• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Raider316

Raider316

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:29 AM

because they don't like ads Pedigree was running during the show. You know the ones where Pedigree was promoting adoption of abandoned dogs in overcrowded shelters. That's ok its not a big problem. We can just kill off the dogs who don't have perfect blood lines, Right?

Did you know 7 out 10 animals who are in shelters are euthanized; 3 - 4 million a year to be exact!(as reported by the SPCA)
No need to support a cause to help eliminate this terrible problem right Westminister?

There's nothing wrong with celebrating the beauty of a dog but dog lovers owe it to all breeds whether they be mixed or pure to look out for them and ensure their safety and well being.

http://www.nytimes.c...onsor.html?_r=1

#2 dunbrine47

dunbrine47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

And thus the flame war begins here too.

Edited by LI_Ann, 11 February 2012 - 01:09 PM.
Removed inappropriate link

#3 MCMB

MCMB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

because they don't like ads Pedigree was running during the show. You know the ones where Pedigree was promoting adoption of abandoned dogs in overcrowded shelters. That's ok its not a big problem. We can just kill off the dogs who don't have perfect blood lines, Right?

Did you know 7 out 10 animals who are in shelters are euthanized; 3 - 4 million a year to be exact!(as reported by the SPCA)
No need to support a cause to help eliminate this terrible problem right Westminister?

There's nothing wrong with celebrating the beauty of a dog but dog lovers owe it to all breeds whether they be mixed or pure to look out for them and ensure their safety and well being.

http://www.nytimes.c...onsor.html?_r=1

#4 MCMB

MCMB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

I am very concerned about this action on Westminster's part. I found Pedigree's sponsorship of Westminster to be very responsible and enlightening. I also find it disturbing that there were viewers who complained about the advertising. There has been a growing sentiment that the AKC and its member clubs (like Westminster) are simply not doing enough to curb the abusive practices of commercial breeders (aka puppy mills) and eliminating the Pedigree Humane Society campaign from its show is evidence of this. Westminster should be letting Pedigree run these ads for free!

#5 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,509 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

Everyone should be able to discuss the dog show, the sponsors or anything else about this event on the forum. Opinions may vary but if you disagree with another member, please do it respectfully. If you have an issue with another member, please resolve it via PM and not publicly on the forum so that everyone can enjoy their time here.

Thanks!

LI_Ann

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

#6 dunbrine47

dunbrine47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

So what's next? Occupy Madison Square Garden?

#7 CallingBS

CallingBS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

By dropping the Pedigree ads they are basically saying they don't care for the dogs that are born to puppy mills. This is the perfect opportunity to put a "don't try this at home" PSA out so that more dogs aren't killed because they are not "perfect". Disgusting!

#8 realisticMike

realisticMike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

The dropping of Pedigree is clearly for political reasons...to support the arrogance of pure bred breaders! What a sad demonstration of recklessness and callousness of the members of the Kennell Club and Purina!
We are the owners of 4 pure bred dogs that my wife and I love dearly! However, the arrogance of the members of this organization is dissappointing. It almost takes you back to the World War 2 era...and farther!
Purina is part and parcel of this mind set by taking advantage of this attitide by the club. My families support of equal value for all types of dogs will be vocal in regards to this issue! By the animal you connect with...ignore the "class" of breed...follow your heart...ignore arrogance and class warfare!

#9 missholly

missholly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

Shame on you Westminster! I am completely appalled. Seriously I'm speechless.

#10 BUDINEASTON

BUDINEASTON

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Bad enough that Westminster dropped Pedigree. However, in the past, during his commentary David Frei often urged people to get a purebred dog from a responsible breeder but IN ADDITION to adopt an animal from a shelter. This year, no such comment! SHAME ON YOU DAVID!!!!!!!!! I assume Westminister likes to pretend that these dogs don't exist, or perhaps, since they aren't purebreds, they don't matter!

#11 marush

marush

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

I don't care for the dog shows because they ALMOST ALWAYS pick the toy or small breeds as Best in Show. The large dogs haven't got a chance. As far as dropping Pedigree, I think Westminster is cruel and thoughtless. Are you aware of the number of dogs/puppies euthanized every year for space issues in shetlers and how they're euthanized? Why not give these homeless animals a chance at finding a home? It's not their fault they were put in a high=kill shelter. Let us be their voice. Shame on you Westminster!!!! I buy Pedigree dog food and will continue to do so. At least they have a heart.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved