• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nancy12452

nancy12452

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

the coincidence(?) of the pekes taking top honors repeatedly over the past several years.....really? you mean all of the other dogs couldn't ever measure up? i say this is too much for us, the gullible public , to swallow. i won't even watch westminster again...it is fixed.

#2 dunbrine47

dunbrine47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

the coincidence(?) of the pekes taking top honors repeatedly over the past several years.....really? you mean all of the other dogs couldn't ever measure up? i say this is too much for us, the gullible public , to swallow. i won't even watch westminster again...it is fixed.

You are right! I'm going back to watching Hell's kitchen, Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Storage Wars, etc.

#3 Grapeape7

Grapeape7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

I agree this is over the top it needs to stop ALL PLANNED OUT !!! every year ... UGH makes me sick

#4 RottieGirl95

RottieGirl95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

I agree i have lost total confidence that jugdes know how to pick real dogs! And i have lost all respect for Westminster!

Edited by RottieGirl95, 15 February 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#5 jawalby

jawalby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

#6 Dreva

Dreva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

the coincidence(?) of the pekes taking top honors repeatedly over the past several years.....really? you mean all of the other dogs couldn't ever measure up?  i say this is too much for us, the gullible public , to swallow. i won't even watch westminster again...it is fixed.

I say the Doberman was robbed.  I won't watch again.

#7 disgusteddoglover

disgusteddoglover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

I was so happy last year when they selected a different breed instead of a stupid poodle or pek, now we're back to the same thing. i am a dog lover and love to watch all of the breeds, so I will probably continue to watch, but it still sucks when they pick one of these breeds that always win. Some breeds just show better than other breeds, but the judges are SUPPOSED to be judging each breed against its own standard. Last night the Irish Setter was showing extremely well, so were the Dalmation, German Shepard and the Doberman. Even the crowd loved the other dogs more than the Pek, but I could've bet you as soon as I saw the judge that she was going to pick the Pek. What a ripoff!!!! I enjoyed the rest of the program (good job David and Mary!), but Westminster should be ashamed of themselves. How can you even judge a Pek? You can't even tell if there's a dog under there!!! It's a travesty that some breeds, like the Dalmation have never won.

#8 LuvDogs

LuvDogs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

Why such a hater? Peaks are great dogs and Malachy had won 114 best in shows. You should become a little more informed about how the judging works before spewing such hate talk. Any of these dogs would have been worthy of top honors. A judge uses his or her judgment to decide which dog most closely meets the criteria of the breeds standard. Itís not about which dog is the cutest, itís not a beauty contest. If it it were a mut could win this every year! And a rot would not even be in the running. Geez.

#9 disgusteddoglover

disgusteddoglover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Why such a hater? Peaks are great dogs and Malachy had won 114 best in shows. You should become a little more informed about how the judging works before spewing such hate talk. Any of these dogs would have been worthy of top honors. A judge uses his or her judgment to decide which dog most closely meets the criteria of the breeds standard. It's not about which dog is the cutest, it's not a beauty contest. If it it were a mut could win this every year! And a rot would not even be in the running. Geez.

Malachy had won 114 best in shows - exactly my point! Yet you had an Irish Setter with the most wins for her breed all-time and other great dogs and they chose the Pek. It is a beauty contest in that certain dogs show better because the way the breed looks or carries themselves resulting in dog show judges seem to always pick those breeds for best in show. A Dalmation has never won best in show but Peks have won 6 times?!? That Dalmation was spot on last night, but certain breeds get chosen for best in show far more often than other breeds. Best in show judging is as bad as ice skating judging. I don't believe for one instance that the hairball matched it's breed's standard better than the other 6 dogs in the ring last night.

#10 Janinct

Janinct

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

Malachy had won 114 best in shows - exactly my point! Yet you had an Irish Setter with the most wins for her breed all-time and other great dogs and they chose the Pek. It is a beauty contest in that certain dogs show better because the way the breed looks or carries themselves resulting in dog show judges seem to always pick those breeds for best in show. A Dalmation has never won best in show but Peks have won 6 times?!? That Dalmation was spot on last night, but certain breeds get chosen for best in show far more often than other breeds. Best in show judging is as bad as ice skating judging. I don't believe for one instance that the hairball matched it's breed's standard better than the other 6 dogs in the ring last night.

#11 Janinct

Janinct

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

When I saw Ms. Vogel's choice in wardrobe for the event, I worried about her wisdom in judging. Her selection of the Peke affirmed my fears. Malachy may have fulfilled the breeds standard, but I thought the Irish Setter was a stand out. I feel sorry for David Frei going on one talk show after another with this characterless bunch of hair.

#12 LuvDogs

LuvDogs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

And Fox Terriers have won 16 times. The last time a Peke won best in show was 1990, that's 22 years ago. The breed is over 2000 years old and has hardly changed in that time unlike most all other dogs who have been breed into breeder creations. Iím not buying this Peke conspiracy thing people here who are upset their particular dog breed didnít win are trying to sell. Itís not like the other dogs are home crying tonight that they didnít win the ribbon. Many long hair dogs who have show cuts look a bit different then the way typical owners groom their dogs. Have you ever watched a Paris fashion show? Do you actually know anyone thatís dresses that way in real life? Hereís a picture of a typical Peke and haircut. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but show me a dog cuter than this: http://upload.wikime...hite_Peke01.JPG

People on here sound like a bunch of child beauty contest mothers upset that their little darling didnít get the prize. The Peke was a wonderful dog and very deserving of the win. I have owned many breeds of dogs including Pekes and they have been some of the most loyal, intelligent and rewarding dogs I have owned. All of these dogs could have been winners and I would leave it to the expertise of someone with an abundance of more experience to make the difficult choice of selecting the best in show..

#13 RottieGirl95

RottieGirl95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

And Fox Terriers have won 16 times. The last time a Peke won best in show was 1990, that's 22 years ago. The breed is over 2000 years old and has hardly changed in that time unlike most all other dogs who have been breed into breeder creations. I'm not buying this Peke conspiracy thing people here who are upset their particular dog breed didn't win are trying to sell. It's not like the other dogs are home crying tonight that they didn't win the ribbon. Many long hair dogs who have show cuts look a bit different then the way typical owners groom their dogs. Have you ever watched a Paris fashion show? Do you actually know anyone that's dresses that way in real life? Here's a picture of a typical Peke and haircut. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but show me a dog cuter than this: http://upload.wikime...hite_Peke01.JPG

People on here sound like a bunch of child beauty contest mothers upset that their little darling didn't get the prize. The Peke was a wonderful dog and very deserving of the win. I have owned many breeds of dogs including Pekes and they have been some of the most loyal, intelligent and rewarding dogs I have owned. All of these dogs could have been winners and I would leave it to the expertise of someone with an abundance of more experience to make the difficult choice of selecting the best in show..

i may have not liked the pek but i understand where your comeing from. but........BUT i thought the Doberman and the Setter showed much better than the pek sorry if this upsets you !and i also agree with everyone else some breeds have just have won too many times, i also understand that some dogs would beconflicts of interest..... i.e the Doberman, Rottie, German Shepard and all the other dogs that have a so call "bad Rep." but im here to tell you that i wouldnt trust that Pek to protect me from anything not with all the money in the world! if a dog cannot protect its owner than in my opinion. its not a DOG!

#14 LuvDogs

LuvDogs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

i may have not liked the pek but i understand where your comeing from. but........BUT i thought the Doberman and the Setter showed much better than the pek sorry if this upsets you !and i also agree with everyone else some breeds have just have won too many times, i also understand that some dogs would beconflicts of interest..... i.e the Doberman, Rottie, German Shepard and all the other dogs that have a so call "bad Rep." but im here to tell you that i wouldnt trust that Pek to protect me from anything not with all the money in the world! if a dog cannot protect its owner than in my opinion. its not a DOG!

I understand what youíre saying. You might find it interesting that the breed is often referred to as the "Lion Dog". They are very alert and intelligent. They are observers not yappers like many little dogs are. They may not be physically intimidating, capable of attacking someone who assaults you but they will let you know quickly if someone is up to no good in your territory or if someone is bad news. My gun can take of the rest since I donít want any dog I own Big or Little to be injured by a criminal . Pekes have a keen sense of awareness about people. They generally donít befriend just anyone. You must earn their trust to be included in their inner circle. They were used in antiquity to guard the Royal court in ancient china. They have a incredible history. They are the closest direct DNA descendents of wolves. I just love all dogs. I have had a wonderful Dobie in the past. He was a cool character who was a great protector but petrified of thunderstorms and my wife had a really nice German shepherd. Growing up we had Boxers and Poodles. Boxers are also great active dogs and donít mess with a Poodle who doesnít like you :)

Here is a little more history on Pekes in case you might be interested:

n 1860, the Summer Palace in Peking was looted by the Allied forces. The aunt of the Chinese Emperor, rather than face the enemy troops in defeat, committed suicide. Five faithful little Pekingese were discovered guarding her body, by 3 Officers of the British troop. Lord John Hay took possession of a dog, christened Schloff, and a bitch, christened Hytien. The latter was subsequently presented to his sister, the Duchess of Wellington. Sir George Fitzroy took two other dogs and presented them to his relations, the Duke and Duchess of Richmond and Gordon. The latter's brother, Lord Algernon Gordon-Lennox and his wife subsequently established the Goodwood kennel. Lieutenant Dunne presented the last dog to Queen Victoria, who christened it 'Looty'.

The first Pekingese exhibit was shown in Chester Show in England, in 1894 by Mrs Loftus Allan. Her husband, who was a master of a ship trading in China, brought home Pekin Peter (the exhibit). The Pekingese breed gained instantaneous popularity. In 1898, the British Kennel Club approved the standard of the breed. In 1904, the Pekingese Club was founded and this was followed by the Pekin Palace Dog Association in 1908. Many more Pekingese breed clubs mushroomed throughout the length and breadth of the British Isles. Many differing views and ideas were conjured up by the various Pekingese enthusiasts. It gave way to the revision of the breed standard, which was eventually amended in 1926.

Around the end of the 19th century, the Empress Dowager became friendly with the Americans. To show her favor, she made gifts of some of the dogs and the notable recipients included Alice Roosevelt J.P. Morgan, Miss Carl and Dr M Cotton. It didn't take long before the Pekingese charmed its ways to the American Pekingese fanciers. The Pekingese Club of America was founded in 1909.

In Ireland, around that time of the 19th century, a respected Chinese minister, Li Hung Chang presented a dog and a bitch, Chang and Lady Li, to Major Heuston, in recognition of his service in China. He chose to retire in Ireland, which was then part of U.K., and established the Greystones kennel. The application of the Pekingese Association of Ireland for registration to the British Kennel Club, London was made by Mr W. Clarke, Rosetta Villas, Belfast in July, 1910. Membership was granted and recorded in the Kennel Club Gazette in August 1910, and hence the Pekingese Association of Ireland was founded in 1910. The Secretary of the Association at the time was a J. Gibson, 5 South Anne Street, Dublin. Major Heuston, would have been relatively active in promoting the Pekingese breed to the Irish canine fanciers of that era. He was made the President of the Association in 1912. The oldest Cup, The Greystones Perpetual Challenge Cup, is still in the Association's possession to this day.

The Pekingese Association remains one of the oldest canine clubs in Ireland. It was subsequently affiliated to the Irish Kennel Club, which was founded in 1920

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved