#61 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

Matt Nix chat, part 2

Guest Stars

Q. Are there any more "reunion" episodes planned, like “The Pretender”?

MN: They tend to happen organically. You don't really think about it, and then you realize - oh, hey, this is a reunion from a particular show or movie. Tyne Daly was on purpose, though.

Q. You've had Burt Reynolds. Any other older great stars in the works for future episodes?

MN: Not specifically - we cast by part more than actor. But more and more cool folks are aware of the show and interested.

Q. Any chance for Bradley Whitford or Colin Hanks to guest on Burn Notice? Or the car?

MN: Well... the short answer is yes and no. We tried to have Bradley on this year but he was not available when we needed him. So hopefully in the future. I'd love to have Colin on but never asked because he was on Dexter and he'd just had a baby. As for the Trans-Am, it is currently sitting in my driveway. Got it back from the shop today, and the electrical system is still shot. So if you know anyone in LA who is good with 1980 Trans Ams let me know.

Q. Any chance of the actor Michael Weston coming back? Not only was that a great character, but I loved the double Michaels!

MN: We've discussed it, yes. He's a great guy, and a terrific actor. Stories with him have been pitched, they just haven't gone all the way through.

Q. I agree, the ACTOR Michael Weston was great. He should come back too. Loved the episode he was in!

MN: Yeah, that was a fun one. A bit of a departure for us in some ways... but a great guy. Sounds like we may need to look seriously at a return.

Q. Are you going to let your son do any more acting?

MN: Well, he was on the Good Guys. And my daughter - also adorable - also did an episode this year. And she did the Good Guys as well. They like it. But they're not eager to go on auditions or anything. i think it's just fun to come to Dad's work.

Recurring Characters/Cover IDs

Q. Is Larry dead?

MN: Yes, Larry is dead. My wife has a rule that I'm not allowed to do TV shows with fake-out deaths. I suppose I could fight that, but it would make my home life difficult.

Q. I'm sad Dead Larry is actually dead. But the newspaper at the end of the episode only said 2 dead. I thought there were 3 in the building?

MN: Ah, yes... the idea is that Larry was incinerated. T4 is some powerful stuff.

Q. Is Tim happy now that he doesn't have to act WHILE he's directing anymore?

MN: Tim loves both. He’d operate the camera too if we let him.

Q. Why was Jay Karnes' killed off? That made me so sad. He was my favorite villain/recurring character ever! Please tell him that!

MN: I will. Jay has become a really good friend of mine. It's kind of odd saying to your good friend "Um... Dude, I don't know how to tell you this, but we're killing you. With a knife. In the chest. Oh, by the way, you wanna bring the kids over for dinner Friday?"

Q. I'd love to see Michael and Fi work with Seymour again. Can he come back? I was in stitches his episodes!

MN: We are talking about doing just that in Season 6! No promises, because we've got to work stuff out with the actor, but we love him. Oddly, about a year before he became Seymour, I met him in a bar. Didn't even know he was an actor. He was just a guy drinking tequila who knew a lot about politics.

Q. What is the possibility that Kendra makes a comeback? I liked her and would love to see her come back again, even if for an episode.

MN: Do you mean Carla? Kendra doesn’t ring a bell…

Q. By Kendra I mean the season 4 Kendra, the assassin, she was in 3 episodes "Entry Point" "Neighborhood Watch" and Breach of Faith". Will she make any comebacks? I really liked her and would love to see her come back.

MN: Wow! My bad. So sorry... I just forgot her name. We loved writing for her, too. No specific plans, but now that you mention it... Wasn't her interrogation scene awesome!?

Q. I think the actress who played Kendra is Navi Rawat. Yes, she was really good. So, any chance Matt?

MN: Yes, Navi is great. We loved her a lot. I just forgot her character name because we called her "Navi" around the office.

Q. You don't remember Kendra?

MN: Yes, I am apologizing to everyone for that - I just forgot the character name. There are some people we refer to by actor name, and some people we refer to by character name. She was an actor name person.

Q. What has happened to Barry?

MN: The actor who plays Barry moved to LA, making it harder to put him in episodes regularly. So he went from a guy we could just throw into an episode whenever we wanted to a guest star who had to fly in. We love him - it's just a practical question.

Q. My favorite episode is "Friendly Fire" are we ever going to see the return of Michael's "Lewis" ? *snap*

MN: Lewis is one of our favorites, too. I imagine we'll bring him back at some point. So much awesome there.

Q. Will Michael's character Johnny make another appearance?

MN: He's one of our faves, so hopefully, yes.

Edited by Karendipitee, 07 December 2011 - 08:52 PM.

Signature courtesy of DuctTape

#62 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

Matt Nix chat, part 3

Current Storylines

Q. In what direction do you see the show going, now that Michael has found the final "key" in his being burned..? Or is Anson NOT the last man?

MN: We've got plans... I don't want to give too much away. You gotta watch the season finale before I tell anyone what we're thinking. Big season finale. BIG.

Q. What is preventing any of the good guys from just killing Anson or just busting Fiona out of prison once Anson releases the info? He should also have a death switch (like Vaughn) that the information would release if he doesn't do something everyday.

MN: Well, he does, in fact, have a death switch. And it's not like they don't consider exactly what you propose, soon enough...

Q. Who is going to take Anson down? Will it be a team effort or just a stroke of luck that one of them has the opportunity to take him down?

MN: Thanks for watching! As for taking Anson down, well... that's what the second half of the season is about. He's more formidable than he looks.

Q. When will we see a little bit of victory for Michael? We love the show, but the continued angst is getting tough.

MN: Hm. Well, I guess the answer is yes and no. More victory is definitely coming. Also, more angst. Don't the two kind of go together?

Q. Will we see Michael lose it this season, like, really flip?

MN: YES. Yes, you will.

Q. We all want to see a victory for "Michael" but what about a victory for "Fi"...will she finally get the guy (Michael of course) I would love a Burn Notice style wedding.

MN: I don't know about a wedding, but she gets certain victories. Big stuff in the season finale for Fiona fans.

Q. Any surprising Fi stuff coming up?

MN: YES.

Q. Was Management taken down with the rest of group of baddies? Or will he come back?

MN: Yes, he was. But he may well come back. Others do.

Q. Where exactly did Simon go?

MN: You’ll see. He doesn’t appear this season, but he comes up…

Q. Did Mike ever give up his job at the CIA?

MN: Well, he lost it when he was burned, and now he has it back in a sort of unofficial way... so kind of?

Q. Won't Michael ever give up wanting his old job back? Seems rather boring compared to his life after being burned?

MN: Well, that's kind of a question we get into in the second half of season 5.

Backstories, Prequels, Sequels

Q. Will you make a movie just about Michael Westen before he was burned? If so do you know when you will start releasing information about the movie?

MN: Don't know. It's been discussed... we'll have to see how things go, really. And you'll know if we do. Don't worry.

Q. What is the official word on a movie back story on Fi?

MN: No official word, really... it's kind of a matter of USA Network's appetite for that sort of thing. I imagine a combination of fan demand and good ratings for the reruns of Sam Axe might do it.

Q. Will you ever do an episode that shows us when Fiona and Mike met?

MN: We've discussed it. We're probably gonna try at some point.

Q. The Fall Of Sam Axe was great. Hopefully we will see more Burn Notice movies. Would love to see more of Fi's story. I love her toughness.

MN: Thanks so much for watching! It was really fun to do. I'd love to do another one.

Q. Will we get a Burn Notice movie with Michael’s time in Russia?

MN: We've talked about doing stuff from Michael's past. We'll get into it at some point, hopefully. Hard to find stuff in South Florida that looks like Russia, though!

Edited by Karendipitee, 16 December 2011 - 08:53 PM.

#63 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Matt Nix chat, part 4

Season 6 and Beyond

Q. Are there negotiations for more seasons, past season 6? Hope so, I love the show!

MN: No specific negotiations, but I think everyone wants to keep going after six... we shall see!

Q. Matt, are there any casting changes or additions for Season 6? Will Michael and Fiona ever get any down time? Will Burn Notice be renewed for Season 7?

MN: Well, we don't really film the "down time," you know? We'll be doing some new casting stuff for 6, but nothing set in stone yet.

Q. When burn notice ends it run after season 6, will there be a burn notice movie on the big screen?

MN: That'd be cool... But we're not necessarily ending after season 6. That's just how far we're renewed for now.

Q. Will the Westen crew ever get a chance to just chill.... possibly play a game of football on the beach?

MN: One of my ongoing jokes with Jeffrey Donovan is that Michael Westen's weakness is that he cannot catch a ball that is thrown to him. So football would be a problem.

Q. Will Fiona and Michael ever get married?

MN: Just have to keep watching, won’t you?

Q. Will Michael ever be unburned?

MN: Kind of a complex question. Gotta keep watching.

Matt-Specific

Q. I really enjoy the way your mind works, Matt. Just when I think I know what's going to happen next, you totally surprise me!

MN: That's the goal. I try to keep it surprising. I have some guys outside your house right now removing the tires from your car. Surprise!

Q. YOU should be one of Michael's clients!

MN: The idea has been floated. Acting on Burn Notice is tough, though... I dabble, but I haven't done it seriously since college. We'll see. I can't really get out of this show without doing one, can I?

Q. If you write yourself into the show, make sure you die in a big explosion.

MN: I’d rather get shot. Squibs are more fun – you do them yourself. Explosions just happen to stunt guys.

Q. Have you ever been known to accidentally leak information when talking to your friends that are fans of the show?

MN: Yes. Yes, I have. I'm bad at keeping my mouth shut. If I was a writer on Mad Men I'd be fired in the first ten minutes. Probably not just for giving away storylines, but certainly for giving away storylines.

Q. We all know you love your explosions. Over the seasons what has been your favorite?

MN: I can’t answer that! My favorite season is always “the next one.”

Q. What’s your favorite episode?

MN: C'mon. I can't answer that!! A few faves - the season 2 finale, the season 4 finale... Bad Breaks. Do No Harm, because it was the first time I directed one and it had my son Charlie in it. Too many to list!

Q. Are you sick of yogurt yet?

MN: Never. I actually just got into a new kind of yogurt - a sheeps milk yogurt from an outfit called Bellwether Farms. Awesome, awesome stuff.

Q. Is it normal to experience on ongoing internal monologue after watching the show?

MN: Yes, that is perfectly normal. I have one all the time. Of course, that presupposes that I am perfectly normal...

Edited by Karendipitee, 07 December 2011 - 09:05 PM.

#64 Tilly11

Tilly11

Field Operative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:25 PM

Great job, Karen! Thanks for getting all of that together in one place for us! :) And thank you to redwyne for finding it!

643463c4-7f17-4e33-b7f1-c490d83a7863.jpg

Thank You to fanatic174 for this Sig!

#65 yogurtislove24

yogurtislove24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

Wow that was awesome!! thanks so much for posting! :lol:

#66 redwyne

redwyne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:23 PM

wow that was fast!

Thanks Karen :) And you are all verra welcome for helping putting karen to work *g*
sybil

#67 NatashaFatale

NatashaFatale

Ghost in the Machine

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:09 AM

What an awesome Nix chat - thank you so much, Karen, for putting all that up & to redwyne for hunting up the cache! :)

713siggysmuse.png

#68 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

Matt Q&A with the Futon Critic. There are some vague finale spoilers, but really Matt asks more than he answers it seems. I would say spoilerphobes can read it after watching finale.

December 15, 2011

The Futon Critic. Interview: "Burn Notice" Creator Matt Nix. By Jim Halterman.
URL: http://www.thefutonc...215_burnnotice/
Spoilers: Slight, for finale.

#69 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

Here's an interview with Matt for South African TV, in advance of season 5 airing there.

April 19, 2012

IOL Tonight. Peep into the Mind of a Spy. By Debashine Thangevelo.
URL: http://www.iol.co.za...a-spy-1.1279696
Spoilers: No

#70 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

Heads up for live chat: Matt will be doing a live chat with EW's Sandra Gonzalez on Wednesday May 9 at 1:45 pm ET.

As mentioned elsewhere (in the main press thread, I think), Matt is doing a social TV chat with TVGuide tomorrow, and you can tweet questions with the hashtag @AskMattNix to @MickeyOConnor on Twitter.

Edited to add: I have a transcript of Matt's chat comments from EW, and they all concern the upcoming season so I'm posting them in the spoiler thread. Lots of interesting stuff there.

Here's the link to the Storify story of tweets from his AASocialTV appearance. Not many, but I thought I would put them together. No spoilers there.

And here's the AdAge story that discusses Matt, which has less info than I got in the tweets.

May 9, 2012

Ad Age. TV Storytellers Push Plots, Characters Beyond Small Screen Into Social Media. By Jeanine Poggi.
URL: http://adage.com/art...l-media/234657/

Edited by Karendipitee, 09 May 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#71 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

Here's a nice piece with Matt talking about how they put the show together. No spoilers.

June 12, 2012

CoCreate.com. Burn Notice Creator Matt Nix’s Top Secret Techniques For Making TV Drama Last. By Ben Paynter.
URL: http://www.fastcocre...g-tv-drama-last

#72 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

A TVLine Q&A with Matt, with many general spoilers for S6. Cross-posted in the Spoiler thread, so discuss it there if you like.

June 13, 2012

TVLine News. Burn Notice Creator: 'Very Different' Season 6 Will Make Things 'Vastly Worse' for Michael & Co. by Matt Mitovich.
URL: http://tvline.com/20...eview-matt-nix/
Spoilers: Yes, general for S6. Should be safe for spoilerphobes by the end of August, I should think.

Edited to add more from Matt:

TVGuide. Burn Notice Boss Matt Nix: “It’s a Whole New Ball Game This Year” By Kate Stanhope.
URL: http://www.tvguide.c...ix-1048842.aspx
Spoilers: Yes, similar to above.

Edited by Karendipitee, 13 June 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#73 burnerlover1991

burnerlover1991

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

A TVLine Q&A with Matt, with many general spoilers for S6. Cross-posted in the Spoiler thread, so discuss it there if you like.

June 13, 2012

TVLine News. Burn Notice Creator: 'Very Different' Season 6 Will Make Things 'Vastly Worse' for Michael & Co. by Matt Mitovich.
URL: http://tvline.com/20...eview-matt-nix/
Spoilers: Yes, general for S6. Should be safe for spoilerphobes by the end of August, I should think.

Thank you for the link :) 29 hours!!!!!!:) this season will be a great one

End_zps1575b54b.jpg

Only the good die young

Kevin Thomas Young (daddy) October 21st,1965- August, 2nd, 2007
Timothy Young (uncle) November 21st,,1961- December 7, 2005
Richard Jefford (uncle) November,14,1970- August 26th,2012

#74 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

More from Matt and CNN. Stuff about the general lack of serialization. The same general spoiler warnings apply, not much specific, but vague season spoilers.

June 14, 2012

CNN. 'Burn Notice' creator: Dramatic changes to come in new season. By Umika Pidaparthy.
URL: http://marquee.blogs...-in-new-season/
Spoilers: General for season 6.

#75 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

This is cool. Matt doing a TEDx Sonoma talk about Writing for TV and the Creative Voice. Very good stuff for writers or any creative types. 20 minutes.

June 22, 2012

TEDx Sonoma. Matt Nix.
URL:

Edited by Karendipitee, 22 June 2012 - 09:42 PM.

#76 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

Here's an LA Times article about Hollywood talent flocking to cable with a good bit about Matt Nix. No spoilers.

Also, if you haven't watched Matt's TED talk video in the post above this one, do so. It's great.

June 27, 2012

LA Times. The Big Picture: Hollywood's creative talent wants to be on cable. By Patrick Goldstein.
URL: http://www.latimes.c...0,3472317.story

#77 JDMyMuse

JDMyMuse

~Spies live in the shadows, but they dream of the light.~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

This is cool. Matt doing a TEDx Sonoma talk about Writing for TV and the Creative Voice. Very good stuff for writers or any creative types. 20 minutes ...

Thank you for posting this, Karendipitee. Gaining insight into how [the mind of] its gifted creator works adds to my appreciation/enjoyment of Burn Notice.

#78 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:50 PM

Posting a recent spate of interviews with Matt here. They are cross-posted in the Spoiler thread but need to be archived here because there's some great commentary from Matt in them. Definite spoilers for episode 606 and vague spoilers for the rest of season 6, so spoilerphobes avoid.

July 26, 2012

The Hollywood Reporter. 'Burn Notice' Boss Previews Explosive Death and the 'Enormous Fallout' (Q&A). By Philiana Ng.
URL: http://www.hollywood...matt-nix-354937
Spoilers: Definite for 606, vague for rest of season 6

TVGuide. Burn Notice Boss Matt Nix on Major Death: "Michael’s Dancing Really Close to the Edge" By Kate Stanhope.
URL: http://www.tvguide.c...ix-1050565.aspx

Zap2It. 'Burn Notice' shocker! Showrunner Matt Nix talks devastating game changer...and what's next in Season 6By Drusilla Moorhouse.
URL: http://blog.zap2it.c...whats-next.html

#79 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

Articles are starting to pop up from Matt's conference call last week, after 606 aired. I've posted some in the main press thread. Posting this one here because it is very thorough (I'm not wild about the site, but they do a good transcript).

August 1, 2012

Celebrity Dirty Laundry. Interview with Burn Notice Creator Matt Nix. By Cate Meighan.
URL: http://www.celebdirt...-matt-nix-0801/
Spoilers: Vague spoilers for rest of season.

Spoiler TV. Matt Nix Interview Transcript (some typos in the transcript, but most complete).
URL: http://www.spoilertv...-interview.html
Spoilers: Vague spoilers for rest of season.

Edited by Karendipitee, 01 August 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#80 ColleenM

ColleenM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

Posting a recent spate of interviews with Matt here. They are cross-posted in the Spoiler thread but need to be archived here because there's some great commentary from Matt in them. Definite spoilers for episode 606 and vague spoilers for the rest of season 6, so spoilerphobes avoid.

July 26, 2012

The Hollywood Reporter. 'Burn Notice' Boss Previews Explosive Death and the 'Enormous Fallout' (Q&A). By Philiana Ng.
URL: http://www.hollywood...matt-nix-354937

TVGuide. Burn Notice Boss Matt Nix on Major Death: "Michael’s Dancing Really Close to the Edge" By Kate Stanhope.
URL: http://www.tvguide.c...ix-1050565.aspx

Zap2It. 'Burn Notice' shocker! Showrunner Matt Nix talks devastating game changer...and what's next in Season 6By Drusilla Moorhouse.
URL: http://blog.zap2it.c...whats-next.html

I love how Matt assures us that everything leading up to the end of Season 6 will be "fun and we'll like it!" I"m never sure how to take remarks such as those, particularly from him! And I'm definitely never sure how much I'm going to like what happens in each episode! I guess the best way I can describe my experience of watching each new episode is that I "suffer" through it (because each episode can be truly agonizing!) but it isn't until I have the entire season in one place and can watch from the first to the last that I find any continuity and a sense that "Yes, this all makes sense now. This is how it had to happen." Anybody else feel that way?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved