96 replies to this topic

#1 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

Welcome to the Official White Collar Fashion Thread!

Have a question about the fabulous wardrobe our favorite characters wear?

Want to talk about Neal's sense of style?

Want to dish on Sara's dresses?

Have a burning need to discuss Peter's horrible fantastic shirt and tie combos?

Then this is the thread for you! (Heeee, thread! Get it? -crickets- Oh come on!)

All manner of questions, links to articles, discussions, and meta on fashion for White Collar are welcome here!

As always, there are just a few rules. Read them closely, and abide by them!

1. This is a positive thread. This means no character bashing. No bashing of the stars of the show.

What this means is, word your statements carefully if you have a negative comment to make. All opinions are welcome, but please choose your wording carefully.

Commentary on the body types or physical appearance of the characters or actors is discouraged. If you feel you must say something, BE CAREFUL HOW YOU WORD IT. They are real people. Think before you post. If you wouldn't want someone to say it to you, then don't post it!

This thread should be focused on the fabulous, daring, and sometimes awful fashions we see on our screens during the show.

2. If you ask a question about an article of clothing or jewelry, do not get frustrated if no one can answer the question. Posted Image We do our best to know what's going on, but there will probably be many times when we just don't know.

3. Have fun! This is the most important rule!

Edited by LI_Ann, 23 November 2012 - 09:47 PM.

---The End ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Avatar created by unknown person. If someone finds the owner, please let me know.

#2 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,515 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

It's cold and windy with icy drizzle here and you managed to make me laugh.

I'll tell you what I know about Prada...

... I can't afford it :P

Edited by LI_Ann, 19 January 2012 - 10:16 PM.

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

#3 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

It's cold and windy with icy drizzle here and you managed to make me laugh.

I'll tell you what I know about Prada...

... I can't afford it :P

I'm sure I couldn't afford it. I'm not even sure what a Prada is.... -snerk- Good to know I can make you laugh!

---The End ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Avatar created by unknown person. If someone finds the owner, please let me know.

#4 CathysOpinion

CathysOpinion

Collar Nutcase

• Members
  • 11,425 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

Loved the title! Totally agree with the guidelines.
Cathy

Just an FYI, I assist Ann (LI Ann) in managing the White Collar Forum. Ann is an official moderator.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them in the WC Forum Online Community thread.

If you are looking for a specific discussion, then take a took at Ann's very nifty index, WC Forum Index.

#5 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

Thank you! :-)

#6 Duffy

Duffy

Dog Mom

• Members
  • 10,869 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

I never thought about asking about clothing since my only interest is the way it looks on Matt and he's a man so I wouldn't be looking for ideas to begin with. I do find it interesting though that anyone would think we fans would know anything about that. B)

#7 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

To get things started, here is an on-line article from "The Urban Gentleman" about Neal Caffrey and his sense of style. It's a decent article, with lots of photos of a certain conman. ;-) The White Collar Style and Fashion Guide of Neal Caffrey

#8 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:40 PM

Fantastic, helpful, and hilarious insightful guidelines to Neal Caffrey's Style.

Found on AfterElton.Com , this flow chart is bound to help even the most hopeless of people in style find that Neal Caffrey look. Yes, I'm looking at you, Peter.

Neal Caffrey's Foolproof Guide to "White Collar" Fashion

Enjoy! B)

#9 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • 23,515 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

Surreal,

I shall not disregard your first post about the content of this thread.

I shall not character bash; I shall not star bash.

However, knowing how you feel about Insurance Investigator Barbie, this one is for you... :)

... I shall bash one of the ugliest dresses on the planet.

Posted Image

#10 pjna3

pjna3

Makes Me Smile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,250 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

Fantastic, helpful, and hilarious insightful guidelines to Neal Caffrey's Style.

Found on AfterElton.Com , this flow chart is bound to help even the most hopeless of people in style find that Neal Caffrey look. Yes, I'm looking at you, Peter.

Enjoy! B)

Ah yes, that one is hilarious!

But to be fair to Peter, I think in S1, the costume people seemed to aiming for a slightly rumpled Columbo-like style for him. As part of that, his clothing was not tailored well for his body. Everything was kind of loose. If he wasn't standing next to uber-stylish Neal Caffrey, I think he would have just looked ordinary, instead of borderline frumpy. (Does anyone use that word to describe a man? Err... guess I just did.)

Also in S1, it was clear that Neal was designated The Handsome One and Peter was the ordinary guy. I think TPTB were surprised at how the women responded to Peter Burke. It was quite obvious in S2 that they upped Peter's wardrobe dramatically. New colors, less formal combinations (like the cream jacket combo in "Point Blank" :wub:), and everything was much better tailored. Methinks Mrs. Burke took a look at Neal and took Peter shopping! :D

Oh hey, look, here's Peter in that outfit I love:

Posted Image

Another source of info about White Collar Syle:
http://www.usanetwor...tyle/index.html

You can see screen caps from several episodes and they tell you where they got all those lovely items. Lots of money spent on wardrobe on this show!!

BTW, that's where I learned that JJ Hats is the supplier of most of Neal's fedoras. (And I love hats.) So imagine my excitement when I stumbled upon the actual store in NYC! Fortunately I was with some non-WC friends who have known me forever, so they didn't roll their eyes too much when I squealed and insisted on stopping for photos.

Posted Image

Edited by pjna3, 20 January 2012 - 12:02 AM.

pff.png

Artwork by Kanarek - Thank you!!

#11 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • 23,515 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

Enjoy! B)

I love that flow chart! I've had it for a while but regardless of how much I enlarge it, I can't get it to post big enough to read. I'm so glad you posted the link. Why didn't I think of that? :blink:

This image is actually 10 inches wide and yet it appears so small.

Posted Image

Edited by LI_Ann, 20 January 2012 - 12:05 AM.

#12 pjna3

pjna3

Makes Me Smile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,250 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

Surreal,

However, knowing how you feel about Insurance Investigator Barbie, this one is for you... :)

Posted Image

You know, a lot of people hate Sara's wardrobe. I don't think it's so bad. Except this dress. It's bad. Those sleeves. And the spaghetti straps. Is it supposed to be strapless? If so, why the straps? If not, why those weird sleeves with the odd square err.... wing things on her shoulder blades? And the skirt's too tight.

Neal's outfit, on the other hand, is perfect. He should always dress like this. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pff.png

#13 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

Surreal,

Posted Image

You know, a lot of people hate Sara's wardrobe. I don't think it's so bad. Except this dress. It's bad. Those sleeves. And the spaghetti straps. Is it supposed to be strapless? If so, why the straps? If not, why those weird sleeves with the odd square err.... wing things on her shoulder blades? And the skirt's too tight.

Neal's outfit, on the other hand, is perfect. He should always dress like this. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have so many words about that dress. I don't even know where to start. It's just awful. I don't care if even my girl Alex wore it; it is simply one of the worst dresses I have ever seen.

Bashing of clothes is acceptable, FYI. -grin-
`

Ah yes, that one is hilarious!

But to be fair to Peter, I think in S1, the costume people seemed to aiming for a slightly rumpled Columbo-like style for him. As part of that, his clothing was not tailored well for his body. Everything was kind of loose. If he wasn't standing next to uber-stylish Neal Caffrey, I think he would have just looked ordinary, instead of borderline frumpy. (Does anyone use that word to describe a man? Err... guess I just did.)

Also in S1, it was clear that Neal was designated The Handsome One and Peter was the ordinary guy. I think TPTB were surprised at how the women responded to Peter Burke. It was quite obvious in S2 that they upped Peter's wardrobe dramatically. New colors, less formal combinations (like the cream jacket combo in "Point Blank" :wub:), and everything was much better tailored. Methinks Mrs. Burke took a look at Neal and took Peter shopping! :D

Oh hey, look, here's Peter in that outfit I love:

Posted Image

Another source of info about White Collar Syle:
http://www.usanetwor...tyle/index.html

You can see screen caps from several episodes and they tell you where they got all those lovely items. Lots of money spent on wardrobe on this show!!

BTW, that's where I learned that JJ Hats is the supplier of most of Neal's fedoras. (And I love hats.) So imagine my excitement when I stumbled upon the actual store in NYC! Fortunately I was with some non-WC friends who have known me forever, so they didn't roll their eyes too much when I squealed and insisted on stopping for photos.

Oh, Peter does dress much better in Season Two. I think he's just not terrific with style or fashion -- either because he's not interested, or because he just doesn't care that much. -grin- I loved Peter's rumpled look, but after the improved look is so nice. His powerful frame looks fabulous in those jackets. Mmmm.

Of course, I enjoy t-shirt Peter just as much! ^^

I love that flow chart! I've had it for a while but regardless of how much I enlarge it, I can't get it to post big enough to read. I'm so glad you posted the link. Why didn't I think of that? :blink:

I tried to post the picture, but I am utter fail with computers, so when it wouldn't enlarge I decided to just post the link. ^^ I'm so happy to know that it's not just me that has those problems. \o/

#14 pjna3

pjna3

Makes Me Smile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,250 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:40 AM

Oh, Peter does dress much better in Season Two. I think he's just not terrific with style or fashion -- either because he's not interested, or because he just doesn't care that much. -grin- I loved Peter's rumpled look, but after the improved look is so nice. His powerful frame looks fabulous in those jackets. Mmmm.

Of course, I enjoy t-shirt Peter just as much! ^^

I think Peter just doesn't care that much. I'll bet though that he'll wear whatever El buys for him, as long as it's not too outlandish. But seriously I love what the costume dept has done with his wardrobe in S2 & S3. And yeah, t-shirt Peter is very yummy.

Did you read a recent fanfic about El & Neal bonding over shopping trips? And Peter is all happy that he doesn't have to be El's "dress up doll" anymore. Has some fantastic lines about how his wife is undressing in their bedroom with another man and he tells them to "have fun". This would be better if I posted a link. I'll try to find it.

ETA: I found it! But it's a WIP. http://nyxelestia.li....com/65557.html

Edited by pjna3, 20 January 2012 - 12:44 AM.

pff.png

#15 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:48 AM

I think Peter just doesn't care that much. I'll bet though that he'll wear whatever El buys for him, as long as it's not too outlandish. But seriously I love what the costume dept has done with his wardrobe in S2 & S3. And yeah, t-shirt Peter is very yummy.

Did you read a recent fanfic about El & Neal bonding over shopping trips? And Peter is all happy that he doesn't have to be El's "dress up doll" anymore. Has some fantastic lines about how his wife is undressing in their bedroom with another man and he tells them to "have fun". This would be better if I posted a link. I'll try to find it.

ETA: I found it! But it's a WIP. http://nyxelestia.li....com/65557.html

Yeah, I've been keeping a close eye on that one. -grin- I really need to stop being lazy and leave reviews. :/

I know a lot of people hated his outfits, but I thought Peter's clothes in "Company Man" were fantastic. I spent that whole episode ridiculously happy with every one of those amazing suits. -has no shame-

#16 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • 23,515 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

1327038495[/url]' post='1530636']
Yeah, I've been keeping a close eye on that one. -grin- I really need to stop being lazy and leave reviews. :/

I know a lot of people hated his outfits, but I thought Peter's clothes in "Company Man" were fantastic. I spent that whole episode ridiculously happy with every one of those amazing suits. -has no shame-

I can't explain it but I like the way Peter looks In casual clothes better than I do in suits.

I should mention that Tiffani's clothes are fabulous. She always looks classy and sexy. She has curves in all the right places and isn't the typical anorexic looking TV personality.

ETA: I hope that I'll learn how to type on this iPad soon. It's so hard to edit a post.

Edited by LI_Ann, 20 January 2012 - 01:02 AM.

#17 Duffy

Duffy

Dog Mom

• Members
  • 10,869 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

I can't explain it but I like the way Peter looks In casual clothes better than I do in suits.

I should mention that Tiffani's clothes are fabulous. She always looks classy and sexy. She has curves in all the right places and isn't the typical anorexic looking TV personality.

ETA: I hope that I'll learn how to type on this iPad soon. It's so hard to edit a post.

Keyboards on the newer iMac, Pad and Pod were made for hunt and peckers. My old 2003 eMac was a real typewriter type. Wish I'd kept that.

One of my favorite outfits for Sara was in On The Fence when she comes into the FBI office to report her meeting with Keller to Peter and meets Neal coming back from the interrogation room. Just a nice skirt and long sleeved blouse. Very springy and sweet.

#18 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

Keyboards on the newer iMac, Pad and Pod were made for hunt and peckers. My old 2003 eMac was a real typewriter type. Wish I'd kept that.

One of my favorite outfits for Sara was in On The Fence when she comes into the FBI office to report her meeting with Keller to Peter and meets Neal coming back from the interrogation room. Just a nice skirt and long sleeved blouse. Very springy and sweet.

Yeah, there are a few outfits that I like of Sara's. Most of the time, I find them to be too flashy, or too "working" girl for me...and I don't mean in the sense as an office professional.

I think my favorite clothes in the show are on Alex. Her clothes are sophisticated and fun. Elizabeth comes next. I love her curves, and the way they accentuate them.

#19 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • 23,515 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

Yeah, there are a few outfits that I like of Sara's. Most of the time, I find them to be too flashy, or too "working" girl for me...and I don't mean in the sense as an office professional.

I think my favorite clothes in the show are on Alex. Her clothes are sophisticated and fun. Elizabeth comes next. I love her curves, and the way they accentuate them.

I'm not a fan of Sara's clothes either but I absolutely love the way Alex dresses.

Her clothes are so New York chic!

Edited by LI_Ann, 20 January 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#20 CathysOpinion

CathysOpinion

Collar Nutcase

• Members
  • 11,425 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

I liked how Peter's wardrobe 'evolved'. Season 1 suits were a little too rumpled, made him look grouchy. Season 2 and 3 are much better, and the short sleeved shirts are much appreciated.

I generally do not care for the clothes they have Sara wear. She is such a pretty girl. I've always enjoyed Alex's wardrobe. I never cared for Lauren's clothes, except when they had her dress up for undercover, it seemed she always wore the same outfit. Diana, on the other hand, has some nice outfits.
Cathy

Just an FYI, I assist Ann (LI Ann) in managing the White Collar Forum. Ann is an official moderator.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them in the WC Forum Online Community thread.

If you are looking for a specific discussion, then take a took at Ann's very nifty index, WC Forum Index.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved