• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 RachelRR

RachelRR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

The promo for the upcoming show said that there are only 2 episodes left. Has it been canceled?

#2 EmmaChan

EmmaChan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

Really???Please don't.

I love this show!!

#3 RachelRR

RachelRR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:08 AM

Really???Please don't.

I love this show!!

I know!! And USA isn't saying anything one way or the other!

#4 NatashaFatale

NatashaFatale

Ghost in the Machine

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

Hm, that is interesting. Fairly Legal originally was picked up for 12 episodes - per a press release from last March when the show was first called "Facing Kate": "Facing Kate will debut with a 90-minute premiere followed by 11 one-hour episodes."

Looks like they only have 10 episodes now, per wiki

On the USA Network, it's very normal for new shows in their first season to only have 12-15 episodes: Psych had 15, White Collar had 14, Monk had 13, Burn Notice, Royal Pains, & In Plain Sight had 12 episodes (This article explains pretty well why cable seasons are shorter: http://www.forbes.co...edia_cable.html). Then if they get renewed, they usually get bumped up to more episodes their 2nd season - but as mentioned above, USA hasn't yet said if Fairly Legal has been renewed or not.

The ratings have been pretty low, averaging around 3+million viewers, so I'd say it's a 50-50% chance. But In Plain Sight had those numbers for Season 3 & they still got picked up for Season 4, so who knows. Unless they announce any news after the finale airs, I assume it will be a couple months more before news is heard.

713siggysmuse.png

#5 Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:30 AM

And that is how things have changed:

The network TV season as we know it really goes back to the pre-cable days of the 1950's, '60s and early '70s, when many shows did 39 episodes per season (those many one-hour dramas only did 26-30), and in many cases if they lasted a few seasons got to 200 episodes total (one notable exception for years was The Honeymooners, which ran for years even though it only produced 39 official episodes in 1955-'56, though later on, skits that were part of its predecessor, The Jackie Gleason Show were added to bring it to almost 200 episodes and The Honeymooners also came back with several one-hour episodes in the 1967-'68 TV season). It was only in 1975 when a writers' strike delayed the start of the 1975-'76 TV season did the season get cut to 26 episodes (though some nighttime soaps would do 30-32 episodes), with as costs escalated over time that being cut to 24 and the now-standard 22 episodes.

What you see now on cable is likely to become more the norm on the networks with fewer episodes, especially as production cost continue to rise and the 100-episode threshold for syndication becomes less important, especially with more shows, especially hour-long dramas going into weekend syndication that doesn't require as many episodes to begin with.

Walt

Want to discuss stuff that isn't on USA Network or television for that matter? Join me (where I'm a moderator) on the NEW Too Smart To Fail Forum by clicking here!

#6 NeilN

NeilN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:44 AM

This show is really entertaining. It really follows the greatest that has aired on USA, from Burn Notice to White Collar and all in between. Now, there is still no official announcement of it's cancellation, and I believe that it will return for another season. It's ratings are still in the 3 million range, which is in league with In Plain Sight. A factor that contributes to the lower ratings is that this show was being broadcast in Spring, not summer. USA shows have always faired better in the summer season than the winter or Spring season. Another reason is that this show is still considered by many to be a legal drama, not an out of the box show like Burn Notice, White Collar, Psych, or Royal Pains.
Let's be real: Kate Reed is very similar to Michael Westen, Neal Caffrey, Shawn Spencer, and Hank Lawson. When it comes to mediation she is the best there is, because of her unorthodox approach. But her personal life is in shambles and she is trying to rebuild it. She's having sex with her ex-husband who wants to end things, her father passed away with some deep secrets that may come back to haunt her, and her step mother is almost as young as her who happens to run her deceased father's law firm. And in all this, she still keeps her father's ashes on her boat (never actually saw what she did with it). The show is funny, charming, sexy, and most of all has heart. It's driven on Sarah Shahi's performance, and that alone is worth a lot.
Cancellation? Hah! USA Network (tagline: characters welcome) has a real gem on their hands. It's a show all about the characters. From Kate and Justin, to Leo and Lauren, to the characters who become involved in the mediation... it's about them. The show needs time to grow, and a 10 episode first season is no help! It should have stayed with it's original order to allow the characters to develop some more, but hey what's done is done. And I have a strong feeling that USA knows that when they renew the series for a second season it's ratings will be stronger as evidenced by it's current TV line up... again referencing Burn Notice, White Collar, Royal Pains, Psych... etc. It's worth keeping this show around, as is USA's entire line up. Fairly Legal's first season wasn't a rating's giant, however, from another stand point 3 million viewers an episode for 10 weeks straight on a Thursday night is an accomplishment all on it's own. It's sticking around for season two, and that's when the real rating's test will occur: can Fairly Legal can sustain it's audience from season one and possibly (hopefully) build upon it.

Edited by NeilN, 18 March 2011 - 01:45 AM.

#7 RachelRR

RachelRR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:50 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I haven't seen any word from USA about "Fairly Legal's" fate, but the explanations make sense. Also, the promo for the upcoming episode mention that it is the "Season Finale" and not the "Series Finale."

#8 Scotty1

Scotty1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:35 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I haven't seen any word from USA about "Fairly Legal's" fate, but the explanations make sense. Also, the promo for the upcoming episode mention that it is the "Season Finale" and not the "Series Finale."

HAs anyone heard anything yet

#9 Callyberry

Callyberry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

They don't always say series finale if the show could go either way, they didn't with the Dead Zone.

#10 RachelRR

RachelRR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

They don't always say series finale if the show could go either way, they didn't with the Dead Zone.

Ugh. I had forgotten about that. Maybe thinking happy thoughts would work!

#11 Ajp9009

Ajp9009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

I read somewhere the it had filming complications which caused them to have to cancel 2 episodes in order to make deadlines. Im pretty sure they'll pick it up for a second season, it's done ok considering its on during a very light part of their progamming

#12 RachelRR

RachelRR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

I read somewhere the it had filming complications which caused them to have to cancel 2 episodes in order to make deadlines. Im pretty sure they'll pick it up for a second season, it's done ok considering its on during a very light part of their progamming

Sarah appeared on a local LA station's happy news shows this morning. She was definitely promoting the show and pleading with people to watch the season finale tonight. She said nothing about it being canceled. But I wonder if Fairly Legal is on the bubble and that is the reason she is making the rounds of the talk shows. (Well, at least one)

#13 betweenthelinesfilms

betweenthelinesfilms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:44 AM

I hope it gets a new season. I'll be very disappointed in USA if they don't renew it. It took me awhile to get into White Collar despite the fact that Matt Bomer is very easy on the eyes.

Edited by betweenthelinesfilms, 25 March 2011 - 04:48 AM.

#14 EmmaChan

EmmaChan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:26 AM

I really hope that there will be a new season.they didn't fix the fighting between Kate and Justin,and that will kill me if they don't renew it.I love the show,I think Kate is gorgeous and Justin is charming.I love to see they to be together,it's a little pity that Kate wasn't pregnant.

#15 gmokb

gmokb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

I really hope that there will be a new season.they didn't fix the fighting between Kate and Justin,and that will kill me if they don't renew it.I love the show,I think Kate is gorgeous and Justin is charming.I love to see they to be together,it's a little pity that Kate wasn't pregnant.

Wasn't it? It would make the relationship even more complicated and interesting. USA better renew the series so that this can play itself out.

#16 jdoors

jdoors

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:12 AM

Has the show been canceled?

We could find out any day soon, or it could be a couple of weeks before we know. http://www.mi7.co/20...t-shows-on.html

#17 scififan37

scififan37

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:21 PM

I would like to see Fairly Legal to continue plz I really want to see what else is in store for Laren cause you know Kate won't let it rest till she has the company, on that not Kate is the rightful heir to Reed & Reed.

#18 RachelRR

RachelRR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

It was a pity, wasn't it? I think that Kate should go out on her own. She doesn't need the added complication of Lauren.

#19 Pollensan

Pollensan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:45 PM

I super hope this show has a lot more seasons! I love the characters! I relate to Kate her character inspires me! I think that letter that Mr. Smith left her has some kind of dirt to keep Lauren in line and get Kate her job back, I mean she never did open it! Not in front of us! Plus she will dig up more dirt on how her father "founded" the business which Lauren will definitely not want people to know. Gosh she makes me want to scream! I need to see her get crushed!!!!! PLUS! I will die without my fix of Leo for the week! Sigh...

#20 EASUSA

EASUSA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

I super hope this show has a lot more seasons! I love the characters! I relate to Kate her character inspires me! I think that letter that Mr. Smith left her has some kind of dirt to keep Lauren in line and get Kate her job back, I mean she never did open it! Not in front of us! Plus she will dig up more dirt on how her father "founded" the business which Lauren will definitely not want people to know. Gosh she makes me want to scream! I need to see her get crushed!!!!! PLUS! I will die without my fix of Leo for the week! Sigh...

david smith i her father that why he always wants to talk to kate. I agree I like this show and hope it gets picked up for another season

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved