The Art of the Steal (#4.1)

29 replies to this topic

#1 MrsMann

MrsMann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:55 PM

What were your thoughts on the first episode of season 4?

I really liked it! Good amount of M&M banter, teasing and general arguing.

ROTF at poor Marshall's bent neck when trying to fit into Mary's Mustang. :lol:

So is Mary's new purple probe dead again? Hopefully, they'll be able to ressurect it...there's something perfect about that lousy car that's so "Mary".

And YAY for Marshall getting an intelligent, pretty, smart and upbeat girlfriend!

#2 GWSTB

GWSTB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:00 AM

I don't think I'd mind the girlfriend as much, but that accent is so over-the-top, it's laughable. And annoying.

I do have a question. Does anyone know what Marshall said after Mary asked him what she minored in in the car scene? I've watched twice and still can't understand.
"Give me just one thing that I can hold on to." -"Angel From Montgomery", Bonnie Raitt

#3 sagey

sagey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:16 AM

well I dont particularly like the "girlfriend"...she reminds me of the cop in crossing jordan that woody was dating..Lu...and we know what happened to her...
this one got on my nerves pretty much straight away..but can see why marshall likes her..she is as far from mary as polar opposites...
hugs

#4 MorbidPet

MorbidPet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:12 AM

Spill more. Pleaze :rolleyes:
I dunno when they'll air the new season over here in Sweden but I don't mind spoilers. I feed on spoilers since I have to wait Posted Image

ps. seems TWOP board is sorta happy with the ep. marshall gf not so popular but I'm sure that's the m/m shippers talking. me being one of them I'm sure I'll say the same when I finally get to watch it :P

Edited by MorbidPet, 02 May 2011 - 04:14 AM.

#5 sagey

sagey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:22 AM

I didnt like her even before I knew she was M girlfriend...To me she was annoying from word go...
hugs

#6 montekat

montekat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

I enjoyed the episode. I was glad to see as much of Stan as we did. And while I'm not crazy about Brandi, I love Peter and think he adds a lot to the show. Marshall's girlfriend is kind of cute.

I saw one of the topics about Mary's pregnancy, but didn't go there. Is she pregnant? She looked pretty heavy last night.

#7 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:57 AM

I don't think I'd mind the girlfriend as much, but that accent is so over-the-top, it's laughable. And annoying.

I do have a question. Does anyone know what Marshall said after Mary asked him what she minored in in the car scene? I've watched twice and still can't understand.

Jagermeister

Edited by ddanne, 02 May 2011 - 10:58 AM.

#8 Kelwarrior

Kelwarrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

I enjoyed the episode. I was glad to see as much of Stan as we did. And while I'm not crazy about Brandi, I love Peter and think he adds a lot to the show. Marshall's girlfriend is kind of cute.

I saw one of the topics about Mary's pregnancy, but didn't go there. Is she pregnant? She looked pretty heavy last night.

Marshall's girlfriend is about 10 years too young and needs a Valium lick, but otherwise I like what the character is doing for Marshall's character :D Maybe she'll grow on me. And it's not the shipper in me, it's the actress (Rachel Bilson). She needs to tone it down.

Yes, Mary McCormack is pregnant (5 months along now). There were a few of us on the set while they were filming a later episode for this season, and the poor woman is already getting big. It's gonna be interesting :) And, yes, they *are* writing the pregnancy into the show.
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." -- Ayn Rand

#9 MrsMann

MrsMann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

I believe Marshall said that Mary's minor was Jšgermeister (yay-gurr-my-ster), which is a 70 proof German liquor....blech! Never liked it, myself!

I think Marshall desperately needs some non-Mary positive attitude female interaction...the new girlfriend fits the bill. She didn't annoy me, she kinda made me laugh because she's so polar opposite of Mary.

I wonder if the new Witsec agent Stan hired will be a rotating position where Mary just chews 'em up and spits 'em out as they come along! I still miss Eleanor...she was such a great foil for Mary.

Oh and Mary McCormack was on Chelsey Lately the other night...she's due in September, so she got pregnant in January....some New Year's celebrating perhaps?! ;) So she's going to be pretty pregnant during the whole series...I would think they'll have to address it soon. I wonder if it will curtail Mary's job responsibilities in Witsec...she can't really be out in the field firing at bad guys when she's so far along!

Edited by MrsMann, 02 May 2011 - 03:08 PM.

#10 Bittersweet418

Bittersweet418

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

Marshall's head in the Mustang- HILARIOUS!

And I just love Peter and Brandi together. He is definitely becoming more than just a support character and I sincerely hope he becomes a permanent part of the show. I definitely DO think she is changing. It's neat to see how she's gradually "grown" throughout the show- definitely wasn't overdone.

As for Abigail- I can't stand her. And I love that Mary can't stand her. And I love that I can't stand her. If I liked her, I'd have a harder time embracing Marshall and Mary being together, and let's face it, we all secretly want that in the long run :P. Her character is perfect for the show- now I can't wait for them to get in a big fight and break it off!

What do you all think about the new deputy?
I laughed hysterically when she said the Bran muffins "clean her right out"!

#11 JaredD

JaredD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

Canít say one way or the other about the new girlfriend until I see them spending some quiet time together. Kind of hard to get a feel for their relationship with so much going on. Iím a little like Mary when it comes to chipperóa little goes a long way. But, thatís the character and has nothing to do with the actress. I didnít fall in love with her at first sight, but I didnít gag either. I think I need a couple more episodes.

Loved Stan's interviews. Just too bad the person he chose turned out to be another "chipper" (see my comment above), although she looks as if she can be take-no-prisoners tough when she has to be.

Wish Mary could bring herself to take her foot of Brandi's neck.

Reality puts prophesy to shame.
ó Nancy Gibbs

#12 Hayq

Hayq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:55 AM

I am a new poster to this board and I just wanted to say I loved the episode last night. It was FANTASTIC. A little off topic though, does anyone know the brand of Mary's bag in the episode. Id love to get it. :). Help will be greatly appreciated. :) Or if anyone could tell me where I could find out. Thanks.

#13 Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

With Bin Laden breaking like it did Sunday night, I completely forgot about this episode (as a native New Yorker, I've been watching a lot of coverage on that since of course we all remember what happened on 9/11).

Since it was noted that Mary's real-life pregnancy will be written in, I wonder how it will be done on the show.

Walt

Want to discuss stuff that isn't on USA Network or television for that matter? Join me (where I'm a moderator) on the NEW Too Smart To Fail Forum by clicking here!

#14 cindalala

cindalala

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:17 PM

I really enjoyed this season premiere episode. The whole format reminded me of the first two seasons, especially with song at the end. Marshall and Mary are just so much fun to watch, and I get such a kick out of their friendly banter.

#15 bethgreen

bethgreen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

Marshall's girlfriend is about 10 years too young and needs a Valium lick ...

I was just going to lurk here to see what everyone else thought, but you made me LOL :D with your comment, a sentiment that I am in complete agreement with

... but otherwise I like what the character is doing for Marshall's character :D Maybe she'll grow on me. And it's not the shipper in me, it's the actress (Rachel Bilson). She needs to tone it down.

... and this is why I was going to lurk, because all I had to say was 'I agree!'

As long as I'm de-lurking, I'll add that I'm so glad to see IPS back after so long, I would have watched even if the episode was a clone of my most un-favorite episode from Season 2. Thankfully, it was much better.

#16 MrsMann

MrsMann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

Did anyone else notice that Fred Weller had a slight limp in this episode? Looked to be his left leg...you can see it best when Marshall and Mary are walking in the country club to meet the ex-car thief while discussing Marshall's new girlfriend. I wonder if he hurt himself...hope he's better. :(

#17 TilleyGirl

TilleyGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:51 AM

I thought the ep was great. So glad to see the old banter and zingers back. The scenes with Marshall in the 'stang were hilarious. Head bent 1 way in 1st scene, other way in 2nd. Also the 3 cars being towed from the salt mine. Stan's interviews made me laugh and I like the new agent. She may be a little vibrant but there is a spine of steel underneath and I don't think she will back down to Mary.

The gf...ugg. While I believe it was high time & Marshall needs someone, she is over the top. Exudes perky & the accent must be toned down. Mary's gonna hate her on multiple levels. And really, do you arrest someone without even talking to them first? Seemed a bit of overkill on Abbys part, going after Brandi. Plus assuming gf status after a few dates? Marshall was clearly taken aback. But she's probably going to be around for awhile, so what interests me is the impact on the M/M relationship.

#18 hub10

hub10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

I was happy to see IPS back, and loved the easy banter between Marshall and Mary. Poor Marshall and his problems with Mary's car. Those moments are always a treat.

I guess I'm in the minority on a number of levels, but I enjoyed Marshall's new girlfriend. She's shown herself to be a good cop, and that's important to the show. It's not like she's a bimbo. She's smart and she doesn't let Mary intimidate her. Marshall would appreciate that. I hope she stays around for awhile. I also liked the new WITSEC agent. She'll drive Mary to distraction, and that's always a good thing. I do believe when all is said and done, this new agent is going to be stronger than we realize. When the chips are down, she'll come through. Not an easy pushover. Plus, Stan's even standing up to Mary this year. Loved that. Time she takes and order or two when Stan issues one.

There was too much Peter and Brandi in this episode for my taste, but I liked how they worked the witness into the case.

Looking forward to seeing Bradley Whitford next week. All in all, a good opening episode.

#19 Sylvie

Sylvie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:49 AM

I really liked this episode.
But I think is sad that the first thing Mary thought that it was her sister who stole the cars. Because Brandy really seems to have changed.
I'm happy for Marshall that he got a girlfriend, although I must say she is way to chipper for me. But it was cute, that she was really intersted in his trivia. He smiled when she wanted to hear what he had to say about the salt mine. Mary seemed a little annoyed. I hope it will open Mary's eyes to the potential of Marshall.

My favorite scene was when they first went to the witness they used as a consultant. I think I heard a lot of subtext. Mary seemed a little bit pissed that Marshall has this young chipper girlfriend and didn't tell her. And Marshalls comment that Mary's type are guys she don't get don't get her had a lot of subtext. For me it sounded like "I'm the one who understands you, why can't you see that?" And when he said that she sleeps with just about anyone, was like "Why don't you see me?". Well at least thats what I wanted him to mean.

And the whole story about Brandi and Peter getting engaged was really great and I could understand Brandi. The fact that she wanted Peter to reconcile with his parents was very mature.

I really don't know whom I can stand less, Abigaile or the new Marshal. I don't like both of their attitudes. Are there no normal people who applied for that job? Because one of the candidates was worse than the other. It will be interesting how it will work out between the new Marshal and Mary in the next episodes.
I would really like to see another FBI agent, Cop or so, with whom Mary gets along, not always just stupid people she antagonizes.

Edited by Sylvie, 07 May 2011 - 11:51 AM.

#20 hub10

hub10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

I really liked this episode.
But I think is sad that the first thing Mary thought that it was her sister who stole the cars. Because Brandy really seems to have changed.
I'm happy for Marshall that he got a girlfriend, although I must say she is way to chipper for me. But it was cute, that she was really intersted in his trivia. He smiled when she wanted to hear what he had to say about the salt mine. Mary seemed a little annoyed. I hope it will open Mary's eyes to the potential of Marshall.

My favorite scene was when they first went to the witness they used as a consultant. I think I heard a lot of subtext. Mary seemed a little bit pissed that Marshall has this young chipper girlfriend and didn't tell her. And Marshalls comment that Mary's type are guys she don't get don't get her had a lot of subtext. For me it sounded like "I'm the one who understands you, why can't you see that?" And when he said that she sleeps with just about anyone, was like "Why don't you see me?". Well at least thats what I wanted him to mean.

And the whole story about Brandi and Peter getting engaged was really great and I could understand Brandi. The fact that she wanted Peter to reconcile with his parents was very mature.

I really don't know whom I can stand less, Abigaile or the new Marshal. I don't like both of their attitudes. Are there no normal people who applied for that job? Because one of the candidates was worse than the other. It will be interesting how it will work out between the new Marshal and Mary in the next episodes.
I would really like to see another FBI agent, Cop or so, with whom Mary gets along, not always just stupid people she antagonizes.

I think that's the point...Mary doesn't really get along with almost anyone. I liked that both these two new characters weren't going to fold when Mary is being Mary. I think both have the potential to be good additions to the show.

Sorry, but I think Brandi's "changes" are mostly superficial. I think trouble follows her, and I don't see that changing. She's so annoying that I just try and ignore her the best I can. Hopefully, we won't see a lot of her this season.

Reply to this topic

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved