Advertisement

No Celebrity Endorsement Implied

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

ddanne and bagpipe_mouse's tag team fan fic, random scene, and miscellaneous backstory thread

• Please log in to reply
7225 replies to this topic

#1 Bagpipe_Mouse

Bagpipe_Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

OK, this thread is an offshoot of the "Mano A Mano" thread, where ddanne and I wandered off following our inner screenwriters. We decided to start this thread for us to play in without hijacking that thread any further. Everyone, feel free to lurk, comment, issue challenges, etc.

#2 Bagpipe_Mouse

Bagpipe_Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

Well. . .in my original scenario, he actually let her catch him in a compromising situation with another woman. . .but maybe that’s a little too “bad soap opera”?! I’m torn. Your scenario is more subtle. . .I like it. I imagine he could “Gaslight” her pretty easily?! When she finally confronts him about his suspicious behavior. . .he “confesses” that there’s someone else.

If you think about how Boris got Hank to Cuba, he didn't lie outright. He simply didn't give a lot of information and let Hank make assumptions. I can easily imagine that being his modus operandi. In my mind, when she confronts him, he doesn't confess to anything. He just refuses to explain anything. She makes the assumption that it's another woman.

First, he’s got to confess that he lied about the cheating. She’s going to be pissed that he lied to her AND manipulated her. THEN he’s eventually got to tell her the truth about his health. . .otherwise, lying about the cheating makes no sense?!

If he let her make assumptions, he doesn't have to confess to lying. And, it's a direct entry into talking about his condition. ("Those calls were to doctors. The letters were test results. I was in Berlin for pre-testing for a clinical trial.") I can see her being angry at his manipulation (Hank is going to have lots to say about that in my prequel scene!) and then at his lack of trust in her love for him. I'm letting this percolate, but jump in if you get inspiration.

Oh. . .and one more thing to add to the list in the spiral notebook. . ."The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show"
. . .probably my all-time favorite cartoon ever!! He's just GOT to see "Boris" and "Natasha"?![/font][/size] :rolleyes:

"Oh, I've seen Rocky and Bullwinkle. You can't live in the States and be named Boris without getting Rocky and Bullwinkle jokes. So, who does that make Moose and Squirrel, Dah-ling?"

#3 Bagpipe_Mouse

Bagpipe_Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

OK, my inner screenwriter puked all over my brain this weekend. I'll start with a little Dieter backstory. Well, Dieter's family's backstory. I actually spent the better portion of my lunch working out the timeline of the Kuester von Jurgens-Ratenicz lineage. :blink: So, see if you like this.

It's 1904, on a streamliner crossing the Atlantic from London to New York. Emmerich Kuester von Jurgens-Ratenicz, the scion of a powerful German banking family, is traveling to the U.S. to start a branch of his family's bank. Being only 25, he uses the trans-Atlantic voyage to sow some wild oats with his fellow privileged first-class travelers. Unfortunately, Emmerich flirts with the wrong young lady, incurring the wrath of her fiance and his friend. The two catch Emmerich walking alone back to his cabin and proceed to pummel him. Suddenly, there are shouts of pain, and the two attackers fall unconscious to the deck in quick succession. Emmerich looks up to see a slight, unassuming man, clearly of humble station.

"Are you all right, sir?"
"Yes, thank you. But how do you know I didn't deserve that?"
"Even if you deserved to be hit, two against one isn't exactly fair."
"Maybe. But one against two? And to win? That quickly? That's remarkable! Let me buy you a drink."

Emmerich learns that the young man is Bertram Goldberg, a German Jew traveling steerage on his way to America. Although Bertram hasn't had a great deal of formal education, he is well-read and highly self-educated. The two become fast friends on the trip, and Emmerich offers Bertram a position as his personal assistant in New York.

And a family tradition begins...

#4 Bagpipe_Mouse

Bagpipe_Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

OK, that previous backstory was necessary for this little scene. (I'm assuming Boris is 11, and Dieter is 15)

The scene is the dining hall of a German boarding school. 1976. A 15 year old boy sits alone at the end of a table eating his dinner and studying his history book. He hears two other boys talking. "Hey, where's that weird little kid...what's his name?" "Boris? You didn't hear? His crazy mother finally offed herself. Took a bunch of sleeping pills. When the headmaster told him he ran out of the office blubbering like a baby, and now nobody can find him." The young man closes his book and quietly leaves. He goes back to his room, retrieves a flashlight, and sneaks out to a hedge by the edge of the woods. The branches form a little cave. He sits at the entrance to the cave, and calls out...

"Boris. Come out of there. Everyone is worried sick about you. (pause) Come out...I know you're in there."
(A tiny tearful voice) "No I'm not."
"You do realize, don't you, that by denying you're there, you've just confirmed that you are."
"Boris isn't here. This voice is a figment of your imagination."
"You know very well I have no imagination. You're the one that makes up all the games and stories. You should write those down. You could be a famous author some day. (pause) I heard about your mother. I'm sorry."
"Why did she do that?"
"She was very sad for a very long time. I guess she couldn't take it anymore, and went to be with your father."
(angrily)"But she left me all alone!"
"Nonsense! I'm here. I'll take care of you. The Goldberg men have been taking care of the Kuester von Jurgens-Ratenicz men for three generations, and I'm not about to break that tradition."
"I have nightmares."
"I'll have the headmaster change rooms so I can be your roommate."
"The other boys make fun of me."
"I'll beat them up for you. Don't worry about all that right now. You and I will figure it all out together. Now come out of there."
(A small boy emerges, his face tear-streaked and eyes red.)
"Boris, you look pitiful!"
"Maybe they'll give me chocolate cake."
"If they do, will you share?"
(Mildly insulted)" Of course I'll share, Dieter! You're my best friend."

#5 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

OK, this thread is an offshoot of the "Mano A Mano" thread, where ddanne and I wandered off following our inner screenwriters. We decided to start this thread for us to play in without hijacking that thread any further. Everyone, feel free to lurk, comment, issue challenges, etc.

OK. . .I’m bringing my last post over to this thread. . .because I really, REALLY like my dialogue?!

When he ambushes her at the bookstore, he tells her that things weren’t really what they seemed to be when she left him. There were things that he couldn’t tell her when they broke up. She’s curious
. . .AND she’s thinking she can get some things off her chest. . .things that she wasn't able to tell him when they actually broke up. . .things that he wouldn't LET her say?! That’s why she agrees to have dinner with him. That. . .and the fact that she’s still “addicted” to him. . .like a very expensive drug?!

Boris sets the ground rules for the dinner. . .are we surprised?! A pleasant dinner FIRST. . .THEN “true confessions”?!

“Boris. . .dinner was lovely. . .a little surreal. . .but lovely. Dessert was lovely. BUT. . .the. . .ELEPHANT on the terrace is getting a bit . . .intrusive?! I’m going to the powder room. . .and when I get back
. . .you’re going to tell me WHY IN THE HELL I’M HERE?!” When she returns, he hands her a vodka rocks. . .NOT a good sign?! “Boris. . .if you’re looking for absolution. . .first. . .you have to confess your sins”?! He takes one last puff of his Montecristo. . .and. . .and. . .and that’s as far as I got?!
:blink:

Edited by ddanne, 21 July 2010 - 04:13 PM.

#6 Bagpipe_Mouse

Bagpipe_Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Boris. . .if you’re looking for absolution. . .first. . .you have to confess your sins”?! He takes one last puff of his Montecristo... :blink:

"I have sins to confess...just not the one of which I was accused. Annabell, I swear on my parents' souls I have never cheated on you. When I told you I loved you, I became completely yours...heart, mind, soul...(laugh) and body."

(She laughs and smiles despite herself.)"But the phone calls...the letters you wouldn't let me see...disappearing for that week after we had planned that sailing trip...what else could there have been?"

"The phone calls were to doctors and researchers. The letters were lab results. I spent that week in Berlin at a genetics conference..."

"Boris, you're scaring me...are you sick?!"

"Yes...no...not yet, I suppose is the most accurate answer. Do you remember when we were looking at my family photo album, and you remarked on how there were a lot of old women, but no old men? There's a reason for that. My family line carries a mutation that causes rapid degeneration at about my age. Hank believes medicine is closing in on a solution. Part of me hopes...but I also know I'm on borrowed time."

"Why didn't you tell me this?! I love you, and I want to see you through this!"

"I love you, too. That's why when you accused me of cheating, I saw my chance to protect you. I used to visit my father at the bank almost every day. He would call out to me and I'd run to him, and he'd spin me around until I was dizzy. Then one day, his legs just gave out and he collapsed to the floor. Six months later he was in a wheelchair. The year after that, he no longer recognized me. I watched my mother die right along with him. I was almost relieved when she overdosed. I wanted to spare you that."

"Then why did you come here?"

"Because without you, I am dead already. I tried to hasten the end with some very fine scotch...and good German wine...vodka...pretty much everything I had in my liquor cabinet. Then Dieter called Hank...the little Jersey Jiminy Cricket...who upbraided me for what I believe he called "usurping your moral autonomy". He said I should tell you the truth, and allow you to decide what to do with it. I don't know if I agree. It's not right...it's not fair to ask this of you. I wanted to talk to someone...you know, someone I could lay out all my thoughts to...someone who would tell me the truth, no matter how painful and no matter how much I would fight it. Unfortunately, that someone would have to be you. I don't know what to do, Annabelle. Tell me what is the right thing to do."

"Boris, truth is always the right thing."

OK, that's what I've got so far.

#7 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

If you think about how Boris got Hank to Cuba, he didn't lie outright. He simply didn't give a lot of information and let Hank make assumptions. I can easily imagine that being his modus operandi. In my mind, when she confronts him, he doesn't confess to anything. He just refuses to explain anything. She makes the assumption that it's another woman.

Well. . .you’re right about Hank’s “renditioning” to Cuba. Boris plays his cards VERY close to the vest. So. . .”Gaslight” it is. “Annabelle. . .you know that much of my business is confidential. I can’t. . .and won’t. . .”share” every phone call, every text message, simply because YOU are insecure?! If you no longer trust me. . .then we have NOTHING left between us?!”

If he let her make assumptions, he doesn't have to confess to lying. And, it's a direct entry into talking about his condition. ("Those calls were to doctors. The letters were test results. I was in Berlin for pre-testing for a clinical trial.") I can see her being angry at his manipulation (Hank is going to have lots to say about that in my prequel scene!) and then at his lack of trust in her love for him. I'm letting this percolate, but jump in if you get inspiration.

Master Manipulator!!! He’s walking a very fine line here. No, he didn’t lie to her. . .BUT. . .he DID manipulate her into doing exactly what he wanted her to do. Lose faith in him. . .and walk away?! BUT
. . .he did tell her things weren’t as they seemed. . .and it is the perfect opening for “the talk”?! She is going to be royally pissed, though. She HATES being manipulated. . .or “micro-managed”?! And she’s crushed that he didn’t have enough faith in her and her love for him. AND. . .he WASTED a LOT of time they could have spent together?! (How much time? In my original scenario. . .they were together about three years. . .then apart for about two. Suggestions?) “Selfish, arrogant BASTARD!!” I’m going to go out on a limb here and say she slaps him in the face. She takes aim for a second slap. . .but he catches her wrist before she makes contact.

"Oh, I've seen Rocky and Bullwinkle. You can't live in the States and be named Boris without getting Rocky and Bullwinkle jokes. So, who does that make Moose and Squirrel, Dah-ling?"

Hmmmmm. . .Boris (Boris), Natasha (Annabelle), Moose (Evan) and Squirrel (Hank). . .?! That could be a fun little running joke?! :rolleyes:

Edited by ddanne, 18 February 2012 - 09:42 PM.

#8 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:08 PM

OK, my inner screenwriter puked all over my brain this weekend. I'll start with a little Dieter backstory. Well, Dieter's family's backstory. I actually spent the better portion of my lunch working out the timeline of the Kuester von Jurgens-Ratenicz lineage. :blink: So, see if you like this.

It's 1904, on a streamliner crossing the Atlantic from London to New York. Emmerich Kuester von Jurgens-Ratenicz, the scion of a powerful German banking family, is traveling to the U.S. to start a branch of his family's bank. Being only 25, he uses the trans-Atlantic voyage to sow some wild oats with his fellow privileged first-class travelers. Unfortunately, Emmerich flirts with the wrong young lady, incurring the wrath of her fiance and his friend. The two catch Emmerich walking alone back to his cabin and proceed to pummel him. Suddenly, there are shouts of pain, and the two attackers fall unconscious to the deck in quick succession. Emmerich looks up to see a slight, unassuming man, clearly of humble station.

"Are you all right, sir?"
"Yes, thank you. But how do you know I didn't deserve that?"
"Even if you deserved to be hit, two against one isn't exactly fair."
"Maybe. But one against two? And to win? That quickly? That's remarkable! Let me buy you a drink."

Emmerich learns that the young man is Bertram Goldberg, a German Jew traveling steerage on his way to America. Although Bertram hasn't had a great deal of formal education, he is well-read and highly self-educated. The two become fast friends on the trip, and Emmerich offers Bertram a position as his personal assistant in New York.

And a family tradition begins...

So. . .that’s Boris’s great-grandfather, who built the bank in New York? I like it!! :rolleyes:

#9 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

OK, that previous backstory was necessary for this little scene. (I'm assuming Boris is 11, and Dieter is 15)

The scene is the dining hall of a German boarding school. 1976. A 15 year old boy sits alone at the end of a table eating his dinner and studying his history book. He hears two other boys talking. "Hey, where's that weird little kid...what's his name?" "Boris? You didn't hear? His crazy mother finally offed herself. Took a bunch of sleeping pills. When the headmaster told him he ran out of the office blubbering like a baby, and now nobody can find him." The young man closes his book and quietly leaves. He goes back to his room, retrieves a flashlight, and sneaks out to a hedge by the edge of the woods. The branches form a little cave. He sits at the entrance to the cave, and calls out...

"Boris. Come out of there. Everyone is worried sick about you. (pause) Come out...I know you're in there."
(A tiny tearful voice) "No I'm not."
"You do realize, don't you, that by denying you're there, you've just confirmed that you are."
"Boris isn't here. This voice is a figment of your imagination."
"You know very well I have no imagination. You're the one that makes up all the games and stories. You should write those down. You could be a famous author some day. (pause) I heard about your mother. I'm sorry."
"Why did she do that?"
"She was very sad for a very long time. I guess she couldn't take it anymore, and went to be with your father."
(angrily)"But she left me all alone!"
"Nonsense! I'm here. I'll take care of you. The Goldberg men have been taking care of the Kuester von Jurgens-Ratenicz men for three generations, and I'm not about to break that tradition."
"I have nightmares."
"I'll have the headmaster change rooms so I can be your roommate."
"The other boys make fun of me."
"I'll beat them up for you. Don't worry about all that right now. You and I will figure it all out together. Now come out of there."
(A small boy emerges, his face tear-streaked and eyes red.)
"Boris, you look pitiful!"
"Maybe they'll give me chocolate cake."
"If they do, will you share?"
(Mildly insulted)" Of course I'll share, Dieter! You're my best friend."

Good job!!

Poor little Boris! If his mother AND father are both gone. . .who’s his legal guardian now? Icy, bitter Grandmother? She lost her husband. . .she lost her son. . .now she’s responsible for raising her grandson. . .knowing the same fate awaits him?! She’s going to provide for Boris materially. . .but not emotionally. Do we think his mother knew what was going to happen to his father? I’m betting he never told her about the family “curse”?! And that’s why Boris is so adamant about not marrying or having children. And Deiter isn’t going to beat up the other boys for Boris. . .he’s going to teach Boris how to beat them up himself!!! This is when Boris starts growing up.
:blink:

#10 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

OK. . .Sorry, but I just had to inject some righteous indignation. . .hope you don’t mind?!

“Boris. . .if you’re looking for absolution. . .first. . .you have to confess your sins”?! He takes one last puff of his Montecristo. . .

"I have sins to confess...just not the one of which I was accused. Annabelle, I swear on my parents' souls I have never cheated on you. When I told you I loved you, I became completely yours...heart, mind, soul...(laugh) and body."

(His laugh is infectious. She laughs and smiles despite herself.) "But the phone calls...the letters you wouldn't let me see...disappearing for that week after we had planned that sailing trip...what else could there have been?” As she thinks back. . .the rips in her heart. . .and her soul. . .start to open again. “You shut me out, time and time and time again! Boris. . .you RUINED my last birthday. . .with no explanation. . .and that was unforgivable?!"

"Ja. . .but I told you at the bookstore that things were not as they seemed. The phone calls were to doctors and researchers. The letters were lab results. I spent that week in Berlin at a genetics conference...missing your birthday. . .was unavoidable. . ."

"Boris, you're scaring me...are you sick?!"

"Yes...no...not yet, I suppose is the most accurate answer. Do you remember when we were looking at my family photo album, and you remarked on how there were a lot of old women, but no old men? There's a reason for that. My family line carries a mutation that causes rapid degeneration at about my age. Hank believes medicine is closing in on a solution. Part of me hopes...but I also know I'm on borrowed time."

“You’re. . .dying?! You’re telling me. . .you’re dying?! Why in the hell didn't you tell me this two years ago?! I love you. . .I could have done something. . ."

"I love you, too. But there’s nothing you could have done. That's why when you accused me of cheating, I saw my chance to protect you. I used to visit my father at the bank almost every day. He would call out to me and I'd run to him, and he'd spin me around until I was dizzy. Then one day, his legs just gave out and he collapsed to the floor. Six months later he was in a wheelchair. The year after that, he no longer recognized me. I watched my mother die right along with him. I was almost relieved when she overdosed. I wanted to spare you that."

She was losing track of all the emotions flooding through her body. . .love. . .sadness. . .anger. . .terror
. . . She wasn’t even thinking now. . .she was just reacting. "YOU wanted to spare me?! YOU made the decision?! YOU let me believe you cheated on me?! YOU nearly destroyed me two years ago. . .and now you’re back, looking for. . .what?! Absolution?! You selfish, arrogant BASTARD?!” Her hand connected with his cheek with a loud crack. She drew back to slap him again, but he caught her wrist in mid-air. “Be careful, little one. . ." She looked up and saw the pain in those damn aquamarine eyes
. . .and suddenly. . .she needed to sit down.

“If you really wanted to spare me. . .then why did you come to the bookstore yesterday? Answer my question, Boris?!”

"Because without you, I am dead already. I tried to hasten the end with some very fine scotch...and good German wine...vodka...pretty much everything I had in my liquor cabinet. Then Dieter called Hank...the little Jersey Jiminy Cricket...who upbraided me for what I believe he called "usurping your moral autonomy". He said I should tell you the truth, and allow you to decide what to do with it. I don't know if I agree. It's not right...it's not fair to ask this of you. I wanted to talk to someone...you know, someone I could lay out all my thoughts to...someone who would tell me the truth, no matter how painful and no matter how much I would fight it. Unfortunately, that someone would have to be you. I don't know what to do, Annabelle. Tell me what is the right thing to do."

“This is the truth. . .I don’t think I can do this be myself. God help me. . .I need you, Annabelle. . .

I like it!! And. . .tag. . .you’re it?!
:rolleyes:

Edited by ddanne, 21 July 2010 - 09:05 PM.

#11 Bill_The_Cat

Bill_The_Cat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:03 AM

you lost me right after Rocky and Bullwinkle. Help me Mr Peabody!!
THPPT ........ACK

#12 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:56 AM

you lost me right after Rocky and Bullwinkle. Help me Mr Peabody!!

Not to worry, Bill! You and Mr. Peabody. . .just jump in the Wayback Machine!! Mouse and I are
. . .shall we say. . .re-writing history?! Read. . .comment. . .enjoy!!
:rolleyes:

Edited by ddanne, 22 July 2010 - 08:56 AM.

#13 Bagpipe_Mouse

Bagpipe_Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

So. . .that’s Boris’s great-grandfather, who built the bank in New York? I like it!! :rolleyes:

Yes, the idea of these two families being linked has fascinated me.

OK, I said that Dieter called in Hank when he became concerned about Boris. Hank meets him in the sitting room of his suite at Shadow Pond. It's a conservative, spare room, with four obviously treasured photos framed on the wall. The first is Emmerich and Bertram on the deck of the ship, with the Statue of Liberty in the background. The next is the two grandfathers at what appears to be a speakeasy. The third, the first color photo, is the fathers at a craps table with Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra. And finally, a photo of Boris and Dieter sitting atop a section of the Berlin Wall in 1989.

"When I first formally entered Boris' service, my father warned me that the Kuester von Jurgens-Ratenicz men had self-destructive tendencies beyond their physical condition....perhaps because of it. It seems to take two divergent tracks. The great-grandfather, Emmerich, and Boris' father, Werner, had the wild streak. As children, Boris and I would peek down from the balcony at parties that would rage until dawn. The grandfather, Fredrick, and Boris...they are the sensitive ones. They withdraw into their own mind...and become trapped in the darkness. Boris hasn't eaten in two days. He's only slept when he's passed out. He has been drinking. More and more every day. Hank...my employer...my friend...he's in trouble."

#14 Bagpipe_Mouse

Bagpipe_Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

Poor little Boris! If his mother AND father are both gone. . .who’s his legal guardian now? Icy, bitter Grandmother? She lost her husband. . .she lost her son. . .now she’s responsible for raising her grandson. . .knowing the same fate awaits him?! She’s going to provide for Boris materially. . .but not emotionally.

Oooo, I can really see that! This could be part of what lead a sensitive, openly loving boy to become an untrusting, guarded man. And, Dieter and his father are like a lifeline...a sort of Harry Potter/Weasley family kind of thing. :D

Do we think his mother knew what was going to happen to his father? I’m betting he never told her about the family “curse”?! And that’s why Boris is so adamant about not marrying or having children.

Or...the grandfather didn't tell the grandmother, which is part of why she's so bitter. But, his father fell in love, and was honest about his condition. She decided to marry him anyway. They never intended to have children, but...and she couldn't bring herself to not carry the pregnancy. They fell in love with their little boy, and decide to live everyday as richly as they could. Still, she was destroyed when he died, and that is why Boris doesn't want to marry.

And Deiter isn’t going to beat up the other boys for Boris. . .he’s going to teach Boris how to beat them up himself!!! This is when Boris starts growing up. :blink:

Boris was isolated and home-schooled, because his parents wanted every second with him they could get. Dieter, on the other hand, went to day school with other kids, played sports, went to camp. He wasn't the most popular boy, but he had his group of friends, and was well-respected by everyone. Still, he loved coming home to play with his little friend. He admired Boris' creativity and generosity. When they went to boarding school, he saw the potential in Boris, and pushed him like a big brother would. Yes, he taught him to stand up for himself, to fight, to play sports, and eventually to talk to girls. ;) He's quite proud of what his charge has become.

#15 Bagpipe_Mouse

Bagpipe_Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

OK. . .Sorry, but I just had to inject some righteous indignation. . .hope you don’t mind?!

No, go right ahead! I like where you're going with her. I tend to live in Boris' mind. (thud) Ouch! Dimmit! Banged my knee on something. Boy, it's really dark in here! :P

She was losing track of all the emotions flooding through her body. . .love. . .sadness. . .anger. . .terror
. . . She wasn’t even thinking now. . .she was just reacting. "YOU wanted to spare me?! YOU made the decision?! YOU let me believe you cheated on me?! YOU nearly destroyed me two years ago. . .and now you’re back, looking for. . .what?! Absolution?! You selfish, arrogant BASTARD?!” Her hand connected with his cheek with a loud crack. She drew back to slap him again, but he caught her wrist in mid-air. “Be careful, little one. . ." She looked up and saw the pain in those damn aquamarine eyes
. . .and suddenly. . .she needed to sit down.

“If you really wanted to spare me. . .then why did you come to the bookstore yesterday? Answer my question, Boris?!”

She doesn't let him get away with any of his controlling...ummm, excrement...does she? I like her!

“This is the truth. . .I don’t think I can do this be myself. God help me. . .I need you, Annabelle. . .

Hmmmm, I think now she gets to make the rules. And she's going to ask the one thing that will be hardest for him to give...transparency.

I like it!! And. . .tag. . .you’re it?! :rolleyes:

I like it too!

OK, here's a side challenge to think about...their first kiss.

#16 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

OK, I said that Dieter called in Hank when he became concerned about Boris. Hank meets him in the sitting room of his suite at Shadow Pond. It's a conservative, spare room, with four obviously treasured photos framed on the wall. The first is Emmerich and Bertram on the deck of the ship, with the Statue of Liberty in the background. The next is the two grandfathers at what appears to be a speakeasy. The third, the first color photo, is the fathers at a craps table with Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra. And finally, a photo of Boris and Dieter sitting atop a section of the Berlin Wall in 1989.

I LIKE the four photos on the wall in Dieter’s sitting room! Good job with the historical backdrops!! :rolleyes:

"When I first formally entered Boris' service, my father warned me that the Kuester von Jurgens-Ratenicz men had self-destructive tendencies beyond their physical condition....perhaps because of it. It seems to take two divergent tracks. The great-grandfather, Emmerich, and Boris' father, Werner, had the wild streak. As children, Boris and I would peek down from the balcony at parties that would rage until dawn. The grandfather, Fredrick, and Boris...they are the sensitive ones. They withdraw into their own mind...and become trapped in the darkness. Boris hasn't eaten in two days. He's only slept when he's passed out. He has been drinking. More and more every day. Hank...my employer...my friend...he's in trouble."

You make a good point. . .I’m not surprised that the men in Boris’s family would turn out to be self-destructive. There’s a warped sort of logic there. . .kill yourself first. . .before the disease gets you?! And Boris does seem to spend a LOT of time alone. . .with only Dieter and the body guards for company. And that’s NEVER a good thing. . .especially if you have a well-stocked liquor cabinet?! :blink:

#17 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

Oooo, I can really see that! This could be part of what lead a sensitive, openly loving boy to become an untrusting, guarded man. And, Dieter and his father are like a lifeline...a sort of Harry Potter/Weasley family kind of thing. :D

Yeah. . .Grandmama Olga is (was?) a tall, handsome woman. . .but is (was?) really bitter. . .and distant. She lost her husband and her son. . .she’s not going to allow herself to love the orphaned grandson
. . .when she knows that eventually. . .she’ll lose him, too. Boris had to learn at an early age to hide his feelings around her. . .and pretty soon. . .he was hiding his feelings from everyone.

Or...the grandfather didn't tell the grandmother, which is part of why she's so bitter. But, his father fell in love, and was honest about his condition. She decided to marry him anyway. They never intended to have children, but...and she couldn't bring herself to not carry the pregnancy. They fell in love with their little boy, and decide to live everyday as richly as they could. Still, she was destroyed when he died, and that is why Boris doesn't want to marry.

Yeah. . .Grandmama Olga definitely didn’t know. But MAYBE. . .Olga told her future daughter-in-law, hoping to stop the marriage?! (We know Boris likes to micro-manage and manipulate. . .maybe that’s something he learned from Grandmama?!) They marry IN SPITE of Olga. . .and Olga was NOT pleased when little Boris came along?! Olga believes that the only way to stop the family curse is to stop the family line. . .as harsh as that may seem?!

Boris was isolated and home-schooled, because his parents wanted every second with him they could get. Dieter, on the other hand, went to day school with other kids, played sports, went to camp. He wasn't the most popular boy, but he had his group of friends, and was well-respected by everyone. Still, he loved coming home to play with his little friend. He admired Boris' creativity and generosity. When they went to boarding school, he saw the potential in Boris, and pushed him like a big brother would. Yes, he taught him to stand up for himself, to fight, to play sports, and eventually to talk to girls. ;) He's quite proud of what his charge has become.

Boris was probably too cute for his own good when he was a little kid. I can see him as a mischievious little tyke, playing silly little pranks on everyone, even Dieter. . .and Grandmama Olga?! Then, his father died, and he got shipped off to boarding school. . .and his life, as he knew it. . .ended. He has to create a whole new life for himself. . .without the love and support of his father and his mother. Dieter was definitely an integral part of that process. I wonder, though. . .when did the roles start to shift? When did Boris become the master. . .and Dieter the servant? :blink:

Edited by ddanne, 22 July 2010 - 03:03 PM.

#18 Bagpipe_Mouse

Bagpipe_Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

(We know Boris likes to micro-manage and manipulate. . .maybe that’s something he learned from Grandmama?!)

And he hates having that pointed out to him! It's one of his hot buttons.

Boris was probably too cute for his own good when he was a little kid. I can see him as a mischievious little tyke, playing silly little pranks on everyone, even Dieter. . .and Grandmama Olga?!

Oh, cute, and he knew it...and knew how to use it!

I wonder, though. . .when did the roles start to shift? When did Boris become the master. . .and Dieter the servant?

The scene is a tiny graduate student apartment, 1986. Two men sit on cheap patio chairs on a balcony sipping beer. One is wearing a German soccer team jersey and cutoffs. The other, slightly older, is wearing gray slacks and a blue shirt, a tie and jacket thrown over a small grill.

"Dieter, thanks for coming over to the States. I know you don't have a lot of time off. I still can't believe you're teaching history at our old school! How do you like it?"
"Ah, it's fine. It's not what I want to do forever. I guess I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up."
"You know what tomorrow is, don't you?"
"Your 21st birthday. Congratulations. Sometimes I wondered if you'd make it this far!"
"Oh, shut up! Well, you know what that means, right?"
"Tomorrow you can actually buy your own beer?"
(Laughs) "Yes, that too. But, I was really talking about my trust. I gain full control tomorrow, along with a one third interest in Festung Bank. I attend my first board meeting on Monday."
"I don't know how you'll be able to sit across from the men who took advantage of your father. And, they've nearly driven the bank into the ground. (Pause) Still, a small part of me pities them. They think you're just some kid not even out of grad school. The poor bastards don't know who they're messing with."
"I'm going to get it all back, Dieter. I'm going to ruin every single one of them."
"I know, Boris. I can see it in your eyes. I know that look."
"You have as much reason to hate them as I do. It was because of them that your father had to work for Olga...on the condition that you went off to boarding school with me."
"That was ok. We had fun."
"Yes, but it hurt you to be away from your father...and to see him abused by her like he was. Look, I have the financial chops to do what I need to do. But I need a partner. Someone with organizational skills...someone who can help me plot things out...someone..."
"Sneaky?"
"Exactly! So, how'd you like to step into the family business yourself? Join me, and make them pay. You in?"
Dieter takes a deep breath and looks up at the sky for a long moment. Then, he holds out his hand.
"In. All they way. To whatever end."

#19 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

No, go right ahead! I like where you're going with her. I tend to live in Boris' mind. (thud) Ouch! Dimmit! Banged my knee on something. Boy, it's really dark in here! :P

Hmmmmm. . .Boris’s mind is a wee bit too dark for me. I tend to live in Annabelle’s mind. . .so you and I make a good pair?! I really did create her last summer during the first season. . .so I usually know what she’s going to say and do. I’ve spun 1001 stories around her. . .and Boris. “Scheherazade” in the Hamptons!!

She doesn't let him get away with any of his controlling...ummm, excrement...does she? I like her!

I like her too. . .she’s a lot of what I want to be. . .when I grow up?! I think she’s evolving. She was probably much more easily intimidated. . .especially by him. . .early on in their relationship. I can see him encouraging her to stand up for herself in other situations. . .then being totally flummoxed when she started standing up to him?! And she was the ONLY one who could stand up to him. . .and get away with it?! Ah. . .love. . .!!!

Hmmmm, I think now she gets to make the rules. And she's going to ask the one thing that will be hardest for him to give...transparency.

Yeah. . .this is going to be a new dynamic for both of them?! So many possibilities. . .?! :rolleyes:

#20 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:18 PM

And he hates having that pointed out to him! It's one of his hot buttons.

The truth hurts?!

Oh, cute, and he knew it...and knew how to use it!

I found an old LIFE Magazine photo on the internet of Campbell Scott and his brother, along with his mother and father. . .but Campbell had his arm in front of his face?! He was six, and his brother was seven. . .I think? Anyway. . .his brother was just as cute as Christmas!! I WISH you could see Campbell’s face?! I imagine that little Boris had that angelic choir boy look. I imagine that he was also smart as a whip. . .and very tender-hearted.

The scene is a tiny graduate student apartment, 1986. Two men sit on cheap patio chairs on a balcony sipping beer. One is wearing a German soccer team jersey and cutoffs. The other, slightly older, is wearing gray slacks and a blue shirt, a tie and jacket thrown over a small grill.

"Dieter, thanks for coming over to the States. I know you don't have a lot of time off. I still can't believe you're teaching history at our old school! How do you like it?"
"Ah, it's fine. It's not what I want to do forever. I guess I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up."
"You know what tomorrow is, don't you?"
"Your 21st birthday. Congratulations. Sometimes I wondered if you'd make it this far!"
"Oh, shut up! Well, you know what that means, right?"
"Tomorrow you can actually buy your own beer?"
(Laughs) "Yes, that too. But, I was really talking about my trust. I gain full control tomorrow, along with a one third interest in Festung Bank. I attend my first board meeting on Monday."
"I don't know how you'll be able to sit across from the men who took advantage of your father. And, they've nearly driven the bank into the ground. (Pause) Still, a small part of me pities them. They think you're just some kid not even out of grad school. The poor bastards don't know who they're messing with."
"I'm going to get it all back, Dieter. I'm going to ruin every single one of them."
"I know, Boris. I can see it in your eyes. I know that look."
"You have as much reason to hate them as I do. It was because of them that your father had to work for Olga...on the condition that you went off to boarding school with me."
"That was ok. We had fun."
"Yes, but it hurt you to be away from your father...and to see him abused by her like he was. Look, I have the financial chops to do what I need to do. But I need a partner. Someone with organizational skills...someone who can help me plot things out...someone..."
"Sneaky?"
"Exactly! So, how'd you like to step into the family business yourself? Join me, and make them pay. You in?"
Dieter takes a deep breath and looks up at the sky for a long moment. Then, he holds out his hand.
"In. All they way. To whatever end."

Ever since they did the scene in the bank vault last season in “Nobody’s Perfect”. . .I had the feeling that Boris spent much of his adult life recovering those lost assets. And I had the feeling that Dieter was there with him every step of the way. I like your scenario! :blink:

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved