• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 criticaleye

criticaleye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:57 AM

I enjoy the show - the plot, starting with Annie on her first day at the Agency,and the character interactions - but: What is up with the boss lady Joan's cocktail dresses with plunging necklines front and back? That's appropriate office attire at the CIA? I don't think so!
And please, scriptwriters: If the show lasts a few seasons, please please do NOT write a highly original, never before seen plot where Annie becomes disabled in some way so that she has to be Auggie's 'eyes' while he is her 'hands' or 'ears' or whatever so that they can capture the bad guy together.

#2 owlson

owlson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:59 AM

It's funny you ask that, my mom mentioned the same thing to me after she watched the first couple of episodes. I never noticed it until she said something and I think that's because it seems like it's very deliberate to me. They aren't just ignorant to the demands of the workplace in that Annie wears various suits to work and I assume that would be far more appropriate attire. So the choice to dress Joan in "cocktail dresses" must have been one they made with purpose. Personally, I think it's supposed to tell us something about the character and who she is.

But, I could be wrong and they just don't care about what's realistic and are going for drama! Posted Image

#3 hub10

hub10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

I totally agree, but really Annie's clothes are no better. We've already seen her show up at work (and not undercover) with seriously unbuttoned blouses and who could do a proper job in those heels? C'mon..... <_<

#4 spycat

spycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

Bullseye. No professional woman would ever wear a low cut sleeveless dress
to an office where all of the men sport suits and ties. This is just Hollywood's
way of covertly implying to the next generation of young women who will be
subtly indoctrinated by this crap that there's no such thing as a powerful
intelligent woman who doesn't put her sexuality out there --- way, way out there.
Retch. Vomit.

#5 Critical_Eye

Critical_Eye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

I'm trying to figure out how the system allowed you to start a user ID so close to mine. Weird.

#6 Klytus

Klytus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:25 AM

And please, scriptwriters: If the show lasts a few seasons, please please do NOT write a highly original, never before seen plot where Annie becomes disabled in some way so that she has to be Auggie's 'eyes' while he is her 'hands' or 'ears' or whatever so that they can capture the bad guy together.

That story doesn't sound original just depressing.

#7 Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:32 AM

Bullseye. No professional woman would ever wear a low cut sleeveless dress to an office where all of the men sport suits and ties. This is just Hollywood's
intelligent woman who doesn't put her sexuality out there --- way, way out there.
Retch. Vomit.

I was wondering about that myself, especially since I grew up in an era where it would have been completely inappropriate to wear that into work. It seems in the last 10 years or so we have seen much more of a "casualization" of the workplace, and that is somewhat of an example.

They should clearly have her in suits like a lot of other women.

Walt

Want to discuss stuff that isn't on USA Network or television for that matter? Join me (where I'm a moderator) on the NEW Too Smart To Fail Forum by clicking here!

#8 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,470 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:14 PM

I was wondering about that myself, especially since I grew up in an era where it would have been completely inappropriate to wear that into work. It seems in the last 10 years or so we have seen much more of a "casualization" of the workplace, and that is somewhat of an example.

They should clearly have her in suits like a lot of other women.

It's still like that in many corporate offices. I spent many years working in the corporate headquarters of a bank and we weren't allowed to wear anything sleeveless or even open toe shoes. And I'm talking about a pump with an open toe not even a sandal. Sandals were an absolute NO NO. That wasn't all that long ago either. I was there in the late 80's, 90's right up to 2004.

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

#9 AnnieDelTaylor

AnnieDelTaylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

I noticed the wardrobe for Joan in an upcoming episode teaser where the neckline is asymmetrical and it's sleeveless as well - I was wondering who would wear that to an office? It looks like she just came from a fancy dinner or cocktail party...

And my understanding of the heels (black with red soles) that Annie wore in the pilot are something special - i.e. expensive. Where does her money come from? Are they independently wealthy? Who paid for fer trip round the world?

Suspension of disbelief all right!

A

#10 Raelir

Raelir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

I noticed the wardrobe for Joan in an upcoming episode teaser where the neckline is asymmetrical and it's sleeveless as well - I was wondering who would wear that to an office? It looks like she just came from a fancy dinner or cocktail party...

And my understanding of the heels (black with red soles) that Annie wore in the pilot are something special - i.e. expensive. Where does her money come from? Are they independently wealthy? Who paid for fer trip round the world?

Suspension of disbelief all right!

A

See, I didn't bat an eye at the shoes because it seemed to me that they'd already made it pretty clear that Annie had money. She'd been traveling the world on her whim. She up and decided to visit all the places her and her ex were going to visit together, and she just went. Obviously, money wasn't an issue for her. Either she comes form a rich family, or she came into an inheritance... who knows? But I think they've pretty much established that she's well enough off that she can definitely afford nice shoes.

#11 EveBoo

EveBoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:23 PM

After reading a little bit in this thread I do think that her dresses are too much for work, but the only thing I could think of first is that I loved her attire, because you have to admit that she is much better dressed than Annie, aside that I think the reason, and I am just throwing an opinion here, is that in her character description (that i read here or somewhere else) it is stablished that she is a woman in power right? and that she has worked her (you know) to get there but fights againts being married to the "Big Man" of the agency, therefore she is not compromising her femeninity (even a word?) she is exploiting it by wearing this way and with an "in your face" attitude saying "Hey! I am yor boss, I am tough and smart but I am a woman and I'll show it" or as we learnt that she actually dated his husband when he was still married part of her insecurities make her dress up more for work to remind everyone and herself that she is hawt and overdress to compensate.
I do think that maybe a jacket on would be more professional, but this is a show and I agree with the person who said (sorry did not remember your username) that her dress style might say something of who she is!!!

You are officially my hero!!

visit www.covertaffairs.net

#12 BetaArtemis

BetaArtemis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:44 PM

Bullseye. No professional woman would ever wear a low cut sleeveless dress
to an office where all of the men sport suits and ties. This is just Hollywood's
Retch. Vomit.

The way I see it, any responsible parent can teach their children how to dress properly.

The job of a TV show isn't to teach kids, it's to entertain, it's up to the parents to address these issues of how to appropriately dress with their kids, not relying on Hollywood to show their kids how to walk, talk, or dress.

I'm a young woman of 18, I've watched shows like these all the time, yet I never had any issues with dressing appropriately for work, or how to show intelligence without putting out my sexuality, and neither do my friends who also watch this show. It's what your parents taught you and how they raised you that imprints on how you behave, not a silly TV show where you watch just to have fun and laugh.

So my opinion, any intelligent woman taught well by her parents should have no problem knowing how to be professional, intelligent, and dress properly.

TV shows aren't parents, it's up the the parents to teach this to their kids.
Posted Image
"I got my Burn Notice, I popped my White Collar. If you're a USA Boy, SAY HOLLA!"
~~Matt Bomer/Mark Feuerstein/Jeffrey Donovan from Royal Pains Season 2 Rap

#13 Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:48 AM

It's still like that in many corporate offices. I spent many years working in the corporate headquarters of a bank and we weren't allowed to wear anything sleeveless or even open toe shoes. And I'm talking about a pump with an open toe not even a sandal. Sandals were an absolute NO NO. That wasn't all that long ago either. I was there in the late 80's, 90's right up to 2004.

Absolutely, and one thing I noticed in a lot of films from the late 1980s and I do remember personally from that time was how many women (especially those at that time in their early 20s) had no qualms about wearing suits, even for a night out in a lot of cases, and overall dressing much more classy than in recent years.

What amazes me now is how many women (and in some cases, men as well) actually wear flip-flops into work, and outside of the beach or pool, those were a complete no-no whatsoever until the late '90s, even if just going to and from work wearing them.

Just my view on that.

Walt

Want to discuss stuff that isn't on USA Network or television for that matter? Join me (where I'm a moderator) on the NEW Too Smart To Fail Forum by clicking here!

#14 JacksSon

JacksSon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

IMHO, it's due to the Kari Matchett hotness factor. :o The woman is incredibly beautiful and looks great in black dresses regardless of the cut. In the series "Invasion", which they had her make a "Shout Out" by saying, "Is this an Invasion" (or something like that) she was always wearing a doctor's smock. I think whether the attire was appropriate for work is something I can completely ignore and just enjoy the eye candy. i know, sexist of me, ask me if I care, go ahead and ask me. :D

Edited by JacksSon, 28 July 2010 - 04:36 PM.

Delenn: "This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw or be destroyed."

Captain Drake: "Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship."

Delenn: "Why not? Only one Human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else!"

-- Babylon 5, "Severed Dreams"

#15 joelf

joelf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:37 PM

Piper Perabo is pretty, sexy, and a wonderful actress. But what would really make Covert Affairs better would be for her to be shown in more flattering clothes, camera angles, etc. In other words, having her be easy-on-the-eyes would only make the show better, and not detract.

Putting a pretty, sexy woman as the lead in your show and then not providing a viewing "payoff" that let's us enjoy her beauty, body, smile, etc. seems like a waste.

Wouldn't you like to see her in pants that are tighter? Skirts that are shorter and/or shinier? Tops that are tighter or lower cut? She's got the heels.
I hate it when she leaves, but it's fun watching her walk away. : )

Thoughts? Exploitive or just good TV?

Joel

Edited by joelf, 03 August 2010 - 11:39 PM.

#16 fist

fist

Say Major General!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

Dude, she's a CIA agent. She's not there to be hot. Its pretty sad that you want to watch a show just to ogle some chic on it. If that's all you want, go watch One Tree Hill.

#17 joelf

joelf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:17 AM

Dude, she's a CIA agent. She's not there to be hot. Its pretty sad that you want to watch a show just to ogle some chic on it. If that's all you want, go watch One Tree Hill.

Dude...(classy).

So, DUDETTE.... I said "more flattering." She's not in the office all the time. What about undercover missions? Where you got the idea that I "just" want "to ogle" is also not what I said. I said that the show could be improved by taking advantage of all of its resources. Normal heterosexual males enjoy looking at pretty women. What's wrong with making her more appealing? Sheesh. So, relax. It's a good show, it can be improved. That's all. Dudette.

BTW, Matt Bomer is gay, so he wouldn't be into you at all.

Edited by joelf, 04 August 2010 - 12:19 AM.

#18 csb1227

csb1227

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

Go watch Alias. It fits what you seem to want this show to be.

As far as her wardrobe goes: She dresses like normal people dress. That makes the show more believable for me.

Wouldn't you like to see her in pants that are tighter? Skirts that are shorter and/or shinier? Tops that are tighter or lower cut?

No, I wouldn't. That would shift the focus of the show from the drama to "What will I get to see Piper wear this week?"

Sex just doesn't sell to me nor does it make a character interesting and I think for USA that would be unwelcome.

#19 joelf

joelf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

Go watch Alias. It fits what you seem to want this show to be.

As far as her wardrobe goes: She dresses like normal people dress. That makes the show more believable for me.

No, I wouldn't. That would shift the focus of the show from the drama to "What will I get to see Piper wear this week?"

Sex just doesn't sell to me nor does it make a character interesting and I think for USA that would be unwelcome.

I watched all five seasons of Alias. Loved it.

As for your "I think for USA that would be unwelcome," um... haven't you seen the promotional poster for the show? Also, just look at what she's wearing at: http://www.usanetwor.../covertaffairs/ Oh, and look at the pink dress she's wearing in her character gallery. I'm just saying it would be nice to see all of that transferred into the show.

No one wants to see a show about CIA agents pushing paper in cubicles. I'm just saying that what USA advertised, is a great show that has sex appeal. Nothing wrong with that. A show with bad writing cannot be saved by sex appeal alone. A show with great writing, a strong female lead can be improved by sex appeal. Not sex, not what "will I get to see Piper wear," but simply flatter her more often.

That's all.

Edited by joelf, 04 August 2010 - 07:54 PM.

#20 Klytus

Klytus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:01 PM

Piper Perabo is pretty, sexy, and a wonderful actress. But what would really make Covert Affairs better would be for her to be shown in more flattering clothes, camera angles, etc. In other words, having her be easy-on-the-eyes would only make the show better, and not detract.

Putting a pretty, sexy woman as the lead in your show and then not providing a viewing "payoff" that let's us enjoy her beauty, body, smile, etc. seems like a waste.

Wouldn't you like to see her in pants that are tighter? Skirts that are shorter and/or shinier? Tops that are tighter or lower cut? She's got the heels.
I hate it when she leaves, but it's fun watching her walk away. : )

Thoughts? Exploitive or just good TV?

Joel

Are you saying that if you personally met Annie with her personality as she is dressed on the show, you wouldn't be intoxicated with her presence. I find that hard to believe. A part of a woman's beauty comes from within and the best way to experience that is in person. The clothes work in that her clothes are conservative but tailored so the clothes fit beautifully. Annie is beautiful enough!

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved