4 replies to this topic

#1 Kawasakifan

Kawasakifan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:50 AM

Hi Folks,

Mr. Goldberg's latest Monk novel "Monk on the Couch" appeared in bookstores in Tokyo recently. On my second reading, I wonder what others might think about the book.

Some readers elsewhere have expressed disappoinment in the more active role given to Monk's' assistant Natalie. What do you feel?

Though Ambrose has found someone, the novelist has already ruled out any romantic bonds forming between her and her boss so where do you think he may be taking this new Natalie and what would you like to see as the closing chapter to thie series?

KF .

#2 JenniBee

JenniBee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

Natalie has been getting more and more comfortable at crime scenes, and even in the show she gave her opinion on cases. Natalie has always seen herself as an assistant not just for his mental health, but as an assistant for the Monk's cases as well. She's even referred to herself as Monk's partner before. So I don't think it's really a new or different Natalie, but a Natalie that evolved naturally throughout the show and especially the novels.

#3 Virgo

Virgo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

I enjoyed Mr. Monk on the Road and the storyline with Ambrose and Yuki.

Didn't enjoy Mr. Monk on the Couch as it seemed Monk regressed again. His carrying on about the sinful ways of Ambrose and Yuki got to be a bit much for me.

Could definitely have done without Detective Natalie. We already get plenty of her thoughts as narrator. Natalie has plenty of input without the focus being on her actually taking on cases. Too much Natalie and not enough Monk for me. (Just my two cents, probably worth even less. :P)

While I'll read the final books, can't say I'm invested any longer in the outcome.

I'd like Monk to go back to solving cases with the old team and ignore all the changes if another author ever picks up the series. Either the team of Monk-Stottlemeyer-Disher-Natalie or Monk-Stottlemeyer-Disher-Sharona. And Ambrose of course, with Yuki.

#4 danmianbei

danmianbei

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hello<BR closure_uid_6m9xxu="13383">I have little interest in the novel. Tokyo? Another day I let a friend purchasing one. Maybe I will like.

#5 lovethatmonk

lovethatmonk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

I found the book interesting with Ambrose and his assistant in a mature relationship...Natalie is still a character...always wanting to do like everyone does....want to make themselves useful to themselves and others around them. Sure she wants to be amature sleuth..but we know that as time moves on..she will strengthen her detective skills...but not to Adrian's capabilities.....I love the books...but will be sad when the last one comes out...:(

LTM

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved