• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mara

Mara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:34 AM

What could Trudy's "bread and butter" possibly mean? Was it referring to someone involved with her employment, Adrian's, or simply something meant to throw amateur detectives off? :unsure:

#2 jdiperla

jdiperla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:42 AM

I think this means something about seperating for a while and meeting up again. This to me is the ONLY possible indication that she may still be alive in Witness protection. But again, I doubt it and I think she meant it more on a spiritual level than a real one.

#3 Mara

Mara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

Aside from things on your grocery shopping list, "bread & butter" usually is associated with your job and how you earn your living.

#4 jdiperla

jdiperla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

From wikipedia, under Bread and butter:
Bread and butter is a superstitious phrase from the 19th and early 20th centuries, typically used by young couples walking together when temporarily separated by an obstacle, such as a pole or another person.

USE:
A couple is walking together, holding hands, and encounter an obstacle. Their hands separate, they say "bread and butter," pass the obstacle, and hold hands again. In this case, it is spoken to prevent bad luck that might happen as a result of being separated.

Non-Superstitious use:
It is also a term used to refer to a primary ability or basic function, that which is central or fundamental to one's business, survival, or income. For example, an election campaign may say "Our focus is going to be on bread-and-butter issues."

#5 Mara

Mara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

From wikipedia, under Bread and butter:
Bread and butter is a superstitious phrase from the 19th and early 20th centuries, typically used by young couples walking together when temporarily separated by an obstacle, such as a pole or another person.

USE:
A couple is walking together, holding hands, and encounter an obstacle. Their hands separate, they say "bread and butter," pass the obstacle, and hold hands again. In this case, it is spoken to prevent bad luck that might happen as a result of being separated.

Wow, thanks for your post! I never knew it also meant the separating and holding hands again. That would fit perfectly with Monk & Trudy.

#6 supergrape

supergrape

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:16 PM

Oh thanks for that information jdiperla! I also never knew that couples used to say that.. Interesting..

#7 BourneAgain

BourneAgain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:19 PM

Wow, thanks for your post! I never knew it also meant the separating and holding hands again. That would fit perfectly with Monk & Trudy.

o.O... They explained it in an episode of Monk--Mr. Monk Meets Dale the Whale. Did you not watch that episode?
Have you ever wanted to watch an episode in which Shawn, Juliet, and Abigail are trapped in an elevator together?
Or would you rather see Shawn battle the Terminator?
Or is an undercover assignment at the Renaissance Faire sound more interesting to you?
But have you ever wanted to see Shawn have a brother?
And if you loved "Shot in the Dark", you'll love the suspense when Shawn goes up against a group of serial killers!
Check out all of these scripts here!

#8 Mara

Mara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:57 PM

There were a few episodes I missed, and that had to be one of them.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved