate's belief in the value of mediation.

Totally disagree that Justin & Kate are boring - at least not in season one. I will agree that the writers have made the scenes between Kate & Justin in season two rather boring. But season one I thought it was pretty good writing.

Despite the very articulate case made by cheirmorte for matching Ben with Kate, it isn't something I am buying.

The Ben character can do all that you described for Kate in terms of checking Kate, balancing Kate, challenging Kate, pushing Kate, etc - without having to also be her romantic partner. Seeing those two take a roll in the hay would ruin the whole storyline for how their relationship could go. That's a path that makes me say "yuck".

Since the show has started the storyline with Kate & Ben as a romantic pair my reaction is very different. I've actually stopped running to my tv to see the show.

I have watched the Internet and I agree with cheirmorte that there is some excitement about Ben as a character and people are enjoying how the two go after each other with their words. However I don't read that the excitement is about about matching Ben & Kate up as a romantic couple, as the author who started this thread suggests. It's more about people enjoying how the two argue with each other.

I am hopeful that the writers will not follow the suggestion made in this thread to pursue a romantic relationship between Kate & Ben. I'd much rather watch them argue and challenge each other and be forced to respect each others legal skills. And I do not want to watch several seasons of romantic tension - spare us that. It is possible for two people to work together and not have to be in a romance.

Just the few shows this season with having Ben act all sappy over Kate when she is not looking has made me practically ill. If he's a bad boy who makes trouble & likes to challenge, then keep him in character. Don't have Ben looking all soft and pathetic after Kate when she walks away. Come on - who really believes someone like Ben would act like that? I just don't buy that someone with the character traits that have been established for the Ben character would behave this way if they were interested in someone.

I loved Fairly Legal season one - season two has me turning the channel every time there's a romantic potential moment between Kate & Ben. Talk about boring!

You can call Justin & Kate boring if you want - I disagree. With all the negative moments in Kate's life dealing with mediation, I'd like to see her have a warm relationship with someone who gets her. And I thought the two of them did banter in a way that was fun to watch as Justin does not always agree with Kate. With some better writing than is happening for the Justin & Kate scenes this season, they could be fun to watch again.

Only wanted to sign on to say "Kate & Ben" as a romantic couple - no way! Please don't do it writers of the show. Avoid the trap so many other shows of fallen into of forcing a romance between two characters who are often in disagreement. It's not a way to go.

#6 jam26

jam26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

I think Ben is a nerd !! He talks like a sissy, acts like a sissy and is the furthest thing from a real man which Kate needs. He is so annoying. He's probably the guy that got put in his high school locker. Justin may have cheated on Kate but at least he is a man not a guber.

#7 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,569 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

I think watching Ben and Kate's relationship develop is going to be fun. That doesn' t mean I believe they should be a "couple" but let's see what happens. If they continue to click, then maybe. They're both kind of over the top so it could be a match made in heaven.

Some might argue that opposites attract which is why Kate should be with Justin. I have a "been there done that" attitude about their relationship and think that Justin is just too "normal" for Kate.

I'm looking forward to tonight's episode.

Edited by LI_Ann, 01 June 2012 - 05:13 PM.

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

#8 foolishbeat

foolishbeat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

How do you explain the ratings? They've gone way down from season 1.

#9 gmokb

gmokb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

To me Ben has brought nothing to the show and the upcoming pairing of him and Kate has spoiled the show. I really enjoyed watching Season 1 and really looked forward to its return. So far I have been disappointed. I haven't seen this week's episode and am in no hurry to do so whereas last season I had to watch as it was aired.

#10 Asiunia

Asiunia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

Because the show has changed it's formula (and the night, from Tuesday to Friday - which is a harder on ratings) and the new audiences hasn't tuned in yet, IMO. My concern is that they won't tune in if the show continues along most recent lines. The last 3 episodes speak to no one in particular. They had an idea at the beggining of the season to introduce the catalyst and speed up the pace. I personally really liked the faster, better dialogue. Season 1 characters were predictable after couple of first episodes IMO. Ben stirred things up. But now, starting with episode 9 (post "kiss"), I find the show neither exciting nor predictably boring - it's just plain silly! No one behaves in character: Kate appears slightly neurotic, Ben lost his spunk, Leo tries to "stay out of it", Lauren wanders aimlesly the halls of justice, Justin lost his ability to "read" Kate, etc.. At this rate they will not regain Justin's fans but will lose Ben's, I'm affraid.:(

Edited by Asiunia, 06 June 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#11 HuckBerry

HuckBerry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

To me Ben has brought nothing to the show and the upcoming pairing of him and Kate has spoiled the show. I really enjoyed watching Season 1 and really looked forward to its return. So far I have been disappointed. I haven't seen this week's episode and am in no hurry to do so whereas last season I had to watch as it was aired.

100% agree! Nothing says "forced romance with no discernible chemistry" than me trying to watch a show and actually saying, "Ew!!!" out loud.

#12 oceanowl

oceanowl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

I am hopeful that the writers will not follow the suggestion made in this thread to pursue a romantic relationship between Kate & Ben. I'd much rather watch them argue and challenge each other and be forced to respect each others legal skills. And I do not want to watch several seasons of romantic tension - spare us that. It is possible for two people to work together and not have to be in a romance.

ITA with this whole post, especially this -- verbal sparring and philosophical tension is fun to watch: when sparring characters then get it on, it just gets so boooooooring. Cheers, anyone? Moonlighting? UGH.

I love this show, love ALL the characters, the stories and scripts, the S.F. backdrop.... Just wish there were more new eps in a season!!!!!

#13 LoriD18447

LoriD18447

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

n

100% agree! Nothing says "forced romance with no discernible chemistry" than me trying to watch a show and actually saying, "Ew!!!" out loud.

I also agree 100% with this -- loved season 1 and couldn't wait for it's return. Had high hopes for this season, but so far have been very, very disappointed. Kate and Ben together in any romantic sort of way is a huge mistake IMO. Kate is acting like some immature teenager who can't decide between the two adoring men in her life. What happened to the mature professional woman she was last season? The only high point, is that Kate and her step mom have gotten closer. As for Justin and Kate, they have far more story to tell, and would have liked to have seen them delve into their history instead of adding the Ben character. If Ben and Kate is the direction they intend to go, then this will be the last season for me. Oh well, Season 1 was fun anyway.

#14 Stephb6

Stephb6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

I think we are all ignoring the fact that Justin cheated on Kate and really is her ex. As much as we all love to run back to our ex's, there is a lot of good in trying to move on and find a new love. I don't think Ben and Kate are bad together. They push and test each other which is important. They might not get married but it would make for great fireworks. I do agree that we need more Leo time. I still have very much enjoyed this season and I did love Justin last season... it has all been good. I'll keep watching...

#15 Asiunia

Asiunia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

I think we are all ignoring the fact that Justin cheated on Kate and really is her ex. As much as we all love to run back to our ex's, there is a lot of good in trying to move on and find a new love. I don't think Ben and Kate are bad together. They push and test each other which is important. They might not get married but it would make for great fireworks. I do agree that we need more Leo time. I still have very much enjoyed this season and I did love Justin last season... it has all been good. I'll keep watching...

I agree - a very interesting season, so far! Except for making Kate unbelievably fickle and, at times, unpleasant, the writing is tighter and the chemistry between Ben and Kate is palatable. That chemistry is mostly verbal and intellectual. There was no sex and almost no bare skin (up until very recently). The attraction was implied and not shown. This is why it was better. The writers didn't have to keep hitting us over the head with the bedroom scenes, to sell the feelings between the characters (season 1). :)
Ben is great and is written with consistency akin to Lauren's and Leo's characters. But I don't like, that they made Justin (Mr. Goody Two-Shoes) a cheater and that Kate, who was supposed to be so painfully honest (her own mantra in season 1) now cannot honestly own up to her feelings. Such a drastic change in the characters is difficult to swallow.IMO

#16 MrsT440

MrsT440

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

Excellent post Cherie. I am loving Ben and Kate....and yeah, I think the Ben character breathed new life in to the show. It has become a do not miss for me now.

Check out this cute video of them. It is hot!

Sour Cherry

That's just a drop in the bucket. As Cherie said, Fairly Legal, and Ben & Kate in particular, have exploded on the internet. Now that the show's done for the season (at least, in the U.S.), there are a ton of fans creating & cataloging fan fiction & vids in vain attempts to satisfy their Ben/Kate cravings until the next season comes along. Here's my collection of vids which includes Sour Cherry...and even a couple of Kate/Justin vids, too.

Fairly Legal Fan Videos

#17 Jennifer510

Jennifer510

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

I love love love love Kate and Ben and if thee dont get together and be a couple or the break up I'm going to stop watching the show because they should e together forever!!!!!

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved