• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TheMalcontent

TheMalcontent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:50 AM

I was watching the pilot yesterday and I started thinking what the entire series would be like without Juliet, and if Detective Barry stayed on after the pilot.

First off, we wouldn't have Shules, but other than that, how different do you think the series would have been? I know it's hard to imagine the series after Maggie came in and nailed it, but it's kinda fun to think about. Like if Eric Stoltz actually played Marty McFly instead of Michael J Fox in Back to the Future.

Edited by TheMalcontent, 20 September 2010 - 07:51 AM.

#2 Shulesrockz

Shulesrockz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:35 AM

If Maggie Lawson hadn't come on the show i quite simply would not have been a fan because it was the episode Spelling Bee with that wonderful scene in the diner where Shawn and Juliet met for the first time that actually got me hooked on the show. I watched the pilot and didn't think much of it, and Anne Dudek's portrayal of detective Barry was boring and 2 dimensional and she had absolutely no chemistry with James whatsoever (which is probably why she got canned, thank goodness). YAWN!!

But when the AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, TALENTED, SWEET Maggie Lawson appeared in Spelling Bee and i saw this amazing chemistry she has with James, THAT is what got me hooked. I got hooked on Shules first and on Shawn and Gus second. I love every single aspect of the show but i wouldn't have gotten hooked if it wasn't for Shules, and although i love every single aspect of the show, i could never watch it without Shules. If we ever lost Shules then for me the show would be over, because i just couldn't bring myself to watch it any longer. Juliet is, and always will be my favorite character and Shules is and always will be my favorite aspect and relationship on the show.

But that's just me.

GO SHULES!!!! GO MAGGIE LAWSON!!!! GO JULIET!!!!!!Posted Image

For the record, i have nothing against Anne Dudek. But her character on Psych was lame.

Edited by Shulesrockz, 20 September 2010 - 08:43 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 TheMalcontent

TheMalcontent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:50 AM

If Maggie Lawson hadn't come on the show i quite simply would not have been a fan because it was the episode Spelling Bee with that wonderful scene in the diner where Shawn and Juliet met for the first time that actually got me hooked on the show. I watched the pilot and didn't think much of it, and Anne Dudek's portrayal of detective Barry was boring and 2 dimensional and she had absolutely no chemistry with James whatsoever (which is probably why she got canned, thank goodness). YAWN!!

But when the AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, TALENTED, SWEET Maggie Lawson appeared in Spelling Bee and i saw this amazing chemistry she has with James, THAT is what got me hooked. I got hooked on Shules first and on Shawn and Gus second. I love every single aspect of the show but i wouldn't have gotten hooked if it wasn't for Shules, and although i love every single aspect of the show, i could never watch it without Shules. If we ever lost Shules then for me the show would be over, because i just couldn't bring myself to watch it any longer. Juliet is, and always will be my favorite character and Shules is and always will be my favorite aspect and relationship on the show.

But that's just me.

GO SHULES!!!! GO MAGGIE LAWSON!!!! GO JULIET!!!!!!Posted Image

For the record, i have nothing against Anne Dudek. But her character on Psych was lame.

She had no chemistry with Shawn from a love interest standpoint (because she was lassie's) but she definitely played the role of being "on shawns side" about his theories.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad they went the direction they did (Lassie being a loner) and making the roll more of Shawn's love interest.

#4 Shulesrockz

Shulesrockz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:21 AM

She had no chemistry with Shawn from a love interest standpoint (because she was lassie's) but she definitely played the role of being "on shawns side" about his theories.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad they went the direction they did (Lassie being a loner) and making the roll more of Shawn's love interest.

Well that is open to interpretation because i certainly didn't see it, i just found her character completely boring. I mean just because she may have been on Shawn's side a few times doesn't automatically mean her character had chemistry and was interesting because i saw none of that.

They got rid of her for a reason, you know.

I am just glad that after the pilot i decided to give Psych a second chance and got hooked thanks to Maggie Lawson and Shules.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 MaryLouBaumgartner

MaryLouBaumgartner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

I agree with Shulesrockz.I can't imagine psych without Maggie.It's not that i did'nt like Lucinda,but i think there was just something wrong with the pilot.I never liked it that much.I don't know if it was a chemistry matter,but bringin Maggie was the best idea ever.The idea of givin Lassiter a rookie female partner instead of her girlfriend was great and also making Juliet Shawn's love interest was genius because she was a cop.I think that decision gave freshness and funny dynamics to the show.
I mean,psych is great but Juliet was jsut the missing piece to make it the perfect show we all love!!

#6 Aneema

Aneema

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

Hehe, we must be on hiatus to have these kind of conversations :)

Another thing that would have been different is Lassie as we know him. All the fun with his disastrous dates and the divorce arc wouldn't have been possible in the same way if we'd been reminded that he *could* get an attractive girlfriend and (sort of) cheated on his wife while they were estranged.

I would never want to miss Juliet, but it is fun to think about how Barry would have fitted into the character line-up. The dynamics could have been really interesting. Anne Dudek is a great actress, I thought she was pretty subtle in the Pilot. Barry was stand-offish but definitely impressed by Shawn. It would have been interesting to see Shawn try to deal with a strong female who's not immediately his type but who he needs on his side - if just to rile Lassiter.

Personally, since I only came to Psych when it started running in the U.K. I'd have found it difficult to get Amber from House out of my head.
Posted Image

#7 Captain_Riterra_Smith

Captain_Riterra_Smith

aka The Heater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

Okay fine my 2 cents. Maggie was the best thing to happen to the show. Anne Dudek is a sweetheart but would not have brought the show together as the lead female character. For what it's worth I like her much better as Danielle on Covert Affairs.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Official Spotter of Foreign and Domestic Pineapples for the CMP^2
All of Thailand will run in fear from the giant blonde she-male!

#8 bigkitty_4

bigkitty_4

psych fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

Hehe, we must be on hiatus to have these kind of conversations Posted Image

Another thing that would have been different is Lassie as we know him. All the fun with his disastrous dates and the divorce arc wouldn't have been possible in the same way if we'd been reminded that he *could* get an attractive girlfriend and (sort of) cheated on his wife while they were estranged.

I would never want to miss Juliet, but it is fun to think about how Barry would have fitted into the character line-up. The dynamics could have been really interesting. Anne Dudek is a great actress, I thought she was pretty subtle in the Pilot. Barry was stand-offish but definitely impressed by Shawn. It would have been interesting to see Shawn try to deal with a strong female who's not immediately his type but who he needs on his side - if just to rile Lassiter.

Personally, since I only came to Psych when it started running in the U.K. I'd have found it difficult to get Amber from House out of my head.

Anne Dudek's character was the character the focus group (there are the ones who watch a pilot before it hits the air) didn't like. So when they were shooting the series, the producers replace Anne. I love Anne. Which makes me wonder whether or not we will see her in the Christmas episode. Although some had suspicions in the department about Lassiter and Lucinda, Shawn was the one who announced that they were having an affair. If there was no Shawn, maybe Lucinda would have never transfer and Juliet would have never left Miami. And like you, Anne will always be Amber (which she was great) to me.
"McNabb, hold back the Wonder Twins!"

"Somebody forgot to drink their courageous juice this morning."

#9 WestenIsLove

WestenIsLove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

So we're all talking about the dynamic between shawn and juliet, but what about james and maggie....if they hadn't decided to bring maggie in they would have never gotten together :( so i think that they are very lucky the writers went a different way :rolleyes:
I RISKED MY LIFE, I GOT A MAN BURNED, AND I HAVE CAUGHT AN ENDLESS WAVE OF GREIF ABOUT IT! AND BEFORE YOU SAY NO, YOU NEED TO REMEMBER THAT I'M PRETTY DANGEROUS TOO...

#10 MarthanotGeorge

MarthanotGeorge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

Anne Dudek's character was the character the focus group (there are the ones who watch a pilot before it hits the air) didn't like. So when they were shooting the series, the producers replace Anne. I love Anne. Which makes me wonder whether or not we will see her in the Christmas episode. Although some had suspicions in the department about Lassiter and Lucinda, Shawn was the one who announced that they were having an affair. If there was no Shawn, maybe Lucinda would have never transfer and Juliet would have never left Miami. And like you, Anne will always be Amber (which she was great) to me.

Fascinating! Where did you find this info? Is there a link?

Anne Dudek is a wonderful actress. I sort of think she's been wasted this season on Covert Affairs but have loved her recurring Mad Men character and of course Cut-Throat Bitch on House.

My only thought is that, especially James Roday's tiny Season 1 body didn't look right with Ms Dudek. She's tall-ish. A good partner height for Lassie; but Shawn's love interest needs to be small enough to be scooped up by him. (Loved that running scene in "Forget Me Not" :rolleyes:) Enter: Maggie.

Edited by MarthanotGeorge, 20 September 2010 - 05:32 PM.

#11 MagicallyDelicious

MagicallyDelicious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

Fascinating! Where did you find this info? Is there a link?

Anne Dudek is a wonderful actress. I sort of think she's been wasted this season on Covert Affairs but have loved her recurring Mad Men character and of course Cut-Throat Bitch on House.

My only thought is that, especially James Roday's tiny Season 1 body didn't look right with Ms Dudek. She's tall-ish. A good partner height for Lassie; but Shawn's love interest needs to be small enough to be scooped up by him. (Loved that running scene in "Forget Me Not" Posted Image) Enter: Maggie.

The close talking scene would really put a strain on Roday's neck! Posted Image

Yes, I didn't particularly care for Detective Barry. She just seemed a little cold and emotionless, and to be honest I thought she was played a little woodenly. Which isn't anything against the actress (I thought she was fine on House) but Juliet definitely added a spark of energy and initiative to the police station when she joined. And it doesn't hurt that she's prettier either. Posted Image

EDIT: By the way Martha, if you watch the Kevin Pollak's Chat Show interview James Roday makes a reference to Anne Dudek getting replaced. He says something along the lines of "And for one reason or another as happens from time to time she was left over from the pilot" (I can't remember the exact quote because I haven't seen that interview in too long). It would be tactless for him say that she was replaced because the audience didn't like her, but I think the implication was that she didn't test well.

Edited by MagicallyDelicious, 20 September 2010 - 06:35 PM.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved