• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Bre9695

Bre9695

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

Now that the show is over, I find myself kinda depressed, I read that in an article though, that its normal to get depressed after the end of a long running show. But I think I am going to start reading the Monk books. It will be exciting to read about the episodes and look forward to new books coming out. I know its not the same thing as the show but it will be something to look forward to. I can't tell you how much I loved that show and find myself watching You Tube and other interviews with all the characters. What show can I look forward to now? That was the first show I looked for in the tv guide. I am excited about next month when Psyche and White Collar come back, but with new nights, it won't be the same. I know I'll get used to it, I love those shows also.

So, I am going to the book store today and hoepfully there will be some Monk Books to buy. Any good recommendations for the first book I shouold get?

Thank you to the Community.

Bre

#2 Dervish

Dervish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:34 PM

I enjoyed Mr. Monk goes to Hawaii. Of course, it's the only one I've read so far!

#3 Bre9695

Bre9695

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:49 PM

lol Thank you, I will be sure to look for that one. Hopefully oneday they'll make a movie out of one of the books.

#4 LovAdrian

LovAdrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

You know what? I'm glad that I began reading Monk books only three or four months ago, because now that there won't be any new episodes I can have some confort with them. I've already read "Mr. Monk Goes to the Firehouse" and Monk and The Blue Flu". They are a delight! Now I'm waiting for some other four books I ordered. They'll probably be delivered on the first week of January. And I'm planning on reading them very, very slowly, so I can go on during next year without having a depression due to Monk absence...
LovAdrian.

Now that Monk is about to leave...

...Am I crying? 'Cause it feels like I'm crying all the time...
... I'm gonna be all alone. What a time to be me...

Monk: Tell me what to do.
Randy: I can't do that.
Monk: Well, can you find somebody who will tell me what to do?

Natalie:
So, Mr. Monk, what do you want for Christmas?
Monk: A miracle.

#5 Bre9695

Bre9695

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

Thank you LovAdrian, I just called the bookstore in town, and they don't have any so I guess I'll be ordering them online as well. I think I know what to ask my husband for Christmas...lol.

Thanks

Bre

#6 Teresa1643

Teresa1643

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:44 PM

Thank you LovAdrian, I just called the bookstore in town, and they don't have any so I guess I'll be ordering them online as well. I think I know what to ask my husband for Christmas...lol.

Thanks

Bre

Here's an announcement from Facebook:

It's the annual Mysteries to Die For Holiday Bash... with food, drinks, and books aplenty. And if that wasn't enough, Lee Goldberg will sign his newest original MONK novel MR. MONK IN TROUBLE, answer questions, and regale everyone with funny stories. Come by and share in the revelry of good fellowship, laughter, and all manner of literary delights.

But if you can't make it, you can still get your own, personally signed copy of the MONK book sent anywhere on the planet by contacting Mysteries to Die For at mail@Mysteriestodiefor.com or calling (805) 374-0084.

Mr. Monk in Trouble Signing and Holiday Party
Time: 1:00PM Saturday, December 12th
<i> I can't debate you if you talk gibberish that sounds kind of like something a chimney sweep from Mary Poppins would say.</i>

#7 Bre9695

Bre9695

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:51 PM

Here's an announcement from Facebook:

But if you can't make it, you can still get your own, personally signed copy of the MONK book sent anywhere on the planet by contacting Mysteries to Die For at mail@Mysteriestodiefor.com or calling (805) 374-0084.

Thank you! I think I just might do that. I thought about getting the autographed pictures, but I never did it.

Bre

#8 1monkfan_pielover

1monkfan_pielover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

I enjoyed Mr. Monk goes to Hawaii. Of course, it's the only one I've read so far!

Sounds good. I will have to check it nextime I am in a bookstore.
Neal: You guys should get those Christmas tree air fresheners.
Peter: You don't like the van. Noted.

--------
Shawn: I'm just getting started, you giant cockroach. You know what? That was out of line. I apologize to cockroaches everywhere, especially Jiminy Cricket, although for the first time in thirty years, it occurs to me... he might be a cricket.
Gus: Of course he's a cricket.

#9 Randysgirl

Randysgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:40 AM

I bought "Mr. Monk Goes to Hawaii" and "Mr Monk Goes to Germany" for my husband for Christmas tonight. I have already read "Mr. Monk and the Firehouse" and I was waiting to read "Mr. Monk and the Blue Flu" until my husband was finished with it, but I think I'm gonna have to read it ASAP! Truthfully I bought the Germany one because I am a Dr. Kroger fan (I miss him SO much... loved Stanley! :( ) and the book is about Adrian following Dr. Kroger to a conference in Germany. I had a hard time trying to decide which ones I wanted. I was SO tempted to buy them all!

In all fairness although they are worth it, I thought they were kind of pricey. I paid $7.99 each. I was going to wait and find used copies but I wanted to have them for Christmas. Paperbacks sure have gotten expensive!

I loved the Firehouse one, though. In a way the books are almost better than the show (except that you can't see it) because Lee Goldberg can have Adrian go anywhere and do anything. Can you imagine how much it would have cost for the cast to go to Paris, Germany and Hawaii to shoot those "books"? Of course, it would have been really cool though...
Stottlemeyer tells Randy that Adrian is alive...

Captain Leland Stottlemeyer: You look disappointed.
Lt. Randall Disher: No, it's just... this is the best song I ever wrote.
Captain Leland Stottlemeyer: Well, save it! It's a great song! He's gonna die someday.
Lt. Randall Disher: But you're not gonna shoot him.
Captain Leland Stottlemeyer: You never know.

Mr. Monk is On The Run Part II

Check out my "Monk" fan fiction, and other stories! Reviews are appreciated!
Fanfiction.net

#10 WisconsinLovesTony

WisconsinLovesTony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

I tweeted Lee Goldberg and said I was going to start reading the books as well to lift me out of this Monkless funk. He said he certainly hoped they would be able to uplift me. Our local library has them all. Not sure if I'll be able to read them slowly as I think Lov Adrian suggested, but it's a great thought.

#11 Bre9695

Bre9695

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:58 PM

Oh, that's a great idea, I will call the libraryright now. I have a friend who will read them with me, I'm glad to share it with someone. I know what you mean about being in a Monkless funk though.

Bre

#12 Randysgirl

Randysgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:34 AM

I'm a total library-a-holic and actually not that long ago they had Mr. Monk is Miserable in their book sale stuff. I am kicking myself for not picking it up because it was only like a dollar or something! :angry: They only took cash, though and I didn't have any on me at the time. Actually I prefer the paperbacks because they are easier to read.

It's so funny because when I bought my husband the Firehouse one I asked him if I could read it after he finished it. He let me borrow it bout made me promise not to crease it or anything. Now that's a true Monk fan right there! It was so hard for me not to bend the cover back, because that's usually what I end up doing to make paperbacks easier to read. But the book still looks brand new!
Stottlemeyer tells Randy that Adrian is alive...

Captain Leland Stottlemeyer: You look disappointed.
Lt. Randall Disher: No, it's just... this is the best song I ever wrote.
Captain Leland Stottlemeyer: Well, save it! It's a great song! He's gonna die someday.
Lt. Randall Disher: But you're not gonna shoot him.
Captain Leland Stottlemeyer: You never know.

Mr. Monk is On The Run Part II

Check out my "Monk" fan fiction, and other stories! Reviews are appreciated!
Fanfiction.net

#13 Bre9695

Bre9695

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:42 AM

I'm a total library-a-holic and actually not that long ago they had Mr. Monk is Miserable in their book sale stuff. I am kicking myself for not picking it up because it was only like a dollar or something! :angry: They only took cash, though and I didn't have any on me at the time. Actually I prefer the paperbacks because they are easier to read.

It's so funny because when I bought my husband the Firehouse one I asked him if I could read it after he finished it. He let me borrow it bout made me promise not to crease it or anything. Now that's a true Monk fan right there! It was so hard for me not to bend the cover back, because that's usually what I end up doing to make paperbacks easier to read. But the book still looks brand new!

You'll probably see one again, maybe at garage sales etc. so keep looking. I just ordered that one online, Mr Monk goes to the Firehouse, can't wait til it gets here. I hope my husband wants to read it too, he is a fan, but not as much as me. Happy reading.

Bre

#14 Beholder

Beholder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:17 AM

Now that the show is over, I find myself kinda depressed, I read that in an article though, that its normal to get depressed after the end of a long running show. But I think I am going to start reading the Monk books. It will be exciting to read about the episodes and look forward to new books coming out. I know its not the same thing as the show but it will be something to look forward to. I can't tell you how much I loved that show and find myself watching You Tube and other interviews with all the characters. What show can I look forward to now? That was the first show I looked for in the tv guide. I am excited about next month when Psyche and White Collar come back, but with new nights, it won't be the same. I know I'll get used to it, I love those shows also.

So, I am going to the book store today and hoepfully there will be some Monk Books to buy. Any good recommendations for the first book I shouold get?

Bre

#15 Beholder

Beholder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:28 AM

Bre

Start w/ #1...an odd #...BUT the start of the Monk books...Monk SHOULD approve...eventhough , in his head he probably thinks of #1 as #2 :rolleyes: My advice...start w/ #1 & enjoy..as they are all good...like the series.

B
A little behind in my reading (Work stress & thus overtime, not paid for ;) & other RL) ...but enjoying all ...in order. :)

Edited by Beholder, 14 December 2009 - 02:32 AM.

#16 Bre9695

Bre9695

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:52 AM

Start w/ #1...an odd #...BUT the start of the Monk books...Monk SHOULD approve...eventhough , in his head he probably thinks of #1 as #2 :rolleyes: My advice...start w/ #1 & enjoy..as they are all good...like the series.

B
A little behind in my reading (Work stress & thus overtime, not paid for ;) & other RL) ...but enjoying all ...in order. :)

Thanks for replying, don't work too hard and thanks for the advice. I thought about that also, so I searched for which was the first book and will start with that one. Nice to talk to others about missing Monk, but hopefully it will get better later on.

Bre

#17 seniorgal

seniorgal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:14 PM

Bre

This is the first time posting for me. I have been reading some of the posts/threads for a while on Monk forum

I like the Monk books by Lee Goldberg! I discovered them about a year ago and have read 4 so far. I don't think it matters which one you start with, but I try to read them in the order they were written. I have a few more that I haven't started, as I was saving them for when the TV show was over. (I found my first Monk book at the library (used) for $1.00! what luck!)

That's one of the reasons I'm thrilled that Monk didn't die at the finale - so he can live on in the books. Plus I love him & the show.
Overall, I was very pleased with the finale, except I would like to have seen Sharona on-screen more, especially in scenes w/Randy. Trudy having a daughter came out of left-field, but I was OK with it. I think everything was worked out well, and the "door left open" down the road for Monk & Natalie. Maybe in the books. (Hint, hint, Lee?)

#18 Bre9695

Bre9695

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:13 PM

This is the first time posting for me. I have been reading some of the posts/threads for a while on Monk forum

I like the Monk books by Lee Goldberg! I discovered them about a year ago and have read 4 so far. I don't think it matters which one you start with, but I try to read them in the order they were written. I have a few more that I haven't started, as I was saving them for when the TV show was over. (I found my first Monk book at the library (used) for $1.00! what luck!)

That's one of the reasons I'm thrilled that Monk didn't die at the finale - so he can live on in the books. Plus I love him & the show.
Overall, I was very pleased with the finale, except I would like to have seen Sharona on-screen more, especially in scenes w/Randy. Trudy having a daughter came out of left-field, but I was OK with it. I think everything was worked out well, and the "door left open" down the road for Monk & Natalie. Maybe in the books. (Hint, hint, Lee?)

I was glad that Monk lived on also, I was scared that he was going to die. The finale did leave a lot of room for new books with all the new relationships going on, there's a chance of a reunion right?. I hope I have the same luck at the library today!

Bre

#19 tonimarie

tonimarie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

This is too funny! Last year I bought all the books in paperback but could NOT stand to bend the covers, so I went and repurchased all the book in hardback! So now I have double the Monk! -And of course they all look brand new!
Proud member of the Badger Nation! - (Thanks to JenBee for the nickname!)

#20 Virgo

Virgo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

This is too funny! Last year I bought all the books in paperback but could NOT stand to bend the covers, so I went and repurchased all the book in hardback! So now I have double the Monk! -And of course they all look brand new!

For me there's nothing like the feel of a fresh, new paperback that fits nicely into one hand for easy reading. Then if I want to read it again later, which I do for the Monk series, the old one has been recycled for paper and I purchase a fresh one from Amazon. Just a quirk. (I think Monk would understand, or not. :blink:)

...and the "door left open" down the road for Monk & Natalie. Maybe in the books. (Hint, hint, Lee?)

Yes!
And hoping that somehow Randy can be written in so that no one from the main cast will be lost?

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved