• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Alli6565

Alli6565

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:37 PM

Who researched the Cuba episode before writing the script?

This was the WORST episode I've ever seen. It was all LIES! Cuba is nothing like it was portrayed!! There is no medicine, no restaurants, no bars on the beach, no social life, no FREEDOM! The buildings are all run down and the cars don't run!

Let me guess, you filmed this episode in Puerto Rico or on a set in FANTASY land. The next time you decide to portray today's Cuba....make sure you know what you're talking about.

#2 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

This was the WORST episode I've ever seen. It was all LIES! Cuba is nothing like it was portrayed!! There is no medicine, no restaurants, no bars on the beach, no social life, no FREEDOM! The buildings are all run down and the cars don't run!

Let me guess, you filmed this episode in Puerto Rico or on a set in FANTASY land. The next time you decide to portray today's Cuba....make sure you know what you're talking about.

This is starting to get tiresome. Tourism in Cuba attracts over 2 million people a year, and is one of the main sources of revenue for the island. If there are no restaurants, bars, beaches, etc. . .where in the HECK are all those people staying, and what in the HECK are they doing while they’re there?! If you feel that strongly. . .just don’t watch anymore?! A lot of fans. . .myself included. . .enjoyed “Medusa” and are looking forward to “Mano a Mano”.

“Royal Pains” is fiction, folks. . .it’s not a documentary?! (And the two Cuba episodes were, in fact, filmed in Puerto Rico.)
:blink:

Edited by ddanne, 28 June 2010 - 09:17 PM.

#3 Alli6565

Alli6565

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

This is starting to get tiresome. Tourism in Cuba attracts over 2 million people a year, and is one of the main sources of revenue for the island. If there are no restaurants, bars, beaches, etc. . .where in the HECK are all those people staying, and what in the HECK are they doing while they're there?! If you feel that strongly. . .just don't watch anymore?! A lot of fans. . .myself included. . .enjoyed "Medusa" and are looking forward to "Mano a Mano".

"Royal Pains" is fiction, folks. . .it's not a documentary?! (And it was in fact, filmed in Puerto Rico.)
Posted Image

#4 Alli6565

Alli6565

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

You're right, there is a small area of the island that is used strictly for tourism. Cubans who live on the island are restricted from that area, unless they work at tourist places. It's completely miss leading, it is not the real Cuba.

I realize this is not a documentary, but for those of us who had to leave our home land because of Fidel Castro, this BS episode is nothing but insulting and hurtful. Maybe you'd feel a little differently if you had family members thrown into prisons and tortured for not believing in Fidel. Or if you had your business and home taken away from you by your government.

#5 superario

superario

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:30 PM

Hi. I can't say that I have family members from Cuba (although I do know a Cuban girl, but that's irrelevant...)but like ddanne said, this is REALLY starting to get old fast. You have a right to your own opinion, and if you didn't like it, that's totally fine. But some of us did, and it's kind of annoying how people keep posting new topics about how much they hated it. So please. If you don't like something, don't bother watching it. And let the people who enjoy it, do.

#6 Alli6565

Alli6565

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:35 PM

Hi. I can't say that I have family members from Cuba (although I do know a Cuban girl, but that's irrelevant...)but like ddanne said, this is REALLY starting to get old fast. You have a right to your own opinion, and if you didn't like it, that's totally fine. But some of us did, and it's kind of annoying how people keep posting new topics about how much they hated it. So please. If you don't like something, don't bother watching it. And let the people who enjoy it, do.

#7 Alli6565

Alli6565

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

I already decided not to watch any more shows about this fantasy version of Cuba. But I will continue to post the TRUTH! To your point, if you don't like what I'm writing, don't read it.

USA is free to completely mislead the public by airing episodes of a false Cuba. In turn, I'm free to post the TRUTH!

I hope you will continue to enjoy the show.....I just don't want anyone to think there is any reality is how Cuba is being portrayed.

Overall, this is an entertaining show and I look forward to seeing episodes that don't include Cuba.

#8 Bagpipe_Mouse

Bagpipe_Mouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:45 PM

Maybe the best thing to do would be to have a designated thread about issues regarding the reality of Cuba, how it compares to the show, and wether or not the use of Cuba as a location for a story line is in good taste or not. Then, people who wanted to discuss or debate the issue could do so on that thread, and the other threads could be solely for discussing the show as a piece of fiction.

Any moderators listening?

#9 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:35 PM

You're right, there is a small area of the island that is used strictly for tourism. Cubans who live on the island are restricted from that area, unless they work at tourist places. It's completely miss leading, it is not the real Cuba.

I realize this is not a documentary, but for those of us who had to leave our home land because of Fidel Castro, this BS episode is nothing but insulting and hurtful. Maybe you'd feel a little differently if you had family members thrown into prisons and tortured for not believing in Fidel. Or if you had your business and home taken away from you by your government.

I am sorry if you and your family suffered because of the Castro regime. I lived through the Cuban Missile Crisis. I remember sitting on the floor in my grandmother’s living room, in front of her black and white tv, watching President Kennedy tell Khruschev to turn the ships around. . .and being afraid to go to sleep that night because I thought we were all going to die. So Cuba has always been a hot button issue for me. I do understand that conditions in Cuba are not ideal, but I honestly didn’t think that “Royal Pains” was glorifying the Castro regime. Our perspectives are very different, and that always makes it difficult to find a middle ground.

#10 SketchyJawa

SketchyJawa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:39 PM

I respect the Original Poster's view, but I have to agree with Ddanne and SuperArio: This show is fiction. Suspension of disbelief is almost necessary to enjoy shows like this. While I admit to being very ill-educated as to the state of Cuba, healthcare-wise or otherwise, I'm truly sorry that the reality is so lousy. But Royal Pains, like so many other scripted shows, is pure escapism. An escape from reality. While maybe the writers possibly should have chosen a different location, my advice is to just roll with it or simply boycott the next episode, especially if you like this show otherwise. One more episode, and I doubt we'll ever see Cuba again on Royal Pains. In conclusion, I am sorry this has been such a controversial issue for so many people, but If you're going to fault the writers for anything it should be ignorance and not intentional political propaganda. This is hardly the forum to instigate change in Cuba's political arena.
Utinni!

#11 RoyalPainsFan

RoyalPainsFan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:58 PM

I already decided not to watch any more shows about this fantasy version of Cuba. But I will continue to post the TRUTH! To your point, if you don't like what I'm writing, don't read it.

USA is free to completely mislead the public by airing episodes of a false Cuba. In turn, I'm free to post the TRUTH!

I hope you will continue to enjoy the show.....I just don't want anyone to think there is any reality is how Cuba is being portrayed.

Overall, this is an entertaining show and I look forward to seeing episodes that don't include Cuba.

I'm sure these episodes can be very hurtful for people who have family who have suffered under Castro. Perhaps the writers could have chosen a better locale, but I don't think they meant to be offensive. I think they, well, they just didn't think. I'm sure the Cuba storyline will be over soon and the show will be back to normal.

#12 Bill_The_Cat

Bill_The_Cat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

who among us wouldn't feel the same way under similar circumstances?

it's a shame

THPPT ........ACK

#13 DramaQueenBroadway

DramaQueenBroadway

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

You're absolutely right...it was filmed in Puerto Rico. I know this for a few reasons:
1.) Since Castro's.....rule, for lack of a better word, Americans haven't been allowed to travel to Cuba. I'm not sure of all the history behind it, but my Dad and I were talking about this the other day. My dad's a history buff, so I figured if anyone knew, it would be him. However, I forgot some of what he said, so I won't say anything here, because I'm sure if I got something wrong, I would get a lot of rap for it.
2.) I've heard that,since Castro's time, a lot of the cars...and I mean this in the nicest way....look like they're from the 1980's at best. The cars that they had in the episode were all nice, shiney looking cars from the 1950's. I've heard that the cars in Cuba would look nothing like that.
3.) I've been to Puerto Rico and to some of the places where they filmed the episode!!!! I've been on 15 cruises, and have been by Cuba but haven't been allowed to stop because I was an American travelling on an American cruise line....had either of these not been the case, I might have been allowed to stop in Cuba. They filmed the episode in Old San Juan. I believe I've been to the market place where Evan did all of his trading, and I know I've been to that terrace where they filmed the second to the last scene with Mindy.

Anyways, those are just some of the things that kind of irked me about this episode. I'm sure they didn't mean any disrespect to anyone who suffered under the Castro regime or the Cuban Missile Crisis. However, they may not have had a choice as to wheather or not to film in Puerto Rico. Many times Puerto Rico has to double for Cuba, beause, like I said before, Americans aren't allowed to travel to Cuba. However, if they're going to film in Puerto Rico, they might not want to make it so obvious to the people who live in or travelled to Puerto Rico or Cuba, that they're not actually filming in Cuba. I understand that it's all fantasy, but some people may be nit-picky about this...just something to consider....

Edited by DramaQueenBroadway, 07 July 2010 - 12:09 AM.

Shawn: I dazzle...I stretch...I dazzle and I stretch...
Shawn:Spell banana
Contestant:
Definition please?
Shawn:
A yellow fruit. Also a yellow pudding...a very delicious pudding.
Contestant:
Can you use it in a sentence please?
Shawn:Anna Banana would like to hear Venus by Bananarama....banana
Shawn-"don't be Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Marzipan"
Gus-"Azkaban"
Shawn-"I've heard it both ways!"
My name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner Gus "Silly Pants" Jackson
"Boom...boom boom...MUFFINS!!!!!"
"Boom...boom...boom THIS THING!!!!!"
"You don't call him Binky?"
"We do now!"
Shawn: Hello my name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner M.C. Clap Your Handz
WARNING: DATES ON CALANDER ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR
"I love due dates. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by"
DramaQueenBroadway: All of the Law...none of the Order!
Twitter: @DramaQueenDiva

Youtube: KAASL4

#14 mingo77212

mingo77212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

I agree with the responses to the comment, but the original post has a right to her opinion and to air it freely. That being said, I wouldn't completely discard the Cuba episodes without having even seen the next episode. From what I can glean, it has to do with a dissident on the island who has no access to health care, which maybe evens out the playing field a bit as far as opinions on how Cuba should or should not be portrayed. I am also of Cuban descent, and have family who were political prisioners after the Bay of Pigs invasion, but it's about time we start thinking of ways to bridge our differences and accept that there are good and bad things about the regime/revolution, just like there are good and bad things in our own beautiful, conflicted land of the free. I, for one, am looking forward to the ep tonight!!

#15 LizW

LizW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:39 AM

I see what you mean. But for all those people who have never been to Cuba or Puerto Rico they were hoping they wouldn't know the difference.

On the 2nd Cuba episode- The night scene outside Boris House on the island had Coqui's (small frog that sings all night) in the background. There is only one place in the world where they live...Puerto Rico!

They should have just said they were going to Puerto Rico in the first place and not try to "fake" it.

Edited by LizW, 02 July 2010 - 01:03 AM.

#16 easyreader

easyreader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

I have watched this show from the beginning trying really hard to pretend that a doctor that does not come from a position of money and power could actually end up in a good place and not battling a wrongful death lawsuit and blacklisted, hoping to end up working in a place like Cuba. The Cuba episode really left me with my head spinning. Evan getting kidnapped to get medical assistance in a country that has better infant survival rates than the U.S.A is wild. Then Dr. hank that wonderful upbeat character that we root for is the only one capable of making a medical diagnosis, Really!!!. As a person who has spent years battling an undiagnosed illness before the doctor that completed the bakers dozen figuring it out and helping me. I find this hard to believe. I know that this show is for entertainment purposes, but come on. The best writers do research.

#17 ddanne

ddanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

I have watched this show from the beginning trying really hard to pretend that a doctor that does not come from a position of money and power could actually end up in a good place and not battling a wrongful death lawsuit and blacklisted, hoping to end up working in a place like Cuba. The Cuba episode really left me with my head spinning. Evan getting kidnapped to get medical assistance in a country that has better infant survival rates than the U.S.A is wild. Then Dr. hank that wonderful upbeat character that we root for is the only one capable of making a medical diagnosis, Really!!!. As a person who has spent years battling an undiagnosed illness before the doctor that completed the bakers dozen figuring it out and helping me. I find this hard to believe. I know that this show is for entertainment purposes, but come on. The best writers do research.

OK. . .so. . .what’s your point?!?! Hank was a rising star before the billionaire hospital trustee died
. . .so his talent could have taken him anywhere, whether he came from a position of power and money or not. As far as legal troubles. . .I’m assuming that Boris had something to do with clearing Hank’s name. . .and I’m honestly not sure that there were really grounds for a wrongful death lawsuit, or Hank being blacklisted. I actually think that Hank had grounds for a wrongful termination lawsuit?! About Cuba. . .again, that was all Boris. Boris “renditioned” him to Cuba to work with Dr. Casseras, the geneticist that was involved with Boris. . .and his mystery disease. Hank didn’t diagnose Boris
. . .but he did save his life. I quite frankly don’t find that all that hard to believe!! Hank did, after all, work in an emergency room. . .saving crashing patients was what he was trained to do?! Evan’s kidnapping in Cuba? They explained that?! The Cuban dissident COULD NOT go to the hospital
. . .period. He could have been arrested. You are right about ONE thing. . .”Royal Pains" is supposed to be entertaining. . .it’s not a documentary?! Suspension of disbelief, people!!! Use it wisely. . .but use it!!!
:blink:

Edited by ddanne, 02 July 2010 - 10:19 AM.

#18 DramaQueenBroadway

DramaQueenBroadway

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

I see what you mean. But for all those people who have never been to Cuba or Puerto Rico they were hoping they wouldn't know the difference.

On the 2nd Cuba episode- The night scene outside Boris House on the island had Coqui's (small frog that sings all night) in the background. There is only one place in the world where they live...Puerto Rico!

They should have just said they were going to Puerto Rico in the first place and not try to "fake" it.

Oh yeah I almost forgot about the Coqui tree frogs!!!! I went on a tour in Puerto Rico and also heard that Puerto Rico is the ONLY place in the world where they live!!!!

Shawn: I dazzle...I stretch...I dazzle and I stretch...
Shawn:Spell banana
Contestant:
Definition please?
Shawn:
A yellow fruit. Also a yellow pudding...a very delicious pudding.
Contestant:
Can you use it in a sentence please?
Shawn:Anna Banana would like to hear Venus by Bananarama....banana
Shawn-"don't be Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Marzipan"
Gus-"Azkaban"
Shawn-"I've heard it both ways!"
My name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner Gus "Silly Pants" Jackson
"Boom...boom boom...MUFFINS!!!!!"
"Boom...boom...boom THIS THING!!!!!"
"You don't call him Binky?"
"We do now!"
Shawn: Hello my name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner M.C. Clap Your Handz
WARNING: DATES ON CALANDER ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR
"I love due dates. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by"
DramaQueenBroadway: All of the Law...none of the Order!
Twitter: @DramaQueenDiva

Youtube: KAASL4

#19 BBB

BBB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

Ok, so what I would like to know is what makes a country like Cuba with one of the worst human rights records in the history of history so appealing to this country that a show, which I happen to enjoy, has joined the misinformation league. Cuba is oppressive. Its people live in fear. There is no free enterprise of any kind. Doctors are paid dismal salaries and hospitals are severely short of supplies. Why is Royal Pains engaging in propaganda for the Castro Regime. And yes, I am Cuban so I know of what I speak!!!

#20 superario

superario

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:04 PM

Ok, so what I would like to know is what makes a country like Cuba with one of the worst human rights records in the history of history so appealing to this country that a show, which I happen to enjoy, has joined the misinformation league. Cuba is oppressive. Its people live in fear. There is no free enterprise of any kind. Doctors are paid dismal salaries and hospitals are severely short of supplies. Why is Royal Pains engaging in propaganda for the Castro Regime. And yes, I am Cuban so I know of what I speak!!!

Okay, again with this? Seriously? I know you have every right to express your own opinion, but I am so down right sick of people posting 10,000 threads in Cuba's honor, about how much they hated it. If you've got something to say about it, please, keep it in the other, previously-posted Cuba threads. We don't need this many. Seriously.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved