• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 karenowensQUIP

karenowensQUIP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

Well a couple Fridays have passed since Monk ended. The feeling of saddness s really ove taking me. Only two other shows has had this effect on me. When Xena, Warrior Princes Ended, I was really devistated. I was in my teens, and she was my hero, my exscape from life, and it's hard ships. A couple years ago, Nickalodeon's Avitar, last airbender caught my interest. Once again my excape was gone. I am a busy mom. I work, go to school, and comute and hour between each destination everyday. So Friday nights are pretty much the kids, and we loved Monk!! It's just a show, why do I feel so bad......does anyone els feel this way, to this degree. Or mabey about any other TV Show. Anyone?????
~KO

#2 Dervish

Dervish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:59 PM

I was sad when Early Edition was canceled in 2000. I can't say I was sad when Boston Legal was canceled last year, because I didn't even start watching the show until I saw the reruns after the show was canceled, but I miss that show a lot, as well. While I feel sad that Monk was canceled, I am pleased that it had a good run of 8 seasons, like Magnum P.I. did. I agree with Tony Shalhoub and the others. Leaving while on a high is great. If we see the cast members in new works, I'll be happy. If they end up making a Monk movie every year or so, that'll be even better!

The saddest thing regarding television shows is when a good one is given less than 7 seasons. Every good show deserves at least a 7-8 season run.

#3 ashleymd7

ashleymd7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, I know where you're coming from, to an extent. I was (am still, I guess) a huge fan of the Harry Potter books (not a TV show, but similar situation and feelings), and I was devastated when those ended, almost depressed for a few weeks. Then it got better, like everything else always does eventually. Besides HP, I always find that any series finale (of a show I'd watched loyally, every once in a while, or one I'd never even heard of) always gets me down for the rest of the day. But I was actually surprised how well I was doing after Monk ended, but I think that was for a few reasons: I was too angry about the finale to be upset about it ending, I was still keeping busy with school, friends, and other things that keep me occupied, I'm painfully optimistic that this isn't the last we'll see of Monk on screen (like said above, a couple of TV movies or otherwise would be AWESOME), and I also have the Monk books still giving me my Monk fix. If you haven't read the books, I highly recommend them -- It's like having an episode in your head that lasts hours rather than a few minutes. AND we've been guaranteed at least another two of those books, in July of 2010 and winter (probably December) of 2010. Don't get too down, though. It was a great show while it lasted, brought a lot of good times and memories and laughs to its loyal fans, and continues to through the promise of more books and the possibility of movies. I still get that wave of sadness every so often, especially around 8 on Fridays, but just look at it in perspective: There are a lot worse things going on, and wouldn't you have rather Monk ended strong after 8 years with you still watching it and enjoying it, or giving Monk up if it went stale and dying in further seasons? I agree that 10 seasons would have been better, but we gotta take what we can get while it's in front of us to grab. ;) Hope this helps.
"While I can run, I'll run; while I can walk, I'll walk; when I can only crawl, I'll crawl. But by the grace of God, I'll always be moving forward"

#4 Bre9695

Bre9695

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:50 PM

I know how you feel. I am in my 30's and in all my years I have never felt this much loss and sadness over a show. I think because i loved the characters so much and it was an escape or coping skill...hey if you're having a bad day, watch Monk its a great cure. I still feel the loss but i am happy for them that they are doing other things. But i think i am wrapping the stages of loss and am accepting it like in the Monk episode...sad,depressed,angry, and now kinda ok with it. i'm glad the community is here so that i can read any updates though...sorry for typos, using virtual keyboard, my little one spilled milk on it...the lenghts we go for Monk!

bre

#5 lovethatmonk

lovethatmonk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

Yes...I really miss my Monk night. My husband gave me the time to watch and chat while the show aired on Fridays. I miss it...My husband bought me some lovely Monk gifts for Christmas...I just wish I could time travel back to enjoy it when it first started. I jumped on in mid 5th season. Damn it...why do things have to end??

LTM

#6 ashleymd7

ashleymd7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:40 AM

Yes...I really miss my Monk night. My husband gave me the time to watch and chat while the show aired on Fridays. I miss it...My husband bought me some lovely Monk gifts for Christmas...I just wish I could time travel back to enjoy it when it first started. I jumped on in mid 5th season. Damn it...why do things have to end??

LTM

You don't know how many times I've thought that same question. :( Someone should think about answering it for me sometime.

And I'm going to constantly reiterate this for all who haven't done it: READ THE BOOKS! :D
"While I can run, I'll run; while I can walk, I'll walk; when I can only crawl, I'll crawl. But by the grace of God, I'll always be moving forward"

#7 LovAdrian

LovAdrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:49 PM

I know how you feel. I am in my 30's and in all my years I have never felt this much loss and sadness over a show. I think because i loved the characters so much and it was an escape or coping skill...hey if you're having a bad day, watch Monk its a great cure. I still feel the loss but i am happy for them that they are doing other things. But i think i am wrapping the stages of loss and am accepting it like in the Monk episode...sad,depressed,angry, and now kinda ok with it. i'm glad the community is here so that i can read any updates though...sorry for typos, using virtual keyboard, my little one spilled milk on it...the lenghts we go for Monk!

bre

I feel the same. I still don't accept the end as natural. Ending something you love is so sad. As I love the characters so much it seems they're real people who are gone all of sudden out of my life... That's so strange...
I'm glad I have the books. I only read two of them while Monk was on the air and decided to let the others for the time Monk wouldn't be here. I just hoped this wouldn't be so soon... The books are now helping me, as well as the hope of a TV especial or movie. But none of these change the fact that there's a hole in my heart and a latent pain caused by missing Monk so much.
LovAdrian.

Now that Monk is about to leave...

...Am I crying? 'Cause it feels like I'm crying all the time...
... I'm gonna be all alone. What a time to be me...

Monk: Tell me what to do.
Randy: I can't do that.
Monk: Well, can you find somebody who will tell me what to do?

Natalie:
So, Mr. Monk, what do you want for Christmas?
Monk: A miracle.

#8 ashleymd7

ashleymd7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

I feel the same. I still don't accept the end as natural. Ending something you love is so sad. As I love the characters so much it seems they're real people who are gone all of sudden out of my life... That's so strange...
I'm glad I have the books. I only read two of them while Monk was on the air and decided to let the others for the time Monk wouldn't be here. I just hoped this wouldn't be so soon... The books are now helping me, as well as the hope of a TV especial or movie. But none of these change the fact that there's a hole in my heart and a latent pain caused by missing Monk so much.

That was a good strategy, leaving the books for when the show ended... wish I'd done the same. As of three days ago (when I read both "Dirty Cop" and "In Trouble" in one day) I'm lonely and Monkless. An awful way to be, in my opinion. :(
On another note, I'm actually considering writing a fanfic or two to keep my mind and efforts on Monk a little longer... but I'll see how that goes. :rolleyes:

#9 Bre9695

Bre9695

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:46 AM

I know what you mean, in fact I can remember the first time the commercial for the last season ran early this year and feeling this huge shock and sadness come over me and knew my husband wouldn't understand. But he even admitted that he was going to miss the show. Eventually I'd like to get the dvd's or my favorite episodes or all the seasons. I might even rent one every Fridy to bring some of that normalcy back. I am glad you have the books though. I used to go to You Tube and play the Randy Newman song When I'm Gone and Keane's Time To Go and sob...lol. But it helped so much. I am really hoping hat USA has more new shows that can capture the same wit, humor, sensitiity and addictiveness as Monk.....It'll always be second though.

Happy New Year,
Bre

#10 LovAdrian

LovAdrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

That was a good strategy, leaving the books for when the show ended... wish I'd done the same. As of three days ago (when I read both "Dirty Cop" and "In Trouble" in one day) I'm lonely and Monkless. An awful way to be, in my opinion. :(
On another note, I'm actually considering writing a fanfic or two to keep my mind and efforts on Monk a little longer... but I'll see how that goes. :rolleyes:

That was really a strategy. When I heard in season six, that Monk could be coming to an end I decided to stop reading the books and let them for later ;) . In fact, that's something I use to do with everything I love: I save them and enjoy as much as I can for as long as I can :D . That's also happening with the DVDs. Although, I've already seen all the episodes on the internet, of course I must have the DVD boxes, but I didn't buy all of them. I'm on sixth now and I only intend to buy the seventh when the eighth box is released, so I can have time to enjoy the extras of the seventh box and then, I'll order the eighth. I know it's weird, but maybe that's something expectable for a Monk fan... :D
I'm sorry for you've been feeling Monkless. I know how it hurts :( . About considering writing a fanfic, I'm totally for it, especially if you post for Monk fans :P . I love them all. they're other sources of Monk that feed my soul, I can say. I hope you go for it. :)
LovAdrian.

Natalie:

#11 LovAdrian

LovAdrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

I know what you mean, in fact I can remember the first time the commercial for the last season ran early this year and feeling this huge shock and sadness come over me and knew my husband wouldn't understand. But he even admitted that he was going to miss the show. Eventually I'd like to get the dvd's or my favorite episodes or all the seasons. I might even rent one every Fridy to bring some of that normalcy back. I am glad you have the books though. I used to go to You Tube and play the Randy Newman song When I'm Gone and Keane's Time To Go and sob...lol. But it helped so much. I am really hoping hat USA has more new shows that can capture the same wit, humor, sensitiity and addictiveness as Monk.....It'll always be second though.

Happy New Year,
Bre

Yeah, any other show will always be the second...Monk is unique! I also felt deeply sad when I knew Monk was going to end. I remember I read the news here and that was a big shock. I cried all night long. It was like losing a friend. That was the first time I cried for a show. I think it happened because I really got attached to Monk. His personality was very similar to mine in many ways, including the some of the OCD things and the way the writers told his story in some ways had made think about my own difficuties. It was like looking at a mirror sometimes and as Monk was progressing I was learning how to get better myself. So, watching Monk was more like a personal journey than simply to enjoy a TV show. Of course, I fell in love for his sweet and lovely personality and for Tony Shalhoub. That's another part of my pain now: not having the chance of watching Tony Shalhoub in new episodes. Neither in any other thing, at least for a long time. I know he's going to be in Broadway, but there's no chance I can watch him there, I also know the film he made will be released soon but I also know it won't come to Brazil :( So, I'm in trouble: how am I going to live without watching him so frequently? :( :P I hope he comes back soon on TV...Any way, as I said before, at least I have books and the DVDs whose episodes, by the way, I watch every night. Yeah, I'm addicted to Monk, what can I do? :D

Happy New Year for you too and Thank you, Bre.

Edited by LovAdrian, 28 December 2009 - 04:08 PM.

LovAdrian.

Natalie:

#12 tonimarie

tonimarie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

Yeah, any other show will always be the second...Monk is unique! I also felt deeply sad when I knew Monk was going to end. I remember I read the news here and that was a big shock. I cried all night long. It was like losing a friend. That was the first time I cried for a show. I think it happened because I really got attached to Monk. His personality was very similar to mine in many ways, including the some of the OCD things and the way the writers told his story in some ways had made think about my own difficuties. It was like looking at a mirror sometimes and as Monk was progressing I was learning how to get better myself. So, watching Monk was more like a personal journey than simply to enjoy a TV show. Of course, I fell in love for his sweet and lovely personality and for Tony Shalhoub. That's another part of my pain now: not having the chance of watching Tony Shalhoub in new episodes. Neither in any other thing, at least for a long time. I know he's going to be in Broadway, but there's no chance I can watch him there, I also know the film he made will be released soon but I also know it won't come to Brazil :( So, I'm in trouble: how am I going to live without watching him so frequently? :( :P I hope he comes back soon on TV...Any way, as I said before, at least I have books and the DVDs whose episodes, by the way, I watch every night. Yeah, I'm addicted to Monk, what can I do? :D

Happy New Year for you too and Thank you, Bre.

Wow- If you hadn't mentioned Brazil, I feel I could have written the same exact post. ;)

Thank You LovAdrian and good luck to you as we all journey into the 'not-so great unknown' ! :)

Proud member of the Badger Nation! - (Thanks to JenBee for the nickname!)

#13 ashleymd7

ashleymd7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

That was really a strategy. When I heard in season six, that Monk could be coming to an end I decided to stop reading the books and let them for later ;) . In fact, that's something I use to do with everything I love: I save them and enjoy as much as I can for as long as I can :D . That's also happening with the DVDs. Although, I've already seen all the episodes on the internet, of course I must have the DVD boxes, but I didn't buy all of them. I'm on sixth now and I only intend to buy the seventh when the eighth box is released, so I can have time to enjoy the extras of the seventh box and then, I'll order the eighth. I know it's weird, but maybe that's something expectable for a Monk fan... :D
I'm sorry for you've been feeling Monkless. I know how it hurts :( . About considering writing a fanfic, I'm totally for it, especially if you post for Monk fans :P . I love them all. they're other sources of Monk that feed my soul, I can say. I hope you go for it. :)

Like I said, very smart. I'll have to start doing that for any other show that I by chance get addicted to. Of course, I actually don't own any of the seasons... maybe I'll get those to tide me off until July... ;)

I'm going to definitely make the attempt for a fanfic. I always get miffed when I check for new stories, and nobody's written any. So I might as well make my own contribution. I actually wrote one after the On the Run episodes... I've just been waiting for some inspiration, I guess. And, in some indirect and irrelevant way, the finale brought it to me! Wish me luck :D

#14 glori

glori

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:52 PM

I miss Monk as well, the character of a man, a man not from any particular mode, but a real man nevertheless. It was the success it was because of that fact. I think that kind of success is possible today....but for some reason, producers want something else most of the time. What a gamble USA took after others turned the idea down, and wasn't it wonderful. I do have all 7 seasons, and am waiting for the 8th. I think I will order the Best of Monk two-cd set to enjoy until the release of the 8th season. I really enjoy seeing them again, especially without commercials. I know commercial tv must have commercials, but without them, the stories are much more of a piece. At times they are familiar, like favorite children's bedtime stories, a joy to just review. At other times, I see something new, and wonder at why I missed that in the first place. Always I laugh, chuckle maybe more the case, except for ironing shoestrings, when I laugh out loud. But always, I love the character of Monk, I thoroughly enjoyed hearing the writers and the actors tell their stories, about how the inspiration for this wonderful person of Adrian Monk came about. How Tony Shalhoub was the only possible person to play him. I learned more about him, what a great actor's actor he is, how much he is respected and admired by the whole acting community. It was enlightening to me, since I didn't really about all of his theatre work until I learned about it through information on the USA website. I can Bing his name as well as Google it, and also find his career accomplishments on wikipedia. I had learned a lot about the man who grew up in a town I know so well, Green Bay. Friends saw him and his family in Green Bay theatre productions years ago, and learned to respect his talent. Then they became addicted to MONK, as did I and some of my family and friends. I miss the regular Friday nights' waiting for Monk to come on, but I am hopeful for future productions of some sort, moving the story on. Lots to continue. I do hope that the picture, Feed the Fish, will be released soon. Hopefully it will be entered in the Madison Film Festival this coming spring. I will keep an eye out. Thanks to all the fans who keep adding to the news about Tony and how they feel about him and MONK...in a way, that's keeping the spirit of the show, if not the actual show, alive. And perhaps, one day soon, we will hear of a sequel. Of course, I do have som of the books. I do enjoy the writer's presentation of Monk in print. Happy New Year, everyone, and may it bring good news to all and for all good things to come to pass.

#15 Liv

Liv

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:00 PM

Every Friday since the finale, I have felt the longing and sense of loss that there won't be a new episode coming on, every again. It still feels like there's a hole in my week.
Geocities ate my Timeline! :(

#16 karenowensQUIP

karenowensQUIP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:03 PM

Thanks everyone!! Knowing that im not the only one feels this way helps alot!!
~KO

#17 Aiden_Kross

Aiden_Kross

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:39 AM

It has been a very long time since I've missed a show this much. :( Or even cried over one. Yes, I cried when the song started to play. I miss Monk soooo much.
The world is full of obvious things, which nobody by any chance ever observes.

What you do in this world is a matter of no consequence. The question is, what can you make people believe that you have done.

I never guess. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

- Sherlock Holmes

#18 likeadrian

likeadrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

My Friday TV viewing is really bland without it...when Friday rolls around, I always miss the show. However, I am in the process of buying the box sets and the books. :) At least we have those.
Monk: You know, I'm tired of all these chess metaphors, Patrick. These were two real people, not chess pieces. I think they deserve a little more respect. Although if you insist, checkmate.

#19 DramaQueenBroadway

DramaQueenBroadway

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:46 PM

Me too...I just got my first book..."Mr. Monk Goes To Germany" and I have Seasons 1-6 on DVD, plus I just got another T.S movie yesterday so that should hold me at least for a while!!!!

Shawn: I dazzle...I stretch...I dazzle and I stretch...
Shawn:Spell banana
Contestant:
Definition please?
Shawn:
A yellow fruit. Also a yellow pudding...a very delicious pudding.
Contestant:
Can you use it in a sentence please?
Shawn:Anna Banana would like to hear Venus by Bananarama....banana
Shawn-"don't be Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Marzipan"
Gus-"Azkaban"
Shawn-"I've heard it both ways!"
My name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner Gus "Silly Pants" Jackson
"Boom...boom boom...MUFFINS!!!!!"
"Boom...boom...boom THIS THING!!!!!"
"You don't call him Binky?"
"We do now!"
Shawn: Hello my name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner M.C. Clap Your Handz
WARNING: DATES ON CALANDER ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR
"I love due dates. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by"
DramaQueenBroadway: All of the Law...none of the Order!
Twitter: @DramaQueenDiva

Youtube: KAASL4

#20 newcountry

newcountry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

yes, I really, really miss monk too. fridays are not the same. and i haven't seen reruns on sunday morning. and there were some reruns at odd half-hour early morning times, but i came in on the hour... i really miss this show. now that psych is moving to wednesdays, what will i do on friday? i am already bereft and adrift on fridays.

back to numb3rs, but... monk was my friday night family, fun, and friendliness.

i didn't even go to the threads about the last two shows. too sad.

where is a sad 'post icon' when you need one?

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved