Show cancellation

52 replies to this topic

#1 krumdriller

krumdriller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

I read where the show will be cancelled after 4-5 episodes next year while Suits is being renewed. This is a big mistake. This is one of the few USA shows I watch and if it is cancelled, then I guess I will be not watching USA Network.

#2 exoticanimal

exoticanimal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:18 PM

Upset about the show being cancelled?
sign this petition and pass it on!
http://www.petitiono...s/petition.html

#3 JoanS529

JoanS529

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

I read where the show will be cancelled after 4-5 episodes next year while Suits is being renewed. This is a big mistake. This is one of the few USA shows I watch and if it is cancelled, then I guess I will be not watching USA Network.

They are cancelling with only 8 episodes being shown.

#4 MrsMann

MrsMann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:56 AM

Here are some articles discussing the moronic decision to cancel the show. :angry:

http://www.imdb.com/...news#ni14002798

In Plain Sight Renewed for Final Season

USA Network has granted In Plain Sight a final eight episode pick-up, which will air Spring 2012 and constitute the final season of the popular show.

In Plain Sight's fourth season ended Sunday August 7th, on a positive note with this season's finale rising 6% over last year's finale. The season average for the series brought 4.9 million viewers and double-digit gains in major demos.

Mary McCormack stars as U.S. marshal Mary Shannon, assigned to the Albuquerque Wit-Sec (witness protection) program. She works with her partner, marshal Marshall Mann (he's a Marshal and his name is Marshall) to keep federal witnesses safe and well-hidden all the while trying to deal with her own dysfunctional family which, mirroring Mary McCormack's own pregnancy has been barreling along with an unwed mother story-line for Mary Shannon.

Regulars Fred Weller (Marshall Mann), Paul Ben-Victor (Stan McQueen) and Rachel Boston (Mann's girlfriend Detective Abigail Chaffee) are all also coming back for the final run.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.upcoming-...s-final-season/

USA Renews IN PLAIN SIGHT For Its Final Season!
08/12/2011 by Steve Ramos Source: Variety

First, the good news: USA Network renewed the witness protection drama In Plain Sight for a fifth season. Now, with regards to the show's loyal fans, the bad news: USA announced that the fifth season would also be the final season for the popular show starring Mary McCormack as U.S. Marshall Mary Shannon and Frederick Weller as her partner Marshall Mann.

Variety reported that the final eight-episode run of In Plain Sight would air in spring 2012.

"We've built a contract with the audience and want to gve them a sense of closure,” USA Nework co-president Jeff Wachtel said.

USA also ordered a second season from its new series Suits, starring Patrick J. Adams, as a college dropout who ends up working for New York attorney Harvey Specter (Gabriel Macht).

USA planned to heavily promote the final season of In Plain Sight following a marketing formula they used to great success with the final season of Monk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.tvfanatic...after-season-5/

In Plain Sight to Conclude After Season 5
August 11th, 2011 9:20 PM by TV Fanatic Staff

Talk about your good news/bad news scenario:

USA Network has both renewed and canceled In Plain Sight simultaneously: the show has been picked up for a fifth season, and then call it quits.

“We’ve built a contract with the audience and want to give them a sense of closure,” USA Network Co-President Jeff Wachtel told Variety, the first outlet to report the news.

#5 SAVEINPLAINSIGHT

SAVEINPLAINSIGHT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:37 AM

The show was suppose to have two more full seasons. USA deciding to cut this short to one more season of only eight episodes is bad form. This will not help their relationship with viewers or encourage viewers to want to try any other shows on their network. I for one have decided if they truly stick to only eight more episodes and do not extend, that I am no longer going to watch anything on USA network. I did this with other networks and have never changed my choice.

You have a show that has steady loyal viewers and has not dipped in ratings! Why would you ruin this for your viewers. Just because you have new shows to add to your network does not mean you should sacrifice existing well written shows.

Let's say we started watching one of your other shows and get sucked in, what is to say you wont pull this on us all over again. This is a poor way to run your network, especially considering all the other networks viewers can easily go to.

#6 JoanS529

JoanS529

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

The show was suppose to have two more full seasons. USA deciding to cut this short to one more season of only eight episodes is bad form. This will not help their relationship with viewers or encourage viewers to want to try any other shows on their network. I for one have decided if they truly stick to only eight more episodes and do not extend, that I am no longer going to watch anything on USA network. I did this with other networks and have never changed my choice.

You have a show that has steady loyal viewers and has not dipped in ratings! Why would you ruin this for your viewers. Just because you have new shows to add to your network does not mean you should sacrifice existing well written shows.

Let's say we started watching one of your other shows and get sucked in, what is to say you wont pull this on us all over again. This is a poor way to run your network, especially considering all the other networks viewers can easily go to.

Itis supposedly their lowest rated show. Their number did dip though in Season 3 but that was because they seperated Mary and Marshall instead of having them work as partners which is what drew most people to the show. The numbers improved this year but apparently they're not going to give them the full chance they deserve. They didn't promote nearly as much as they have their other shows. While I agree I would like to see the show continue a part of me thinks it would be better for them to do it on another station and not NBC.

#7 STUMPTOWNLOCIFAN

STUMPTOWNLOCIFAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:08 PM

While USA has had its moments of excellence with series such as Monk and In Plain Sight, and to a lesser extent with White Collar and Burn Notice, it seems this network is starting to serve up more series that require less thought process. No offense intended toward the fans of the other shows being run on USA, series such as Psych and Royal Pains just don't have the same depth, and yet they are heavily promoted by USA. I believe that this network is catering to the demographic that enjoys its programs served "light," and ignoring the demo that likes more meat on its plate.

#8 MrsMann

MrsMann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:53 AM

While USA has had its moments of excellence with series such as Monk and In Plain Sight, and to a lesser extent with White Collar and Burn Notice, it seems this network is starting to serve up more series that require less thought process. No offense intended toward the fans of the other shows being run on USA, series such as Psych and Royal Pains just don't have the same depth, and yet they are heavily promoted by USA. I believe that this network is catering to the demographic that enjoys its programs served "light," and ignoring the demo that likes more meat on its plate.

I agree! I tried to watch Royal Pains, but got so bored with the obvious plots and stories...IPS has had so many intricate and quirky stories and characters. Psych may have one or two laughs, but that's only one or two in a whole hour...IPS keeps me chuckling throughout. I think I managed to get through one episode of Suits and then dumped it...I'd rather watch a GOOD lawyer show with The Good Wife on CBS. I no longer watch White Collar or Burn Notice because the characters are just "meh" to me...they don't make me care about them like Mary and Marshall and Stan do. I'm not going to even waste a minute of my time with the new one, Necessary Roughness...it looks just awful! IPS reminds me a bit of NCIS...quirky characters with fascinating interactions along with interesting stories...maybe CBS would pick it up? I'd watch it there!

#9 STUMPTOWNLOCIFAN

STUMPTOWNLOCIFAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:02 AM

Here's a thought-have AMC pick up IPS, which would lend itself an unusual opportunity to do a crossover with Breaking Bad. Since both series are set and filmed on location in Alberquerque anyway, production costs wouldn't increase. Plus, you'd have a stellar cast of both good guys and villians, not to mention Vince Gillian's twisted vision of morality vs. survival. I sincerly doubt this would ever come into fruition, but it's fun to think what a mashup of these series would turn out.

#10 JoanS529

JoanS529

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

Here's a thought-have AMC pick up IPS, which would lend itself an unusual opportunity to do a crossover with Breaking Bad. Since both series are set and filmed on location in Alberquerque anyway, production costs wouldn't increase. Plus, you'd have a stellar cast of both good guys and villians, not to mention Vince Gillian's twisted vision of morality vs. survival. I sincerly doubt this would ever come into fruition, but it's fun to think what a mashup of these series would turn out.

I sent a note to TNT to see if they'd consider picking it up. It would fit in well with their schedule and they are all about drama shows. Figured it couldn't hurt. I don't watch anything on AMC so not sure what they have for series.

#11 NCIS0SVU0IPS

NCIS0SVU0IPS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

One of the best USA originals. why cancel??? I heard that season 4 pulled in almost 5 million views. UM HELLO THATS A LOT!!!! OBVIOUSLY PEOPLE LOVE THAT SHOW OR NO ONE WOULD BE WATCHING!!!! I signed the petition!!! Go sign it please and thank you if you agree the show shouldnt be canceled!!! why do all the good shows get canceled and the pointless ones get to stay???

#12 hsprotz

hsprotz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

I was really disappointed to learn that season 5 will be the last...but at least USA has the decency to give us closure. I'll sign the petition, even send some letters and e-mails, but historically, fan campaigns rarely succeed. At most, the best we should/could hope for would be a normal season of at least 12 or 13 episodes.

Also, I know everyone is stating ratings are the reason the show is being pulled (I don't know if that's true) but it's also possible the actors are just done. They might want to move on to other projects, focus on their families, whatever. This show has had a good run and I will be terribly sad to see it go, but five seasons is average for this type of show. Plus, season 4 wasn't the best. I know they wrote the baby storyline because Mary McCormack was pregnant IRL, but between that and the whole Marshall/Abby thing, I wasn't as impressed by this season as I was by seasons 1-3...

#13 sammyjulia888

sammyjulia888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:53 AM

This is one of the top shows on Television. Apparently there will be 8 more episodes. How did this show fail? Writing is great, terrific acting,
interesting story lines...good directing. I wouldn't complain about SUITS, it's a whole lot better then the bland ROYAL PAINS,

BURN NOTICE keeps on chugging, but it's writing isn't up to IN PLAIN SIGHT - but i gather it's still going to be on the air.

Not many terrific shows on TV. TNT only has THE CLOSER, and that show's going away. Rizzoli and Isles is badly written, and Angie Harmon
a good actress, needs a hair cut... Leverage is so old...and they keep their junk on the air

Shows come and go... Happily NBC kept the great CHUCK on the air even though it's ratings were probably lower than IN PLAIN SIGHT.

Sammy

#14 JoanS529

JoanS529

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:48 AM

This is one of the top shows on Television. Apparently there will be 8 more episodes. How did this show fail? Writing is great, terrific acting,
interesting story lines...good directing. I wouldn't complain about SUITS, it's a whole lot better then the bland ROYAL PAINS,

BURN NOTICE keeps on chugging, but it's writing isn't up to IN PLAIN SIGHT - but i gather it's still going to be on the air.

Not many terrific shows on TV. TNT only has THE CLOSER, and that show's going away. Rizzoli and Isles is badly written, and Angie Harmon
a good actress, needs a hair cut... Leverage is so old...and they keep their junk on the air

Shows come and go... Happily NBC kept the great CHUCK on the air even though it's ratings were probably lower than IN PLAIN SIGHT.

Sammy

Chuck is being cancelled after this season. I noticed that Breaking Bad was also ending up it's series. I'm wondering if they jacked up the studio cost and that had something to do with the decision. I would have cancelled Fairly Legal and Royal Pains before IPS. The reason I was told that IPS is being cancelled is due to it's low ratings. It;s rating went up this season but a lot of people were unhappy with the pregnancy storyline and they were still trying to recover from the S3 fiasco they made of the show. Apparently the ratings increase weren't enough for them.

#15 MrsMann

MrsMann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

Chuck is being cancelled after this season. I noticed that Breaking Bad was also ending up it's series. I'm wondering if they jacked up the studio cost and that had something to do with the decision. I would have cancelled Fairly Legal and Royal Pains before IPS. The reason I was told that IPS is being cancelled is due to it's low ratings. It;s rating went up this season but a lot of people were unhappy with the pregnancy storyline and they were still trying to recover from the S3 fiasco they made of the show. Apparently the ratings increase weren't enough for them.

The painful thing is that next season, they could get back to season 1 & 2 caliber stuff with Mary no longer pregnant and all the character shedding from season 3 gone. I think the Mary & Marshall stuff in Season 4 was excellent and THAT is 90% of why I watch the show. Yes, I like a good witness story and some of the great witness characters they've had (Horst Vanderhoff/Lola from Trojan Horst and Ronnie from the 2 season 4 eps), but it's M&M that keep me coming back for more. The actors have incredible chemistry together, something you don't get very often, and the writing is terrific. I still wistfully watch season 1 & 2 over and over...they could have that again if they'd give the show a fighting chance. It's almost like they're setting it up to fail.

Edited by MrsMann, 16 August 2011 - 03:52 PM.

#16 JoanS529

JoanS529

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

The painful thing is that next season, they could get back to season 1 & 2 caliber stuff with Mary no longer pregnant and all the character shedding from season 3 gone. I think the Mary & Marshall stuff in Season 4 was excellent and THAT is 90% of why I watch the show. Yes, I like a good witness story and some of the great witness characters they've had (Horst Vanderhoff/Lola from Trojan Horst and Ronnie from the 2 season 4 eps), but it's M&M that keep me coming back for more. The actors have incredible chemistry together, something you don't get very often, and the writing is terrific. I still wistfully watch season 1 & 2 over and over...they could have that again if they'd give the show a fighting chance. It's almost like they're setting it up to fail.

They dind't advertise it as much as the other shows either. It became the wayward stepchild. I sent a little note to TNT that they should look at picking it up. It would fit well with their series and it is a drama show. I have to agree that this season was a vast improvement over S3. I likes seeing the tougher side of Marshall and Stan's character developed so much. I honestly can say I enjoy the less focus on the family side and more on the marshal part. I love watching Mary and Marshall interact together also. It's what makes the show what it is. I freely admit that I gripe over the lack of development in Mary's character, but that could have changed if they gave the show a chance. I thins 8 eps is pathetic and not very fair to the viewers but better than nothing.

#17 Kelticmoonstar

Kelticmoonstar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:47 PM

I agree! I tried to watch Royal Pains, but got so bored with the obvious plots and stories...IPS has had so many intricate and quirky stories and characters. Psych may have one or two laughs, but that's only one or two in a whole hour...IPS keeps me chuckling throughout. I think I managed to get through one episode of Suits and then dumped it...I'd rather watch a GOOD lawyer show with The Good Wife on CBS. I no longer watch White Collar or Burn Notice because the characters are just "meh" to me...they don't make me care about them like Mary and Marshall and Stan do. I'm not going to even waste a minute of my time with the new one, Necessary Roughness...it looks just awful! IPS reminds me a bit of NCIS...quirky characters with fascinating interactions along with interesting stories...maybe CBS would pick it up? I'd watch it there!

I have to agree! Why shoot yourself in the foot and get rid of a GREAT show? I used to watch Burn Notice and it is really BAD this season! I can't follow it! But they will cancel IPS and leave BN or Psych on! What about the really REALLY bad show of Suits? I swear that the executives of USA must be smoking crack! I wish that CBS would pick it up! That would ROCK! Imagine NCIS, NCIS LA, IPS! That would be a reason to say home and watch TV!!!!

Maybe USA Network will wake up and pull their heads out of their butts! Better to say "Ooppss! We were wrong!" and renew it than stand to lose so many people who watch your network.

#18 ciaddict

ciaddict

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,839 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

This makes me so sad. I lost Law and Order Criminal Intent, and now this one. There is less and less reason for me to watch USA. I still like Psych, but only watch it if I remember. My daughter adores Burn Notice and I watch it occasionally, but I haven't followed it from the beginning so it hasn't become a "must see" show for me.

Sad, sad, sad.....
Posted Image

WELCOME HOME, BOBBY AND ALEX!!!

#19 STUMPTOWNLOCIFAN

STUMPTOWNLOCIFAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

This makes me so sad. I lost Law and Order Criminal Intent, and now this one. There is less and less reason for me to watch USA. I still like Psych, but only watch it if I remember. My daughter adores Burn Notice and I watch it occasionally, but I haven't followed it from the beginning so it hasn't become a "must see" show for me.

Sad, sad, sad.....

I concur with my fellow LOCI fan that USA has replaced some quality series with "filler fluff" such as Fairly Legal and Royal Pains. It is unfortunate that the Sunday time slot allocated to IPS is parallel to AMC heavy Breaking Bad and A&E's The Glades, two other series that are well worth watching.

#20 JoanS529

JoanS529

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:23 PM

I concur with my fellow LOCI fan that USA has replaced some quality series with "filler fluff" such as Fairly Legal and Royal Pains. It is unfortunate that the Sunday time slot allocated to IPS is parallel to AMC heavy Breaking Bad and A&E's The Glades, two other series that are well worth watching.

Breaking Bad is also ending next season. I had read somewhere that New Mexico is no longer giving some of the tax breaks to the film industry. I'm wondering if that played a bigger part in the fact that the only two tv series that were being filmed there both have announced this as their last season. It seems odd they both pull out at the same time and shortly after the new rules in New Mexico went into effect. I figured to even try and get another network to look at it. I sent an email to TNT just to suggest it. Figured it couldn't hurt. I think once White Collar and Covert Affairs are through I'll be done with USA. I haven't cared for most of the new programming that has come out and after cancelling IPS I don't want to get invested in another just to have it cancelled. I'll stick with CBS my shows stay on.

Reply to this topic

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved