67 replies to this topic

#1 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

A thread to discuss Alex Hunter, and a place to appreciate Gloria Votis.

The topic description is Greek for "silver thief". A little play on Gloria's Greek heritage. B)

Posted Image

Edited by Surreal44, 08 September 2011 - 01:05 PM.

---The End ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Avatar created by unknown person. If someone finds the owner, please let me know.

#2 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,480 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:07 PM

This is good. We didn't have a thread for Alex/Gloria.

I really like her. Alex is fun - smart and sassy. I'm glad that she'll be back.

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

#3 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:26 PM

This is good. We didn't have a thread for Alex/Gloria.

I really like her. Alex is fun - smart and sassy. I'm glad that she'll be back.

She is a lot of fun. I enjoyed her brief moments with Mozzie and with Peter as well. And of course, I think she and Neal have fabulous interactions, whether they are sexually charged or not.

I really do hope we get her back for a few episodes next season. I wonder how she'd feel about finding out the treasure didn't burn after all. It seems like she spent her entire adult life looking for this treasure. It's too bad there were issues for having her back this season. It would have been a lot of fun to find out if Neal would have included her, or if he would have kept it a secret from her as well.

---The End ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Avatar created by unknown person. If someone finds the owner, please let me know.

#4 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • 23,480 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

She is a lot of fun. I enjoyed her brief moments with Mozzie and with Peter as well. And of course, I think she and Neal have fabulous interactions, whether they are sexually charged or not.

I really do hope we get her back for a few episodes next season. I wonder how she'd feel about finding out the treasure didn't burn after all. It seems like she spent her entire adult life looking for this treasure. It's too bad there were issues for having her back this season. It would have been a lot of fun to find out if Neal would have included her, or if he would have kept it a secret from her as well.

I'd like to think that Neal would have included her.

They go way back with the hunt for the music box and she has a right to know.

Edited by LI_Ann, 08 September 2011 - 09:33 PM.

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

#5 Collarista

Collarista

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:24 PM

I have been a fan of Alex/Gloria Votsis from the first season. Am glad to hear that there were issues involved with her not coming back this season. Otherwise, I couldn't imagine that she was left out of the rest of the story of the treasure. She was such a central character to the entire story and I would love to see her returm.

#6 Duffy

Duffy

Dog Mom

• Members
  • 10,847 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:29 PM

I have been a fan of Alex/Gloria Votsis from the first season. Am glad to hear that there were issues involved with her not coming back this season. Otherwise, I couldn't imagine that she was left out of the rest of the story of the treasure. She was such a central character to the entire story and I would love to see her returm.

What issues kept Gloria from coming back this season?

#7 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:29 PM

Woot! Alex fans!

The music box and the treasure are really Alex's story. I would love to find out if she became a grifter in order to find the music box, or if this is something her grandfather taught her.

And I wonder about Alex's parents. I know props are often unreliable, so I don't want to read too much into it, but her grandfather's obituary seemed to state that Alex was his only surviving relative. I wonder if her parents died when she was young, and she was then raised by her grandfather? She seems to have been close to him.

#8 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:31 PM

What issues kept Gloria from coming back this season?

Jeff said that there were scheduling conflicts of some sort. That's vague, and could really mean anything, I know. I did hear a rumor that the first episode of the season, in the sides it was Alex and not Cindy who was supposed to distract the guard at the gallery. I don't know if that's true or not, however.

#9 Yara

Yara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:22 AM

I really liked Alex's character as well, it'll definitely be interesting to have her back...

"Smile! It's the second best thing you can do with your Lips."

#10 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:36 AM

Posted Image
Photo courtesy of CKLL on lj. She has some amazing stuff.

#11 virgo79

virgo79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:23 AM

Okay, chiming in on the character discussion here, because Surreal and I were touching on this in another thread where it was verging on being off-topic. And let me preface this by saying my intention is not to rain on anyone's parade, but to really *discuss*. I like hearing from people with very different perceptions on characters and stories.

So, as I was telling Surreal, I'm actually *not* a fan of Alex. I don't dislike her. I don't have strong enough feelings about her to say I dislike her; it's just that as a character, she doesn't do anything for me. (Don't throw things yet; I will explain.)

As I was getting into this show, Alex struck me as an oddity on White Collar. This is a show with an abundance of strong, unique, fleshed-out female characters; that aspect is one of the things I quickly came to love about it. None of them were "token" women; they were people, well-rounded and each with a reason for being there. (Lauren Cruz might have fallen a bit short of that, but that's another discussion entirely.) In the presence of all these wonderful, deep, thoughtfully-created females, Alex Hunter struck me as a flat note. She seemed more type than character: the femme fatale, the sexy she-thief -- an oddly one-dimensional, undeveloped (or at least underdeveloped) female character on a show that boasted some really amazing women. She was The Sexy One, and she didn't demonstrate enough personality to hook me in any way. I never found her scenes with Neal particularly sexy, I think because they came across as existing only to be sexy. Even when they were shown in bed together in flashback, it came across more as screwing for something to do than anything else. It was sport, not passion. (Which I'm not condemning; they're both beautiful people and hey, sex is fun. But for me as a viewer, there wasn't any deep chemistry sparking there.)

In short, I couldn't figure out what was up with Alex, and why they had made her so one-note, when none of their other female characters suffered from that problem.

Now, since then, I've developed a theory. It doesn't make Alex any more engaging to me, but it at least serves as a solution to my puzzling over what the heck they were doing with her. I think the problem is not lack of depth, but rather the impenetrability of Alex's veneer. I never see anything but the mask. Alex's shine is never switched off long enough for me to see anything under the surface. But while that makes me open to the possibility of a fascinating person lurking behind that veneer, as opposed to a superficial character there for sex appeal and nothing more, it doesn't really solve the more immediate problem of my finding Alex uninteresting. She is too remote; she seems to view everyone around her with this detached and slightly contemptuous air. I get that she's supposed to be aloof and mysterious; the problem with mystery is that you have to hook me enough to make me want to dig deeper and know what makes that person tick. Alex just doesn't grab my interest. That's not to say she couldn't in the future, but she hasn't so far.

Okay. Discuss. Or throw shoes. :)
“Oh, my sweet summer child, what do you know of fear?
Fear is for the winter, my little lord, when the snows fall a hundred feet
deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long
night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children
are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and
hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods”

#12 Yara

Yara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

Okay, chiming in on the character discussion here, because Surreal and I were touching on this in another thread where it was verging on being off-topic. And let me preface this by saying my intention is not to rain on anyone's parade, but to really *discuss*. I like hearing from people with very different perceptions on characters and stories.

So, as I was telling Surreal, I'm actually *not* a fan of Alex. I don't dislike her. I don't have strong enough feelings about her to say I dislike her; it's just that as a character, she doesn't do anything for me. (Don't throw things yet; I will explain.)

As I was getting into this show, Alex struck me as an oddity on White Collar. This is a show with an abundance of strong, unique, fleshed-out female characters; that aspect is one of the things I quickly came to love about it. None of them were "token" women; they were people, well-rounded and each with a reason for being there. (Lauren Cruz might have fallen a bit short of that, but that's another discussion entirely.) In the presence of all these wonderful, deep, thoughtfully-created females, Alex Hunter struck me as a flat note. She seemed more type than character: the femme fatale, the sexy she-thief -- an oddly one-dimensional, undeveloped (or at least underdeveloped) female character on a show that boasted some really amazing women. She was The Sexy One, and she didn't demonstrate enough personality to hook me in any way. I never found her scenes with Neal particularly sexy, I think because they came across as existing only to be sexy. Even when they were shown in bed together in flashback, it came across more as screwing for something to do than anything else. It was sport, not passion. (Which I'm not condemning; they're both beautiful people and hey, sex is fun. But for me as a viewer, there wasn't any deep chemistry sparking there.)

In short, I couldn't figure out what was up with Alex, and why they had made her so one-note, when none of their other female characters suffered from that problem.

Now, since then, I've developed a theory. It doesn't make Alex any more engaging to me, but it at least serves as a solution to my puzzling over what the heck they were doing with her. I think the problem is not lack of depth, but rather the impenetrability of Alex's veneer. I never see anything but the mask. Alex's shine is never switched off long enough for me to see anything under the surface. But while that makes me open to the possibility of a fascinating person lurking behind that veneer, as opposed to a superficial character there for sex appeal and nothing more, it doesn't really solve the more immediate problem of my finding Alex uninteresting. She is too remote; she seems to view everyone around her with this detached and slightly contemptuous air. I get that she's supposed to be aloof and mysterious; the problem with mystery is that you have to hook me enough to make me want to dig deeper and know what makes that person tick. Alex just doesn't grab my interest. That's not to say she couldn't in the future, but she hasn't so far.

Best quote: "and hey, sex is fun" :P

About your post: I understand where the remote "dislike" is coming from, but I think it's important to remember that she is only a guest star (atleast I think, I don't really keep track if new (in this case old) faces are only guest starring or are becoming a part of the regular cast, but anyway) and as a guest star I think she has just enough personality to stir things up and make them interesting for a viewer.
However, if she was part of the regular cast, then yes, she would definitely have way too little to offer to be called interesting, so like I said, I do get where ur coming from.

Also, i don't think the character of Alex was written as a recurring character to begin with and thats why she is undeveloped/underdeveloped. I think it is only because the majority of the viewers liked her that she has occurred in as many episodes as she did. And because the writers weren't planning on it, I think that's why they haven't given her more personality.

Like i said, if they plan on giving her 1 or 2 episodes, the situation how it is is pretty much okay. If she stays longer, they gotta give her more depth.

Those were my notes on the character of Alex. :)

#13 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

I will respond to these interesting posts later. I injured my hip and am a bit limited at how long I can sit in front of the computer. :/

Below are links to fanfics for the WomenFest. They are character studies of Alex in the form of fanfic. Read and enjoy! Or not. It's cool. ;-)

Fanfic: I Walk Alone
Fanfic: To Tempt and to be Tempted
Fanfic: Insight

#14 virgo79

virgo79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:01 PM

I will respond to these interesting posts later. I injured my hip and am a bit limited at how long I can sit in front of the computer. :/

Well, that's not fun. :( Hope you feel better soon.

(BTW, friended you on lj.)
“Oh, my sweet summer child, what do you know of fear?
Fear is for the winter, my little lord, when the snows fall a hundred feet
deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long
night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children
are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and
hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods”

#15 Yara

Yara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:23 PM

Below are links to fanfics for the WomenFest. They are character studies of Alex in the form of fanfic. Read and enjoy! Or not. It's cool. ;-)

Ouch! I hope you feel better soon!

#16 CathysOpinion

CathysOpinion

Collar Nutcase

• Members
  • 11,402 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

Hope your hip is feeling better.
Cathy

Just an FYI, I assist Ann (LI Ann) in managing the White Collar Forum. Ann is an official moderator.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them in the WC Forum Online Community thread.

If you are looking for a specific discussion, then take a took at Ann's very nifty index, WC Forum Index.

#17 Aragarna

Aragarna

Team DeKay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:37 AM

I like Alex. I don't see her as underdevelopped. We don't know much about her, but that's fine to me. We don't need to. We don't need to know everything about everyone. She is just an occasional character, working with (or against) Neal.
To me, she seemed like the female version of Neal. If Neal was a guest star on a show about Alex, would we know much about him ? I doubt it. He is very secret, and mysterious, hiding himself behing a charming smile - just like Alex. But we know what kind of guy Neal is, and we know enough to see Alex is a lot like him - no need to over develop this then.
I like Gloria, and I think she had good chemistry with Matt. More than Kate or Sara, IMO. But that's maybe just me.

ZhL3auH.png

TeamDeKay.org - for everything TDK

#18 Yara

Yara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:21 PM

I like Alex. I don't see her as underdevelopped. We don't know much about her, but that's fine to me. We don't need to. We don't need to know everything about everyone. She is just an occasional character, working with (or against) Neal.
To me, she seemed like the female version of Neal. If Neal was a guest star on a show about Alex, would we know much about him ? I doubt it. He is very secret, and mysterious, hiding himself behing a charming smile - just like Alex. But we know what kind of guy Neal is, and we know enough to see Alex is a lot like him - no need to over develop this then.
I like Gloria, and I think she had good chemistry with Matt. More than Kate or Sara, IMO. But that's maybe just me.

Yeh I really don't see that... I like Alex and I think Gloria is very beautiful, but I've always felt like she clung too much at Neal, and that's something I personally dislike in every girl: "If a guys doesn't want you, he doesn't want you, there's no need to keep running after him" thats what I think whenever she tries to get cosy with him or flirt with him. Also, after their kiss in 2.16 (Under the Radar) Neal looked at her kinda weird, like it wasn't what he wanted. I think they're great together as "partners in crime" cuz they're both equally trustworthy as well as untrustworthy so that always makes for a nice game of cat and mouse, but anything more than that... nah, just don't see it.

But then again, this could all be a matter of taste, I don't like needy and clingy girls, I like strong and independent women. So maybe they do actually have chemistry, but I just don't see it because of that aspect of her personality that I dislike.

#19 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:07 AM

Hihi! Getting a few minutes to respond to you. I had sucky news from the chiropractor today. Booo. But I'm always up for talking up my gal for you. ;-)

I have to disagree about the show being full of well-rounded female characters. It has several characters that are indeed well-done, but none of them are really developed. They (the few I speak of) are interesting and engaging, and manage to avoid being flat characters. Lauren, Kate, Sara and Cindy come to mind as characters with excellent unfulfilled potential. I blame Lauren's lack of development partially on the actress, who often seemed stiff in her role. Kate was...I don't even know where to start. Sara and Cindy are the two I hope for the most, but like I said, they are severely lacking in proper construction as characters.

Every female character on the show has a trope...as do the males. This does not make them less of a character...it just means the trope is obvious. June and Elizabeth are the hearts. Diana is the resident Bad Ass. Sara is the resident Bitch-With-A-Heart. Alex is the Bad Girl, Cindy (more than Alex) is the Sexy One, Lauren was Career-Oriented, and Kate was a Symbolic Inamorata. They all have their place and function in the story. No trope is technically bad; even Sues can be useful, if done properly.

Before I delve into character construction and the flow of a character naturally fitting the story, I shall defend Alex a bit. ;-) I suppose because she is so similar to Neal and Mozzie's with regards to her 'career', it would be easy to dismiss her character. Especially since it seems you don't like the idea of her being "the Sexy One". Perhaps your dislike of such a character trope is why it's so easy to not be intrigued by her. To be fair, I admit that Sara's trope of almost total Sueness and Bitch-With-A-Heart makes me not want to get to know her. I won't even soften that with a "maybe that's why"; I know for a fact that this is why I don't like her. I don't really want to know her as a character because those are two of my least favorite tropes. (In case anyone wonders, there are male characters I despise for the same reason: Danny Messer on CSI:NY is a character I would happily kick in the teeth if I could. I looooooathe him).

-ignores urge to rant about Danny Messer- Back to Alex...When I look at her, I see a woman who is pretty much comfortable with herself. I see her as confident, competent, savvy, and yes, she IS sexy. No denying that. She has an unrequited love/passion/lust (pick your poison; mine is Loooooove) for Neal -- but she is not ruled by it. She lets Neal get away with far too much -- that isn't unusual in White Collar. Peter, Elizabeth, Mozzie, Sara, June...everyone -- lets Neal get away with things he shouldn't (see Gary Stu :P ), but even so, she is never afraid to call Neal on his BS.

Outside of her interactions with Neal, we know that she fences things. We know that she thieves. She can take care of herself, but like any human, she is vulnerable to attacks from Evil Bad Guys. And you're right; Alex IS mysterious. It's part of what makes her fun (for me). There is a lot of her that is locked away that we haven't seen yet. One thing I like about Alex is the warmth of her character. I don't find all her scenes with Neal to be "sexy", nor do I think they were meant to be. There were moments of sexual tension, but they were never over-stated. I wasn't whacked over the head with them, and that's fine by me.

I don't watch White Collar for romantic intrigue. ;-) What I do see with Alex is that she is guarded and wary around Neal. She cares deeply for him, maybe even loves him, but she's driven by something other than love. I'm talking about herself, of course. She is not an altruistic character. Alex is out for Alex, and I appreciate that. I think that like Neal, she is not interested in violence, and she does have a heart, but ultimately Alex knows she has to take care of herself.

Some of my favorite Alex moments come from the dichotomy of self-interest and a more sensitive nature. Giving the music box back to Neal (I believe she did because she loved him...and because she figured she could always steal the box back). Giving Peter a peck on the cheek right before she leaves the diner (and stealing the Matisse \o/).

The last scene she's in also is very telling about her character; she handles an awkward situation with more grace and aplomb than many of us could. She is warm, and sad, but not brittle as she handles another rejection from him. I don't mind that Alex has unrequited love/lust for him because it may shape her and her interactions with him, it doesn't change her as a person.

I know several Sara fans have said that Alex sees Neal as a pretty treasure. I don't believe that's the case. I think that she means it literally -- the treasure was real (so is Neal), and they're both too fantastic for her to ever have. It's a moment of weakness, and maybe even a moment of self-doubt for her. There are things that she wants, but they aren't ever quite within her grasp, and she can't hold onto them.

And yet Alex had the wisdom to walk away from the music box, the treasure, and from Neal. Of course, since the show revolves around Neal and Peter, any time Alex returns will more than likely be tied to Neal.

So now I move from Alex onto character construction, and introduction. Besides the terrible trope of Sara (in my opinion, of course ;-) ), I have issues with Sara's character in how she was built, how she was introduced, and well...everything. Alex may not be exciting or have enough chemistry with Neal for some people, but there is no question that she fits well into the White Collar world as a force who can, and does, tempt Neal to the "dark side" of gray. Her introduction as a recurring character makes sense from a storyline perspective. She provides a bit of delicious tension between Peter and Neal without being totally polarizing. She's an interruption in Neal's rehabilitation, but she's not inherently evil either.

But the point is that she has a reason, and there's a flow to the story. She is not inconsistent, nor do the stories bend to make room for her. The characters don't change because Alex is there. She fits and it's almost seamless. It's not perfect, and it would be nice if they did unmask her a little more, but that aloofness you dislike so much is enticing for me.

By contrast, Sara is somewhat messy. She was too hot, too forceful -- and for no reason that was explained. We can speculate and speculate, but we don't really know why Neal aggravated her so much. The switch from hating him with passion to understanding him as a human was strange, with little explanation. She went from being too forceful to almost passive. The introduction of her sister's story was just out of the blue (especially given that she told Neal earlier she had no siblings). Although I think Hilarie does a good job with Sara most of the time, the explanation about her missing sister lacked depth or sincerity. I half expected to find out that Sara made that story up because it was so...dull and out of no where. I wish she had made it up, in order to con Neal so she could pump him about the location of the painting. At least that would have made her interesting.

The almost-sex-in-the-library was overdone with the stupidly done "his hand touched her ass oops" thing. Their relationship was entirely about sex, and there was nothing of trust. Sara went through his things. Neal used her for a con against Diana. Sara went along with all his cons until she needed to be The Righteous One.

From the get-go, Sara was constructed in a way that completely sexualized her; the flashy, low-cut clothes, the incessant, horrible flirty banter, the entrance into the FBI office in pjs (with accompanying shot from the floor up her legs to show how awesome they are), to the actual sex itself.

Mozzie comments on her beauty; Neal comments on how "that shade of blue does nothing to bring out the subtle glint(hin?) of hazel in your eyes" (a line that is forever horrific in my eyes, and makes me embarrassed for the show). Also, this is as bad as the characters talking about Raquel LaRoque (OMG, worst name ever) being "spicy". -facepalm- Way to over-state things, everyone. I did not need it to be repeated in order to see it.

The relationship, if you can call it that, was not even constructed by Sara and Neal; it was presumed by other characters. Peter teased him about his new girlfriend, Elizabeth suggested that cat-and-mouse games lead to sparks. Diana suggest Neal is Sara's boyfriend. They hadn't even had lunch yet! They hadn't been on a date! In fact, until "Veiled Threat", Neal and Sara had not gone on a date -- a fact that Neal had to be reminded of. Their time together was spent in lunch and having sex. I suppose that could make a relationship, but it doesn't seem very deep.

And yet somehow I'm supposed to believe that after a few episodes, with very little character interaction that does not involve having sex, that Neal (who, btw, never told Kate, his "One" where his stash was) was going to offer up the treasure and a life in paradise with Sara? Really?

I don't want to be whapped over the head with how awesome a character is. I don't need characters telling me what to expect. I don't need horribly done scenes of people pretending to be married to show me what a cute couple they would make. Subtle, careful peeling back of layers makes characters accessible, and interesting. We don't need to be told by others that Peter and El make a great couple. We see it. We don't need to be told Diana is a bad ass.

On that note, I'd like to say that if the writers aren't careful, Mozzie is going to get out of hand, and not in a good way. I like his quirkiness but it's becoming too silly and nonsensical. There's a strong story for how he may have ended up that way, but please not to be making Mozzie's quirks just dumb so we can has lols, plz.

Ahem...as you can see, it's not just Sara I have issues with. I will agree that Alex is sadly underdeveloped, I don't think she is the worst out of the bunch. You may throw rotten tomatoes at me now, if you wish. ;-)

I will respond to other Alex posts later. ^^

Edited by Surreal44, 16 September 2011 - 12:08 AM.

#20 Surreal44

Surreal44

Trouble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

I should add that the above post is based entirely on opinion and not on Super Solid Facts from Deep Thinking Minds. I already know I'm weird, so if my opinions do not mesh with the majority on what's good character creation and such, that's cool.

I am not trying to convince anyone, nor do I expect any Sara fans to have a change of heart. I don't expect anyone to like Alex more because of my post. I'm in pain and bored, so I wrote an unnecessarily long post to entertain myself.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved