#122 Aragarna

Aragarna

Team DeKay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,583 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:32 AM

Congratulations Ann !
Thank you, and everyone else working on the organisation of the forum, for keeping it as tidy and welcoming as possible ! :)

ZhL3auH.png

Check out TDK TV !

#123 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,564 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

Thank you all for the good wishes.

Now that so many of you found your way to this thread, I hope you'll post your thoughts/suggestions for improving the forum. The only reason this forum works is because its members are great. It wouldn't be anything without all of you.

Edited by LI_Ann, 03 February 2012 - 12:01 PM.

sig2013sept_zps95f63dc0.jpg

#124 Gwnevere

Gwnevere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

Sorry I'm late to the party, but congratulations, LI_Ann!

We don't ask. We don't care.

#125 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • 22,564 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

1328444077[/url]' post='1534978']
Sorry I'm late to the party, but congratulations, LI_Ann!

Thank you.
I hope to see more of you here on the forum!

#126 CarolS

CarolS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Congratulations, Ann!
CarolS

Posted Image

#127 VonnieS

VonnieS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

I second that. Congrats Ann You are doing a fabulous job. And thanks againg for all your help!
Vonnie

#128 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • 22,564 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

Thanks to everyone who helped bump the spammer off page one last night. There were reports from elledeegee and AdoreFedora and several emails from Pamela in my Inbox. You're all so protective of our online community. I think the members of this forum are the best!

A special thanks to PokeyShadow for so many bumps. If it makes you feel any better Pokey, I was away from the computer working on the White Collar items for the raffle/auction. I didn't see the spammer until he/she had already created twenty-six (26) new threads. It felt really good to delete all of them and ban that user but it probably would have felt even better if I was able to do while they were online. :D

Edited by LI_Ann, 29 March 2012 - 10:21 PM.

#129 Pamela11

Pamela11

SHOOT THE MOON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,684 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Thanks to everyone who helped bump the spammer off page one last night. There were reports from elledeegee and AdoreFedora and several emails from Pamela in my Inbox. You're all so protective of our online community. I think the members of this forum are the best!

A special thanks to PokeyShadow for so many bumps. If it makes you feel any better Pokey, I was away from the computer working on the White Collar items for the raffle/auction. I didn't see the spammer until he/she had already created twenty-six (26) new threads. It felt really good to delete all of them and ban that user but it probably would have felt even better if I was able to do while they were online. :D

Thanks for safeguarding the forum, Ann. :)

PBASBanner62.jpg

#130 bbeyes

bbeyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

I've noticed promos for Fairly Legal running on NBC Network shows (understandable because of the NBC/USA connection), but also on ABC Network primetime shows. I hope the same is done for White Collar come June! The recent visibility of Matt Bomer (his Glee appearance, etc.) should bring new viewers to White Collar and I think promos in various outlets could help these potential new viewers find the show when it comes back on. (Are you listening, Powers That Be?) :rolleyes:

#131 Aragarna

Aragarna

Team DeKay

• Members
  • 7,583 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Re-quoting Ann's post :

I'm actually glad you brought up the idea of having things "sorted a bit." We (Nancy, Cathy and I) have been trying to keep this forum as organized as we can since day one but until USA made me a moderator back in February, I couldn't make changes on my own. It would be great if the members posted suggestions on ways to improve the forum. That's why I changed the old forum etiquette thread to WC Online Community and asked everyone to contribute their thoughts. Unfortunately, so far no one has contributed any ideas on how to improve the forum. This forum can only be as good as the members make it. I hate when things overlap too and I'm very open to your suggestions. I've made a few attempts to get that discussion going but it hasn't caught on yet. Hopefully, you could get it started. What changes would you like to see on this forum? WC Forum Online Community

As far as USA is concerned, they do have some rules and I don't think they're overly restrictive. The main focus of these forums is their shows but in the individual fan threads for the actors/actresses there is discussion of their other work. Of course some members don't care about the actor's other work. They're here because of White Collar. Overall I think this forum has a decent number of discussion threads. If you look at the other USA forums, ours is probably the most organized.

I do think this forum is as well organized as it can be. My only complain is that we are in one forum, with no sub-forums or categories. So threads are sorted by most recent posts, and we often forget about threads going on page 2, or even farer.
If we had categories, threads would be easier to find, being always at the same place, and some would not be lost.
It is so much easier to follow conversations, and have more threads without being lost. You could easily choose to ignore topics you're not interested about etc...
Now, trouble is, I'm sure we could do that.

This is why I wish there was an independant WC forum that we could module and handle totally on our own. But I guess so many of us have made this forum their home, that not many would want to start over.

Edited by Aragarna, 05 May 2012 - 02:46 PM.

ZhL3auH.png

Check out TDK TV !

#132 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • 22,564 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

Re-quoting Ann's post :

I do think this forum is as well organized as it can be. My only complain is that we are in one forum, with no sub-forums or categories. So threads are sorted by most recent posts, and we often forget about threads going on page 2, or even farer.
If we had categories, threads would be easier to find, being always at the same place, and some would not be lost.
It is so much easier to follow conversations, and have more threads without being lost. You could easily choose to ignore topics you're not interested about etc...
Now, trouble is, I'm sure we could do that.

This is why I wish there was an independant WC forum that we could module and handle totally on our own. But I guess so many of us have made this forum their home, that not many would want to start over.

Thank you for posting some suggestions. I'm willing to work on making the categories easier to locate but I doubt we're going to get sub-forums. There's only one USA Forum with sub-forums, LOCI and they were created years ago by a previous Admin. Since Admin is the only one who can create sub-forums, I could ask but I'm guessing there's a reason they haven't continued the practice.

I tried to sort the relevant threads into categories in the Index but it's not as good as it could be. A while back we were going to alphabetize the thread names within the categories. CathysOpinion did a lot of work on that and sent me an alphabetized index but I didn't post it yet hoping to alphabetize or rename the categories as well. There's no standard naming convention in place for threads and not everyone uses good judgment when naming a thread so that complicates the process. I haven't figured out the best way to do it yet. If you have suggestions for that, I'm all ears! If the Index was better organized, that would be helpful but there are other ways to sort the forum topics.

The forum has everal different viewing options available for members. There is a "View New Content" only button at the top right of the screen, sorting options at the bottom of the screen and options within your personal settings. If you choose to view more topics on a page, the "Page 2" issue would go away. There's also a linear option available. You might want to try them and you might find something to your liking.

These are the sorting options available at the bottom of the screen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And these are in your personal settings:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by LI_Ann, 05 May 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#133 Duffy

Duffy

Dog Mom

• Members
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

Thank you for posting some suggestions. I'm willing to work on making the categories easier to locate but I doubt we're going to get sub-forums. There's only one USA Forum with sub-forums, LOCI and they were created years ago by a previous Admin. Since Admin is the only one who can create sub-forums, I could ask but I'm guessing there's a reason they haven't continued the practice.

I tried to sort the relevant threads into categories in the Index but it's not as good as it could be. A while back we were going to alphabetize the thread names within the categories. CathysOpinion did a lot of work on that and sent me an alphabetized index but I didn't post it yet hoping to alphabetize or rename the categories as well. There's no standard naming convention in place for threads and not everyone uses good judgment when naming a thread so that complicates the process. I haven't figured out the best way to do it yet. If you have suggestions for that, I'm all ears! If the Index was better organized, that would be helpful but there are other ways to sort the forum topics.

The forum has everal different viewing options available for members. There is a "View New Content" only button at the top right of the screen, sorting options at the bottom of the screen and options within your personal settings. If you choose to view more topics on a page, the "Page 2" issue would go away. There's also a linear option available. You might want to try them and you might find something to your liking.

These are the sorting options available at the bottom of the screen.

And these are in your personal settings:

I'm so used to doing it the way it is and I don't think I did any of the arranging. I just come in and click the little button at the beginning of each thread that takes me to the beginning of the posts I haven't seen. I don't think everyone does that. There are many times when something has already been mentioned or talked about and someone new comes in and does it all again. So I think not everyone understands about that little button. I'm open to anything anyone wants to do if it improves how the forum works, but I have no ideas at all.

#134 winterstar

winterstar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

Okay here is my question and/or suggestion - why is there a spoiler thread and a spoiler discussion thread. Are we supposed to post the spoiler on one thread then jump to the discussion thread to talk about it. That seems a little arduous to do. I would like to see the spoiler threads combined. I never know where to comment or anything. I can understand how the speculation thread wants to stay free of spoilers but these two are confusing!

#135 CathysOpinion

CathysOpinion

Collar Nutcase

• Members
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

Okay here is my question and/or suggestion - why is there a spoiler thread and a spoiler discussion thread. Are we supposed to post the spoiler on one thread then jump to the discussion thread to talk about it. That seems a little arduous to do. I would like to see the spoiler threads combined. I never know where to comment or anything. I can understand how the speculation thread wants to stay free of spoilers but these two are confusing!

Some posters just want to read the spoiler info. When others started discussing the spoilers in detail, there were some complaints, so the spoiler discussion thread was started to give everyone what they wanted. Sometimes the spoiler DOES get discussed in the Spoiler thread, but most of those discussions have moved.

If you want to discuss the spoiler that you are posting, you can just go to the discussion thread. I'm sure someone else will post the spoiler in the spoiler thread.
Cathy

Just an FYI, I assist Ann (LI Ann) in managing the White Collar Forum. Ann is an official moderator.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them in the WC Forum Online Community thread.

If you are looking for a specific discussion, then take a took at Ann's very nifty index, WC Forum Index.

#136 CathysOpinion

CathysOpinion

Collar Nutcase

• Members
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

I feel the posts below should be here instead of the Spoiler Discussion Thread to allow those who don't read that thread to be part of this. Any future spoiler information has been edited out.

I don't think spoilers, or more information is kills discussion. Based on how this thread has been mostly even though they are currently filming tells you something right there. The issue about fans being upset by spoilers or too much information is NOT the issue. I'm sorry, I know it makes me terrible, but I don't care if someone finds out something they don't want to hear. Stay off the internet if you don't want to run into spoilers or if you're too sensitive to handle them. It's not my problem if you don't like what you read.

The ONLY thing of import about spoilers from unofficial sources is that the writers have said they would prefer that we do not share the information with everyone. I respect that, and even though it's killing me to not have so many spoilers, I am trying to behave. I'm actually not even looking forward to the season as much. Unlike so many others, spoilers make me excited for what's to come. It feels a bit like a wet blanket has been thrown over my fandom squee. :/ :/

I don't understand why people got all upset about finding out about El's kidnapping. And while I'm sorry that the spoilers found their way into a non-spoiler thread, I don't feel that bad for the fans who didn't want to know. It's called being on the internet.

Kramer was never a bad guy in the sides, so you're wrong there. That was pure speculation the part of forum members. I have read those sides, and I promise there was nothing in them that contained anything about Kramer being "bad". At the worst, it looked like he had a hidden agenda, but he never came off as so cold and nasty as he did on the actual show.

Again, the ONLY important issue here about spoilers should be focused on the wishes of the writers.

Moving on....are there ANY spoilers that are interesting that we can talk about?

.........spoiler info removed .............

The spoilers are one thing, the sides are different. If I read a spoiler, it's my fault if the spoiler was too revealing. I don't want to read the sides though. That is the difference. I also believe if some posters make it a point to avoid spoiler information, they shouldn't see it, without spoiler tags, in a non spoiler thread. That is just rude. That's like going up to my sister and telling her what her husband bought her for her birthday

El's kidnapping was the cliffhanger of Season 3 first half. It wasn't from a spoiler, it was from a side. That is why posters were upset.

As far as Kramer, a person with a hidden agenda could easily be considered 'the bad guy'. I wasn't going to go into detail about what I had read, I posted a 'Cliff Notes' interpretation of it. Spoilers introduced Kramer as Peter's mentor and friend. Finding out the side info, and then having to wait four months to find out what really happened was very irritating.

I don't have any new spoiler information, --------- spoiler info removed -----------

Cathy

Just an FYI, I assist Ann (LI Ann) in managing the White Collar Forum. Ann is an official moderator.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them in the WC Forum Online Community thread.

If you are looking for a specific discussion, then take a took at Ann's very nifty index, WC Forum Index.

#137 Duffy

Duffy

Dog Mom

• Members
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

I feel the posts below should be here instead of the Spoiler Discussion Thread to allow those who don't read that thread to be part of this. Any future spoiler information has been edited out.

This is from Surreal's original post that Cathy moved here:

"I don't think spoilers, or more information is kills discussion. Based on how this thread has been mostly even though they are currently filming tells you something right there. The issue about fans being upset by spoilers or too much information is NOT the issue. I'm sorry, I know it makes me terrible, but I don't care if someone finds out something they don't want to hear. Stay off the internet if you don't want to run into spoilers or if you're too sensitive to handle them. It's not my problem if you don't like what you read.

The ONLY thing of import about spoilers from unofficial sources is that the writers have said they would prefer that we do not share the information with everyone. I respect that, and even though it's killing me to not have so many spoilers, I am trying to behave. I'm actually not even looking forward to the season as much. Unlike so many others, spoilers make me excited for what's to come. It feels a bit like a wet blanket has been thrown over my fandom squee. :/ :/"

I don't think people should have to stay off the internet if they aren't going into a Spoiler Thread or Discussion Thread, which were set up specifically for that information, and it should be the individuals responsibility to be sure they don't see anything by going there. The writers have asked that Sides not be shared on the forum and that should be honored. If you read something on Jeff's or Joe's, or whomever, Tweet then that should go into the spoiler thread, though I don't know if it would be considered a Side or not. The Bolding is mine.

#138 ansel

ansel

• Members
  • 7,691 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

The reason why we have a spoiler thread and spoiler discussion thread is so the people who want to read and discuss spoilers have a place where they can feel free to do just that. And those of us who don't want to know those things have the option to avoid those threads. There is no reason for anyone to have to put that type of information into any of the regular threads. It's common courtesy, it has nothing to do with being "too sensitive" or not liking what we read. And everyone should absolutely respect the writers wishes regarding no sharing of sides. That too is common courtesy!

final+glimpse+copy-001.jpg

#139 winterstar

winterstar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

1336508479[/url]' post='1558916']
The reason why we have a spoiler thread and spoiler discussion thread is so the people who want to read and discuss spoilers have a place where they can feel free to do just that. And those of us who don't want to know those things have the option to avoid those threads. There is no reason for anyone to have to put that type of information into any of the regular threads. It's common courtesy, it has nothing to do with being "too sensitive" or not liking what we read. And everyone should absolutely respect the writers wishes regarding no sharing of sides. That too is common courtesy!

Let me say I completely understand why there is a spoiler thread. That was *not* my point. For those that like spoilers it just seems to be a pain to jump from one thread to the other to discuss. The only reason I posted here is that Ann asked for people to make suggestions to improve the board in a different thread (sorry don't remember which one). But it seems like suggestions here are not very welcome so I will just leave it at that.

#140 LI_Ann

LI_Ann

Top Gun

• Moderators
  • 22,564 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Let me say I completely understand why there is a spoiler thread. That was *not* my point. For those that like spoilers it just seems to be a pain to jump from one thread to the other to discuss. The only reason I posted here is that Ann asked for people to make suggestions to improve the board in a different thread (sorry don't remember which one). But it seems like suggestions here are not very welcome so I will just leave it at that.

First, let me say thank you for posting your suggestion in this thread. That's why it's here and all suggestions are welcome.

That said, it's next to impossible to please everyone. Once upon a time we had just one Spoiler thread. Some members felt that it was way too time consuming to have to sift through pages of posts where members were "discussing" the spoilers to actually find the spoiler itself. They wanted to go to the spoiler thread and find a link to an interview, article or whatever containing the spoiler. In an effort to please both spoiler camps, the Spoiler Discussion thread was created.

Edited by LI_Ann, 08 May 2012 - 07:53 PM.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved