• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 msdtx

msdtx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:08 PM

During the judging of the Airedale, the handler slapped the dog’s head. The dog was not acting up – just standing there for the judge. This is not the first time I have seen handlers hit their dogs and what is there a real reason in doing so?

Thanks

#2 Petcha

Petcha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

I was photographing at Westminster...slapping is not what you may think..when you are there most of the handlers are either slap tapping to get dogs attention or like a football player gets his but smacked..it is to rouse up and excite especially if it is right before they do thier run around the ring.

Trust me...yes there are people out there that abuse..but most if not all are very very close and attentive to their animals. Some of these dogs had security guards hired for the day...

If I could complain about something I would actually be more concerned with how WKC and MSG handle the show. Benching is for the spectator..we understand that..but I feel that WKC should make better benching areas for size where the dog is benched..it should have seating availablity for the handlers/breeders since they have to be there ALL day on their feet..and there should be specific walking areas just for the exhibitors because once it gets packed..the handlers have a hard time getting around to get their dog to the ring..it becomes chaotic.

So I think WKC should look into more making the exhibitors more comfortable at these types of benched shows and more organization for spectators.

During the judging of the Airedale, the handler slapped the dog’s head. The dog was not acting up – just standing there for the judge. This is not the first time I have seen handlers hit their dogs and what is there a real reason in doing so?

Thanks

Edited by Petcha, 17 February 2010 - 01:25 PM.

#3 DoggyWoggy

DoggyWoggy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

I could not agree with you more Petcha!!! I wish they had more space for the doggies, wish that they set up xpens that are closer to the outside, gave the dogs more space to move, AND allowed seats for the spectators. Benching is both the best and worst part of Westminster, it is great for spectators but hard on the dogs and exhibitors even though I enjoy talking to fellow breeders and spectators about my doggies!!!

And regarding the slapping...I am certain that they were playing and getting the doggie excited. I have working dogs and they like rough housing like Airdales do. If they were roughing it up with a toy dog I might be concerned but not with a terrier! :)

#4 Valor

Valor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

They're not really slapping them or being abusive.. it's just a signal to the dog, "your done!" or entices playfulness, it gets them excited so they move well down the carpet.

#5 melindaregner

melindaregner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

They're not really slapping them or being abusive.. it's just a signal to the dog, "your done!" or entices playfulness, it gets them excited so they move well down the carpet.

Convince me more.. Thanks!

#6 mioleokun

mioleokun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:39 AM

Thanks UPosted Image

mayhut sua|xe day tre em|banghe hoc sinh

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved