• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FortheloveofMonk

FortheloveofMonk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hi folks! This is my first post on this forum. First, a little background about myself: I had heard of the show Monk while it was still on the air but never watched it. Last summer, though, some friends who had started watching it highly recommended it to me. After finding and watching about a dozen episodes on WGN, I ended up buying the complete eight seasons on DVD.

Well, I just finished the series finale a couple of days ago. (Now going through Monk withdrawal!) I won't get into all my views on the finale except to say that I was really hoping Monk and Natalie ended up as a couple and that the writers -- especially in season 8 -- seemed to be teasing that possibility in almost every episode. I wasn't particularly happy, then, to see the Albright character appear out of nowhere in the final two episodes.

I guess here's what I'm curious about -- the Monke finale came out two years ago and judging from what I've read on this forum, there was a lot of strong reaction both ways on it. But has your opinion on the finale changed over time and, if it has, how so?

#2 Reiterin

Reiterin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

As much as I loved Monk and as much as I Still love Monk, I have to admit to being quite disappointed by the most of the final season, much less the finale. I almost felt like they stopped writing. or they just didn't care anymore.

Regardless, I am looking forward to a special. - Which, this week is the first I've heard about it while checking out the forums.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 FortheloveofMonk

FortheloveofMonk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

In connection with the decison to have a special, may I conclude by saying I think the writer and director really underestimated the loyality of us fans,

KF

I confess I don't quite understand what you're saying here .... any chance you can elaborate? ;)

#4 Tami

Tami

Monk Magnet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

I guess here's what I'm curious about -- the Monke finale came out two years ago and judging from what I've read on this forum, there was a lot of strong reaction both ways on it. But has your opinion on the finale changed over time and, if it has, how so?

I just recently watched both parts of the finale for the first time since the original airing. Listening to Tony Shalhoub's, Andy Breckman's and Randy Zisk's commentary while the episodes were running helped me re-live the feeling of watching for the first time. I thought the finale was well done, and I enjoyed it.

Were there flaws? Of course there were. The dates Trudy gave didn't coincide with the year Trudy and Adrian graduated in "Class Reunion" and Joe Christie wasn't at the scene when Adrian got the phone call about Trudy's death. But having watched the first 50 episodes in the past three months, I didn't find those flaws so egregious they got my panties in a twist.

I loved Molly, and her introduction to Adrian; I thought that was very sweetly done. I had the privilege of speaking with Lee Goldberg not long after the Finale aired. Lee was just as surprised at the amount of hate posted here about the Finale, and the Molly/Adrian relationship. Neither of us could relate to those strong negative emotions.

Has my opinion of the Finale changed? Well, yes: I feel a warmer connection with the Finale after viewing it with Tony's, Andy's and Randy's commentary.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming
that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted
~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#5 lovethatmonk

lovethatmonk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hello.

When the show stopped, it had a regular viewing audience over 5,000,000 while the final epsiode set a record of over 7,000,000 and the Board is still active with new fans watching reruns.

I just felt that all this manifested a love of the show that perhaps the writer didn't give proper consideration of initially but the deciison to air an Autumn special seems to suggest that he and perhaps others connected with the show realized that Monk was one of those beloved shows - like Columbo which was revived several times - which should give recognition to the loyality of its fans.

You are so right on these facts KF....Monk has not been toppled over yet! Even though I came into the Monk craze about season 4..I still enjoyed watching and rewatching Monk no matter what season it was from!

Were there flaws? Of course there were. The dates Trudy gave didn't coincide with the year Trudy and Adrian graduated in "Class Reunion" and Joe Christie wasn't at the scene when Adrian got the phone call about Trudy's death. But having watched the first 50 episodes in the past three months, I didn't find those flaws so egregious they got my panties in a twist.

You are soooo right Tami! Even though the timeline was off I think the writers did a great job trying to close a show that tried to throw in some murder, humor and well a better understanding of OCD and how it can affect you. We got to love each member of the cast like a family member...I cried the whole time that Monk met Molly...and I still cry when I think how hard that scene was...

Monk will be one show I love to re watch ie MARATHON when I need to regain some control when life gets out of control! I love that I stumbled upon Monk during a marathon that USA was running when my niece was visiting with me...I got hooked right away...that's the legacy that TS has left...He may never live down this character that he created but DAMN....who could have played it better!

LTM

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved