Advertisement

No Celebrity Endorsement Implied

Photo
- - - - -

why does the lord's name in vain have to be uses?

26 replies to this topic

#21 LisaD2009

LisaD2009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

This is my first time. I came across this message board when I started looking for contact information for USA Network. After watching the season finale, I felt like having my voice heard. Why is it that the word sh** is bleeped out? How about the F bomb? And let's not even mention the N word. Why can't people just not watch the shows that use those other words? It is because Jesus is still being crucified even after 2,000 years. There is a reason people fear him and want his name trashed.

What needs to stop is the same person making new accounts every five minutes to protest the show's language. If you don't like it, stop watching. Period.

#22 Silvanne

Silvanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:47 PM

There is power in this name!

Really? Does it produce enough wattage to run my furnace?

Oh, that's not what you meant by "power," is it?

And when Mary uses the word "Jesus," she obviously means something different by it than you do. She's not really referring to the Christian Messiah.

We don't all ascribe to your beliefs and thus we are not bound to follow the rules that you voluntarily live under. You insisting we should is equivalent to us saying you should never say his name AT ALL because it doesn't jive with our beliefs. We're not doing that to you, thus we are within our rights to ask that you kindly return the favor.

Now don't get me wrong. I think Jesus was one heck of a righteous dude, and I agree with 99.925% of what He is recorded to have said in the Bible. But nowhere does HE say not to use his name in the way that Mary does or I do. He had WAY bigger fish to fry--stuff about the meek inheriting the earth, or caring for your fellow man, and all that all-too-often-forgotten wisdom. He wouldn't have trifled with a few people throwing His name around disrespectfully, especially when they intended no harm and DID no actual harm. This is a man who let some pretty big stuff roll off of him (like, say, torture and crucifixion).

Mary's speech mannerisms wouldn't even register to him. Why are you wasting your time on it when there is so much of His work, work He actually directly called you to, to be done in this miserable world?

Edited by Silvanne, 23 August 2011 - 04:04 PM.

#23 Silvanne

Silvanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

It is because Jesus is still being crucified even after 2,000 years. There is a reason people fear him and want his name trashed.

Jesus isn't being trashed. I don't think I've EVER heard anyone say a negative thing about Jesus in my entire life (and I've lived in everything from Christian communes to atheistic subcultures). Not saying it never happens, just saying it's awfully gorram rare.

Can you provide evidence of widespread negativity being directed at Jesus? The Jews like him (they just don't think He was the promised Messiah, just another prophet), the Muslims like him (sorta for the same reasons), most Eastern religions don't mention him, and most atheists and agnostics don't have any trouble with him (they just don't buy the son of God bit). But no one is trashing HIM.

On the other hand, I've heard a lot of people trash a certain kind of Christian. You know why? Because of stuff like this. This intolerance for other people's ways of doing things. This insistance that the rest of the world shape itself solely to a Christian ideology. This loudly broadcasted belief that they are the only ones who know what's right and the rest of us are somehow inferior for not taking their word for it.

What did Jesus have to say about that kind of judgment? "Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."

He was so clear on this idea that he said it multiple times: "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

He even gave an explicit order not to waste your time trying to tell the non-believer how to live her life, and told you what would happen if you did. Go check out Matthew 7:1-6.

You're not doing the Lord's work here. In fact, you're going against the scriptures and the words of the man you saying you're defending.

Edited by Silvanne, 23 August 2011 - 06:46 PM.

#24 BetaArtemis

BetaArtemis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

They are just stupid dumb trolls wanting to stir up the pot, nothing else, you can bet that they themselves have used those words many times in their lives, and I can bet you that almost every religious person have as well, it's a part of life, if you can't deal with it, go kill yourself and stop whining about it.

Not everyone follows "commandments" nor does everyone care about religion, this is a FICTIONAL TV show, and besides, kids hear it more everyday in school and on the street than they do on TV anyways. If you're worried about upsetting people or impressionable young children, then why not keep your kids away from the TV instead of bitching about the TV...you are responsible for your kids, don't blame the TV for your own bad parenting.
Posted Image
"I got my Burn Notice, I popped my White Collar. If you're a USA Boy, SAY HOLLA!"
~~Matt Bomer/Mark Feuerstein/Jeffrey Donovan from Royal Pains Season 2 Rap

#25 WickedGirl

WickedGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

I am so tired of Jesus freaks and religious nut-job Bible thumpers trying to MAKE everyone else follow their personal beliefs. God is just another word, the "commandments" were written by MEN as a way to control people, and if you believe otherwise, I have enough conviction in my own beliefs to allow you your's. How about all of you religious people? Can you say the same? No, you can't...you insist on trying to force the rest of us to believe and think as you do. Well, I can think for myself thanks. Take your complaining to church, where it belongs, and please keep it there. I enjoy Mary's brash ballsiness.

Edited by WickedGirl, 25 March 2012 - 01:17 AM.

#26 Nevnor

Nevnor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'm sorry you feel that way, but some of us appreciate more 'adult' and realistic programming.

'Adult'? What an ignorant argument. I live in the real world where people don't act like a bunch of kids trying to sneak bad words behind their parent's backs because they think it's funny. I work in Construction. One of the roughest places. Even those guys don't act that way because they know it makes you look ignorant.

First of all, more than Christians/Catholics watch this show...they should not start to pander to specific groups. ...part of Mary and I wouldn't want to see her whitewashed for a small minority that might be a little offended.

Small minority? Little offended? Ignorance must be bliss. Guess you haven't seen Obama back track because the Catholics were a 'little offended' at his ObummerCare.

No it's not that simple...I'm not religious...I don't follow any formal religion other than being kind and considerate to other people, animals and the earth.

You haven't been kind and considerate for this post. I believe it's time to stop living a lie and give religion another chance.

Let me get this straight: you tune in to an adult program, on a cable channel, later in the evening, with warnings and disclaimers as to language, content, etc. and then come on to this site and complain? Wow. I'm confused.

Another ignorant argument. So 'adult' and 'cable' automatically mean pathetic language and attitudes?

Oy...I *so* wish this stupid topic would die.

Then stop contributing and make us all very happy.

Why is it that the word sh** is bleeped out? How about the F bomb? And let's not even mention the N word. Why can't people just not watch the shows that use those other words?

Exactly! Our 'small' Christian minority will stop watching this show, decrease their revenue and it will no longer be aired.

What did Jesus have to say about that kind of judgment? "Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."

Glad you posted this. Please follow your own post and stop judging and preaching to us 'Jesus Freaks' that we need to follow your ways and give into 'society'. Even the devil knows of Jesus and his works. Get behind me satan.

If you don't like democracy, voting by what the majority of people want, then leave this country and good riddance.

BTW, only shown as a newbie because I'm usually logged onto NBC. I had to speak when my Lord's name was used in vain. Don't like it? Then go away.

Edited by Nevnor, 26 August 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#27 GeraldG

GeraldG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

Well, first, what does “vain” mean anyway? Here, vain means “useless or lacking substance.” So the commandment is essentially saying not to throw around God’s name lightly. We should never empty God’s name of it’s weight and significance.

Therefore, saying “Oh my God and my Lord Jesus! My leg is on fire, please help me!” is not taking the Lord’s name in vain because we are recognizing God’s supreme power over all things – including over fire and our burning leg.

Reply to this topic

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved