• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 DramaQueenBroadway

DramaQueenBroadway

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:40 PM

Tony nominee Stanley Tucci will direct Anthony LaPaglia and Tony Shalhoub in the Broadway revival of Ken Ludwig's backstage comedy Lend Me a Tenor, which will begin previews March 11, 2010, at the Music Box Theatre.

Tucci makes his Broadway directorial debut with Ludwig's Tony-nominated 1989. Opening will be April 4, 2010; tickets go on sale to the general public Dec. 28.

The cast is led by Tony winner LaPaglia (A View from the Bridge, The Rose Tattoo) as opera singer Tito Merelli and Golden Globe winner Shalhoub ("Monk," Conversations With My Father) as producer Sanders.

Tenor will also feature two-time Tony nominee Jan Maxwell (The Royal Family, Coram Boy) as Maria, Mary Catherine Garrison (Assassins, Rabbit Hole) as Maggie, Tony nominee Jennifer Laura Thompson (Urinetown, Wicked) as Diana, Jay Klaitz (High Fidelity) as the Bellhop and Brooke Adams (The Heidi Chronicles, "Monk") as Julia.

The 1930's set play "is a madcap screwball comedy that takes place when Tito Merelli, the fiery-tempered and world famous Italian superstar, arrives in Cleveland, Ohio to make his debut with the local opera and promptly goes missing. As Saunders, the show's presenter, conspires to cover for Tito’s absence, placate his hot-blooded wife, and distract his most passionate fans, chaos on a truly operatic level ensues," press notes state.

Got that from http://www.playbill.com
Just thought people might like to know what Tony's up to now that Monk is over!!!
PS, they just announced on Facebook that he's nominated for a Screen Actor's Guild Award for "Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series" for "Monk"!!!

Edited by DramaQueenBroadway, 17 December 2009 - 03:44 PM.

Shawn: I dazzle...I stretch...I dazzle and I stretch...
Shawn:Spell banana
Contestant:
Definition please?
Shawn:
A yellow fruit. Also a yellow pudding...a very delicious pudding.
Contestant:
Can you use it in a sentence please?
Shawn:Anna Banana would like to hear Venus by Bananarama....banana
Shawn-"don't be Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Marzipan"
Gus-"Azkaban"
Shawn-"I've heard it both ways!"
My name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner Gus "Silly Pants" Jackson
"Boom...boom boom...MUFFINS!!!!!"
"Boom...boom...boom THIS THING!!!!!"
"You don't call him Binky?"
"We do now!"
Shawn: Hello my name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner M.C. Clap Your Handz
WARNING: DATES ON CALANDER ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR
"I love due dates. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by"
DramaQueenBroadway: All of the Law...none of the Order!
Twitter: @DramaQueenDiva

Youtube: KAASL4

#2 extex

extex

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:28 PM

Tony nominee Stanley Tucci will direct Anthony LaPaglia and Tony Shalhoub in the Broadway revival of Ken Ludwig's backstage comedy Lend Me a Tenor, which will begin previews March 11, 2010, at the Music Box Theatre.

Tucci makes his Broadway directorial debut with Ludwig's Tony-nominated 1989. Opening will be April 4, 2010; tickets go on sale to the general public Dec. 28.

The cast is led by Tony winner LaPaglia (A View from the Bridge, The Rose Tattoo) as opera singer Tito Merelli and Golden Globe winner Shalhoub ("Monk," Conversations With My Father) as producer Sanders.

Tenor will also feature two-time Tony nominee Jan Maxwell (The Royal Family, Coram Boy) as Maria, Mary Catherine Garrison (Assassins, Rabbit Hole) as Maggie, Tony nominee Jennifer Laura Thompson (Urinetown, Wicked) as Diana, Jay Klaitz (High Fidelity) as the Bellhop and Brooke Adams (The Heidi Chronicles, "Monk") as Julia.

The 1930's set play "is a madcap screwball comedy that takes place when Tito Merelli, the fiery-tempered and world famous Italian superstar, arrives in Cleveland, Ohio to make his debut with the local opera and promptly goes missing. As Saunders, the show's presenter, conspires to cover for Tito’s absence, placate his hot-blooded wife, and distract his most passionate fans, chaos on a truly operatic level ensues," press notes state.

Just thought people might like to know what Tony's up to now that Monk is over!!!
PS, they just announced on Facebook that he's nominated for a Screen Actor's Guild Award for "Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series" for "Monk"!!!

Thanks a bunch
e

#3 Chibizaki

Chibizaki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:40 PM

Oh wow, thank you so much for posting this. I was looking for more info on it this past week, even tried to search for tickets on Broadway but couldn't find it - not for sale till 28th, no wonder. I really want to try and attend a performance (don't know if I can arrange the travel since it's kinda far from Toronto).

I've never seen any past productions of this play nor know much about it (aside from the article you posted and Wiki), but I do love opera and/or classical music themed works. Also the "screwball" aspect of the play reminds me of Stanley Tucci's "The Impostors" (1998) (which Tony Shalhoub was also in). Seems like it's gonna be a lot of fun. :D

#4 Dervish

Dervish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:07 AM

http://www.playbill....roadway-Revival

Mark your calenders. Tickets go on sale December 28!

#5 tonimarie

tonimarie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

http://www.playbill....roadway-Revival

Mark your calenders. Tickets go on sale December 28!

Yeah! TS is back in the city this spring! :) Yet another great reason to love NYC!
Proud member of the Badger Nation! - (Thanks to JenBee for the nickname!)

#6 moondreamer

moondreamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

So when is he coming back to TV for all us non-jetsetting, non-theater goers? I miss him. No Monk tonight!!

#7 LovAdrian

LovAdrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

Thank you for posting the news!
But, could'nt they record the play and sell as DVD for Tony's fans who doesn't live in USA? :D
LovAdrian.

Now that Monk is about to leave...

...Am I crying? 'Cause it feels like I'm crying all the time...
... I'm gonna be all alone. What a time to be me...

Monk: Tell me what to do.
Randy: I can't do that.
Monk: Well, can you find somebody who will tell me what to do?

Natalie:
So, Mr. Monk, what do you want for Christmas?
Monk: A miracle.

#8 Bre9695

Bre9695

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:27 PM

I wouldn't mind even seeing a few scenes from the play, I am way too far away for that.

#9 Magdalene

Magdalene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:44 PM

Thank you for posting the news!
But, could'nt they record the play and sell as DVD for Tony's fans who doesn't live in USA? :D

Rarely is a play/musical recorded, because of copyright restrictions, etc. It's a narrow market, and the cost isn't really justified. If something shows up on PBS, then you might find a dvd available (King Lear, for example). But it's a rare thing.

I'll likely see it in April, if I get any extra Playbills, I'll post here.

Edited by Magdalene, 18 December 2009 - 09:47 PM.

#10 monklab2123

monklab2123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

Rarely is a play/musical recorded, because of copyright restrictions, etc. It's a narrow market, and the cost isn't really justified. If something shows up on PBS, then you might find a dvd available (King Lear, for example). But it's a rare thing.

I'll likely see it in April, if I get any extra Playbills, I'll post here.

What site do you use to buy tickets? I haven't ever been to a Broadway play, and I plan on making this my first..... first play, first visit to NY. I'm so excited. :D

#11 Chibizaki

Chibizaki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:07 AM

What site do you use to buy tickets? I haven't ever been to a Broadway play, and I plan on making this my first..... first play, first visit to NY. I'm so excited. :D

I don't know where to buy yet but just wanted to say that if I decide to go, this will be my first time to NYC too.... In fact, it would be my first time to the USA. (I'm from Canada). It would also be my first time trying to see a live performance of someone that has achieved success on TV and Films

#12 DramaQueenBroadway

DramaQueenBroadway

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:53 PM

There are several ways to book tickets:
1.) You can go to http://www.playbill.com to buy tickets as it gets closer to the play's opening.
A: Go to the site and on the left hand side you'll see something that says "Listings/Tickets".
B: Look under it and you'll see tabs for Broadway, Off Broadway, Regional/Tours, and London.
C:Click on Broadway, then click on "Lend Me a Tenor".
a.) If you click on the title of the show, it'll give you information such as a synopsis, who's in it, running time, opening/closing dates, ratings, etc.
D: To book the tickets, look to the right of the title of the show where it says "Buy Tickets".
F: Then click "Find Tickets" and select the number of tickets you want, the time you want to see it, and the seats you want. When you're done, click "Finished". These tickets will normall cost about $80-$100 depending on the number of tickets you buy.
2.) You can also try http://www.ticketmaster.com which will normally walk you through the same process as Playbill does, but their tickets usually cost less...not sure how much becaus I normally don't book tickets from them.
3.) The Half Price Ticket Office at the Mariott in NYC. There is no garauntee that they'll have tickets for the show when you get there, however, you can check the availablity of the show through Playbill, just don't do the last step. My suggestion if you use this method is to use that play as a top choice and then pick about 3-4 other shows you would like to see in case "Lend Me a Tenor" is sold out. These tickets will normally cost about $40-$80 depending on how many tickets you buy. This is how I normally buy tickets whenever I go to NYC...being a Broadway buff, I have to see a show every time I go to NYC!!!!
4.) Join the Playbill club like I did. Go to http://www.playbill.com and on the left hand side you will see "Playbill Club". You can use this tab to sign up, check on your membership, see the benefits and services, and any other questions you may have about the club. Joining is free and you get daily discounts (up to half off ticket sales) in your inbox. You can also use your membership to get special offers from Playbill and discounts off resteraunts near Broadway. Check your membership daily to see what the specific discounts are...there are new discounts everyday!
Hope this helps!

Contestant:
Definition please?
Shawn:
Contestant:
Gus-"Azkaban"
"We do now!"
Shawn: Hello my name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner M.C. Clap Your Handz

#13 Magdalene

Magdalene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

Telecharge.com sells most of the tickets for Broadway shows (including Lend Me A Tenor). Phone numbers are:
Inside the NY metro area (212) 239-6200
Outside the NY metro area (800) 432-7250

I don't think tickets are on sale yet, but will probably range from 36.00-110.00, not counting premium seating. If you are on a budget, once the show actually opens, and if it isn't selling well, they will probably offer discount codes through various websites (Playbill.com included). They may also have rush tickets, but I'll post when I get more info.

I go to NYC fairly often (such as next week for New Years Eve!), being a big theater buff, and I do it as cheaply as possible. I usually spend more on theater tickets than on accomodations/transportation. If you have any questions, please pm me!

#14 Magdalene

Magdalene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:27 PM

Here is a link to the show's website:

http://lendmeatenoronbroadway.com/

#15 Chibizaki

Chibizaki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:07 PM

There are several ways to book tickets:
1.) You can go to http://www.playbill.com to buy tickets as it gets closer to the play's opening.
A: Go to the site and on the left hand side you'll see something that says "Listings/Tickets".
B: Look under it and you'll see tabs for Broadway, Off Broadway, Regional/Tours, and London.
C:Click on Broadway, then click on "Lend Me a Tenor".
a.) If you click on the title of the show, it'll give you information such as a synopsis, who's in it, running time, opening/closing dates, ratings, etc.
D: To book the tickets, look to the right of the title of the show where it says "Buy Tickets".
F: Then click "Find Tickets" and select the number of tickets you want, the time you want to see it, and the seats you want. When you're done, click "Finished". These tickets will normall cost about $80-$100 depending on the number of tickets you buy.
2.) You can also try http://www.ticketmaster.com which will normally walk you through the same process as Playbill does, but their tickets usually cost less...not sure how much becaus I normally don't book tickets from them.
3.) The Half Price Ticket Office at the Mariott in NYC. There is no garauntee that they'll have tickets for the show when you get there, however, you can check the availablity of the show through Playbill, just don't do the last step. My suggestion if you use this method is to use that play as a top choice and then pick about 3-4 other shows you would like to see in case "Lend Me a Tenor" is sold out. These tickets will normally cost about $40-$80 depending on how many tickets you buy. This is how I normally buy tickets whenever I go to NYC...being a Broadway buff, I have to see a show every time I go to NYC!!!!
4.) Join the Playbill club like I did. Go to http://www.playbill.com and on the left hand side you will see "Playbill Club". You can use this tab to sign up, check on your membership, see the benefits and services, and any other questions you may have about the club. Joining is free and you get daily discounts (up to half off ticket sales) in your inbox. You can also use your membership to get special offers from Playbill and discounts off resteraunts near Broadway. Check your membership daily to see what the specific discounts are...there are new discounts everyday!
Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for posting how to get tickets. :) I really appreciate you showing me the ropes. I'm gonna go sign up right now.

Just curious, how often do you see plays or musicals? Do you prefer plays more than musicals or vice versa? Or do you like both just as much?

#16 DramaQueenBroadway

DramaQueenBroadway

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:51 AM

You're welcome! I've only seen musicals on Broadway and I absolutely adore them...that's why the broadcasting of "The Tony Awards" is like my New Years!!!!! I don't usually get to NYC too often (I live in a different state) but I usually get to see Broadway shows when they come here on tour through Broadway Across America. I've seen about 6 shows on tour or through a regional production, 3 on Broadway itself, and 1 on the West End professionally, and countless others on DVD and through community theater...and have even been a part of some myself!!!! Whenever my family goes to NYC, I'm usually the one in charge of picking musicals to see and when I was in the drama club at my last school, I was treasurer and vice president so I was in charge of picking not only the plays that we performed but also what shows we saw and booking them!!!! Okay my director booked them but I was the one with the money!!!!! Most of the time for my school I was in charge of also finding and recommending musicals for us to see!!!

Contestant:
Definition please?
Shawn:
Contestant:
Gus-"Azkaban"
"We do now!"

#17 Magdalene

Magdalene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

Meself, I go to more plays than musicals, but that's because there are more plays than musicals produced! I go to NYC 3-5 times a year, and see several shows a trip (my record is 4 shows in one day!)

#18 Chibizaki

Chibizaki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:28 PM

You're welcome! I've only seen musicals on Broadway and I absolutely adore them...that's why the broadcasting of "The Tony Awards" is like my New Years!!!!! I don't usually get to NYC too often (I live in a different state) but I usually get to see Broadway shows when they come here on tour through Broadway Across America. I've seen about 6 shows on tour or through a regional production, 3 on Broadway itself, and 1 on the West End professionally, and countless others on DVD and through community theater...and have even been a part of some myself!!!! Whenever my family goes to NYC, I'm usually the one in charge of picking musicals to see and when I was in the drama club at my last school, I was treasurer and vice president so I was in charge of picking not only the plays that we performed but also what shows we saw and booking them!!!! Okay my director booked them but I was the one with the money!!!!! Most of the time for my school I was in charge of also finding and recommending musicals for us to see!!!

Oh wow, you were really involved in a lot of musical related things in high school. That's really great that you were in some as well. That must have been a lot of fun!

I like musicals too but haven't seen very many. I've seen Lion King and Tommy live in my home city, and My Fair Lady when I was in Vienna (of all places and it was in German, haha, but it was still good). That's about it for live musicals. I've seen several on tv or video (like Sound of Music, West Side Story, Grease, Chicago etc.). Ok maybe more if you count Disney traditionally animated films (I'm a sucker for those)... I want to try and watch some more musicals at least on DVD. :D

#19 Chibizaki

Chibizaki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

Meself, I go to more plays than musicals, but that's because there are more plays than musicals produced! I go to NYC 3-5 times a year, and see several shows a trip (my record is 4 shows in one day!)

Wow, 4 in one day! Isn't that like... 8-10 hours worth of live performance? That's intense! I hope they were spread out during the day a little. Did you have to sprint from theatre to theatre at all? :lol:

#20 Magdalene

Magdalene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

Wow, 4 in one day! Isn't that like... 8-10 hours worth of live performance? That's intense! I hope they were spread out during the day a little. Did you have to sprint from theatre to theatre at all? :lol:

Arrived in NYC at 8am, went to a 9am Rockettes Christmas show, 12 noon Moscow Cats Theatre in Tribeca, back to Midtown (sprinting involved) for a 2:00 off-Broadway show called Bingo, and an 8:00 performance of Spamalot (which I saw in NYC 5 times---loved this show!!!!) And then to Greyhound---I didn't even stay evernight, just headed back to Pittsburgh!

It was crazy, but I was definitely running on adrenaline!

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved