• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 smyrne

smyrne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:37 AM

I laughed my a.. off when I heard the lady in episode 10 butchering Turkish! I believe there are so many Turkish speaking people in the US, could have found one who could act... They obviously used google translate, she made no sense at all!! hopefully next time they won't go so cheap!!

#42 Covert500

Covert500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

The lady who played the English baddie was a pretty bad actress! :lol: I'm English and her accent seemed pretty all over the place as well, so I'd be disappointed if she is actually English, and not American. Piper's English accent pwns hers, lol!

I was also kinda amused by all the fake London scenes - and I've never seen Camden look like that before, lol!

#43 Scouters

Scouters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:06 PM

Augie sais that "as a former Eagle scout", he is incorrect, once you have gone through your Eagle Scout board of review, you are an Eagle scout forever, you can no longer be a "former Eagle scout"!

#44 FiRocks

FiRocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:19 AM

The moment for me was when Jai and Annie actually thought Ben sold out Sabine. They didn't see it for what it was, which was good trade craft. A way to get the hostage out without him getting harmed in the process. I mean I figured it out and I don't work for the CIA ;)

Posted Image

#45 MickBethFF

MickBethFF

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:45 AM

The moment for me was when Jai and Annie actually thought Ben sold out Sabine. They didn't see it for what it was, which was good trade craft. A way to get the hostage out without him getting harmed in the process. I mean I figured it out and I don't work for the CIA ;)

That was kind of a bizarre scene. When Annie and Jai thought they were sold out, my daughter and I looked at each other and both said "what are they doing - can't they figure out Ben is trying to get Sabine out safely????" It was such an obvious scene that he was working for them and not against them.

#46 Kat21

Kat21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:59 AM

Agree with you mostly, the show is weak in so many ways. But I would love to know where the wardrobe people find her suits! (My daughter is on Debate and Mock Trial and I'm on the look out for nice suits.

I would try J Crew. Awesome suits for women - I have a wardrobe of them.

#47 Kat21

Kat21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

The scenes in the finale where Ben and Annie are out-on-the-town in Colombo, Sri Lanka. I realize this is a silly one but it was so blatant, especially for female viewers. One minute she is walking with Ben through the crowded streets with her hair down, then in an updo, then down again and wavy-not curly, then in an updo again a second later. Was the continuity person sleeping in that day?

#48 Kat21

Kat21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

I would like to add -- when I grew up, the most famous Russian spy in the world -- Illya Kuryakin -- was played by a Scotsman, David McCallum.

I also love that his career has been so long; now portraying "Ducky" on NCIS.

#49 Covert500

Covert500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

Okay my fave bit was Annie's knowledge of yet another language, and when Annie is to Auggie "I know enough (Turkish) to get by" - so surely "where is the train station?" and "can I have a beer please" in Turkish would be enough to get by. I couldn't imagine that "we need to eliminate her" is something you just pick up on the streets! :lol: I know it's just to show Annie's abilities with languages etc, but it just amused me, lol!

That was kind of a bizarre scene. When Annie and Jai thought they were sold out, my daughter and I looked at each other and both said "what are they doing - can't they figure out Ben is trying to get Sabine out safely????" It was such an obvious scene that he was working for them and not against them.

Yeah it was obvious to me also :lol: although I guess with Ben's history of going rogue it is pretty easy to mistrust the dude and his intentions, and I still don't really know how good his intentions really were. Also, one thing I didn't understand was why the baddie dude was happy to let Ben take Sabine away ~to safety~ when it was Ben who rescued Sabine and went against the baddies the the first time round, lol!

Also, surely Joan and Arthur would have called in back-up rather than let Jai and Annie go alone to try rescue Sabine when only Jai is armed against who knows how many baddies! :lol: Oh and another thing - Jai's attempt at rescuing Sabine and shooting Ben was pretty feeble and inept. Why not sneak down a few more flights of stairs so they are at least out of earshot of the baddies before shouting "put the gun down Ben" at the top of their voices! :lol:

The scenes in the finale where Ben and Annie are out-on-the-town in Colombo, Sri Lanka. I realize this is a silly one but it was so blatant, especially for female viewers. One minute she is walking with Ben through the crowded streets with her hair down, then in an updo, then down again and wavy-not curly, then in an updo again a second later. Was the continuity person sleeping in that day?

I noticed that too :lol:

I STILL LOVE THIS SHOW THOUGH!!! lol

#50 gwalker001

gwalker001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:12 AM

I am getting really tired of watching shows that don't check the actors clothes, hair, etc from one scene to the next. During the episode of "When the Levee Breaks", Ben and Annie drop to the sand b/c Ben gets spooked of the fireworks....notice Annie's hair is pulled up...the next scene as they are walking to that little eatery, Annie's hair is completely down, and then at the eatery...her hair is pulled up....whoever is in charge of catching that stuff needs to be fired...I will do it for 1/2 the price!!!!

#51 dubaty

dubaty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

Let me start by saying that I enjoy this show and have watched with great pleasure as the characters develop. During episode #110, though, I had to replay a segment a couple of times to make sure I had heard correctly. Early in the episode, Annie is telling her sister that the school tour of the Smithsonian had been scheduled. Annie told her to let her niece know that "There's no Teddy Roosevelt and mischievious monkeys..." Really? Mischievious? When a slick show like Covert Affairs gets words wrong, it only serves to reinforce their continued use in public. The word is actually pronounced and spelled "mischievous." There is no third [i] in the word. I am not trying to be a curmudgeon, just pointing out a mistake; and you can't learn from a mistake if you don't even know you have made one.

#52 djohnson64055

djohnson64055

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

In the season finale Augie stated the he "was" and Eagle Scout. For future reference, Augie "is" an Eagle Scout. Once you get your Eagle you don't lose it.

Thank you,
Eagle Scout from 1989

#53 RFITCH702

RFITCH702

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

In the season finale Augie stated the he "was" and Eagle Scout. For future reference, Augie "is" an Eagle Scout. Once you get your Eagle you don't lose it.

Thank you,
Eagle Scout from 1989

I concur with this statement. I was glad to see a reference like this and I can easily imagine the character of Augie being and Eagle Scout. However, "once an Eagle, always an Eagle".

Eagle Scout 1973

#54 sullip

sullip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:42 AM

I know you need to suspend reality somtimes for dramatic effect. But what bugged me was the helicopter scenes at the end of the finale.

Our embassies are guaded by Marines. If they sent a helicoptor for an extraction:

A - it would have armed Marines on board, who can shoot at least as good as Jai.
I don't think the baddie would have lived to get a shot off at Ben.

B - even if Ben was shot. There would probably be a corpsman on board. Even the most inexperienced Marine could evaluate a wound and start an IV.
Annie would not have been allowed to just hold Ben. They would have been working on him, seconds after getting him on board. He is in the "golden Hour" for medical treatment and would have at least a 75% survival rate.

#55 katiekay

katiekay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:55 AM

#56 katiekay

katiekay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

I agree with you. I thought that Jai and Annie's behavior , their presense, actually caused the gun fight. Ben knew what he was doing and would have pulled off the trade quietly and effectively, if they (Jai and Annie) hadn't jumped the gun. Ben as been a key player or thread throughout the season. Annie and Ben should be lovers-afterall, didn't we just spend a season learning about their relationship? I think Jai feels inferior and is jealous. Jai's behavior in the last show was cowardly. What happened among the three men, Jai, Auggie, and Ben? Why is Jai so willing to kill Ben? In addition, old man Wilcox slapped his son in the face about who was a good CIA agent, not Jai, but rather Ben. Ben has to stay because he is the only one who knows the opperations of the terrorists, gun running, etc. and Ben probably has "dirt" on Jai, as well as, Arthur, Joan and Wilcox.

#57 katiekay

katiekay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:04 PM

I know you need to suspend reality somtimes for dramatic effect. But what bugged me was the helicopter scenes at the end of the finale.

Our embassies are guaded by Marines. If they sent a helicoptor for an extraction:

A - it would have armed Marines on board, who can shoot at least as good as Jai.
I don't think the baddie would have lived to get a shot off at Ben.

B - even if Ben was shot. There would probably be a corpsman on board. Even the most inexperienced Marine could evaluate a wound and start an IV.
Annie would not have been allowed to just hold Ben. They would have been working on him, seconds after getting him on board. He is in the "golden Hour" for medical treatment and would have at least a 75% survival rate.

#58 katiekay

katiekay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

I too noticed how incongruous the ending shot portrayed. As a rescue helicopter, I would think that there would be the presence of soldiers to help fight back, as well as, medics to immediately tend to the wounds of Ben.

#59 buntfu

buntfu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:17 AM

This show continuously reminds me of an 80's action show in which no characters really get hurt...There is never a bruise on annie after being beaten up quite a bit it kills the show.

#60 ATA

ATA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:06 AM

this is a message mostly to Matt Corman and Chris Ord, the writers of the show. Hi guys, first of all thanks for the great show! I've enjoyed it and keep looking forward to new episodes.

There's one thing however that keeps throwing me off. Sometimes when you use reference to actually existing countries things tend to get messed up. Sure, this is "just" an entertainment but surely it wasn't intended to be turned into a comedy once the show might get aired in any of the actual countries you use in your plots.

As someone who is actually familiar with Estonia, references to Estonians and Estonia unfortunately didn't make much sense to me in season 2-episode 1, (BTW like in S1-E1). I mean, OK, first of all if you use Russian names it doesn't really make sense to call them "Estonians" as we're dealing with completely separate language families. While Russian is an Indo-European/Slavic language, Estonian however belongs to the Finno-Ugric language family, and is related to Finnish. In other words, no "Estonian man" would bare such a Russian name like it was put in the show. But that's not where the fun part starts. Its in lines like Estonia joining the Euro zone and the "Estonian" tennis-player (whose looks in the show would make it an "exotic woman" for Estonian eyes), claims she can get good candy now because of Euro. I'm not sure what the intention was with it really but one thing is for sure, it would make some Estonians giggle. The other thing is that why would an Estonian "asset" suddenly need to get offered asylum in the States? As the country is a proud member of NATO, she would have been a national hero back at home where Russia&Kremlin is still often considered the historic enemy number 1. So unfortunately the final dialogue with the "Estonian" didn't also make much sense to someone who's familiar with the country and the people.

So I wish you guys luck and hope you'd dig into the topics you use in the show a bit deeper in the future to make it more believable. Thanks!

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved