• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dux411

dux411

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

I just want the producers, writers, directors, actors, (and fans!) to know how much this show is missed and what it has meant to me and my family. When this series started way back in-what?-2002 or so, I heard people at work talking about it, but not being a totally avid TV watcher, I didn't pay much attention to the buzz. I happened to be engaged at the time (we later married in 2006) and my then-fiance would come down from Montana to Missouri to visit me. I had a great job and it was the perfect shift for me-late evenings. I worked from 4 p.m. thru 12:30 a.m. Well, my husband, who is a total Montana cowboy and not a big TV watcher either (his favorite shows at that time were the really oldies, "Gunsmoke" and "Bonanza") would have to sit around my house waiting for me to get off of my shift.

I would come home and he told me about this "really cool" show called "Monk". I told him I'd heard about it. He said it was a mystery/detective show but it was different from all of the rest-the detective had obsessive-compulsive disorder. Well, that didn't sound like a barrel of laughs to me but I was curious as to how a show like this hooked my tough-fronted husband. I did know he had a lot of fears that he would only share with those closest to him-he is afraid to fly, deathly afraid of tornadoes, and afraid of heights, to name a few. Believe me, he didn't have every phobia under the sun, like Mr. Monk, but I was touched that a character in a TV show could somehow comfort my 'tough-guy' future husband; my husband could relate to him and he always thought it would be cool to be a detective. I think he saw a guy didn't necessarily have to have it "all together" to be successful-using one's brain was enough sometimes! One night when I was off, USA Network happened to be running a Monk Marathon. This was in the middle of the series-around 2005 or so. Well, I was immediately just taken with the characters. I don't know why I was exactly, but I LOVE mysteries and Monk had some of the best writing/whodunit mysteries I'd ever seen. But it was more than that. My husband kept saying, "Monk is cool". Well, I thought so, too!

Fast forward and we are married. The series ends but we immediately order all of the DVDs-all eight seasons. The more we watched this amazing and wonderful anad sometimes humorous show, the more we fell in love with it. I'm sure the producers (as one has even said on a DVD 'extra') thought this concept was a bit off-the-wall and would never make it. Well, guess what guys? The DVDs have seen my husband and I through some tough times; it's been a wonderful comfort and we can watch the same episodes over and over again. I believe the appeal for my husband was identifying with Monk and his phobias. For me, it was a little different. Although I LOVE the writing and the mysteries and the humor, I think the thing that affected me the most about this show was knowing what it was like to feel left out and little bit different (Don't worry-"not crazy, just a fan" ha ha). But what I mean is, although I am a professional, full-functioning adult these days with a good life and plenty of friends, I remember being in my late teens and early twenties and just being a loner because I did not know how to relate to people at all. And that's the thing that I love most about the Monk series is: Monk had all of these problems and he isn't the most sensitive guy in the world; he can be downright annoying and rude sometimes, but he still has people around him who love him and support him.

That brings me to the characters. I've noticed on any of the many generic crime shows, such as 'CSI' or 'Law and Order', i hate to say it, but the acting usually sucks. Yet that isn't the worst part. The writers just basically deal with the mystery (and they aren't nearly as well-written and "gotcha!" like the Monk storylines are), but the writers of the generic crime shows don't focus on the characters hardly at all. When they make a feeble attempt, it doesn't work-they end up with boring, mechanical people. But Monk was all about its characters and I (and all my friends and family who loved Monk agree) love every one of them. Tony Shalhoub and Ted Levine are top-notch actors. I also loved Bitty Schram and later, Natalie (the natural and wonderful actress Traylor Howard), and the show would not be complete without 'Randy'. We LOVE Randy. Everyone on the show just clicked perfectly. They got on each others' nerves, but they remained loyal friends to one another. The added great characters of Julie, Benjy, Harold Krenshaw, Dr. Kamel (and later, Dr. Bell), Marcy Maven, and Ambrose were all wonderful and fit perfectly into the show, too. And having the lovely flashbacks of Trudy and Monk were good, too. I love the fact that you went for it all and it worked. You had comedy, mystery, action, great characters and character storylines, and some really touching moments between Monk and Trudy (some that made me and my 70 year old mother cry).

Prodcuers and writers and actors, don't think that only crazy people with phobias or illnesses were your fans. My husband and I have a lot of inside jokes and many times, we will quote Monk in a given situation. We love to quote Monk. But we found out, to our surprise, that many, many of our friends and family are/were as fanatical about the show as we are! These fans range from my beautiful, blonde, cheerleading, valedictorian (to be this May) seventeen-year-old nience; to my forty-year-old nephew-in-law, who just happens to be a Sheriff and detective; my friends at work who are equally male and female, ranging from the ages of early twenties to into their sixties (I work in credit card security at a major company). You guys may have gotten tired of coming up with storylines, and yes, every show needs to go out with dignity and not stay around so long that the stories get ridiculous. And no, not every episode was a "winner", but about 95% were, in our humble opinion!

I believe it wsa Andy Breckman, or it could have been a writer, that said that Monk only really had two signature lines-:"You'll Thank Me Later" and "Here's the Thing." Come on guys! What about "It's a gift and a curse", "Call the Captain, I just solved the case!", or "Here's What Happened". There are some great signature lines. My husband and have watched all of the shows so much, we quote just regular lines that were only used once, if it happened to make us laugh or it was in one of our favorite episodes. It's very difficult to pick a favorite on this series. Some of my absolute favorites (that I know almost all of the dialogue to) are "Mr. Monk and The Three Pies", "Mr. Monk and the Astronaut", "Mr. Monk Stays in Bed", "Mr. Monk gets Jury Duty", and "Mr. Monk and His favorite TV Show". Also, my husband and I laughed ourselves silly in the Season 8 (I believe) episode where Captain Stottlemeyer joins a monastary after believing he was magically cured by a fountain. When Tony, Traylor, and Ted were summing up the case in Monkish chants at the end, I didn't think I'd ever stop laughing. I hope you guys had as much fun doing that as your fans had watching it! My husband will sometimes (still), when he wants to make me laugh, chant "Here's what happened..." in the Monk chant.

Also, speaking of Captain Stottlemeyer, Ted Levine was SO believable as a rough-edged, all-man, gruff-but-with-a-heart-of-gold Police Captain. Ted, thanks for eight great seasons of such an enjoyable, realistic, and believable character. And what can we say about Tony's acting? Wow. My husband and I have said that we cannot imagine anyone else who could have pulled off a character like that and made him believable and irritating (such as a person like that would be in real life) and lovable all at the same time. The character of Monk is truly an icon as is Tony. And thank you Andy Breckman for coming up with the character and for you and the writers focusing a whole, whole lot on the characters. That made all the difference. I mean, you had kick-butt writing, lots of humor, and amazing mysteries (which we loved), but focusing more on the interaction between the four principal characters is what mainly set this awesome and wonderful show apart.

I have always wanted to get "my say" out about this show because it has meant so much to my husband and me. We watched it when we were happy, just relaxing on a Friday night (the DVDs) and, when he had a heart attack in May of 2011 and was on unpaid sick leave and we didn't know what we were going to do, just watching 'Monk' was a wonderful escape and just got us through and made us smile.

Thanks everyone who had a part in that show. You are gone but are certainly not, and never will be, forgotten.

Sincerely,

PJ Armour
Grass Range, MT

#2 jimmytherev123

jimmytherev123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:08 AM

Monk was a really funny and entertaining show, I really enjoyed it. Had so many laughs from it.

#3 Kawasakifan

Kawasakifan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

I just want the producers, writers, directors, actors, (and fans!) to know how much this show is missed and what it has meant to me and my family. When this series started way back in-what?-2002 or so, I heard people at work talking about it, but not being a totally avid TV watcher, I didn't pay much attention to the buzz. I happened to be engaged at the time (we later married in 2006) and my then-fiance would come down from Montana to Missouri to visit me. I had a great job and it was the perfect shift for me-late evenings. I worked from 4 p.m. thru 12:30 a.m. Well, my husband, who is a total Montana cowboy and not a big TV watcher either (his favorite shows at that time were the really oldies, "Gunsmoke" and "Bonanza") would have to sit around my house waiting for me to get off of my shift.

I would come home and he told me about this "really cool" show called "Monk". I told him I'd heard about it. He said it was a mystery/detective show but it was different from all of the rest-the detective had obsessive-compulsive disorder. Well, that didn't sound like a barrel of laughs to me but I was curious as to how a show like this hooked my tough-fronted husband. I did know he had a lot of fears that he would only share with those closest to him-he is afraid to fly, deathly afraid of tornadoes, and afraid of heights, to name a few. Believe me, he didn't have every phobia under the sun, like Mr. Monk, but I was touched that a character in a TV show could somehow comfort my 'tough-guy' future husband; my husband could relate to him and he always thought it would be cool to be a detective. I think he saw a guy didn't necessarily have to have it "all together" to be successful-using one's brain was enough sometimes! One night when I was off, USA Network happened to be running a Monk Marathon. This was in the middle of the series-around 2005 or so. Well, I was immediately just taken with the characters. I don't know why I was exactly, but I LOVE mysteries and Monk had some of the best writing/whodunit mysteries I'd ever seen. But it was more than that. My husband kept saying, "Monk is cool". Well, I thought so, too!

Fast forward and we are married. The series ends but we immediately order all of the DVDs-all eight seasons. The more we watched this amazing and wonderful anad sometimes humorous show, the more we fell in love with it. I'm sure the producers (as one has even said on a DVD 'extra') thought this concept was a bit off-the-wall and would never make it. Well, guess what guys? The DVDs have seen my husband and I through some tough times; it's been a wonderful comfort and we can watch the same episodes over and over again. I believe the appeal for my husband was identifying with Monk and his phobias. For me, it was a little different. Although I LOVE the writing and the mysteries and the humor, I think the thing that affected me the most about this show was knowing what it was like to feel left out and little bit different (Don't worry-"not crazy, just a fan" ha ha). But what I mean is, although I am a professional, full-functioning adult these days with a good life and plenty of friends, I remember being in my late teens and early twenties and just being a loner because I did not know how to relate to people at all. And that's the thing that I love most about the Monk series is: Monk had all of these problems and he isn't the most sensitive guy in the world; he can be downright annoying and rude sometimes, but he still has people around him who love him and support him.

That brings me to the characters. I've noticed on any of the many generic crime shows, such as 'CSI' or 'Law and Order', i hate to say it, but the acting usually sucks. Yet that isn't the worst part. The writers just basically deal with the mystery (and they aren't nearly as well-written and "gotcha!" like the Monk storylines are), but the writers of the generic crime shows don't focus on the characters hardly at all. When they make a feeble attempt, it doesn't work-they end up with boring, mechanical people. But Monk was all about its characters and I (and all my friends and family who loved Monk agree) love every one of them. Tony Shalhoub and Ted Levine are top-notch actors. I also loved Bitty Schram and later, Natalie (the natural and wonderful actress Traylor Howard), and the show would not be complete without 'Randy'. We LOVE Randy. Everyone on the show just clicked perfectly. They got on each others' nerves, but they remained loyal friends to one another. The added great characters of Julie, Benjy, Harold Krenshaw, Dr. Kamel (and later, Dr. Bell), Marcy Maven, and Ambrose were all wonderful and fit perfectly into the show, too. And having the lovely flashbacks of Trudy and Monk were good, too. I love the fact that you went for it all and it worked. You had comedy, mystery, action, great characters and character storylines, and some really touching moments between Monk and Trudy (some that made me and my 70 year old mother cry).

Prodcuers and writers and actors, don't think that only crazy people with phobias or illnesses were your fans. My husband and I have a lot of inside jokes and many times, we will quote Monk in a given situation. We love to quote Monk. But we found out, to our surprise, that many, many of our friends and family are/were as fanatical about the show as we are! These fans range from my beautiful, blonde, cheerleading, valedictorian (to be this May) seventeen-year-old nience; to my forty-year-old nephew-in-law, who just happens to be a Sheriff and detective; my friends at work who are equally male and female, ranging from the ages of early twenties to into their sixties (I work in credit card security at a major company). You guys may have gotten tired of coming up with storylines, and yes, every show needs to go out with dignity and not stay around so long that the stories get ridiculous. And no, not every episode was a "winner", but about 95% were, in our humble opinion!

I believe it wsa Andy Breckman, or it could have been a writer, that said that Monk only really had two signature lines-:"You'll Thank Me Later" and "Here's the Thing." Come on guys! What about "It's a gift and a curse", "Call the Captain, I just solved the case!", or "Here's What Happened". There are some great signature lines. My husband and have watched all of the shows so much, we quote just regular lines that were only used once, if it happened to make us laugh or it was in one of our favorite episodes. It's very difficult to pick a favorite on this series. Some of my absolute favorites (that I know almost all of the dialogue to) are "Mr. Monk and The Three Pies", "Mr. Monk and the Astronaut", "Mr. Monk Stays in Bed", "Mr. Monk gets Jury Duty", and "Mr. Monk and His favorite TV Show". Also, my husband and I laughed ourselves silly in the Season 8 (I believe) episode where Captain Stottlemeyer joins a monastary after believing he was magically cured by a fountain. When Tony, Traylor, and Ted were summing up the case in Monkish chants at the end, I didn't think I'd ever stop laughing. I hope you guys had as much fun doing that as your fans had watching it! My husband will sometimes (still), when he wants to make me laugh, chant "Here's what happened..." in the Monk chant.

Also, speaking of Captain Stottlemeyer, Ted Levine was SO believable as a rough-edged, all-man, gruff-but-with-a-heart-of-gold Police Captain. Ted, thanks for eight great seasons of such an enjoyable, realistic, and believable character. And what can we say about Tony's acting? Wow. My husband and I have said that we cannot imagine anyone else who could have pulled off a character like that and made him believable and irritating (such as a person like that would be in real life) and lovable all at the same time. The character of Monk is truly an icon as is Tony. And thank you Andy Breckman for coming up with the character and for you and the writers focusing a whole, whole lot on the characters. That made all the difference. I mean, you had kick-butt writing, lots of humor, and amazing mysteries (which we loved), but focusing more on the interaction between the four principal characters is what mainly set this awesome and wonderful show apart.

I have always wanted to get "my say" out about this show because it has meant so much to my husband and me. We watched it when we were happy, just relaxing on a Friday night (the DVDs) and, when he had a heart attack in May of 2011 and was on unpaid sick leave and we didn't know what we were going to do, just watching 'Monk' was a wonderful escape and just got us through and made us smile.

Thanks everyone who had a part in that show. You are gone but are certainly not, and never will be, forgotten.

Sincerely,

PJ Armour
Grass Range, MT

What a beaiiful tribute! I am sure there are millions of fans who feel tjhe same way. You give voice to their feelings..

Kawasaki Fan

#4 Reiterin

Reiterin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:31 AM

What a great story. thanks for sharing your views and experience with the show.

I got into the show kind of late. maybe the 4th season(?) but I never looked back once I was hooked on it. it was one of those shows that I could watch with my whole family. - something we don't normally do.

truly great show!

Posted Image

Posted Image

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved