• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MarthanotGeorge

MarthanotGeorge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:11 AM

Anybody heard about new streaming agreements that would not allow new episodes to stream for 30 days from first broadcast? Internet magicians, what is the answer? This would be a very big deal for folks who usually watch Psych this way.

#2 USA_Admin

USA_Admin

Forum Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:26 PM

Anybody heard about new streaming agreements that would not allow new episodes to stream for 30 days from first broadcast? Internet magicians, what is the answer? This would be a very big deal for folks who usually watch Psych this way.

The first 3 episodes of the upcoming half-season will go online the next day (here and on hulu), and the rest will go up a week later, just as before. Where did you hear about 30 days?

USANetwork.com Admin

#3 MarthanotGeorge

MarthanotGeorge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:45 PM

The first 3 episodes of the upcoming half-season will go online the next day (here and on hulu), and the rest will go up a week later, just as before. Where did you hear about 30 days?

So sorry! I saw it on the Psych twitter feed

@Psych_USA What's the turnaround for episodes online? We're debating turning off our cable for a couple of months - but PSYCH!?!

@******* I wouldn't do that.. the new 2010 streaming agreements are not kind....episodes will post 30 days after they air

I guess this was a subtle dig? Or a typo? Either way, hope those who only stream Psych didn't have panic attacks! :)
This cold weather may have affected my ability to detect sly humor.

Edited by MarthanotGeorge, 08 January 2010 - 01:46 PM.

#4 USA_Admin

USA_Admin

Forum Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:32 PM

We may be forced to have a longer delay eventually, since cable companies aren't happy with people canceling cable and watching shows online instead (not to mention that we'll soon be owned by a cable company!). But as far as I know the streaming schedule for the the upcoming episodes of Pysch will be the same as it was last time. If a longer delay happens to Psych it wouldn't be until summer.

USANetwork.com Admin

#5 BlackTsChica

BlackTsChica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:36 PM

We may be forced to have a longer delay eventually, since cable companies aren't happy with people canceling cable and watching shows online instead (not to mention that we'll soon be owned by a cable company!). But as far as I know the streaming schedule for the the upcoming episodes of Pysch will be the same as it was last time. If a longer delay happens to Psych it wouldn't be until summer.

That's good to know. A lot of my peeps watch Psych on Hulu so I hope it stays available. I hope it does not delay the iTunes availability because I buy the eppies the next day (yes, I learned after Season 3 to keep my "Psych Cabinet" stocked with eppies in case my Comcast DVR goes on the frits. :D )

Edited by BlackTsChica, 08 January 2010 - 04:37 PM.

Posted Image
Ah QuarterBlack...you gotta love'em.
And now, say it with me, SHABBASHASSIESHULES (ala Fred Flinstone)
Shawn "Steak N Shake" Spencer and Gus "Porkbelly" Johnson

#6 Winky_Cutto

Winky_Cutto

TiManiac and Super PsychO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:13 PM

While this has nothing to do with Psych specifically, or online shows, this is kind of related and may be what the person was confusing the online episode releases with:

A group of movie studios have been attempting to get NetFlix (and possibly RedBox) to have to wait 28 or 30 days from a DVD release before their movies are available for rental from such places. It appears NetFlix and Warner Bros. have already made a deal to this effect:
http://news.cnet.com...426792-261.html

While this has nothing to do with online streaming, per-say, I have a feeling that this may have caused some confusion for someone, especially in the limited 140 character tweets about the 30 day wait for NetFlix.

Hope that helps someone! (Otherwise I'm rambling to myself).

If anyone's interested, here's another, older article on the same topic, and this one mentions Universal as one of the studios that may be asking for the delay: http://tech.yahoo.co...patterson/58478
@Winky_Cutto on Twitter
TiManiac, Smart Ass, and everyday Rabid Beast Psych-O

#7 MarthanotGeorge

MarthanotGeorge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:08 PM

While this has nothing to do with Psych specifically, or online shows, this is kind of related and may be what the person was confusing the online episode releases with:

A group of movie studios have been attempting to get NetFlix (and possibly RedBox) to have to wait 28 or 30 days from a DVD release before their movies are available for rental from such places. It appears NetFlix and Warner Bros. have already made a deal to this effect:
http://news.cnet.com...426792-261.html

While this has nothing to do with online streaming, per-say, I have a feeling that this may have caused some confusion for someone, especially in the limited 140 character tweets about the 30 day wait for NetFlix.

Hope that helps someone! (Otherwise I'm rambling to myself).

If anyone's interested, here's another, older article on the same topic, and this one mentions Universal as one of the studios that may be asking for the delay: http://tech.yahoo.co...patterson/58478

Thanks! I actually had seen the Netflix thing and thought maybe I had just misconstrued the twitversation. But @Psych_USA then answered the query with "That's what I'm being told.", basically reasserting that it would be a 30 day delay for episodes sometime in 2010. That may mean the 2010-2011 season which would be Season 5 for Psych. I think the Admin may have gotten to the meat of it. With the Comcast/Universal deal in the works and the recent bad blood between Fox and Time Warner, the cable companies are gearing up to push back on free and timely downloads and pursue pirates in the same way that the music companies pursued napster and scofflaws who egregiously and illegally downloaded music in the 90's. I think it's gonna get ugly.

So thanks Winky, that is exactly the kind of information I wanted. I find it fascinating.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved