Advertisement

No Celebrity Endorsement Implied

Photo
- - - - -

why does the lord's name in vain have to be uses?

26 replies to this topic

#1 winjie

winjie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:19 PM

I have enjoyed this show since it's inception but even though the world has taken a different turn/view I cannot accept hearing the Lord's name used in vain and every new episode this season has done this multiple times.
So should you care - you have lost a loyal viewer unless there are future script changes.

#2 MrsMann

MrsMann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:48 PM

OMG...enough already. If you've really loved the show from the start, then how have you "enjoyed" 47 shows when it's been like this since day 1? Please no more new topics on this subject.

Edited by MrsMann, 20 June 2011 - 11:52 PM.

#3 TilleyGirl

TilleyGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

OMG...enough already. If you've really loved the show from the start, then how have you "enjoyed" 47 shows when it's been like this since day 1? Please no more new topics on this subject.

Agreed. Mary is a potty mouth. That's been a given from the start. It's an integral part of her character. She is not politically correct and she swears. It's realistic. There seems to be a lot of complaints about Mary being Mary. Perhaps this is not the show for those folks that are bothered by her personality.

#4 Courser

Courser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

I have enjoyed this show since it's inception but even though the world has taken a different turn/view I cannot accept hearing the Lord's name used in vain and every new episode this season has done this multiple times.
So should you care - you have lost a loyal viewer unless there are future script changes.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but some of us appreciate more 'adult' and realistic programming. Not everything has to be 'family friendly'. It's part of who Mary is and I happen to like her rough edges. It's part of what makes her who she is.

#5 jennywren

jennywren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

When this show started the language was often crude, but when you started using MY GOD'S NAME in the way you have, I have to choose, and believe me, it is NO choice at all! For all you out there who say "what is the big deal"? Read the 10 COMMANDMENTS, not suggustions, 'THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THY LORD'S NAME IN VAIN:" This is serious stuff, folks!!! I really enjoyed the show while I could watch it, but no more! NOW< I really was anticipating the new show "Suits" but, right off the bat, first viewing, more than 3 times in the first half!!! What a great plot, very interesting characters, with so much promise! There is NO reason to use such language! It does not add anything to the plot and turns soooooo many people totally off! In the past, I viewed USA as a family channel, but no longer!! I am very dissappointed in your change in direction! PLEASE CONSIDER MORE FAMILY FRIENDLY LANGUAGE"" I do realize that the time frame it airs in, permits this, but I don't and their are so very many folks you are loosing because of this.

#6 closetfan

closetfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

I actually find it way more offensive when the Lord's name is given to a baby and then that baby grows up and murders someone, or commits any other heinous crime. (as an example, just watch the news and see how many hispanics names Jesus are convicted of something).

I'm Catholic. Nuns for 13 yrs of schooling. I don't have a problem watching or hearing someone else say something like "Jesus! It's hot outside".

By the way, do you say "God bless you" when someone sneezes? Do you actually feel from your heart that you are blessing every single person who sneezes or are you just saying it, like so many others.

#7 MrsMann

MrsMann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:10 PM

First of all, more than Christians/Catholics watch this show...they should not start to pander to specific groups. Second, I know plenty of supposedly "religious" Catholics that take the Lord's name in vein...it's all part of life...part of Mary and I wouldn't want to see her whitewashed for a small minority that might be a little offended.

#8 meows

meows

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

First of all, more than Christians/Catholics watch this show...they should not start to pander to specific groups. Second, I know plenty of supposedly "religious" Catholics that take the Lord's name in vein...it's all part of life...part of Mary and I wouldn't want to see her whitewashed for a small minority that might be a little offended.

Folks. It is a commandment, There are only 10 Commandments. All this retort means nothing, we are here to show the Lord we can follow his 10 commandments, Thou shall not take the Lords name in vain. It's real simple.

#9 MrsMann

MrsMann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:23 AM

Folks. It is a commandment, There are only 10 Commandments. All this retort means nothing, we are here to show the Lord we can follow his 10 commandments, Thou shall not take the Lords name in vain. It's real simple.

No it's not that simple...I'm not religious...I don't follow any formal religion other than being kind and considerate to other people, animals and the earth. Please do not preach religion at me...or at any others who don't believe in the Catholic/Christian religion...they are the only ones with 10 commandments. If you want to follow/believe in that, then that's wonderful for you, but don't make me/others abide by your convictions. I think that's beyond rude to insist that everyone must follow someone's personal religious beliefs.

#10 patsteele1

patsteele1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

Although I am not Catholic, I do believe that using God's name (any god's name) within a curseword is offensive and unintelligent. It is not even necessary. Mary (and some of your other characters) got her bad girl point across fine without resulting to this. It is also being done on at least one of your other shows. You can certainly be "real" without having to do this. There are certainly enough "bad" words being used on the show (and some of your other shows) that can fill the dialogue. It is distasteful and does not encourage me to be sympathetic to the "character." The word "God" is not supposed to be exposed to children in school, so why expose them to it, even negatively, on TV? Yes, Mary has always been crude, but not as disgustingly so until this season. I keep hoping for better and that it does not spread to more of the USA shows that I enjoy.

#11 MrsMann

MrsMann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:02 AM

Jesus! what a stupid topic . . .

:lol: thanks for the laugh!

#12 PhilDiffy

PhilDiffy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:10 AM

A loyal enough viewer where you have one post ever, and you make it this...

get outta town.
Posted Image
Psychfic:SillyPantsJackson
Banner made by the amazing Kirei!

#13 Violetta

Violetta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

I consider myself a religious person but I know that there are many who aren't. As such Mary is one of those people who is not so she swears and curses. It's part of her character. I find it more funny than anything else. There is no sense in being offended. She makes no apologies for who she is. That's how its been since inception. So if you liked the show in the beginning, I'd have to wonder why.

Self flagellate much?

#14 k41150

k41150

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

To: winjie, jennywren, meows, patsteele1

Let me get this straight: you tune in to an adult program, on a cable channel, later in the evening, with warnings and disclaimers as to language, content, etc. and then come on to this site and complain? Wow. I'm confused. What part of the warnings did you not understand? And why, in god's name, do you think that USA should care a whit about your opinion? A few easily offended people are never going to offset the millions who obviously have no problem with this and other shows.

Most of us live in the real world, where life is messy, people swear, have sex, and things aren't always pretty or neat or nice. Either change the channel or come on in and join us.

#15 Nessart2010

Nessart2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

Does anyone know what the commandment actually means? It has nothing with saying "god, god-damn, Jesus, etc." Taking the lord's name in vain is to claim "god" or whoever "told" you to do something or inspired you to do something (controlled your actions) when this is not the case. An example of taking the lord's name in vain: "I've just been moved by the holy spirit to take off all my clothes" when in fact this was your own idea. I don't recall Mary doing that.

#16 MissingAbq718

MissingAbq718

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:02 AM

I have noticed that the "GDs" and "JCs" are blanked out when the episodes rerun in morning/afternoon time slots. We only get to hear them in after-10pm showings, a time when impressionable young ones should be in bed. It's odd, because I cuss and swear quite a bit (a lot of things tick me off on a regular basis) and I cringe when I do lash out with those two phrases, yet they don't bother me when I hear them in a theatrical movie, only on a TV show. Maybe it's because I know not all kids are in bed by 10pm so they can be exposed to the language. But, then again, responsible parents should be paying attention to the rating/warning that pops up at the beginning of the show and at every return from a commercial break. If they are unsure then they should watch a few episodes by themselves before they let their kids watch.

#17 LisaD2009

LisaD2009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:47 PM

Mary needs to stop using the Lord's name in vain. If she were to make derogatory comments using any other religion, race, or sexual preference, the show would be off the air.

#18 LisaD2009

LisaD2009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

Does anyone know what the commandment actually means? It has nothing with saying "god, god-damn, Jesus, etc." Taking the lord's name in vain is to claim "god" or whoever "told" you to do something or inspired you to do something (controlled your actions) when this is not the case. An example of taking the lord's name in vain: "I've just been moved by the holy spirit to take off all my clothes" when in fact this was your own idea. I don't recall Mary doing that.

To the contrary; the Lord's name should be spoken with reverence, not as a passing phrase.
(Philippians 2:10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in Heaven and things on earth and things under the earth.)
There is power in this name!

#19 MrsMann

MrsMann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

Oy...I *so* wish this stupid topic would die. :blink:

#20 firelightandash

firelightandash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:20 PM

Mary needs to stop using the Lord's name in vain. If she were to make derogatory comments using any other religion, race, or sexual preference, the show would be off the air.

What needs to stop is the same person making new accounts every five minutes to protest the show's language. If you don't like it, stop watching. Period.

Reply to this topic

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved