• Please log in to reply
524 replies to this topic

#281 Fun100

Fun100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:18 AM

I think Suits is the best show on TV at the moment and the use of profanity, apart from the fact I didn't even notice when people first started talking about it, makes it all the better. It's a part of life, as is the sex and drugs. It doesn't bother me if they take out the GD's (if that offends people so badly) but not lose the use of profanities. The life lessons are in every episode and it's all about being a good person, standing by your friends and helping people who need it. THAT'S what this show is all about - and that's why I've no problem with my kids watching it. I hope they can keep up the awesome writing and acting and go for gold!!!

Edited by Fun100, 05 September 2011 - 03:18 AM.

#282 forthebestinlife

forthebestinlife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:39 AM

I find it funny that nearly every complainer is a newly registered screen name. Most likely the same person creating multiple accounts to get their jesus loving opinion seen b as many people as possible. Your religious beliefs are YOURS, don't try to impose them on others. That is precisely why religion is such a hot topic for argument. Entertainment is in fact, entertainment (deep i know), let it be entertainment and not our soap box for god in america.

Interesting you make the comment the new screen names are one person with a mission to take over this blog. Maybe you could consider it is people that are finaly waking up to the entertainment world agenda to strip all the decency out of America? Why is it that there is so much political correctness in the work place that we all have to attend classes so we don’t offend any race, sexuality, religion or political beliefs and yet USA will flaunt the use of foul language that would not be allowed in the actual work place.

I think Suits is a great show and love to watch it however the use of God Damn (funny how it is use in the show but rarely posted on this blog) of Jesus does not make the show better…then why use it.

#283 Espionage

Espionage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:58 AM

so funny how delusional people are to think that suits changed anything based on their whining about the language lol! the finale was great tho cant wait for s2
Posted Image

#284 PhilDiffy

PhilDiffy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:41 PM

Interesting you make the comment the new screen names are one person with a mission to take over this blog. Maybe you could consider it is people that are finaly waking up to the entertainment world agenda to strip all the decency out of America? Why is it that there is so much political correctness in the work place that we all have to attend classes so we don’t offend any race, sexuality, religion or political beliefs and yet USA will flaunt the use of foul language that would not be allowed in the actual work place.

I think Suits is a great show and love to watch it however the use of God Damn (funny how it is use in the show but rarely posted on this blog) of Jesus does not make the show better…then why use it.

Because you'd be taken more seriously in avid discussion, like people who post alot on here. You're lucky most of the prominent discussions of Suits take place on other forums like TWOP. You'd get your asshole torn apart for trolling. Posting once and then leaving and never coming back.

If you're going to make a point, come here, and discuss it with people. Don't just make accounts and run away. Anyone can do that in cyberspace...it doesn't prove anything. I could come on here and make an account for Bruce Wayne, post here, and then come back as the Joker and make more accounts. And spam, spam, spam.

It's called Vidalia. You can easily spam IP Addresses. It's not hard...

So if you have a problem with anything in this show, make a valid discussion.

Personally, I have more issues with this character development of the show than anything else.
Posted Image
Psychfic:SillyPantsJackson
Banner made by the amazing Kirei!

#285 Thursdays

Thursdays

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

Almost made it to the end of the season without using g**d*** but on the season finale we got a two-fer. Had a nice break for a couple of episodes so I was hopeful that viewer comments were having an impact. Silly me. Love the show, hate the profanity. It's off my viewing schedule for next summer. Wish more people would take a stand or it will continue.

#286 fist

fist

Say Major General!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

I don't see how people think there is so much language in this show... it's not nearly as bad as some others I've seen. I don't think it's bad at all.

#287 travisburgett

travisburgett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:41 PM

i have read through most of this forum because my wife and i (both believers in Christ) were discussing the use of GD in the program. some people have accused the noobs of being the same person so i chose to use my real name. that aside, i LOVE this show and almost everything about it. yes the use of GD is the straw that may break the camels back. i watched this show for an entire season and every time i heard GD i was insulted, but i tried to look past that as we are in a time in TV when certain profanity is becoming more accepted by our society. and we as citizens have the right to turn the channel if we disagree with what is on our tv's, as we have the right to voice our opinions on sites like these. i hope to accomplish by writing this is that USA execs will read these forums and see that this show is a very popular show and if they dont change some of the language that they will lose a portion (large or small is yet to be seen) of their viewing audience. i will watch the first episode of the second series and if i hear GD in that episode i will quit watching one of the best shows on tv. i hope the writers and execs read these for the sake of a very interesting show.

#288 fist

fist

Say Major General!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

i have read through most of this forum because my wife and i (both believers in Christ) were discussing the use of GD in the program. some people have accused the noobs of being the same person so i chose to use my real name. that aside, i LOVE this show and almost everything about it. yes the use of GD is the straw that may break the camels back. i watched this show for an entire season and every time i heard GD i was insulted, but i tried to look past that as we are in a time in TV when certain profanity is becoming more accepted by our society. and we as citizens have the right to turn the channel if we disagree with what is on our tv's, as we have the right to voice our opinions on sites like these. i hope to accomplish by writing this is that USA execs will read these forums and see that this show is a very popular show and if they dont change some of the language that they will lose a portion (large or small is yet to be seen) of their viewing audience. i will watch the first episode of the second series and if i hear GD in that episode i will quit watching one of the best shows on tv. i hope the writers and execs read these for the sake of a very interesting show.

I respect and share your views on GD but if you're going to stop watching this show for the language then you might as well not watch any show on TV. All shows have swearing in it, and I don't like that either but that's how it is.

#289 PhilDiffy

PhilDiffy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:40 PM

Almost made it to the end of the season without using g**d*** but on the season finale we got a two-fer. Had a nice break for a couple of episodes so I was hopeful that viewer comments were having an impact. Silly me. Love the show, hate the profanity. It's off my viewing schedule for next summer. Wish more people would take a stand or it will continue.

Cry moar. QQ. I like how you don't even have any positive comments on the show for this forum in between your language-rant binging.
Posted Image
Psychfic:SillyPantsJackson
Banner made by the amazing Kirei!

#290 Byrd908

Byrd908

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

Just Get over it. The show is realistic. People swear in reality and sex happens. Even at work. Get with the times and stop complaining. The network doesn't need to conform to your religious standards if they dont want to. Yea maybe they lose your support but they may be gaining the support of younger people and people who like realistic shows. It's the 21st century. Society changes. Btw, USA network isn't really a family network. Its for mature audiences who can understand the concepts of the shows. (medicine, law, crime, etc). If you want to overprotect your children, then change the GODDAMN channel.

I was always taught that it was best to avoid offending others, whether for religious reasons or for ANY other reason. Obviously a lot of people--including me--are strongly offended by hearing God's name in-vain on "Suits" (and on this show, that includes the gratuitous use of God's name with the word "damn" as well as the name "Jesus"), and it's just not needed on this or any other television show. The stories in "Suits" are pretty interesting, but they would do just fine (and actually be MUCH better) without purposely trying to offend a large part of their customers (i.e., the networks' viewers). Interestingly, several shows on the USA Network seem to "go after" those with Judeo-Christian beliefs, but I notice they don't use language that would offend Muslims or those of other faiths.

You state that this show is realistic, regarding the language. I don't think you are right on that, for two reasons:

First, not only would a really upscale law firm NOT want to risk offending any of their clients (and they wouldn't necessarily know if their clients had religious beliefs or not), but also it's just not professional, as several folks have written in this discussion.

The second reason I especially don't think this show represents "reality" as you claim it does is that people who use God's name in-vain I find also use the word "f*ck" constantly--CONSTANTLY--as well. NEVER heard that word on the show this summer even once. (Likewise for the related "mother f*cker.") How about "fa*got"? Surely some of the young, competitive lawyers in this firm call each other that. (And what about, in a related vein, saying that someone or something is "so gay.") "R*tard"? I can't believe that some of those kids who obviously hate Mike don't call him that behind his back (but on-camera please, so we viewers can hear their "realistic" language). There are several ways one can speak negatively about Jewish people specificially. Shouldn't that be in the mix here? And finally, in a setting where peoples' language is supposed to be so "realistic," wouldn't some young legal associate in this firm, after the umpteenth time having his or her personal plans ruined because Jessica, the main lawyer in the whole firm (the elegant black woman, except when she says "GD"), refer to her using the "N" word? Of course, the young lawyer would have to do so under his or her breath, since they might not risk saying that "publicly," but the camera could certainly still catch that "realistic" language for us viewers at home, right? Now THAT would be so much more "realistic"!

So if the USA network--intended for "mature" audiences, as you say--REALLY wants to get with the times," as you say, and be "realistic," as you say, then why are they only offending those with certain religious beliefs? Since as you say, "people swear in reality," and you feel that the posters on this discussion board should "get with the times and stop complaining," I'm sure you'll be okay with Harvey referring to those he disdains as "GD f*cking r*tards," or perhaps simply calling them "fa*gots." And when will someone say of Louis--who loves cultural events--that he is "so gay"? And please have someone call Jessica a "GD 'N'." That could create a wonderful opportunity for "realism" to be shown on "Suits," creating an interesting confrontation for the firm. Now THAT would be a story!

Make the language on "Suits" TRULY realistic, and there will be more discussion threads on here dealing with offensive language, other than just about using God's name in-vain, I can assure you. But hey, it's reality, right, so get over it?

Yeah, if you want the show to truly be realistic, then the network shouldn't leave out so much of the crude language used in the real world these days. They have censored out only SOME of the over-the-top foul language used out there, but not all.

#291 Ethical

Ethical

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

We will not watch Suit's until you clean up their language and not take the Lord's name in vain. In the very first episode, within a couple of minutes, we were offended. You can get your point across without saying the Lord's name in vain!!!!!!

#292 HybridC

HybridC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

Uhm really? Who is the "WE" you're speaking of?

#293 fist

fist

Say Major General!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

Ditto to Hybrid. I don't think there's more language in this than any other show. And also, there's a thread pinned to the top about language. Go there instead of cluttering up the forums.

#294 krigat1

krigat1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

Hi, I'm afraid I qualify as one of the new people who signed up just to discuss this topic and probably won't contribute much more after this. Please forgive me for my poor forum etiquete... I'm not too familiar with how all of this works; this is my first time to comment on something like this. I just purchased Season 1 after reading rave reviews about it and was very excited to watch it. Monk and White Collar are two of my favorites and I was hoping this would have the similar clever and sometimes humorous moments of those shows. Like several others, I found it necessary to turn the show off less than 10 minutes into the first episode due to the cursing... specifically the use of the term G-D. I do not expect writers to change the show because I am offended by a specific curse; I will certainly take the responsibility to walk away if I am offended rather than putting it on someone else to change for my sake. Because it does look like such an interesting show, however, I do not want to miss out if this expression is only used in the first episode or two and then not again throughout the season. Can someone please tell me if the G-D curse is used throughout the season? Thank you for your input!

#295 jrcox2

jrcox2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:00 AM

I realize this is supposed to be a Fan-page, etc,, etc. but I just turned on In Plain Sight tonight because I missed the beginning of the last show so I thought I would just catch the first 10 minutes of the show that I missed. I was insulted and turned it off and felt really dirty and mad enough to write this to someone! I came downstairs to my computer and found your site and really had no idea that most of the shows that I watch are on USA. Wow! I watch In Plain Sight sometimes, House, Psyche, Covert Affairs, Royal Pains, try never to miss Burn Notice, thought Unnecessary Roughness was pretty good last year and really enjoyed Suits last season except for ONE THING.....and it's the same reason I turned off In Plain Sight and came down here to write this. I'm not a big FAN of any of the shows so I don't know his name but the stars partner just caught the bigamist at his second wife's house and asked the question "What do you think this is G..D...n (taking the LORD"S name in vain) France" or something to that effect and I just had to get this off of my chest.
Now I know that half of you are rolling your eyes because I am a prude and the other half of you are probably calling me everything that you can think of from a religious nut to an stupid "Bitter Clinger" to a homophobic moron to whatever you can think of..........yeah I know.......... I get it. Just to let you know I am a Christian and I am willing to admit that to anyone, anywhere and anytime. You also must know I was a teenager in the 70s and thought it was really cool that Alice Cooper used the F word and the end of one of his songs....................and got away with it.
My point here is that I watch a majority of these shows with my kids AND there is a whole lot of stuff that goes right over their heads and that's OK and I guess the way it should be. I remember my parents watching Saturday morning cartoons and movies with me and laughing and having just as much fun as I was having back in the 50s and 60s, yes I am 55 right now, and I thought they were laughing at the same things I was and maybe they were but there is more to the story.
Having kids of my own I wanted them to enjoy classic cartons, Disney and other kids movies that I watched growing up and have the fun I had while watching them. However, watching them as an adult I found that there was a whole bunch of jokes, innuendos and stuff between the lines that I missed as a kid, that was written just for the adults, that went straight over my head at the time. I guess it was to help the adults to suffer through watching kids movies and not be totally bored like I am now with a lot of the current kids shows. Have you watched some of the kids shows? Most of these kids are so stupid and/or dumb they need to go back to first grade and START OVER. I chalk the good old cartoons and movies up to clever and very ingenious writers. However,...................I digress.
I get WHY you do it. For titillation and ratings and THE MONEY. There was no other reason to show Fairly Legals underwear clad butt in the first season but for those three reasons. It added nothing to the story and it would not have been missed if it wasn't shown and we didn't need to see it to make the show a hit.. She is a very nice looking and talented actress but it's the characters and the writing that makes the shows. Having said all of that it was a nice tail shot. (See I told you I wasn't a prude...really!)
SUITS, the real reason that I am writing the long winded dissertation is because I really like to watch this show but I can't anymore. Well, to be more accurate I won't watch it anymore. I believe the premise is very ingenious about building someone's career around one little bitty lie and watch to see how close everyone can get to the guardrail of the cliff before everyone goes off of the edge. I know a couple of people like that in real life.
I think that it was in the very first show though that the female partner got in the main lawyers face, towards the end of the show, and said G..D..n this or that and it didn't even make any sense the way she said it.. It wasn't good English and in all of my years working in warehouses and in outside sales and drinking in bars I NEVER heard anyone talk like that or string those words together like that.
Okay, Okay it was the first show so maybe they stuck that in there to boost the rating or for shock value.. We will wait and see what happens next week. I waited and waited and EVERY SHOW had G..D..n in it. I cringed every time someone used it and every time it would have been just as meaningful or just as passionate to use hell or damn or call someone an a...hole or a jackass or something. THEN, finally toward the end of the season, a whole show that no one said G..D..n this or that.....and it was awesome! I got up from watching that episode and couldn't wait to see next weeks show. The next week you guys used it twice as if to say "sorry we forgot to write it in last week so we had to make up for it this week." Really?!
Micheal Weston doesn't use it and I don't think I have ever heard it on Royal Pains. Do lawyers talk like this? I am sure they do. I bet that when they do say junk like this it probably makes grammatical sense though. If I get a hammer close enough to my thumb or finger instead of the nail I was swinging at I might use it too. I am not perfect. Is this the new " we can get this by the censors easy" because nobody cares about these words anyways way of thinking? Besides, "everybody knows there ain't no God nohow" right? WELL, I still believe in HIM and I am sure that there are many others that do too that won't take the time to sit down and write.
All I'm saying is I can't use that kind of language on your website as per this statement:
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.
I copied and pasted this from your site and I had to agree to it BEFORE I could even log into this site.
It's a great show and I would really like to keep watching it but we have to draw the line somewhere and this is the line that I have drawn in the sand, as it were. There is way too much sex and violence on TV and I get that you guys are a cable network and for that very reason you can "get away" with a bunch more than shows on the dwindling three can. You can have smart shows on with minimal sex and profanity on and you have proven it with some of your other shows. I just believe that all of these Harvard educated lawyers could probably cuss someone out in Latin and do a much better job than taking The LORD'S Name in vain every week.
By the way have you ever been around some catty rich women when they are slicing someone they detest.....with a smile on their face?
Come on guys..........you can do better!

#296 LuvsGoodTV

LuvsGoodTV

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

It's sad that the current state of affairs allows cursing (and even worse things) on TV these days, but if we keep watching the shows that allow this we will just get more of the same. It is totally up to every individual whether you want to subject yourself to it or not. If I had kids they wouldn't be allowed to watch much, if any, TV. USA has some very good shows that keep the bad elements out for the most part such as White Collar and Royal Pains, but Suits, although well written and a very clever show, does seem to be written with many curse words as I'm guessing the writers feel that would be how lawyers communicate in "real" life. This seems a bit ironic as lawyers, especially smart ones like the lead characters, should be able to converse without stooping to swear words. Hopefully, the writers will tone the profanity down this next season as this is an intesting show and the leads have good chemistry.

#297 sprechenkrieg

sprechenkrieg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Please see post above.

If you have complaints about the language, there is a dedicated thread for your concerns. Click here.

Now, to address your concerns here with my two-cents...

With all due respect, sir/ma'am, I know for a fact they say GD a least once in the beginning of the show, so you must have glossed over those early ones. Probably three-five times total for the first episode - I don't count. And, believe me, saying GD does not boost their ratings. Have you seen all the people complaining about it!?

We live in a society today where that kind of language is very common. Just because you have not heard those words uttered from someone else's mouth does not mean no one else says them. Some people have very peculiar strings of curse words, if I do say so myself, but I don't remember any odd ones from Suits. I understand your concern with the language, and feel free to watch a different show, but the show will not cater to anyone. At least, it shouldn't.

About substituting GD with 'hell' or 'damn', I believe it has something to do with the intensity of the words. As if 'hell' and 'damn' are level 1 words and GD is its own tier. (It definitely seems like that from what you've typed.) You're about to lose a multimillion dollar deal? I don't think 'hell' or 'damn' cuts it.

Using GD does not automatically make one non-Christian, so Harvey (the person who usually says GD) could still be a fair-weather Christian.

The Terms of Service are to protect individuals who use the forums, sir/ma'am. It stops people from calling others a myriad of words (ex: s**t eating, c**ksucking f****ts).

The difference between the forums and TV show are - the TV show has a rating. Suits is TV-14, with L. Language. Coarse language. If you children are under 14, be advised. The forums, on the other hand, have no rating but would generally be PG-13 if I had to place one (since most of the shows are around there). The show isn't intentionally calling anyone out, but on the forums those words typed by us users usually are. Verbal bullying will not be tolerated here.

The last part is a bit random... but, uh, a catty rich woman slicing (as in killing?) someone they detest with a smile on their face - sounds like a clear cut case of a psycho who is murdering someone she despises. I've seen plenty of (real) pictures you'd find disturbing, most of them being Nazis hanging 'undesirables' while smiling lovingly at the camera. It happens.

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
-Winston S. Churchill

#298 Xina777

Xina777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

This show is tons of fun, except for it's brash use of vulgarity. Like many others, i am normally desensitized to foul language, but when it involves my beliefs, it literally shakes my spirit.

I don't know why the USA network tends to be so tolerant of different "Characters", but would turn around and choose to offend me and be intolerant of my desire to respect my religious beliefs about not using God's name in vain.

I don't approve of swearing, but with society as it is, I have heard it - usually on the street. I have friends in construction, the military and in law enforcement where I have noticed foul language has been more liberally used and the truth is they have used profanity in front of me.

Still, I was raised that profanity is barbaric and used primarily by those who are not intelligent enough to use their brains to illicit a specific word describing frustration or identifying an item/object./person.

Surely the writers of a show like this can show us they have a vocabulary worthy of more knowledge for word useage than swearing. Furthermore, as an accountant, I find it is unnecessary and unacceptable in the realm of a professional atmosphere to use any language offense to one's values or beliefs such as breaking one of the ten commandments (using the Lord God's name in vain)

Come on USA - Suits - aren't you smarter than this?

#299 sprechenkrieg

sprechenkrieg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

Still, I was raised that profanity is barbaric and used primarily by those who are not intelligent enough to use their brains to illicit a specific word describing frustration or identifying an item/object./person.

Surely the writers of a show like this can show us they have a vocabulary worthy of more knowledge for word useage than swearing. Furthermore, as an accountant, I find it is unnecessary and unacceptable in the realm of a professional atmosphere to use any language offense to one's values or beliefs such as breaking one of the ten commandments (using the Lord God's name in vain)

Come on USA - Suits - aren't you smarter than this?

Cursing doesn't always denote someone of lower intelligence. I'm quite the verbose person myself, yet I'll still let loose a few 'barbaric' words to express my immediate dislike for something. All the beautiful words I know to express my feelings *are* available to me, but the universal and to-the-point way of expression intense feelings are usually one-liner expressions you would probably scold me for! Using this logic of 'you curse, therefore you are stupid' does not add to any of the arguments you and the others are trying to make.

Just because someone has the ability to use words other than GD, sh*t, f*ck, etc, doesn't mean they will. And it certainly does not detract from their intelligence. Tact, possibly. Some of us are intelligent enough to watch our mouths around certain company.

For instance, I would never say GD, sh*t, f*ck around any of the folks here who are offended. But with friends, all bets are off.

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
-Winston S. Churchill

#300 Xina777

Xina777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Thank you for your response and for avoiding directly attacking me i fear i did not communicate as clearly as i had meant. This often occurs when i choose to speak out of emotions instead of logic alone. I did not intend to suggest that a low IQ was relevant to individuals that use foul language. Your inference was mistaken. My point was merely to suggest and hope that someone with an expansive vocabulary could stimulate their mind to use words less offensive and potentially more politically correct or at least not disrespectful. In this case the use of God's name in vain. I am often asked to be tolerant of the beliefs of others even if I do not share in those beliefs. I respect those requests. Is it not acceptable for me to ask for mutual respect in return? Respect to not use the name of any Deity in a disdainful manner. Surely there are other colloquial explicitives that would be less controversial or even substitute terminology that would make us laugh or think rather than cause pain. I realize it doesn't cause pain for some people but clearly this forum indicates it causes some people pain. My question is why would anyone want to purposeffully impose harm on any one or their beliefs? I know people do, but again why?

Edited by Xina777, 19 May 2012 - 04:54 PM.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved