Advertisement

No Celebrity Endorsement Implied

Photo
- - - - -

5.8 - All's Well That Ends - Episode Discussion & Friday marathon, too!

29 replies to this topic

Poll: 5.8 - All's Well That Ends - Episode Discussion & Friday marathon, too! (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this episode!

1. 1 - Great (9 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. 2 - Good (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

3. 3 - Okay (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. 4 - Bad (2 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

5. 5 - Stinker (9 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 LuvsGoodTV

LuvsGoodTV

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

Wasn't awful; wasn't great. Pretty typical of the last few seasons. I'd still love to know what Maples' original plans were for the show, and where he ultimately hoped to wind things up. I think it would have been a very different result. After season 2 Mary never really seemed to progress as a character, and the show stagnated as a result.

I totally agree. I had stopped watching last year but when I heard it was ending started back to see how they would end it. There were some good moments and ideas like having Mary resolve her issues with her father. That was the major problem for her character so we are led to believe she will now be free to grow and develop and maybe learn to trust someone again. For a character like Mary - that is as good as it would ever get.
The bad was having Brandy return and be pregnant but not name the father. What was the point of that? Ditto with Jinx - they didn't really clear anything up for that character, so not even sure why she came back. Maybe it was supposed to be funny that they were holding a fake wake for Mary's Dad even though he had no friends? Just unneccesarily sad and actually the kind of writing that doomed this series.
At one point they (M&M) seemed to be heading toward romantic love, but it had turned to partner or brother/sister love lately, so this ending went along with the way things have been lately.
Maybe if they had resolved Mary's relationship with her father after season 2 and allowed Mary to grow as a character they would still be churning out entertaining episodes.

#22 msd

msd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Marshall was her safety net, who played all the key roles that a man in her life plays, except the one she was afraid of. He was her favorite blanket and the one thing in her life she could always trust. But he was never someone she loved.

Well said and I agree with nearly everything you said except - I do believe Mary loves Marshall. She doesn't love him romantically. He is the man who knows her better, puts up with all her attitudes and likes her anyway. He is the one who can call her on stuff she throws out but won't walk away from her. And, if push comes to shove, Mary will always be there for Marshall too.

The other thing is all those invited to the dinner didn't make sense but it was a nice ending.

#23 AutumnR

AutumnR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

I don't know...I'm torn over this episode. I think the finale did a great job of answering key questions, but still giving us a 'promise of another tomorrow' kind of feeling. I believe Mary finally has the closure, or at least the pieces to find closure, over her father. (I cried when she dumped his ashes on the track.) Stan and Marshall have a whole new chapter with their promotions. Stan has a fun story ahead with his "lady friend". Marshall and Abigail have a life ahead of them. We still have witnesses. Delia is going to be around to be her kick ass self (I LOVED her character this season - so strong and awesome). Brandi has a little one on the way, and I think we all want to believe that it is Peter's baby, so there's a great "I found my true love again" story. Jinx is sober and that is something that's not easy and is going to affect every part of her life and the lives around her. Mark is going to be around and, well, there's a wealth of stories to thought up about him.;)

I agree with everyone who thinks that the whole how Mary and Marshall feel about each other conversation was too quick. I like that Mary called Marshall her "you know" and Marshall said he loved being that. To me, that was the "I love you" we all wanted to hear. Marshall did say that they do a lot of talking without talking, and the conversation on the balcony was certainly one of those moments. I think the whole point of that small part of the show was to acknowledge what they mean to each other in that "no words" Mary and Marshall way. That is a trait that is crucial to the pair; it's something we see and use as one of the many reasons to want them in a relationship. "All's well that ends"...With all of the multiple-meaning titles through out the years, this is the most important. The story of Mary's father ends, but she's going to be all right. Mary and Marshall's partnership ends with Marshall's promotion, but they will be all right. Mary's dependence on Marshall ends (to a point, imho) with Marshall's engagement, but they will be all right. Mary and Marshall are changing, "ending" how we know them, but they will be all right. Their love for each other is stronger than friendship, than marriage, than anything we could cook up. They are going to be all right. At first, I had a hard time swallowing the "messy" monologue at the end. But, now that I think a little more about it...Marshall said what they have is indefinable. And, maybe, that's what "messy" was supposed to mean. Mary needs messy, she needs that indefinable relationship with Marshall. He is obviously everything to Mary, a constant in her life, something she has never really had. Marshall can't be one "person" to Mary. He's the friend, the one she love-loves, the one that's going to help her through whatever crisis comes about, the one that's going to give her a straight answer. It's complicated, its messy. It's Mary and Marshall.

...But maybe they could have at least hugged? And I still would like the words, at least a few more words, said. Hard as I try, I cannot read minds. Posted Image

#24 Travels4Food

Travels4Food

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

In my opinion, this level of passionate disagreement suggests that the finale did exactly what it was supposed to, which is to be memorable and bring up lots of feelings about the show's end. The opposite of love isn't hate - it's indifference.

I thought the finale was terrific and a fine farewell to the crew. I felt like it suggested that all would be well - messy, but well - and that Mary would continue on her path of opening herself up to the people around her, flawed as all of them are/were. I'm so sorry to see her character go and I look forward to whatever Mary McCormack decides to do next, but I found the conclusion to be highly satisfying. Thanks, IPS, for a great run - you will be missed.

#25 InvestigatorBob

InvestigatorBob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

I think the ending was fine because it reflected REAL LIFE! I work in a similar career as Mary, et al. I worked (and still work) with members of the opposite sex whom I did and continue to be very close to... BUT it never goes past what Mary and Marshall had. It can't if you want to keep a good working relationship,and mutual respect for each other. Also, people come and go. They retire, quit, transfer or promoted and move on. Life continues, with adjustments. You develop new relationships with new partners or bosses. LIFE GOES ON.

I think the ending left a lot of room for the show (or it's characters) to return in some form. Mary and Marshall will still work together (although as boss/subordinate instead of partners), Mary has a possibly new personal relationship developing, her sister has a baby on the way, etc etc. Who knows...maybe we'll see them all again.

#26 jsmith

jsmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

My guess is that the writers "painted themselves into a corner" last season, so to speak. I think the plan, long-term, was to eventually get Mary and Marshall together as a couple...in an unrushed manner (and to string the story out). But, with only eight episodes to this last season, there was no way to pull that off convincingly. So they took a series of "easy outs" to tidy things up. It was the best to be expected, but ultimately felt unsatisfying to me.

Edited by jsmith, 09 May 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#27 Bittersweet418

Bittersweet418

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

Really wanted Marshall & Mary together, but this is the next best thing. RIP, In Plain Sight

#28 RicoSmokes

RicoSmokes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

This episode was just okay. I liked the previous episode much better. I just wished there had been a better, clearer resolution to the "triangle". The addition of the "I'll come whenever you call" bit kind of ruined it for me. And the USA people are all a**-holes for teasing the shippers with the I love you scene. All in all I'm going to miss In Plain Sight and wish the best for all the actors and crew on the show.

#29 TexasBlonde_1

TexasBlonde_1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

I definitely felt the last episode left the door wide open for the series to continue.

I have never been on the bandwagon for Mary and Marshall to get together. They have a loyalty and love for each other that is perhaps greater than romantic love. I think Mary's love for Marshall and for her baby has taught her unconditional love. This is something she has never really experienced previously in her life. It has opened her eyes as to why she has tolerated her mother and sister's erratic behaviors all of these years including their addition to alcohol.

I have always felt Raph was the right man for Mary. I always hoped they would be able to get back together at some point in time. I even felt this season he would have left his current wife in a heartbeat if Mary had given him the slightest encouragement.

I am happy Mary's father finally came back and she could get closure for that hole he left in her heart when he left and never came back so many years ago.

The door is open for future episodes. I hope someone will pick it up and run with it. How about a full season of episodes for a change? I alway felt shortchanged by too few episodes per season. It just is not right.

#30 MrsMann

MrsMann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

I have to agree that this episode was very unsatisfying...way too many loose ends and storylines were
closed in such an off-hand/slap-dash manner...most particularly M&M's relationship. The coming attractions were a blatant manipulation with the "I love you" tease and then the actual "discussion" was so shallow and unimaginative. Personally, I think if they were really going to not have them get together romantically in the end, we deserved a more meaty and substantial talk, than what we got. I felt like the writers didn't really know these characters and their history at all and they just threw that scene together to try to wrap up 4 seasons worth of pining Marshall and oblivious Mary...I thought it was a really lousy way to send these 2 beloved characters off.

Oh and that's just MY opinion, I'm not talking for those of you who loved this episode. When I say things like "we deserved..." I'm talking to those who have the same mindset as me...so please don't post here yelling at me. I think it's rude and nasty to belittle people who use expressions like this...I think it's rather obvious they don't really mean everyone and each poster has the right to vent their frustrations (or post accolades) as they see fit.

Reply to this topic

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved