• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 laazrakit

laazrakit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

I'm just going to say that this new ambulance chaser named Ben is going to ruin this show....

Edited by LI_Ann, 05 May 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#2 ext

ext

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

I totally agree!!! I have to force myself NOT to turn off the show. This week he shows up 5 minutes in and is just too annoying! Get rid of him.

#3 msd

msd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

I agree - the first time Ben Grogan showed up, I thought he had comedic potential. Week after week he just becomes more and more annoying.

I do like Gerald McRaney as Judge Nicastro and I like the interaction he had with both Kate and Lauren in the last episode.

If I see the show - fine; if not.............it isn't getting DVRd.

#4 jwfVT

jwfVT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

Hopefully someone from the show reads these messages.... I also absolutely hate the new character. He is ruining the show and I don't know how much longer i can stand to watch his obnoxious, glib, rude, self-involved, unredeemable, self-serving two dimensional character. Horrible.

#5 Renee24

Renee24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

I agree the new guy is ruining the show. The first season was cute and fun. The interplay between Kate and Lauren/Leo/her ex was crisp and easy. This season, the new guy has slowed the show way down. I'm not sure why they thought they needed him, but I can tell you I stopped watching tonight about half-way through the show because he was shoving his face into every scene. If USA thinks they need the character to help make money for the law firm, then give him one or two brief scenes and keep him in his office, the library or court the rest of the time--anything that doesn't put him on the screen.

I too hope someone from USA or the show reads these comments. It's a shame to ruin a show that was fun to watch, especially when there's so little on to watch.

#6 hub10

hub10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

I agree the new guy is ruining the show. The first season was cute and fun. The interplay between Kate and Lauren/Leo/her ex was crisp and easy. This season, the new guy has slowed the show way down. I'm not sure why they thought they needed him, but I can tell you I stopped watching tonight about half-way through the show because he was shoving his face into every scene. If USA thinks they need the character to help make money for the law firm, then give him one or two brief scenes and keep him in his office, the library or court the rest of the time--anything that doesn't put him on the screen.

I too hope someone from USA or the show reads these comments. It's a shame to ruin a show that was fun to watch, especially when there's so little on to watch.

I'm afraid I agree with everyone. When I heard they were tinkering with the show after the first season, I was a bit worried, however sometimes that does help a new show. This new character is just annoying and he doesn't fit in with the rest of the characters at all. He's a noisy distraction, and that's a shame. I really enjoy Kate's interaction with Michael Truro's character and that's moved to the backburner to make room for the new guy. I think we're stuck with Ben, though. Unfortunately.

#7 BellaT

BellaT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Oh, thank you all! I thought maybe I was just too old to appreciate his kind of "humor"???. I absolutely hate Ben Grogan. He's totally obnoxiousness. Some actors can pull it off, some can't. He's one of the latter. This show was about Kate Reed. She's right up there with Mary Shannon. (Whom, I adore, and am really pissed that she's being canceled.) I am a late comer to the show and had to purchase Season 1 to catch up. I love'd it. Now, It's all I can do to watch the show. I hope they get rid of him or I will have to stop watching.

#8 TR19087

TR19087

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Ugh, the ambulance chaser guy is painful to watch!
(Other people have said it before - but those message boards do not appear to be accepting new comments, so I'm starting a new one.)

Please. get. rid. of. this. character.
He's a complete putz and is destroying the show.
It's not cute and it's not flirty and it moves plot lines from the "barely believable" into the "painfully unbelievable" category.

#9 Cougar78

Cougar78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:08 AM

Ugh, the ambulance chaser guy is painful to watch!
(Other people have said it before - but those message boards do not appear to be accepting new comments, so I'm starting a new one.)

Please. get. rid. of. this. character.
He's a complete putz and is destroying the show.
It's not cute and it's not flirty and it moves plot lines from the "barely believable" into the "painfully unbelievable" category.

This guy is horrible and completely unlikeable. I'm not sure why they ever brought him into the show but i'm truly considering not watching it anymore because of him.

#10 Cougar78

Cougar78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:16 AM

I have to second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth every single comment made in this thread. This guy is obnoxious and I truly feel like he's stealing screen time from Kate in the show now. Nothing about this guy is likeable and he's seriously making me reconsider continuing to watch this show. I watch a LOT of tv and have never truly been bothered by a single character on any show on any network as much as this guy. The ratings for this show must be dropping like a rock ever since this guy has been forced down our throats.

#11 Sglab

Sglab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

I guess I'm going to have to be the descenting voice. I really like Ben. The way he and Kate butt heads is fun but also there's something going on under all that ego. I've seen hints of vulnerability from him. From when Kate called him empty in the episode he drove her home.

I'd say more but I'm on my iPod atm and can't use my computer bc of a virus.

#12 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

Contrary to the opinions previously posted, I think the new Ben character is going to save this show. TPTB said the show needed "tweaking" and introducing another strong character to balance the show was the right move. Last season there was way, way, way too much Kate. It was exhausting to watch her run around and never be on time for anything. She did a good job for her clients but treated everyone else (the people she worked with and Justin) like they didn't matter. In Kate's world - it was all about Kate. Thankfully, they've "tweaked" her character too. She's far less obnoxious.

Edited by LI_Ann, 05 May 2012 - 07:25 PM.

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

#13 Leigh1

Leigh1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

I guess I'll be 3rd and say I am loving Ben too. Like Sglab, I think a lot of Ben's obnoxiousness is just a wall he is putting up. He has shown on several occasions now, that he is willing to go the extra step to for Kate. I am liking that push and pull between them and for once am anxiously awaiting the next episode. I am very interested to see where they take them. As much as they bicker and as different as their approaches are to things, maybe they are coming at it from the same place (ie have had similar hurt in life)...

Edited by Leigh1, 05 May 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#14 LuvsGoodTV

LuvsGoodTV

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Contrary to the opinions previously posted, I think the new Ben character is going to save this show. TPTB said the show needed "tweaking" and introducing another strong character to balance the show was the right move. Last season there was way, way, way too much Kate. It was exhausting to watch her run around and never be on time for anything. She did a good job for her clients but treated everyone else (the people she worked with and Justin) like they didn't matter. In Kate's world - it was all about Kate. Thankfully, they've "tweaked" her character too. She's far less obnoxious.

Couldn't agree more. USA promotes character driven shows and this show has some interesting characters. In order for it to stay interesting the characters need to grow or we need to learn more about them. This year Kate is growing up a little and we are getting to know Lauren a little better and see more dimensions to her. Ben is the catalyst for most of these changes and that IMO is a good reason to bring him on board - even though he is obnoxious.

#15 Aisaiko

Aisaiko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

I hate the Ben character. I find nothing remotely likable about him. I was willing to put up with him being the antagonist. But watching a Kate/Ben relationship is not something I'm even remotely interested in. He's a bottom-feeder. I don't care why. I just want him to go away.

Edited by Aisaiko, 06 May 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#16 fairlytrue

fairlytrue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

Even though majority of people in here don't like Ben, I have to say he is an awesome character. At first, I absolutely hated him because he was an annoying jerk that didn't care about anybody or anything but his next pay check. All he did was go in there and stir up problems for all the other characters. After the episode going a little into his past, he has proven every single episode since to be promising character that is just as complex as Kate in the polar opposite way. I think its great they give Kate another love interest since they decided to turn Justin into a cheater. I was totally all about Justin in first season, but now it doesn't seem right. Anyone who has ever been cheated on isn't going to root for someone like that, especially when Ben is changing into a better guy because his weakness is Kate. There was no reason for Ben to try to get the retrial but to get in Kate's good graces. I would rather she end up with someone headstrong like that who challenges her than a character who was deemed as her safety net, yet insanely let her down by cheating on her. Ben brings promise of helping Kate grow up a bit and evolve into her role of leading the firm, versus Justin tends to show exactly what she was like before.

#17 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Even though majority of people in here don't like Ben, I have to say he is an awesome character. At first, I absolutely hated him because he was an annoying jerk that didn't care about anybody or anything but his next pay check. All he did was go in there and stir up problems for all the other characters. After the episode going a little into his past, he has proven every single episode since to be promising character that is just as complex as Kate in the polar opposite way. I think its great they give Kate another love interest since they decided to turn Justin into a cheater. I was totally all about Justin in first season, but now it doesn't seem right. Anyone who has ever been cheated on isn't going to root for someone like that, especially when Ben is changing into a better guy because his weakness is Kate. There was no reason for Ben to try to get the retrial but to get in Kate's good graces. I would rather she end up with someone headstrong like that who challenges her than a character who was deemed as her safety net, yet insanely let her down by cheating on her. Ben brings promise of helping Kate grow up a bit and evolve into her role of leading the firm, versus Justin tends to show exactly what she was like before.

Actually he did a lot more than stir up problems for all the other characters. He saved the firm from going under. If Ben didn't buy into the firm as a partner, Reed and Reed would have been forced to close their doors. In that respect, he was a positive character from day one despite being so obnoxious (initially). Now we're seeing a different side of him. He wasn't welcomed in the beginning even though he saved the firm and everyone's job. Yes, he was concerned about making money and the bottomline. Obviously Lauren and Kate weren't very effective in that area. Ben is and every business needs someone like that. Maybe his brash persona was his way of lashing out at them for not appreciating what he did, i.e., pouring a boatload of cash into the firm.

Edited by LI_Ann, 07 May 2012 - 05:28 PM.

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

#18 tvfan001

tvfan001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:27 AM

Actually he did a lot more than stir up problems for all the other characters. He saved the firm from going under. If Ben didn't buy into the firm as a partner, Reed and Reed would have been forced to close their doors. In that respect, he was a positive character from day one despite being so obnoxious (initially). Now we're seeing a different side of him. He wasn't welcomed in the beginning even though he saved the firm and everyone's job. Yes, he was concerned about making money and the bottomline. Obviously Lauren and Kate weren't very effective in that area. Ben is and every business needs someone like that. Maybe his brash persona was his way of lashing out at them for not appreciating what he did, i.e., pouring a boatload of cash into the firm.

I agree - Ben saved the business. And the law firm needed someone like him. I was expecting to see more push & pull in the storylines about the business. Or maybe even Ben trying to take over the business from Lauren. He has the money & he must have opinions about the portfolio or how they do business. Lauren almost watched the law firm go under with her leadership and she even broke the law by using a client's funds to make payroll, so is she really the best one to be at the top? Even though she says she was running the firm for Kate's dad, it didn't sound like things were going so well at the beginning of this season which is how she ended up with Ben becoming a partner.

And I'd love to see more of Ben's cases presented in the series - have a feeling might be more interesting than some of the mediation stories. I would like to see more of Lauren's and Kate's reactions to the clients Ben chooses to represent. I'm curious to see if Ben is as arrogant in court as he was when he first came to the firm.

I like the Ben character alot and the tension his words can produce from Lauren, Kate & Leo - that is at least when the writers don't have Ben looking all lovesick over Kate (I'm so over that story line).

I can see how Ben would have to "tone down" his personality a little to work at the firm, but I would expect his desire to have the law firm be profitable would never disappear and be a driving motivation for him. He didn't join the firm to sit in the back and watch. Do these three ever have partner meetings? Where's the discussions about the firm's business & bottom line? Now that would be interesting to watch because I'm sure Ben has strong opinions & there would be lots of fun exchanges as Kate & Ben disagreed while Lauren realized she could not control Ben.

#19 Asiunia

Asiunia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

I stopped watching season 1 last year after episode 5 (watched the rest months later online), because it was like "watching paint dry". Every episode: Kate wins case, is mean to Lauren and has casual (if highly improbable) sex with the ex-husband (whom she is in the process of divorcing!). I didn't find it very realistic and certainly not entertaining. So I ignored season 2 premiere and couple of its first episodes.
Then a friend told me to start watching season 2 because it really "picked-up". Thank you Alice! The show is nothing like the boring predictable season 1. I caught up with the season watching first 3 episodes online and laughed all the way to episode 8. Ben is awesome. Witty, unapologetic, quick and finally someone to stand up to abrasive Kate. Unfortunately, just as the show was getting a rhythm and audiences started to appreciate the character of Ben, as he interacted with the rest of the cast, the writers went and made Kate thoroughly unpleasant. In episode 9 she blows off Ben for no good reason (just rude IMO). In episode 10 she is supposedly clueless about hurting Ben's feelings (and yelling at him in a parking lot that she slept with Justin- classy). In episode 11 "season 1 Kate" is back with vengeance! Now I see in episode 12 she is with Justin (now finally divorced ex-husband!), while Ben does his best impression of "how much is this puppy in the window". What is happening?! It's all out of whack - IMO.

Edited by Asiunia, 03 June 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#20 Asiunia

Asiunia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

Do these three ever have partner meetings? Where's the discussions about the firm's business & bottom line? Now that would be interesting to watch because I'm sure Ben has strong opinions & there would be lots of fun exchanges as Kate & Ben disagreed while Lauren realized she could not control Ben.

Yes - the start of "Give Me Shelter" has one, as an example. It's quite funny. You can see how little "regard" Ben has for Kate's "contributions" to the bottom line (justifiably so since, as it turns out, Leo can do a better job than she does).

Edited by Asiunia, 03 June 2012 - 04:13 PM.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved