Product Placement

2 replies to this topic

#1 MarilynP

MarilynP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

I know product placement is how a show pays its production bills. I get it and when it's done tastefully and relatively unobtrusively, I don't mind it. This show has a lot of locations and that costs dough. I get it.

In last night's episode however, there was a conflict of interest in the advertorial department. Did anyone else catch this?

There was a line about "Think Tylenol, not Toyota." in referencing how a company deals with a product/PR crisis. It was a direct dis to the Toyota recall debacle. Then in the 2nd half of the show, there's a Toyota product placement with several gleaming shots of the new hybrid Camry. Mary even says at one point, "Use the Nav." (The navigation system)which was followed by a 2 second demo of one of the features of the onboard navigation system.

Was this intentional? Does Toyota really have that much of a sense of humor? Could this possibly have been an oversight? I can't imagine a Toyota exec spending all that dough to be featured on the show and being okay with that line.

Usually when art and commerce mix, the commerce begins to control the art. Are these writers asserting their creative control by not taking out the dialogue? (It was a good line.)Just curious.

Edited by MarilynP, 25 July 2011 - 09:54 AM.

#2 Bittersweet418

Bittersweet418

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:23 PM

Ive noticed the Toyota thing this season too. This episode was particularly strong with the "navigation" stuff- but I can dismiss it because it helps sponsor the show and pay the shows bills! I just shrug it off because if they are getting that much sponsorship with Toyota- it's a good source of income for the program and the network.

#3 JinInAuburn

JinInAuburn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:19 PM

Did you notice that her car changed from an older Ford Probe to an older Toyota Celica also.

Reply to this topic

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved