• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BPKeane

BPKeane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:57 AM

I live in NJ just minutes away from Summit I was happy to see Randy Disher moving to NJ to become the new Chief of Police.
This must have surpised a lot of people from Summit, the mega hits on google website and forums have been checked out by many
Monk viewers. How did you Monk Fans ratethe last show?. From one to ten I gave it a seven.

#2 itsjustmehere

itsjustmehere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:29 AM

I live in NJ just minutes away from Summit I was happy to see Randy Disher moving to NJ to become the new Chief of Police.
This must have surpised a lot of people from Summit, the mega hits on google website and forums have been checked out by many
Monk viewers. How did you Monk Fans ratethe last show?.  From one to ten I gave it a seven.

I'd give it a 9, I thought it wrapped up everything nicely.
I don't think it will be a spin off show but I can see a tv special where Randy calls Monk to have him help solve a case and we get to see how our favorite characters are doing.

#3 nimesay

nimesay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:41 PM

I'd give it a 9, I thought it wrapped up everything nicely.
I don't think it will be a spin off show but I can see a tv special where Randy calls Monk to have him help solve a case and we get to see how our favorite characters are doing.

I give it a 10!
I think a spin-off for Randy would be great ONLY if the writers do a good job of it. It would be a bummer if it was lame.

#4 KevinMonkFan

KevinMonkFan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

I actually live in Summit, NJ was my friends in town and I laughed our head off when we thought of Disher actually becoming Chief of Police of our town! That would be soooo funny! :) Can you imagine walking down the street and seeing Chief Randy Disher signing autographs as leader of not just the force, but also as head of the Randy Disher project? lol

I would love it if Disher/Sharona actually did live in my town!

#5 boone292929

boone292929

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:04 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the Writers' Office for Monk is in Summit, its where they came up with the ideas for each episode.

I could be wrong, but I'm not.

#6 jseven03

jseven03

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:12 PM

Yea so there is a facebook page called Summit Police Chief Randall Disher and thought you guys might wanted to know if you didn't already.

#7 Hipparchus

Hipparchus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:37 AM

I could just imagine a Disher series. The title card could be a little yellow memo with "Disher" being written in red ink over top of it, because Randy takes alot of notes. That would be so awesome! :lol:

#8 SomeCallMeJim

SomeCallMeJim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:53 PM

I rated the final episode a 6.5. It was really good as an episode, but there were a few too many continuity issues for me to really dig it as the finale Monk deserved.

As far as a spinoff goes, I think the ONLY way a "Disher, Chief of Police" series would work would be to have a STRONG supporting character/cast. Randy was a really amusing character, but I don't know if he had the depth to stand up as the solo star in a crime drama/comedy genre series. Every comic needs their straight man. Barney Fife had Sheriff Andy. Costello had Abbott. Etc. Andy would make a great lead in a comedy or dramady series, but you'd need that straight line to do it right. Of course, Sharona is up there with Randy, and maybe the idea is for her to take that role, but who knows if the network and Bitty have resolved any issues from the past.

It would be an interesting series though. Even if it didn't become an instant hit like Monk, I'd likely tune in to watch it.

#9 Dervish

Dervish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:17 PM

They could put Disher's character in another TV show. Which show is a good question, one which I do not have an answer for.

There is at least one precedent. When "Homicide: Life on the Street" was canceled, it wasn't the end for Detective Munch. He didn't get his own series, but he became a supporting character in Law and Order SVU, where he stays to this day.

While an entire TV show devoted to a supporting character may not work out, moving the supporting character to another series may work out just fine depending on the show and the chemistry between the characters.

It may not be the right answer for Randy since he's a Chief now, but I leave it up to writers to come up with something plausible and interesting. I merely make this point to illustrate that there are a multitude of options.

Edited by Dervish, 12 December 2009 - 04:18 PM.

#10 AndyMan

AndyMan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:19 PM

I wonder how many pictures of late have been taken of the Summit, NJ Police Department ... ???

- the building
- their squad cars
- the entry door
- the chief's office (if anyone got that far) :lol:

#11 Beholder

Beholder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:05 AM

I LOVED that Randy went to NJ. I was born there, lived there for a long time. Lived in Middlesex Co, still remember the county fair. I entered my animal drawings, horses to be exact (Always dreamed of them & now own one) ... & usually won some sort of ribbon. I remember the shore, Sandy Hook & Pt Pleasant, my 2 faves. Sandy Hook ,especially. I remember blueberry picking & stories of the Jersey Devil. I still love NJ eventhough... I am a true "gosh darn yankee" :) I am now living in the south..& love it too. NJ was a great place to grow up.
Good choice Randy.

B
Still a Mets fan. :)

#12 Randysgirl

Randysgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:33 AM

OMG, thanks for letting us know about that Facebook page for Police Chief Randall Disher. That's hilarious and I see that Andy Brekman has been posting on there as well! I found Jason's name on Facebook and sent him a friend request so we'll see what happens! :)

As much as I'd like to see Jason as Randy in another series, I really don't think it would work. I'm sure the writing would be much better, but look what happened when Joey from Friends got his own series. Maybe that's a really bad comparison because there have been several successful spinoffs; Frasier for one. But Randy was part of an ensemble cast. If he were to get his own show, he wouldn't have Leland to back him up, and we wouldn't have Natalie or Adrian either.

I'd honestly like to see him get a part on GH or another show. I've read that he's a big GH fan (General Hospital, btw). I'm not a soap watcher anymore, but I'd watch to see him! ;)

Edited by Randysgirl, 14 December 2009 - 02:41 AM.

Stottlemeyer tells Randy that Adrian is alive...

Captain Leland Stottlemeyer: You look disappointed.
Lt. Randall Disher: No, it's just... this is the best song I ever wrote.
Captain Leland Stottlemeyer: Well, save it! It's a great song! He's gonna die someday.
Lt. Randall Disher: But you're not gonna shoot him.
Captain Leland Stottlemeyer: You never know.

Mr. Monk is On The Run Part II

Check out my "Monk" fan fiction, and other stories! Reviews are appreciated!
Fanfiction.net

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved