• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#41 Kim1982

Kim1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

I really enjoyed this episode. It did feel like a "classic" White Collar episode.

I loved how excited Mozzie was to help Evan get the girl. Peter describing Neal while describing his "son". The interactions between Peter and Neal were so sweet. I liked the ending with Peter and Neal's talk and Neal giving the tickets to Jones and Peter still going to the game. I loved Mozzie's "'you have no proof i'm here" line. I loved Peter and Neal sparring in the classroom. Just a nice enjoyabe episode.

I'l'll be honest I liked this better than Checkmate. I liked Checkmate but I did not love it like the majority of people did.

#42 Aragarna

Aragarna

Team DeKay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:42 AM

This was so much fun !! True classical White Collar ! They didn't miss the step back to normal episodes, which can often left a weird feeling of unfinished business.
Peter and Neal are more or less back to normal. Working good together, with the banter being a bit redirected... Loved how Peter was not fooled of Neal's actions to get back on his good side. I got the feeling Peter enjoyed torturing Neal a little. His was to make him pay for his past bad behaviour.
The whole undercover work was great - probably helped by the oh so classy suits...
God did Neal looks hot and cool as a teacher !
Great guest stars that made me feel like I was watching The Good Wife, with Graham Phillips and Dylan Baker.
Oh god Neal reading poetry.... I almost fainted (not to mention that Byron was portrayed by one of my other hotties, Gabriel Byrne, in the film Gothic)
Loved the Peter and Mozzie scene at Neal's.
Also the Peter and El scene on the patio.
But the heart of it for me were all those great Peter and Neal scenes. Dealing with the aftermath but on a lighter tone.
Oh and Neal giving the ticket to Jones so that Peter will get them anyway ! :D

I was surprised Peter had to testify so soon. Glad he had forgiven Neal enough, but since the mystery isn't about Peter's testimony, I'm actually worried for Peter. It might very well backfire at him. Not sure only El and Peter knows about Neal's responsibility in the treasure thing...

ZhL3auH.png

Check out TDK TV !

#43 cordelia

cordelia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:55 AM

:) :)
OMG how could I forget....Neal's delight at watching Peter trying to get that blue dye off his hands. HHmmm...Neal ...had any experience with that sort of thing?? :)

Neal's calling Peter "Papa Smurf" then!

#44 Oregon

Oregon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

I think I've heard it on another show (probably Castle) so I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate, but apparently, you don't need a warrant at all to open a locker.

I enjoyed this episode so much! It's a relief after "Checkmate", which in my opinion was one of the weakest episodes of WC.
UWSS might have been a tiny bit rushed but I think the pace was good overall, with witty quotes sprouting left and right. :D My personal favourite:
Woods: You're the teacher? My daughter didn't describe you as being so...
Neal: Bookish?
Woods: Symmetrical.

Yeah, I wish I had had such "symmetrical" teachers. :lol:

Like the rest, I noticed the slight hesitation in Neal when Chloe asked about his name. Paired with that comment from Jeff Eastin I'm now convinced that Neal is his real name while Caffrey an alias. Also, his advice to Chloe about not running away felt very personal - like when he was faced with such a life changing event, he had made a wrong choice.

This was a lot of fun to watch and very entertaining. I wish Matt Bomer would do a audio CD of poetry. He could bring poetry back in fashion! As for needing a warrant or not to open the locker, Peter has already done so many illegal things because of Neal, he's starting to write his own book on legality.

#45 suebsg9

suebsg9

Peter Burke Appreciation Society

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

This was a lot of fun to watch and very entertaining. I wish Matt Bomer would do a audio CD of poetry. He could bring poetry back in fashion! As for needing a warrant or not to open the locker, Peter has already done so many illegal things because of Neal, he's starting to write his own book on legality.

This to me was a fun episode we got away from the drama of what happend with El and we got back to our smart guys doing illegal things. I mean Peter hesitating on pulling the fire alarm was great. You can see the conflict in him of do I do this or don't I and Neals expression was priceless; he so enjoyed Peter doing that. And thats is exactly what the guys do best they think on their feet when they are trying to solve a case and what to do. And even seeing Diana help peter out with being his girlfriend Danielle. Of course the whole dinner scene was again well played out and I guess hard scene to play since from pics Lexi posted on twitter was hard for all of them to keep straight face; look for gag reel material there. I mean Woods girlfriend and reason she didn't like Aspen because it snows? I love Peters xpression PRICELESS. Of course Tim has expressions to anything down pat.

And agree Matt did a great job at the poetry. So this eps did give my hour of enjoyment well two since stayed up and watched the one oclock showing and yes I am able to function at work the next day ripleys believe it or not. And be intresting in the 4 weeks we have left of episodes to see if what Peter did with the board comes back to haunt him. Fun to watch Neal suck up to Peter; also entertaining Moz hiding out from Peter. Willie and Tim can have good interaction even when Willie is not in the same room with him.

And next week should be intresting but going to enjoy the reruns of this eps when they come on and hopefully be able to watch on my ipad. Nice if it was free like Checkmate was :)

Sue
hhzyHve.png

Courtesy of Aragarna

MICHIGAN STATE SPARTANS ROSE BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!

#46 debmart

debmart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

'White Collar' Recap: 'Upper West Side Story' (3.12)
January 24th, 2012 11:03pm EST | Posted Image By: Brittany Frederick Oh, White Collar. I love you for your ridiculous charm.

Posted Image

The case of the week sees Neal and Peter approached about potential embezzlement at upper-crust Manhattan Prep. The lead suspect is Andy Woods (Dylan Baker, who's played a bad guy so often we should just assume he's the villain every time he shows up), who's in charge of the school's endowment and may have cartel ties. To check him out, our dynamic duo goes undercover, which leads to plenty of entertaining shenanigans.

Just minutes after their arrival, Neal gets mistaken for a substitute teacher, but rolls with it when he sees that Woods' daughter Chloe (Elizabeth Gillies) is in the poetry class he's expected to teach. The result is reminiscent of Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society, minus climbing on the furniture. (Which makes Peter's later reference to the film all the funnier.) It's an effortless character, but we can still see hints of Neal Caffrey. When he says "Tragic romance - I know it well," we know all the pain that's in that statement without Matt Bomer having to lose that glimmer in his eye.

Meanwhile, Peter gets to know Woods, under the pretense of bringing Peter Jr. to the school. When he realizes the guy has checked him out, he's forced to concoct a bogus story about having an affair. As if that's not uncomfortable enough for him, he resorts to pulling the fire alarm in order to see what the school's headmaster has placed in Chloe's locker: a quarterly financial report dated for the upcoming week. When Chloe's crush on Neal leads her to invite him over for home tutoring, and Peter and his girlfriend (alias Diana) get invited to dinner, it's a perfect opening for the investigation.

At dinner, Diana stages a fight with Peter to distract Woods' ever-present bodyguard, while Neal slips out after trying to do a little matchmaking between Chloe and her classmate Evan. The latter part doesn't work so well. When she butt-dials her father, it gets Neal and Evan thrown out of the house, but not before Neal is able to get some important info off Woods' office computer.

The next day, Woods threatens Evan with expulsion, so Evan lets slip that he has "very powerful friends," blowing Peter's cover without meaning to. As Peter is being interrogated, Neal uses Chloe's tendency for butt-dialing to his advantage, pulling Woods out of the room so that he can come to Peter's rescue, even if it's with a birdhouse. Woods gets arrested, with Diana telling him "your girlfriend's cooking sucks." Oh, and Evan might just have a shot with Chloe. Most importantly, Peter decides not to tell the FBI about Neal's involvement with the treasure, giving Neal the benefit of the doubt - and a shot at freedom.

There have been plenty of stories about wrongdoings at schools; the Monk episode featuring a pre-White Collar Andrew McCarthy comes to mind, for example. What made that installment work was that McCarthy's character oozed an uncomfortable charisma. We knew he was evil, but he was also just a little bit endearing. This episode of White Collar has the same quality, except for that it's genuine. Neal's charm and his playful relationship with Peter serve this particular story perfectly. It's fun, it's engaging, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. After last week's "where is Elizabeth Burke?" drama, it's nice to have an episode that's more on the comedic side. After all, one of White Collar's great qualities has always been its ability to balance both genres, much like real life.

This is not a "whodunit" - we know the guilty parties within the first few minutes. It's not a plot-driven piece. No, this is an episode that builds on the qualities and quirks of our characters. For example, it's nice to see Peter and Neal show concern about Elizabeth's well-being. She's not suddenly back to normal after having been kidnapped. And a Say Anything reference from Mozzie? How awesome is that? This is an episode that reminds me why I fell in lovewith White Collar, and should put a smile on anyone's face.

http://www.starpulse...r_west_side_sto

Posted Image

#47 oldannette

oldannette

Head Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • 10,790 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

I'm not sure about the locker (although I think it falls under probable cause without issuance of a warrant), but the office they had a "no-knock" warrant for.

As for the locker, the standard is REALLY REALLY loose, partly because the lockers are, technically, school property. Schools often include a specific waiver of locker-privacy, but waivers don't always hold up ... The legality of searching a locker (or anywhere, for that matter) is never going to be absolute 100% of the time.

Have a look at this link, for some interesting info:
http://law.freeadvic...cker_search.htm

"Reasonable suspicion" seems, to be, a LOT less restrictive than "Probable cause". (Notice at the link that they even mention the school can search a student's pockets! Yikes and egads! The case in point is a school where "a student is believed to have been smoking on campus and ... denies it.") (That's pretty darn loose.)

Annette :)

black_line_1.jpg

annette_signature_talk_in_quotes_3a.jpg

#48 Duffy

Duffy

Dog Mom

• Members
  • 10,381 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

I haven't read all the posts so don't know if this was mentioned or not. I've been watching WC for quite awhile now and always the first run episodes. This is the first time I've seen little people walking onto the bottom of the screen like they do with later runs and not only was it there, it was for WC. What was that?! I always find that very annoying and have ranted about it before, but I've never seen it in this situation. When I watch the second run today I hope it's not there so I can do a DVD recording. I don't want that on there.

#49 easternmeridian

easternmeridian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

I haven't read all the posts so don't know if this was mentioned or not. I've been watching WC for quite awhile now and always the first run episodes. This is the first time I've seen little people walking onto the bottom of the screen like they do with later runs and not only was it there, it was for WC. What was that?! I always find that very annoying and have ranted about it before, but I've never seen it in this situation. When I watch the second run today I hope it's not there so I can do a DVD recording. I don't want that on there.

I actually snorted when I saw little Neal marching at the bottom of the screen. :lol: I definitely saw that in one of the previous episodes though, can't recall which one.

#50 Ellie4444

Ellie4444

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

[quote name='Beholder' timestamp='1327467818' post='1531941']
:) :)

Neal & Mozzie saving Peter. Why didn't I ever learn how to make a smoke bomb in chemistry class? :)

Glad this time the smoke bomb worked :D

#51 Sight19

Sight19

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

I have to admit that I was smiling and laughing the whole way through. It is good to see them back to somewhat better terms. I agree to most of the comments above that it was the best so far. The tension was still there but it was overall lighthearted. I love the reference to Harry Potter. Being an avid fan, I love to hear the impact those books made. (Don't know if anyone saw but the tie Evan gives to Neal at the end is red and gold, gryffindor colors.)

Makes you wonder of Neal is his real name...

#52 suebsg9

suebsg9

• Members
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

Neal: “I know I complicated your life.”
Peter: “Stop. Don’t say anything else.”
Neal: “Can I say thank you?”
Peter: “I told them the truth.”
Neal: “But you didn’t tell them everything.”
Peter: “What you did on this case. How you carried yourself…makes me believe this partnership can work.”
Neal: “I know what this opportunity means. Trust me.”
Peter: (Peter gives back the Yankees tickets) “They’re nice. But they’re not what matter to me.”

Great scene at the end of the episode. Liked how peter got to go to the baseball game after all love jones wondering if they were real he said they look legit lol.

http://www.tvgoodness.com/?p=4241

quote came from this review.

Sue
hhzyHve.png

Courtesy of Aragarna

#53 CathysOpinion

CathysOpinion

Collar Nutcase

• Members
  • 11,009 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

This episode was great. Plenty of great one liners, plenty of little scenes where our beloved characters are back to being themselves.

What I loved:

Neal reciting poetry
Neal and Mozzie playing matchmaker
Mozzie still hiding from Peter even though Peter knows he's there
Elizabeth back to getting Peter back on track with Neal
Diana getting very creative with her last minute undercover assignment that she gave herself
Neal making sure that Peter actually went to the game by giving Jones the tickets
Neal and Peter bromance back
Mozzie helping to save Peter
Once again, Neal going against armed people to save Peter using a birdhouse as a weapon!
Papa Smurf Peter
Peter realizing that Neal at his side is better than Neal going back to prison
Neal trying to 'suck' up to Peter
Peter and Neal in 'class'.
Cathy

Just an FYI, I assist Ann (LI Ann) in managing the White Collar Forum. Ann is an official moderator.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them in the WC Forum Online Community thread.

If you are looking for a specific discussion, then take a took at Ann's very nifty index, WC Forum Index.

#54 Sight19

Sight19

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

I forgot to add into my original post. I am a midwesterner and have never been to NY. So, can someone please tell me what building is used for the fictional Manhattan Prep?

#55 Sedona

Sedona

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Watched it again this morning, without all the distracting promos (On Demand) and it was even better than last night. I'll try to limit myself but here are some things I really enjoyed.

Very sharp dialogue throughout. And yes, another favorite line. "What are you, an alias savant?"

Peter and Neal, back on track again. Thank goodness.

Neal tutoring the kid in the hallway about how to present himself and hopefully, avoid expulsion. Learn from the best, kid.

Peter and Neal with their barbed exchange on poets.

Peter's crisis of conscience with the fire alarm. (Oh, and a nice villain too. Woods was really paranoid! With good reason, as it turned out.)

Neal and Mozzie falling all over themselves to help out, with Peter and with Evan. (I laughed aloud at 'hidden' Moz, refusing to come out even when Peter knows he's there.)

Peter and Elizabeth - only one scene but a big one. Peter being genuinely torn about taking the 'easy' way out regarding Keller's confession. Elizabeth's reassurance; her ire is at Keller, not Neal. (I cannot help but wonder if there will be repercussions from this though.)

Peter and Diana undercover! Oh, I really loved that and the argument over Peter Jr's new brother on the way.

Moz, the romantic with the roses and the quill pen.

Diana's line about the girlfriend's bad cooking.

The saga of the Yankee tickets; Neal to Peter, Peter to Neal, Neal to Jones and finally Jones and Peter. Perfect ending.
Posted Image

#56 suebsg9

suebsg9

• Members
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Watched it again this morning, without all the distracting promos (On Demand) and it was even better than last night. I'll try to limit myself but here are some things I really enjoyed.

Very sharp dialogue throughout. And yes, another favorite line. "What are you, an alias savant?"

Peter and Neal, back on track again. Thank goodness.

Neal tutoring the kid in the hallway about how to present himself and hopefully, avoid expulsion. Learn from the best, kid.

Peter and Neal with their barbed exchange on poets.

Peter's crisis of conscience with the fire alarm. (Oh, and a nice villain too. Woods was really paranoid! With good reason, as it turned out.)

Neal and Mozzie falling all over themselves to help out, with Peter and with Evan. (I laughed aloud at 'hidden' Moz, refusing to come out even when Peter knows he's there.)

Peter and Elizabeth - only one scene but a big one. Peter being genuinely torn about taking the 'easy' way out regarding Keller's confession. Elizabeth's reassurance; her ire is at Keller, not Neal. (I cannot help but wonder if there will be repercussions from this though.)

Peter and Diana undercover! Oh, I really loved that and the argument over Peter Jr's new brother on the way.

Moz, the romantic with the roses and the quill pen.

Diana's line about the girlfriend's bad cooking.

The saga of the Yankee tickets; Neal to Peter, Peter to Neal, Neal to Jones and finally Jones and Peter. Perfect ending.

Peter: (Peter gives back the Yankees tickets) “They’re nice. But they’re not what matter to me.”

The awww moment and I like how Peter did end up going to the game but at the same time he did give the tickets back to Neal expressing what he really wants from Neal.

Sue
hhzyHve.png

Courtesy of Aragarna

#57 DeepPoet117

DeepPoet117

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

I forgot to add into my original post. I am a midwesterner and have never been to NY. So, can someone please tell me what building is used for the fictional Manhattan Prep?

I was just reading Jeff Eastin's tweets and came across this one:

#WhiteCollar trivia: the school is actually Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York.

#58 Duffy

Duffy

Dog Mom

• Members
  • 10,381 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

This was a lot of fun to watch and very entertaining. I wish Matt Bomer would do a audio CD of poetry. He could bring poetry back in fashion!

Has anyone recorded that bit of poetry to put on You Tube or would that be allowed?

#59 annieclaus

annieclaus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Does anybody know what building was used as the exterior of New York Prep in last night's episode?

#60 Sight19

Sight19

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Thanks. Re-watching it right now and I got to the scene where Peter and El are talking. Peter says only himself and El know the truth. That is wrong. Sara knows that Neal had the treasure. Another thing that bugs me is that Alex is unusually silent...I know the actress is busy but a drop of her name would be nice since she was central in the music box con and finding the treasure.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved