Advertisement

No Celebrity Endorsement Implied

Photo
- - - - -

Episode Discussion: Season 3, Episode 14, “Pulling Strings”, Airs Tuesday Feb 7, 2011

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#141 nina65

nina65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:54 AM

Oh, no. Sara asked Neal to explain about Alex in the beginning of "Under the Radar". I forget the exact wording, but it went like this.

Sara: You don't have to explain to me, Neal. I had a life too. But if we're going to be together, then don't lie to me.
Neal: I would never...
Sara: Yes you would. So...Alex.

This is before Neal and Alex kiss. I don't know if this is just to keep Neal on his toes, or what, but I find the whole attitude of hers distasteful in the extreme. She's horrible to Neal -- and I don't want to know why. I don't want excuses. Neal deserves someone who will love him for who he is, and not someone who refuses to give him equal footing in the relationship. End of story.

My take on that scene is that He didn't have to explain about the relationship or why he made it appear less than what it actually was but if they will decide to get into a relationship, then she would want an honest answer. And so she asked again what exactly is the status of his relationship with Alex. She wasn't asking for an explanation. Just an answer if they are through or not.

Being sassy and not taking Neal's crap does not mean she has to be a b*tch...and yet she is. All the time, with no exceptions.

I never really cared for "Moonlighting", but I was quite young when it was on. At any rate, I wouldn't mind if Neal and Sara had a romance that wasn't smooth. I like heated romance. The problem I have with Sara is not that she's just adversarial with Neal...she is just kind of mean.

I don't like her going through his desk (who does that???), I don't like her going through his things, I don't like that she isn't truthful about relationships with him, I don't like that she pretends to be better than him as a person because "she follows the law" or has some invisible line she won't cross (that keeps shifting when it suits her). I didn't like how unprofessional she was towards Neal in "Unfinished Business".

And there is nothing that we've seen of her that gives me any reason to give her the benefit of the doubt. She's kind of nasty to Mozzie. One of the most unforgivable Sara moments was when she was in the archives with Mozzie, and she's all, "I know why you're here," and Mozzie says "it should be obvious" or something, and then she mockingly says that yeah, the romantic tension between them is hard to ignore, etc. The way she said it was horribly condescending, like she couldn't ever imagine someone of her caliber liking someone like Mozzie.

And how about, her not-so-sincere "Look, I don't know why, but I like you". Yeah, you sound like it. Ewww. I don't like her attitude.

All these people agreeing with me. :blink:

There are so many inconsistencies with Sara's character. She changes personality to suit the needs of the episode. And it bugs me, because before she was on the air, I was a huge defender for the character. I really was. I kept reassuring people that the writers knew what they were doing, that she would be great...and I was so, so disappointed with what we ended up with. :(

I guess meanness is subjective. Some find her brass or mean, others don't. I guess some just don't want to or fail to see the good in her too. Her being not pushy about certain things like:

1. when she realized that they haven't really had a real date. And then she was quick to say it was okay though and then proceeded to ask Neal again about his current case even if Neal was already clearly thinking about what she just said.

2. when their date was interrupted by Peter who was going undercover. She took it in stride and even said, "Any man can cook me dinner but only you can draw a black widow in your closet." She even said best date ever.

3. that incident surreal mentioned above when she was asking about the truth on Alex. Neal gave her a one sentence answer. She then answered, "See that wasn't so difficult was it?" And then all is well.

4. after she saw Alex and Neal kissing. In the FBI office when he approached her and Alex, she gracefully left the two of them alone even if she was the one who got hurt in the earlier incident. And twice that night, she didn't grill Neal about the kiss and even told him when he said that he wasn't lying when he said he and Alex were over. In the office she just said she was a big girl and that they should just accept that she is who she is and he is who he is; and then later in the Burke house she said yes, he may have meant what he said that time he said it. Her kissing him after that and telling him he still owes her lunch is her way of saying things are okay.

5. of course the break up scene. She was hurting but remained calm and even told him to please take care of himself.

This is the side of Sara that haters seem not to consider. Neal had fallen short too but many times she was quick to shrug these off. She never asked for long explanations nor lingered to rub the issue in. Just straight answers and then everything is okay again. She never came across as a drama queen when it comes to the relationship. If she doesn't get an answer, then okay. She will just do what she thinks she needs to do. She never really guilt-tripped Neal on various occasions where she could have if she were really just a self-absorbed brazen bitch.

The writers can never please everyone. Again, like what I keep saying in my posts, I trust the writers that there is a reason for every character and why there are the way they are for the very reason that I don't believe that they can write really great characters and supposedly suck at one all the time. I am just watching to find out where each character goes. Posted Image

Edited by nina65, 11 February 2012 - 07:40 AM.

#142 Gwnevere

Gwnevere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

My take on that scene is that He didn't have to explain about the relationship or why he made it appear less than what it actually was but if they will decide to get into a relationship, then she would want an honest answer. And so she asked again what exactly is the status of his relationship with Alex. She wasn't asking for an explanation. Just an answer if they are through or not.

I guess meanness is subjective. Some find her brass or mean, others don't. I guess some just don't want to or fail to see the good in her too. Her being not pushy about certain things like:

1. when she realized that they haven't really had a real date. And then she was quick to say it was okay though and then proceeded to ask Neal again about his current case even if Neal was already clearly thinking about what she just said.

2. when their date was interrupted by Peter who was going undercover. She took it in stride and even said, "Any man can cook me dinner but only you can draw a black widow in your closet." She even said best date ever.

3. that incident surreal mentioned above when she was asking about the truth on Alex. Neal gave her a one sentence answer. She then answered, "See that wasn't so difficult was it?" And then all is well.

4. after she saw Alex and Neal kissing. In the FBI office when he approached her and Alex, she gracefully left the two of them alone even if she was the one who got hurt in the earlier incident. And twice that night, she didn't grill Neal about the kiss and even told him when he said that he wasn't lying when he said he and Alex were over. In the office she just said she was a big girl and that they should just accept that she is who she is and he is who he is; and then later in the Burke house she said yes, he may have meant what he said that time he said it. Her kissing him after that and telling him he still owes her lunch is her way of saying things are okay.

5. of course the break up scene. She was hurting but remained calm and even told him to please take care of himself.

This is the side of Sara that haters seem not to consider. Neal had fallen short too but many times she was quick to shrug these off. She never asked for long explanations nor lingered to rub the issue in. Just straight answers and then everything is okay again. She never came across as a drama queen when it comes to the relationship. If she doesn't get an answer, then okay. She will just do what she thinks she needs to do. She never really guilt-tripped Neal on various occasions where she could have if she were really just a self-absorbed brazen bitch.

The writers can never please everyone. Again, like what I keep saying in my posts, I trust the writers that there is a reason for every character and why there are the way they are for the very reason that I don't believe that they can write really great characters and supposedly suck at one all the time. I am just watching to find out where each character goes. Posted Image

Very well said. I, too like Sara, and appreciate your comments about a lot of her interactions with Neal. I didn't care for her too much when she first came on the scene but grew to really like her over time.

Without sitting down and and watching every episode she was in, it seems to me that she's nastier/bitchier/meaner (or whatever negative adjective people use for her) when she's working. And, doing what she does for a living, I don't imagine she would survive very long if she weren't somewhat hardened. Neal was part of her job when she first met him. I would bet that, just like Neal putting on the fedora puts him in "con mode", she naturally slips into "repo b*tch mode" on the job.

We don't ask. We don't care.

#143 nina65

nina65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

Very well said. I, too like Sara, and appreciate your comments about a lot of her interactions with Neal. I didn't care for her too much when she first came on the scene but grew to really like her over time.

Without sitting down and and watching every episode she was in, it seems to me that she's nastier/bitchier/meaner (or whatever negative adjective people use for her) when she's working. And, doing what she does for a living, I don't imagine she would survive very long if she weren't somewhat hardened. Neal was part of her job when she first met him. I would bet that, just like Neal putting on the fedora puts him in "con mode", she naturally slips into "repo b*tch mode" on the job.

Don't forget the baton. Posted Image

#144 Gwnevere

Gwnevere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

Don't forget the baton. Posted Image

Girl's gotta accessorize where she can! :P

We don't ask. We don't care.

#145 nina65

nina65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:56 AM

Girl's gotta accessorize where she can! :P

And what an accessory it is!

#146 Pokeyshadow

Pokeyshadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

Have to say 2nd viewing I am enjoying much more.

I do like the relationship that Neal is developing with Jones and Diana.

But 2nd time around, that doll is still creepy and so is Kramer.

#147 ansel

ansel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

That definitely seems to be the case this part of the season - liking episodes much better the second time watching than the first. I felt that way for the past two. Agree - the doll is super creepy and Kramer is even creepier than the doll!!

As much as I am enjoying the closer friendship that Neal is developing with Jones and Diana, for me it's not making up for Mozzie replacing Neal in the Burke's life. I know Mozzie has had a unique relationship with Elizabeth for a long time now, and I've really liked that. But I don't like the way Peter has gotten so "chummy", for lack of a better word, with him. It just doesn't sit well with me!

And I'm thinking that since they are letting us enjoy the new friendship of Neal, Diana, and Jones, that's means they will tear it apart at some point in the next two episodes.

Edited by ansel, 11 February 2012 - 01:03 PM.

final+glimpse+copy-001.jpg

#148 Pokeyshadow

Pokeyshadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

That definitely seems to be the case this part of the season - liking episodes much better the second time watching than the first. I felt that way for the past two. Agree - the doll is super creepy and Kramer is even creepier than the doll!!

As much as I am enjoying the closer friendship that Neal is developing with Jones and Diana, for me it's not making up for Mozzie replacing Neal in the Burke's life. I know Mozzie has had a unique relationship with Elizabeth for a long time now, and I've really liked that. But I don't like the way Peter has gotten so "chummy", for lack of a better word, with him. It just doesn't sit well with me!

And I'm thinking that since they are letting us enjoy the new friendship of Neal, Diana, and Jones, that's means they will tear it apart at some point in the next two episodes.

Mozzie being at the Burkes is so wrong in so many ways I can't even voice it. To me he seemed out of place no matter how much the in-laws liked him
I'd like to think the closeness between Neal and Diana and Jones will come to play in the whole Kramer thing. For some reason, I think they will all back Neal through this or Peter since I'm not convinced who Kramer's intended target it.

#149 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,577 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

White Collar | Did anyone else get an unsettling vibe this week when Kramer (played by Beau Bridges) shared with Diana his concerns about the NYC FBI office possibly being complicit with Neal's sketchy endeavors? Is he merely looking to do right, or is he perhaps also operating off an agenda? "Both," answers Tim DeKay. "But it's extremely well-written in that his agenda is not Machiavellian. He's not being evil with it, and you'll understand where he's coming from." Nonetheless, Peter would be wise to be very judicious in deciding whether to commute Caffrey's sentence. As seen in the next episode, which DeKay directed, "Peter will realize his decision is going to not just decide Neal's fate but possibly also decide his own."

http://www.tvline.co...ide-line-scoop/

Mozzie being at the Burkes is so wrong in so many ways I can't even voice it. To me he seemed out of place no matter how much the in-laws liked him
I'd like to think the closeness between Neal and Diana and Jones will come to play in the whole Kramer thing. For some reason, I think they will all back Neal through this or Peter since I'm not convinced who Kramer's intended target it.

I agree with both of you. I'll admit that I did enjoy the episode more the second and third times I watched it but just because Mozzie is being his old "quirky" self doesn't mean he's best buds with Peter and certainly doesn't mean that I've forgotten or forgiven what he did this season.

I enjoyed watching Neal work with Diana so much. They did an excellent job solving Sara's case without Peter. I did miss the interaction between Peter and Neal but I know they said Tim was preparing for the next episode which he is directing. What's up with that anyway? Did I fall in love with White Collar because Tim DeKay might direct an episode in the future? NO.......I fell in love with White Collar because of the obvious chemistry between the two leading men. I don't understand why they had to curtail Peter's role in this episode because he's directing the next one. Either he knows how to do it or he doesn't. One week of preparation isn't going to make him Steven Speilberg.

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

#150 CathysOpinion

CathysOpinion

Collar Nutcase

• Members
  • 11,009 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

I agree with both of you. I'll admit that I did enjoy the episode more the second and third times I watched it but just because Mozzie is being his old "quirky" self doesn't mean he's best buds with Peter and certainly doesn't mean that I've forgotten or forgiven what he did this season.

I enjoyed watching Neal work with Diana so much. They did an excellent job solving Sara's case without Peter. I did miss the interaction between Peter and Neal but I know they said Tim was preparing for the next episode which he is directing. What's up with that anyway? Did I fall in love with White Collar because Tim DeKay might direct an episode in the future? NO.......I fell in love with White Collar because of the obvious chemistry between the two leading men. I don't understand why they had to curtail Peter's role in this episode because he's directing the next one. Either he knows how to do it or he doesn't. One week of preparation isn't going to make him Steven Speilberg.

It's common practice when directing a TV episode, for the director to scope out the filming locations a week for directing the actual episode.

I also am not too happy about Peter and Mozzie's enhanced chuminess. Poor Neal is still feeling the wrath from Peter about the treasure that Mozzie stole and Mozzie is treated like nothing happened. In Upper West Side Story, I would have liked to see Peter tell Neal he would only go to the Yankees game if Neal went with him.
Cathy

Just an FYI, I assist Ann (LI Ann) in managing the White Collar Forum. Ann is an official moderator.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them in the WC Forum Online Community thread.

If you are looking for a specific discussion, then take a took at Ann's very nifty index, WC Forum Index.

#151 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

It's common practice when directing a TV episode, for the director to scope out the filming locations a week for directing the actual episode.

I also am not too happy about Peter and Mozzie's enhanced chuminess. Poor Neal is still feeling the wrath from Peter about the treasure that Mozzie stole and Mozzie is treated like nothing happened. In Upper West Side Story, I would have liked to see Peter tell Neal he would only go to the Yankees game if Neal went with him.

Agree with the first paragraph, disagree with the second one. ;-)

Neal and Sara both indicated that Peter is over the treasure. Peter could be keeping Neal at arm's length a little more now because now, more than ever before, he has to remain objective about Neal. He likes Neal, even loves him, and he would do just about anything for him. The bigger issue is not whether Peter is over the treasure, but if he can safely release Neal into the world.

Peter is waging an internal battle with himself. He's leaning towards commutation, you can tell...but he has to keep everything in perspective. I think he's afraid that letting Neal get too close in this time frame could also lead to questions on whether or not Peter is being objective, and whether or not Neal is conning them, etc.

Edit: Hit post before I was done. :P What this leads to is now that Peter likes and depends on Neal (and Mozzie), the person he will turn to more is going to be Mozzie. Also, if Neal does run at the end of the season, this relationship with Moz might be the only thing that keeps Peter from crumbling.

Edited by Surreal44, 11 February 2012 - 03:58 PM.

---The End ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Avatar created by unknown person. If someone finds the owner, please let me know.

#152 UpstateRules

UpstateRules

White Collar: You're Simply the Best.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

I always thought they made it clear from the first episode that Neal's freedom and Peter's FBI career were inextricably linked the minute Neal stepped over the prison door "jam".

EYES_zps65713186.jpg

#153 suebsg9

suebsg9

Peter Burke Appreciation Society

• Members
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

It does if you are scouting locations and guessing doing a movie in three months and a tv show in a week is a big difference between spielberg and tdk. Who next year is going to do another eps as long as the show is on the air he is planning on directing one every year which I think is great. And he seemed to enjoy it from the interviews coming out from going to Yankee Stadium. I watch for PEter and Neal but gives the actors other actors to work with and its one week out of the show. Sounds like Matt would also like to direct which would be great to see.

Sue
hhzyHve.png

Courtesy of Aragarna

MICHIGAN STATE SPARTANS ROSE BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!

#154 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

Aw, give me a little credit. I know that Sara is not a horrible person. Not being a horrible person is not actually grounds for me to like her, though. ;-) For example, based on what I know of Sara, she would not leave someone lay in the gutter to die. She does care when someone is murdered or dies, because she has experienced her own loss. She enjoys the hunt for lost objects, and gains satisfaction from retrieving them. These are aspects of her character that I could admire, but I don't care for her overall, both in how she's developed and photographed (not her fault), and her personality (I realize this is technically the writers' faults, but still...she is who she is. :P )

---The End ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Avatar created by unknown person. If someone finds the owner, please let me know.

#155 ansel

ansel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

The more I think about the upcoming 2 episodes, the more I confuse myself with over-thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong please, but didn't the letter Peter read to Neal from the Probation Board say that they were going to have a hearing to decide whether or not to commute Neal's sentence and free him of the anklet? Right so far? So, in my mind that means that there are two possible outcomes - 1. Neal goes free and the anklet is gone, 2. They decide not to commute his sentence and the anklet stays on and he continues to be Peter's consultant. I don't remember it ever being said that there was a third possible outcome - that being that Neal's probation is revoked and he gets sent back to prison. So how did Kramer become the over seer of this hearing; he's with D.C. Art Crimes, is it part of his job to be in charge of all Commutation Hearings or was he for some reason chosen to over see Neal's? And does he have the authority to chose outcome #3?

final+glimpse+copy-001.jpg

#156 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

The more I think about the upcoming 2 episodes, the more I confuse myself with over-thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong please, but didn't the letter Peter read to Neal from the Probation Board say that they were going to have a hearing to decide whether or not to commute Neal's sentence and free him of the anklet? Right so far? So, in my mind that means that there are two possible outcomes - 1. Neal goes free and the anklet is gone, 2. They decide not to commute his sentence and the anklet stays on and he continues to be Peter's consultant. I don't remember it ever being said that there was a third possible outcome - that being that Neal's probation is revoked and he gets sent back to prison. So how did Kramer become the over seer of this hearing; he's with D.C. Art Crimes, is it part of his job to be in charge of all Commutation Hearings or was he for some reason chosen to over see Neal's? And does he have the authority to chose outcome #3?

I'm not sure how Kramer was chosen to over-see Neal's hearing. It could be that he was picked because he saw firsthand how the team has worked together, so he's more comfortable with them. Or he could have volunteered to do so.

He suspects a lot on the part of Peter and Diana on covering for Neal. He may be attempting to protect Peter in two ways; one is to act as the person who can maybe deflect some of the questions. None of the agents we have met have been incompetent fools, so anyone who looks into those files would see what Kramer sees...and they might not be so forgiving. The second reason Kramer could be acting to protect Peter is by making a move for Option #4 (the one I've suspected for a long, long time), which is to keep Neal in anklet but take him to D.C.

As far as I know, Option #3 is not on the table. I don't think the hearing is to see if they should revoke Neal's parole. I think it's to see if he's ready to be released into society or if he needs more time on the anklet.

The reason Moz and Neal were so nervous beforehand was because Peter had to talk to the board about Keller. THAT could have resulted in Neal going to prison.

#157 Beholder

Beholder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

I watched it for the 3rd time this morning. Yeah, I like the growing relationship of Neal, Diana & Jones too. They really seem to work well together. You could just tell Diana liked working undercover with him. Also, I like that Jones & Diana got to be around Neal to see how he is & see him in action. I hope the read they get on Neal is a good one & I hope they see what Peter sees.

I really liked how Neal asked to slap the cuffs on the bad guy. Seemed like he enjoyed it & I hope that feeling sinks in. Personally, I'm hoping that this was a another little step towards the "side of the light" for Neal...well... Peter's version of "the side of the light", not mozzies. LOL

I laughed again at how much Satchmo loved that doll. I bet it becomes his most prized toy. :)

Kramer creeps me out as well. Diana was the wrong person for him to threaten. For me, its starting to feel like Kramer is there to try and take them all down...not just Neal. His threats to Diana...uuggg. I can't wait for the next episode to see how everything starts to go.

B

Edited by Beholder, 11 February 2012 - 07:30 PM.

#158 Espionage

Espionage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

and the superfans of complaining continue, somebody please get a tissue and get rid of the broken records
Posted Image

#159 Espionage

Espionage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

well 1&2 both involve the commutation where they will discuss Neil's performance at the FBI and his activities. If Agent Kramer exposes Neal to have committed criminal behavior (e.g. the treasure) then he will obviously get sent to prison. before Agent Kramer arrived it looked like the only possible options were 1&2 since Keller confessed to the treasure and nobody wanted to sandbag Neil. with Agent Kramer a bunch of other options open, which i would argue is good for the show however im sure the negative nancy parade here will find something wrong with the storyline/writers/etc. i remember when Kramer first arrived back an episode ago they gave an explanation as to why he was back, but i dont remember the specific reason. i thought it was either peter asking for him to be back or the department looking for someone familiar with neil's line of work to review his files and give an opinion.
Posted Image

#160 Espionage

Espionage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

hey guys, i found this cartoon in the NY times, it's about time WC got the attention of brilliant comic artists

Posted Image
Posted Image

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved