439 replies to this topic

#41 CathysOpinion

CathysOpinion

Collar Nutcase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

She's tenacious as a bulldog. Strong and driven. Beautiful and charming and, when necessary funny, and smart. We saw all of this - reminds me of a version of Peter.

I really like strong women. You might be right, about one thing. Perhaps she protests too much...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't consider her a female version of Peter. Diana, yes. Sara comes off too b1tchy. Heck, I don't mind a gal that can kick butt, but did you notice that she planned her repo of the Mercedes to coincide with Peter being there?
Cathy

Just an FYI, I assist Ann (LI Ann) in managing the White Collar Forum. Ann is an official moderator.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them in the WC Forum Online Community thread.

If you are looking for a specific discussion, then take a took at Ann's very nifty index, WC Forum Index.

#42 Terri88

Terri88

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

I wouldn't consider her a female version of Peter. Diana, yes. Sara comes off too b1tchy. Heck, I don't mind a gal that can kick butt, but did you notice that she planned her repo of the Mercedes to coincide with Peter being there?

I agree with Cathy. You can be a strong, intelligent female (look at Diana and Elizabeth) on this show without being bitchy. Sara just didn't have any redeeming qualities that I find attractive. Even when she was showing her "softer" side with Peter, it was only because she was wallowing in self-pity because her "death" didn't make a big enough impact in the world.

#43 NeverSayPerfect23

NeverSayPerfect23

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

considering that Sara isn't going to be a permanent character on the show, I don't really think it matters whether or not we like her. That may sound harsh, but the writers are using her as a means to an end. I mean afterall, we can't like EVERY character they throw our way. There's more to her story that we haven't figured out yet, and more importantly, she's realistic, in my opinion. There are people out there that are ruthless and cold hearted, especially when it comes to their job. Those people aren't commonly women, but for a woman in her line of work, I think they wrote her character well. She's not my favorite, but I have nothing against her for the most part. Again, I see her as a means to an end: there's a high likelihood that Sara's presence is how Peter finds out exactly what Neal has been up to in terms of looking into Kate's death. The writers have to have a larger purpose for her being there, regardless of how much of a bitch she might be.

#44 Pamela11

Pamela11

SHOOT THE MOON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

She's tenacious as a bulldog. Strong and driven. Beautiful and charming and, when necessary funny, and smart. We saw all of this - reminds me of a version of Peter.

A female version of Peter! Nancee, were we watching the same Sara??? :P

PBASBanner62.jpg

#45 Nancee

Nancee

Red Poohbah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

A female version of Peter! Nancee, were we watching the same Sara??? :P

You're right. She's prettier....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Posted Image

#46 Dreamer4ever

Dreamer4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

I think if your biggest complaint about a character is she's "too strong" and "too perfect" that's not much of a complaint. I wonder how many people would still feel that way if "Sara" was "Sam" and the white-collar bounty hunter was male.

If you ask me, the hostility comes from the fact that she's a woman who is at odds with Neal even though she's kind of obviously very attracted to him. And we're used to using how "good guy" characters treat Neal is kind of a barometer for how much we're supposed to like them.
Some men will never be heroes, some heroes will never be men.

#47 Nancee

Nancee

Red Poohbah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

Have I mentioned, I really like strong, smart workaholic women?
Posted Image

#48 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • 22,569 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

Have I mentioned, I really like strong, smart workaholic women?

Me too! That's why I think Sara is a good character. That's why I love Alex and Elizabeth.

And finally that's why I hated whiny, whimpy, boring Kate. :P

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

#49 Sami0330

Sami0330

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

:lol:

I think if your biggest complaint about a character is she's "too strong" and "too perfect" that's not much of a complaint. I wonder how many people would still feel that way if "Sara" was "Sam" and the white-collar bounty hunter was male.

If you ask me, the hostility comes from the fact that she's a woman who is at odds with Neal even though she's kind of obviously very attracted to him. And we're used to using how "good guy" characters treat Neal is kind of a barometer for how much we're supposed to like them.

I don't think the problem is that she is a "Sara" and not a "Sam" (BTW, Sam is not always a man's name :lol: )

I love the writing for all of the female characters on the show, they're strong, beautiful and great to watch. (Especially El, can't wait until she's back!) In MY personal opinion though, this character for some reason just came across WAY too strong and that strength turned into b*tchiness. And I HATE that stereotype....that a woman has to be a b*tchy man-eater in order to be strong, competent and successful. I feel that "characterization" has been done many many times on tv, and I get sick of seeing it. I think the hostility goes beyond the relationship with Neal, but is more of how we expect to see a woman portrayed in order for her to be considered sexy.
She could very well turn out to be a great addition to the show, but in this case, I feel that less is more.
Regardless, I still cannot wait until Tues!

Edited by Sami0330, 15 August 2010 - 05:52 PM.

#50 Dreamer4ever

Dreamer4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

:lol:

I don't think the problem is that she is a "Sara" and not a "Sam" (BTW, Sam is not always a man's name :lol: )

I love the writing for all of the female characters on the show, they're strong, beautiful and great to watch. (Especially El, can't wait until she's back!) In MY personal opinion though, this character for some reason just came across WAY too strong and that strength turned into b*tchiness. And I HATE that stereotype....that a woman has to be a b*tchy man-eater in order to be strong, competent and successful. I feel that "characterization" has been done many many times on tv, and I get sick of seeing it. I think the hostility goes beyond the relationship with Neal, but is more of how we expect to see a woman portrayed in order for her to be considered sexy.
She could very well turn out to be a great addition to the show, but in this case, I feel that less is more.

Her relationships with the rest of the characters are going to evolve. She might have a softer side we just haven't seen yet. Give it time.

I don't really think she IS a "b*tchy man-eater" as you call it. Not if she sat there, dressed to the nines for a night on the town she wasn't going to have, crying into her bouquet of carnations and realizing that she doesn't have anyone to care if she lives or dies. She's paid to be the hard-ass who steals cars on her lunch-break and beats up guys with a baton. She likes that work and it's been good to her, but it's driven away anyone who might have attended her funeral.

I bet anything that realization is going to stick with her as her story-line unfolds.

#51 marymoss1971

marymoss1971

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:08 AM

Sara doesn't seem bitchy to me at all. Just because she wants the Rapheal back, that doesn't make her bitchy. If anything, you could say she's self-serving since her prime motivation isn't justice but rather getting her cut. However, on the flip side, this is her livelihood.If anyone, Sara reminds me of Neal. She seems to enjoy the chase just like he enjoys the con.

#52 CathysOpinion

CathysOpinion

Collar Nutcase

• Members
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:28 AM

Sara doesn't seem bitchy to me at all. Just because she wants the Rapheal back, that doesn't make her bitchy. If anything, you could say she's self-serving since her prime motivation isn't justice but rather getting her cut. However, on the flip side, this is her livelihood.If anyone, Sara reminds me of Neal. She seems to enjoy the chase just like he enjoys the con.

It's her attitude and methods while doing her job that makes her b1tchy. Even the actress who plays her, Hillarie Burton, used the b word to describe her character. She has no people skills. She's extremely bossy. Yeah, I know she was upset that someone put a hit out on her, but so far, she isn't a very nice person. The way she was barking orders to poor Jones made me want to smack her one. Jones isn't her personal assistant. The fact that she has no personal life is an indication on how she conducts her professional life. Neal has people who care about him. Peter's a workaholic but he has people who care about him. Noone showed up to mourn or demand justice when Sara was 'murdered'.
Cathy

Just an FYI, I assist Ann (LI Ann) in managing the White Collar Forum. Ann is an official moderator.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them in the WC Forum Online Community thread.

If you are looking for a specific discussion, then take a took at Ann's very nifty index, WC Forum Index.

#53 marymoss1971

marymoss1971

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

I guess I have a different defination of the word bitchy. Sara seemed nice enough to me. I liked her.

#54 CathysOpinion

CathysOpinion

Collar Nutcase

• Members
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

I guess I have a different defination of the word bitchy. Sara seemed nice enough to me. I liked her.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
Cathy

#55 Dreamer4ever

Dreamer4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

The way she was barking orders to poor Jones made me want to smack her one.

The new feminism, ladies. No longer do we want men to treat us as equals. I'd settle for women treating each-other less like crap.

I repeat, no one would be talking about "smacking" Sara if she were a male.

#56 Nancee

Nancee

Red Poohbah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

The new feminism, ladies. No longer do we want men to treat us as equals. I'd settle for women treating each-other less like crap.

Actually, I quite like Sara. I'd still like to slap her...just because....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Posted Image

#57 CathysOpinion

CathysOpinion

Collar Nutcase

• Members
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:54 PM

Actually, if Sara was a male, I'd want to kick him in the cannolis................

Which is what I wanted to do with Edward Walker in Withdrawals.

Edited by CathysOpinion, 17 August 2010 - 03:55 PM.

Cathy

#58 Apoctyliptic

Apoctyliptic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

I like the character personally.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

<<--------------- Insert Huge and Long Signature Here --------------->>

#59 NeverSayPerfect23

NeverSayPerfect23

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

you know, to be honest, I like when they add characters like Edward Walker... they get under Neal and Peter's skin, which is always fun. I mean, I might not like the characters themselves (although I do like Sara for the most part), but I like what they do for the episodes.

#60 10EE6

10EE6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:27 PM

Actually, I have a customer ask me to slap a fellow male co-worker all the time (joking of course).

I am an equal opportunity slapper! :lol:

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved