20 replies to this topic

#1 MrsJonas14

MrsJonas14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

OMG :(
Why do we have to wait 2 weeks for the new episode? Nothing special is happening next Thursday....if they do this every week im gonna DIE :o
WHY WHY WHY WHY WHYYYYYYY??????

Edited by MrsJonas14, 01 July 2010 - 10:12 PM.

#2 superario

superario

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:01 PM

Why do we have to wait 2 weeks for the new episode? Nothing special is happening next Thursday....if they do this every week im gonna DIE :o

I was wondering the same. :| I don't know what the heck I'm going to do with myself until then...This new ep. tonight better be so damn good, to hold us off for two weeks.

#3 LizW

LizW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:26 AM

OMG Posted Image
Why do we have to wait 2 weeks for the new episode? Nothing special is happening next Thursday....if they do this every week im gonna DIE Posted Image

I believe it's because they are taking into account that many people go on vacation for the July 4th week. They have done this before for the week of other holidays.

#4 DramaQueenBroadway

DramaQueenBroadway

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

I thought the same thing too, because it's also happening to my other favorite shows on other networks...BN and Drop Dead Diva among them. But then in dawned on me...what's this Sunday? Why the 4th fo July!!! That's when many people go visit family, have cookouts, and the like. They probably don't want their loyal fans to miss anything so I think it's a good idea to wait the two weeks.

Shawn: I dazzle...I stretch...I dazzle and I stretch...
Shawn:Spell banana
Contestant:
Definition please?
Shawn:
A yellow fruit. Also a yellow pudding...a very delicious pudding.
Contestant:
Can you use it in a sentence please?
Shawn:Anna Banana would like to hear Venus by Bananarama....banana
Shawn-"don't be Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Marzipan"
Gus-"Azkaban"
Shawn-"I've heard it both ways!"
My name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner Gus "Silly Pants" Jackson
"Boom...boom boom...MUFFINS!!!!!"
"Boom...boom...boom THIS THING!!!!!"
"You don't call him Binky?"
"We do now!"
Shawn: Hello my name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner M.C. Clap Your Handz
WARNING: DATES ON CALANDER ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR
"I love due dates. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by"
DramaQueenBroadway: All of the Law...none of the Order!
Twitter: @DramaQueenDiva

Youtube: KAASL4

#5 Beholder

Beholder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:18 PM

Ditto the vacation thing. IMO, a lot of working folk , like me, had today off as the "holiday" and to just have to only tack on 4 days vacation... :) :)

B
Doesn't mean I like waiting though...hey, I only took this past Friday off!

Edited by Beholder, 05 July 2010 - 09:20 PM.

#6 Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:07 AM

There were likely two factors this time:

1. The week that includes the July 4 weekend is traditionally the lowest-rated week viewer-wise of the entire year, mainly because many people use that week to go on vacation. This was a week NBC actually won the ratings a couple of years ago with America's Got Talent only getting a 7.4 rating, at the time the lowest rating ever for the #1-rated show of ANY week in Nielsen history. The only reason "CI" had its finale this week (which got a 2.9 rating and probably would have done better in other weeks) was because I believe that finale was originally scheduled for next Tuesday (7/13), but USA Network wanted to move up the season premiere of White Collar and premiere of Covert Affiars by one week to counter several premieres taking place next week on TNT (and also to get in one extra episode of each of those shows prior to the week before and after Labor Day, as both of those weeks will likely be repeats so they are not opposite US Open Tennis coverage on ESPN and the fact those are both big back-to-school weeks in many major cities).

2. NBC-Universal may have had advance notice that LeBron James was planning to make his announcement on his turning out to going to the Miami Heat on Thursday. ESPN already had a one-hour special called The Decision planned to air on Thursday, and the fact LeBron used that special to make his announcement likely would have taken away a considerable number of sports fans and others, as LeBron's announcement in this case was going to not only affect those that follow sports, but in many cases follow the business pages even if they don't follow sports (stock in Madison Square Garden actually jumped close to 6% ahead of the announcement when it was thought LeBron would sign with the Knicks), staying with ESPN for a greatly-expanded edition of Sportscenter afterwards where they got tons of reaction to LeBron's accouncement.

Edited by Wallyhorse, 09 July 2010 - 12:17 AM.

Walt

Want to discuss stuff that isn't on USA Network or television for that matter? Join me (where I'm a moderator) on the NEW Too Smart To Fail Forum by clicking here!

#7 Amentos

Amentos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:30 AM

There's an empty place in my heart where last night's episode should be. :(

#8 Summer_Fun

Summer_Fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

OH MY GAWD! USA is not going to make two hours' worth of programming decision on the basis of what LeBron James might do, even if they (totally unbelieveably) had enough notice to do so. I get that you think the sun turns around sports schedules, but that you'd even contemplate the possibility that a July 4th week pre-emption (which is pretty commonplace on cable) would have anything whatsoever to do with a short announcement by an overpaid basketball player's desire to nurse it for attention doesn't pass the laugh test.

#9 Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

There's an empty place in my heart where last night's episode should be. :(

Given the LeBron James special on ESPN scored a 7.0 rating last night from what I heard (and if that is correct, that is actually a higher rating than the one NBA FINAL LeBron actually played in for the Cavaliers that aired on ABC), NBC-Universal clearly made the right decision NOT to air either Burn Notice or Royal Pains last night, as both shows would have lost a considerable number of viewers to the LeBron special and subsequent super-expanded edition of Sportscenter on ESPN that between them ran from 9:00 PM-12:30 AM ET.

Edited by Wallyhorse, 09 July 2010 - 02:34 PM.

Walt

Want to discuss stuff that isn't on USA Network or television for that matter? Join me (where I'm a moderator) on the NEW Too Smart To Fail Forum by clicking here!

#10 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:32 PM

Given the LeBron James special on ESPN scored a 7.0 rating last night from what I heard (and if that is correct, that is actually a higher rating than the one NBA FINAL LeBron actually played in for the Cavaliers that aired on ABC), NBC-Universal clearly made the right decision NOT to air either Burn Notice or Royal Pains last night, as both shows would have lost a considerable number of viewers to the LeBron special and subsequent super-expanded edition of Sportscenter on ESPN that between them ran from 9:00 PM-12:30 AM ET.

Wally. . .I think you’re arguing against your own argument?! You said yourself that “the week that includes the July 4 weekend is traditionally the lowest-rated week viewer-wise of the entire year, mainly because many people use that week to go on vacation.” I think the decision to not air a new episode on July 8th was made LONG before the whole LeBron James thing came up. They announced back in either May or June that they would be airing 12 episodes this summer, starting on June 3 and ending on August 26. Do the math. There are 13 Thursday’s between June 3 and August 26. . .so
. . .they had to skip one week?!
:blink:

Edited by ddanne, 09 July 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#11 Summer_Fun

Summer_Fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

You don't know that because BN and RP weren't an available choice. What choice people would have made were they on is entirely supposition.

#12 Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

Wally. . .I think you’re arguing against your own argument?! You said yourself that “the week that includes the July 4 weekend is traditionally the lowest-rated week viewer-wise of the entire year, mainly because many people use that week to go on vacation.” I think the decision to not air a new episode on July 8th was made LONG before the whole LeBron James thing came up. They announced back in either May or June that they would be airing 12 episodes this summer, starting on June 3 and ending on August 26. Do the math. There are 13 Thursday’s between June 3 and August 26. . .so
. . .they had to skip one week?!
:blink:

That is true, I'm arguing against myself here, however, I do think in this case even if NBC-Universal had originally planned to run new episodes that night, they would have scrapped it at the last minute due to the LeBron announcement or faced both BN and RP seeing major drops in their ratings. It's quite possible the LeBron special on ESPN with its 7.0 rating will actually win the week of July 11 overall (broadcast or cable) given it is the lowest-rated week of the year viewership wise, and for NBC-Universal, it's a good thing they likely already had repeats scheduled because USA would have been killed otherwise by the LeBron announcement.
Walt

#13 Summer_Fun

Summer_Fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:05 AM

That's patently ridiculous! Networks simply don't junk programming on the supposition there might be a big draw in ONE time zone that would pull viewers. It's far more credible that the announcement would have scant effect on their program's ratings, particularly considering it didn't affect three other broadcast blocks.

#14 Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:15 AM

That's patently ridiculous! Networks simply don't junk programming on the supposition there might be a big draw in ONE time zone that would pull viewers. It's far more credible that the announcement would have scant effect on their program's ratings, particularly considering it didn't affect three other broadcast blocks.

In this case, it's two time zones (Eastern and Central), not one, and it's two time zones that cover about 65-70% of the country ratings wise. The LeBron announcement was a one-hour special on ESPN that was as noted immediately followed afterwards by a greatly expanded edition of Sportscenter that in the case of the latter almost certainly was the most-watched such show (except for possibly following an NFL game as NFL games have repeated broken all ratings records for cable since Monday Night Football moved to ESPN in 2006) in the 31-year history of ESPN. This is a case where if I were at NBC-Universal and originally had new episodes of RP and BN scheduled on Thursday on USA Network, I would have bailed out of those extremely fast because of the LeBron announcement, which as noted was not just about sports as it held a huge amount of interest in the business community, especially among high-income viewers who in many cases have investments that directly or otherwise were tied to where LeBron signed.

The 7.0 rating for The Decision on ESPN Thursday night speaks for itself.

Edited by Wallyhorse, 10 July 2010 - 01:16 AM.

Walt

#15 Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

And to follow up on this:

That 7.0 rating I mentioned for the LeBron special on ESPN was in fact the highest-rated show for the week of July 5-11, 2010, regardless of whether that show aired on broadcast OR cable. I suspect those at NBC-Universal had the hindsight not to schedule new episodes of BN or RP on Thursday 7/8 because both would have been killed by the LeBron special and expanded Sportscenter that aired afterwards (and as said, if it were me and I had new episodes scheduled originally, I would have yanked them because I knew the LeBron special would have killed them).

Walt

#16 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

And to follow up on this:

That 7.0 rating I mentioned for the LeBron special on ESPN was in fact the highest-rated show for the week of July 5-11, 2010, regardless of whether that show aired on broadcast OR cable. I suspect those at NBC-Universal had the hindsight not to schedule new episodes of BN or RP on Thursday 7/8 because both would have been killed by the LeBron special and expanded Sportscenter that aired afterwards (and as said, if it were me and I had new episodes scheduled originally, I would have yanked them because I knew the LeBron special would have killed them).

Oh Wally. . .SERIOUSLY. . .LeBron has left the building. . .and apparently, Cleveland?! You’re not going to convince anyone here that USA decided NOT to air new episodes of “Burn Notice” and “Royal Pains” on July 8th based solely on LeBron James and his dumb-ass announcement?! That decision was made back in May or June. . .they were ALWAYS going to skip one Thursday?! And I guess it’s just the schoolteacher in me. . .but HINDSIGHT means AFTER the fact. I think you probably meant FORESIGHT. . .otherwise, your argument REALLY doesn’t make any sense?! :blink:

Edited by ddanne, 19 July 2010 - 07:19 AM.

#17 Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:31 PM

Oh Wally. . .SERIOUSLY. . .LeBron has left the building. . .and apparently, Cleveland?! You’re not going to convince anyone here that USA decided NOT to air new episodes of “Burn Notice” and “Royal Pains” on July 8th based solely on LeBron James and his stupid-ass announcement?! That decision was made back in May or June. . .they were ALWAYS going to skip one Thursday?! And I guess it’s just the schoolteacher in me. . .but HINDSIGHT means AFTER the fact. I think you probably meant FORESIGHT. . .otherwise, your argument REALLY doesn’t make any sense?! :blink:

You're right, foresight is the correct term (that's what I get for writing a post in the middle of a break from a transcription job that had bad audio :P :P ).

Anyway, while yes, the holiday week was a factor, it was no secret that Thursday 7/8 was the first day free agents in the NBA could talk money with new teams. Because of the business aspect of LeBron (as noted above, stock in Madison Square Garden jumped 6% solely on news he might sign with the Knicks a couple of days before he went to the Heat), this announcement transcended sports in a way we probably will never see again, and a lot of high income viewers if not away on vacation were going to be watching what LeBron did because in many cases it would have a direct impact on their investments. That's why I say NBC-Universal and USA Network had the foresight to not schedule new episodes of BN and RP on Thursday 7/8, as while at the time they didn't know there would be a special, they did know that the interest in LeBron was a very unique situation and that was again the first day free agents could talk money with clubs.

Walt

#18 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

You're right, foresight is the correct term (that's what I get for writing a post in the middle of a break from a transcription job that had bad audio :P :P ).

Anyway, while yes, the holiday week was a factor, it was no secret that Thursday 7/8 was the first day free agents in the NBA could talk money with new teams. Because of the business aspect of LeBron (as noted above, stock in Madison Square Garden jumped 6% solely on news he might sign with the Knicks a couple of days before he went to the Heat), this announcement transcended sports in a way we probably will never see again, and a lot of high income viewers if not away on vacation were going to be watching what LeBron did because in many cases it would have a direct impact on their investments. That's why I say NBC-Universal and USA Network had the foresight to not schedule new episodes of BN and RP on Thursday 7/8, as while at the time they didn't know there would be a special, they did know that the interest in LeBron was a very unique situation and that was again the first day free agents could talk money with clubs.

Oh Wally. . .you are just incorrigible?! Did you know that last year USA did NOT air a new episode of “Royal Pains” on July 2? And I’m betting that next summer, they’ll be skipping July 7. . .assuming that “Royal Pains” gets picked up for a third seasion. . .please God?! You said it yourself. . .”The week that includes the July 4 weekend is traditionally the lowest-rated week viewer-wise of the entire year, mainly because many people use that week to go on vacation.” Last year? NO LEBRON JAMES?! Next year? NO LEBRON JAMES?! Face it, Wally. . .LeBron has indeed left the building?! :blink:

#19 Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

Oh Wally. . .you are just incorrigible?! Did you know that last year USA did NOT air a new episode of “Royal Pains” on July 2? And I’m betting that next summer, they’ll be skipping July 7. . .assuming that “Royal Pains” gets picked up for a third seasion. . .please God?! You said it yourself. . .”The week that includes the July 4 weekend is traditionally the lowest-rated week viewer-wise of the entire year, mainly because many people use that week to go on vacation.” Last year? NO LEBRON JAMES?! Next year? NO LEBRON JAMES?! Face it, Wally. . .LeBron has indeed left the building?! :blink:

You're absolutely right, as was proven by the "CI" finale only getting 2.9 million viewers in their first airings (the "CI" finale I believe was originally scheduled for Tuesday 7/13 before USA Network moved up the premieres scheduled for July 20 and 21 by one week to counter the premieres on TNT). That does not change the fact, however, that the LeBron special not only got a 7.0 rating on Thursday 7/8 on ESPN, it marked the first time in memory that any show on cable wound up being the overall #1-rated program of the week over every single program that aired on over-the-air networks (excluding Monday Night Football on ESPN, which has repeatedly shattered all cable ratings records since MNF moved from ABC to ESPN in 2006 and often makes ESPN a fifth network on Mondays in the fall), mainly due to the unique nature of how his announcement affected not only sports, but business in so many ways.

NBC-Universal was very lucky they already had planned not to air BN and RP on USA on Thursday 7/8 because of it traditionally being a low-rated week as had they done so, both shows would have been killed by the LeBron special and subsequent severely expanded Sportscenter on ESPN, and if it had been up to me in that scenario I would have actually yanked the scheduled airings of both and pushed their finales back (or gone with one less episode) later this summer.

Walt

#20 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

You're absolutely right, as was proven by the "CI" finale only getting 2.9 million viewers in their first airings (the "CI" finale I believe was originally scheduled for Tuesday 7/13 before USA Network moved up the premieres scheduled for July 20 and 21 by one week to counter the premieres on TNT). That does not change the fact, however, that the LeBron special not only got a 7.0 rating on Thursday 7/8 on ESPN, it marked the first time in memory that any show on cable wound up being the overall #1-rated program of the week over every single program that aired on over-the-air networks (excluding Monday Night Football on ESPN, which has repeatedly shattered all cable ratings records since MNF moved from ABC to ESPN in 2006 and often makes ESPN a fifth network on Mondays in the fall), mainly due to the unique nature of how his announcement affected not only sports, but business in so many ways.

NBC-Universal was very lucky they already had planned not to air BN and RP on USA on Thursday 7/8 because of it traditionally being a low-rated week as had they done so, both shows would have been killed by the LeBron special and subsequent severely expanded Sportscenter on ESPN, and if it had been up to me in that scenario I would have actually yanked the scheduled airings of both and pushed their finales back (or gone with one less episode) later this summer.

Wally. . .I don’t even know what else there is to say?! Did the guy on the grassy knoll have anything to do with LeBron James?! LeBron is ONE person! One greedy, egotistical person. And if he really, REALLY has the kind of power you’re giving him credit for. . .then God help us all?! And a pox upon you for even THINKING about going with one less episode because of LeBron James?!?! :blink: :blink: :blink:

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved