415 replies to this topic

#1 gardengurl

gardengurl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

Hi,

I'm a new fan of Covert Affairs and noticed that on the USA homepage that "Ben" (Annie's mystery man) was not listed as a character on the show.

Will he not be a regular on the show? I hope he isn't just a plotline that will fade out....I like the mysteriousness of him lurking on the shadows....watching Annie and keeping her safe while maintaining his distance...

What do you all think? Will he become a regular character like Auggie, Joan, etc??

Thanks,

GardenGurl

#2 Kacy

Kacy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:33 PM

I'm with you Gardengurl, I really hope he is a reoccurring character on the show. My mom and I have had many debates on who/what he really is. I came on the site to see who the actor was, but notice (as you did) that he wasn't listed. He is not listed on the imdb page either. His character has intrigued me and I would really like him to stick around. And lets face it, he's not to bad on the eyes either ;)

#3 FiRocks

FiRocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:18 PM

LOVE Eion Bailey as Ben, I don't think he's been cast as a regular. I think he's only a reoccurring character this season. I can't wait to see where the whole Ben/Annie thing goes you know? Especially since it seems like she was recruited based on knowing him. A whole lot of freaky, IMHO.
Yeah he was listed in "Pilot" Kacy, you can see it at his IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0047248/

Edited by FiRocks, 21 July 2010 - 09:19 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Kacy

Kacy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

LOVE Eion Bailey as Ben, I don't think he's been cast as a regular. I think he's only a reoccurring character this season. I can't wait to see where the whole Ben/Annie thing goes you know? Especially since it seems like she was recruited based on knowing him. A whole lot of freaky, IMHO.
Yeah he was listed in "Pilot" Kacy, you can see it at his IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0047248/

I was just looking at the Covert Affairs IMDB. I must have missed it there. I did see CA was listed on his IMDB.

On a side note, I was wondering about her recruitment. She said she wanted to go to the CIA because the life it offered seemed appealing. My dad and I were talking and he said, "How did they know she was going to want to go to the CIA?" That got me thinking (never a good idea), maybe they didn't know she knew him til her vetting interviews and then they put 2 and 2 together. I don't think the CIA was actively recruiting her or else Ben would have been suspicious. I don't know, I'm still really confused about the whole situation.

Another side note... My mom thinks he might be a burned spy. I disagree because I didn't think USA network would have two shows with burned spies. Any thoughts on who/what Ben is?

#5 FiRocks

FiRocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

I'm thinking maybe rogue agent type stuff. Like they trained him and then he went out and started doing stuff on his own like Undead Larry on "Burn Notice" he wasn't burned exactly, just a whole lot of crazy.

Posted Image

#6 Kacy

Kacy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

I'm thinking maybe rogue agent type stuff. Like they trained him and then he went out and started doing stuff on his own like Undead Larry on "Burn Notice" he wasn't burned exactly, just a whole lot of crazy.

The "a whole lot of crazy" made me laugh. I never thought of that. Another Undead Larry running around. Yikes. I kinda wish they would give us more with that story. I was a bit upset that we only got a few lines of dialog in episode 2. I can't wait to figure all this out. I'm a bit impatient if you can't tell :)

#7 FiRocks

FiRocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:51 PM

The "a whole lot of crazy" made me laugh. I never thought of that. Another Undead Larry running around. Yikes. I kinda wish they would give us more with that story. I was a bit upset that we only got a few lines of dialog in episode 2. I can't wait to figure all this out. I'm a bit impatient if you can't tell :)

That's cool. I think that's a mark of the show interesting you, you know? That you can't wait to see what the big reveal is with the character. I wonder if there's a way to find out how many episodes he's going to be on? It's not listed on his imdb page, but maybe elsewhere. Hold on, I'm going to go look for some ntel. ;)

Posted Image

#8 gardengurl

gardengurl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

I'm with you Gardengurl, I really hope he is a reoccurring character on the show. My mom and I have had many debates on who/what he really is. I came on the site to see who the actor was, but notice (as you did) that he wasn't listed. He is not listed on the imdb page either. His character has intrigued me and I would really like him to stick around. And lets face it, he's not to bad on the eyes either Posted Image

Yes! He is very easy on the eyes!

My thoughts are that I think he is a rogue agent also who was working a case (pretending to be an English Teacher) and met Annie by chance on one of her many travel adventures. Not anticipating a romance, he spent time with her and fell in love. Remember in episode 2, several points were made about how being in the CIA requires you to almost have no personal life. You almost have to sacrifice family for the job. So maybe Ben, realizing he cared for Annie, decided that there was no future with her as long as he was a CIA agent. Not to mention the fact that she could be put in danger by associating with him in his line of work. Plus, the relationship was already built on lies (him being an english teacher). So he left that painful note: "The truth is complicated, forgive me" and disappeared because he cared for her and her safety. Thats why he kept tabs on her even two years after he last saw her. WHen he discovered she was CIA, he has to now watch her extra carefully to make sure she isn't in danger. I wonder if he knows she was recruited by the CIA as bait to get to him because we know she doesn't have a clue the CIA wants him.

Now in the first episode, she mentions she wanted a job where she couldn't get burned again...didn't want to let her guard down. The CIA trains people to always be on-task and focused.....thus the appeal for the job! She had the linguistic skills that made her an asset to the CIA so when the CIA went looking for the elusive Ben Mercer, they found out he went into hiding shortly after his short romance with Annie Walker. After that, I think she was always in the plans to be used by the CIA to get to Ben. In the first episode, she is asked if she can keep her personal emotions away from her work persona, a question she answered ABSOLUTELY to. But I think when she and Ben finally come face to face and she finds out who he is and how bad the CIA wants him, she will be tested on her loyalty to her job or to the man she loves. Hopefully she won't be so angry by the web of lies he weaved and how he just disappeared on her that she won't be stupid and leak details to his whereabouts.

SOOOOO many possibilities!!!! Please PLease producers, directors, creators, writers, WHOEVER!!! KEEP BEN MERCER ON THE SHOW AS A REGULAR!!!

My two cents for the day!
GardenGurl

#9 Summer_Fun

Summer_Fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

maybe they didn't know she knew him til her vetting interviews and then they put 2 and 2 together.

I think the opposite. The vetting interview made it pretty clear they already knew about Ben, and were attempting to find out what she could tell them. That's why the used it to do the exposition of Annie and Ben's basic relationship.

I don't think Ben has been burned simply because they're too interested in him and what he's doing for that. Rather, I think he's gone dark or they think he's gone rogue, and they want to know what he's doing. I imagine in time we'll learn he's discovered something he's investigating off the radar.

#10 ErwinG

ErwinG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

I think the opposite. The vetting interview made it pretty clear they already knew about Ben, and were attempting to find out what she could tell them. That's why the used it to do the exposition of Annie and Ben's basic relationship.

I don't think Ben has been burned simply because they're too interested in him and what he's doing for that. Rather, I think he's gone dark or they think he's gone rogue, and they want to know what he's doing. I imagine in time we'll learn he's discovered something he's investigating off the radar.

I agree!

I think we'll see more of him in bits and pieces ... and maybe the producers/writers do have a story-line planned for his character ... who knows! But wouldn't it be great if at the final scene of the season final ... Annie finds him and asks him to stop running and when he turns around, she says "You?" Black Screen!

#11 AnnieDelTaylor

AnnieDelTaylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

I agree about the not being burned - rogue, most likely. And DEFINITELY recruited Annie to get to him.

I'm a HUGE HUGE HUGE Eion Bailey fan. He's been off the scene for a few years and I keep hoping he will make a reappearance. Not disappointed that the first scenes in the pilot where Eion (sans shirt, of course). Gave me hopes that we would see more of him. Ha!

Watching episode 2 tonight - now that I have a free minute. Is Eion in thuis episode?

Annie

#12 AnnieDelTaylor

AnnieDelTaylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:53 AM

Just read this tidbit from the LA Times on Annie's ex-bf coming back straight from an interview between Parabo and the White Collar actor Bomer:

Bomer: Another thing I found interesting is this whirlwind relationship with a mystery man abroad now resurfacing in some very interesting ways. Do you think Annie would forgive him for the sudden departure if he came crawling back?

Perabo: He definitely returns. Im not sure if Annie is ready to forgive him or not. Were about eight episodes into the season now. His return isn't exactly dreamy and romantic.... The actor who plays him, Eion Bailey, is so fun and game. When we do action sequences, people have to hold Eion back. (http://latimesblogs....rt-affairs.html)

Stop holding Eion back! Let's see what he can do...

A

#13 ErwinG

ErwinG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

Just read this tidbit from the LA Times on Annie's ex-bf coming back straight from an interview between Parabo and the White Collar actor Bomer:

Stop holding Eion back! Let's see what he can do...

A

So I guess that means we'll see him sooner than expected ... pretty cool!

Thanks A ;)

#14 gardengurl

gardengurl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

What do you guys think? Was it Ben in the black car that followed her when she left the bar or was it Stas? I think it was Ben.....at the end of the first episode, he drove off in a black car with the exact same tail lights....I know cause I went back and watched it several times to compare......told yall I was a fan!

Anyway....I think it was Ben.....the question is....why?

~GardenGurl~

Edited by gardengurl, 23 July 2010 - 03:56 PM.

#15 Summer_Fun

Summer_Fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

Why would Ben follow her so aggressively? It's far more likely to be Stas or an as yet unknown third party.

#16 gardengurl

gardengurl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

Why would Ben follow her so aggressively? It's far more likely to be Stas or an as yet unknown third party.

I think it was Ben tailing her to make her question whether the guy who died was really Stas so she wouldn't just quit looking into the matter. I think it turned "aggressive" because Ben never thought she would turn the chase around on him.....interesting thoughts though!! Can't wait to see what happens!

#17 AnnieDelTaylor

AnnieDelTaylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:24 PM

I think you may be right about Ben being Annie's tail - but doubt it was to make her question Stas' death.

More likely it was a tail to see what she was doing - must be hard to trust a former lover turned CIA agent when you yourself are an estranged agent. Bet Ben is thinking that over pretty hard.

A

I think it was Ben tailing her to make her question whether the guy who died was really Stas so she wouldn't just quit looking into the matter. I think it turned "aggressive" because Ben never thought she would turn the chase around on him.....interesting thoughts though!! Can't wait to see what happens!

#18 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,668 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:06 PM

I'm not sure we've gotten any information yet as to Ben Mercer's status. Obviously, the CIA knows who he is and is very interested in flushing him out but is he a rogue CIA agent? Or is he something else? We didn't hear him speak in the scene on the beach with Annie so we don't know if he had an accent which would raise the possibility that he is a foreign operative. I wonder how long it will take them to fill us in on these details.

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

#19 AnnieDelTaylor

AnnieDelTaylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:12 PM

You're right - I didn't even realize we never heard him say anything. I just heard his note out loud in my head. :)

Wow, hope to find out soon! Would be very cool to start seeing Ben interact with Annie - waiting for the chemistry and to see how that effects her relationship with Auggie - is it me or is there something there too?

A

#20 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,668 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

You're right - I didn't even realize we never heard him say anything. I just heard his note out loud in my head. :)

Wow, hope to find out soon! Would be very cool to start seeing Ben interact with Annie - waiting for the chemistry and to see how that effects her relationship with Auggie - is it me or is there something there too?

A

Yes, there seems to be something there but I don't think they know it :) if that makes any sense.

I'm hoping they play up the Ben Mercer angle and stop focusing on Joan and what's his name. Unless they have a point for that particular storyline, it seems too much like a soap opera story to me.

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved