• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ingog

ingog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:54 AM

Does anyone know why she left the show? Was she asked to leave or did she have other things to do?

#2 DisherTheories

DisherTheories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:48 AM

Does anyone know why she left the show? Was she asked to leave or did she have other things to do?

The details were never spelled out, but from what I understand, during the third season Bitty, Ted and Jason all tried to renegotiate thier contracts (before they were up for renegotiation) and it didn't work. The official wording is that she was released from her contract (so she didn't quit, nor was she fired). The episode Mr. Monk and the Gameshow was filmed during the renegotiation time and so Bitty, Jason and Ted are not it it, but Kevin Dorfman is. It was, supposedly, filmed to prove that Monk could go on without the other three co-stars, and it's one of my least favorite episodes ever. But I'm glad Bitty will be making a final appearance this year! Yay!
aka CrystalSmith until my account works again.

"I'm not crazy, I'm just a fan."

http://www.ucmensoctetfan.weebly.com

#3 DramaQueenBroadway

DramaQueenBroadway

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:46 PM

I am too...I heard that the reason she left was supposedly due to disagreements about her contract, but I don't know much about it because that was about the time I started watching Monk.

Shawn: I dazzle...I stretch...I dazzle and I stretch...
Shawn:Spell banana
Contestant:
Definition please?
Shawn:
A yellow fruit. Also a yellow pudding...a very delicious pudding.
Contestant:
Can you use it in a sentence please?
Shawn:Anna Banana would like to hear Venus by Bananarama....banana
Shawn-"don't be Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Marzipan"
Gus-"Azkaban"
Shawn-"I've heard it both ways!"
My name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner Gus "Silly Pants" Jackson
"Boom...boom boom...MUFFINS!!!!!"
"Boom...boom...boom THIS THING!!!!!"
"You don't call him Binky?"
"We do now!"
Shawn: Hello my name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner M.C. Clap Your Handz
WARNING: DATES ON CALANDER ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR
"I love due dates. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by"
DramaQueenBroadway: All of the Law...none of the Order!
Twitter: @DramaQueenDiva

Youtube: KAASL4

#4 DisherTheories

DisherTheories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

I am too...I heard that the reason she left was supposedly due to disagreements about her contract, but I don't know much about it because that was about the time I started watching Monk.

Well, yeah. But you could say that Ted and Jason all had disagreements with their contracts, since they all wanted to renegotiate their contracts at the same time. LOL>

#5 Tami

Tami

Monk Magnet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:48 PM

Well, yeah. But you could say that Ted and Jason all had disagreements with their contracts, since they all wanted to renegotiate their contracts at the same time. LOL>

What's the basis for your claim that they "all" wanted to renegotiate their contracts? And what is the basis for your claim that Game Show was written without Sharona, Stottlemeyer and Disher to prove to them that "Monk" could go on without them?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming
that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted
~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#6 DisherTheories

DisherTheories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:06 PM

What's the basis for your claim that they "all" wanted to renegotiate their contracts? And what is the basis for your claim that Game Show was written without Sharona, Stottlemeyer and Disher to prove to them that "Monk" could go on without them?

B-cuz...that's the way it wuz. I might need to email myself the posts via time machine to prove it, thouvh. :)

Link for the Bitty, Ted and Jason renegotiation.

Another post from that era...

Wednesday, September 1, 2004
B-B-B-BYE, SHARONA!
With the first half of the latest 'Monk' season over, news has just come out that Bitty Schram is leaving her role of Sharona Fleming, Adrian Monk's nurse and assistant.

Already several theories as to the reason are floating around:
1] She left to pursue other interests.
2] Creative differences/The producers want to take the show in another direction.
3] Or the usual wrangling over contracts and money

I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised. Three out of the last four episodes contained variations that could have suggested options for them to explore.

"Mr. Monk and the Employee of the Month" introduced us to his former partner, who had been unjustly removed from the force because of a drug charge. There might be a need to bring him back in another episode so that they could team up again on an old case of theirs.

"Mr. Monk and the Girl Who Cried Wolf" found Sharona taking a leave of absence from her job because she thought she was going crazy. (It was the old 'Gaslight' treatment.) While she was gone, Adrian was left in the "care" of a sassy nurse who rattled his mental equilibrium.

"Mr. Monk and the Game Show" didn't have any of the other regulars, as Adrian travelled down to L.A. so that he could help his former father-in-law investigate the possibility of cheating on a game show he was producing.

(It seems that the actors who played Captain Stottlemeyer and Lt. Randy Disher were also finagling for contract renegotiations. I guess this episode was meant to show the trio that the show could survive without them.)

The game show episode also re-introduced a character from the past - Monk's nerdy upstairs neighbor who could also return to "help" in the investigations.

But as for a new character with feminine pulchritude, apparently the producers are now casting about for an actress to play a widow in her late thirties who works as a bartender. The character description would be a bit dismaying in itself; but I know it will be just a starting point in a collaboration between writers and actress to flesh out the role.

I remember when I first heard the description of the Enterprise crew for 'Star Trek: The Next Generation'. Those thumbnail sketches left a lot to be desired. But once those roles were cast and the actors began to explore their own backgrounds as well as new worlds, they quickly rivalled the original crew in popularity among the fan base.

Actually, I'm more interested in the show's inner reality - how are they going to splain away Sharona's departure?

Are they going to kill her off? I don't think it would work - Adrian Monk is still too fragile after the death of his wife. The loss of his nurse, who serves as an anchor and a link to the outside world, would have been overwhelmingly catastrophic. (It even seems unthinkable that he'll be okay without her working for him at all, even if he doesn't have her death hanging over him.)

Sharona Fleming's background is back in New Jersey; that's where her family is from, where her mother and aunt still reside. (Her sister should be still in California, pursuing an acting career.)

It seems the most viable option would be to move Sharona and her son Benjy back to Jersey, perhaps to employ her nursing skills in the care of her Mom or some other relative suddenly stricken as an invalid.

(I highly doubt that she'd ever reconcile with her ex-husband, but if it's ever mentioned that Sharona and her son were in Chicago, then she's back with the lout.)

Having worked with the concept of a TV Universe for so many years, I'm not so distraught about Ms. Schram's departure from 'Monk'. I know that somewhere outside the show's inner reality, Sharona and Benjy will continue their lives. And even though we won't see it, perhaps Monk might receive a postcard from them every now and again. (Not sure how he'd feel about opening envelopes.....)

Whatever lies in the future for Sharona, I wish Bitty Schram the best of luck with her career. As an actress, she was distinctive, cute, funny, and a breath of fresh air; a sexy woman wo could play comedy and drama in equal measure. I'm hoping we'll see her again in another series that can showcase her talents as well as 'Monk' did.

Once we know what Sharona's destiny is beyond the scope of the show, I may return to this topic and speculate on where she may end up in the TV Universe.

Phew! I thought this would be just a "Bitty" post, but that was a lot of typing!

I need a hand-wipe.....

BCnU!
Toby

Edited by DisherTheories, 21 September 2009 - 07:24 PM.

#7 Tami

Tami

Monk Magnet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:34 PM

B-cuz...that's the way it wuz. I might need to email myself the posts via time machine to prove it, thouvh. :)

Link for the Bitty, Ted and Jason renegotiation.

Another post from that era...

That's not necessarily "the way it wuz" ... that's what was rumored (or "rumbled") to be the way it was ... And that's still all rumor ... "sources indicate" ... :lol:

~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#8 DisherTheories

DisherTheories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

That's not necessarily "the way it wuz" ... that's what was rumored (or "rumbled") to be the way it was ... And that's still all rumor ... "sources indicate" ... :lol:

Since the rumors and rumblings were not as pleasant as the 'different directions' than Schrams publisist, I would assume there was some truth to them. And my post wasn't based on those links, but on what was actually posted on the old forum which, for obvious reasons, I cannot dig up. Hence the time machine and the email to myself.

And there was that other article, as well.

Edited by DisherTheories, 21 September 2009 - 07:45 PM.

#9 Tami

Tami

Monk Magnet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

Since the rumors and rumblings were not as pleasant as the 'different directions' than Schrams publisist, I would assume there was some truth to them. And my post wasn't based on those links, but on what was actually posted on the old forum which, for obvious reasons, I cannot dig up. Hence the time machine and the email to myself.

And there was that other article, as well.

In that case, I saved the text of a post at Yahoo Monkfans that quoted a post at the old USA Monk Message Board:

This was posted at Yahoo monkgroups: Sun Jul 25, 2004
3:35 pm

Subject: Bitty rumor

"Posted on the USA Board.

Don't be surprised if Sharona doesn't return next
season....You heard it here first.

>>(Salary demands are one thing if you're the star of
Friends...but if you're a supporting player on a cable
show you best keep your mouth shut)<<"

monkinsider
usanetwork.com newbie posted 07-28-2004 11:29

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or perhaps Bitty should show up for work when she's
scheduled...instead of calling in "sick", holding up
production, and wasting everyone's time and money
(same goes for you "Randy")
------------------------------------------------------------------------

~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#10 DisherTheories

DisherTheories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:09 PM

In that case, I saved the text of a post at Yahoo Monkfans that quoted a post at the old USA Monk Message Board:

Right. That was part of the renegotion ploy. They only part they left out was that Ted was involved as well. Wish I had access to the original, and not a repost of a post from anothe board.

Edited by DisherTheories, 21 September 2009 - 10:10 PM.

#11 SteveMC

SteveMC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:03 AM

I always think people are being greedy when they do this since they make so much already. But they are just asking fair market value I guess and it would be dumb not to ask (unless they remove you from the show of course, then it didn't pay off). The show that really stands out for me is Seinfeld where the supporting cast members were asking for raises almost yearly, nearing the end making $600,000 per episode.

#12 LovAdrian

LovAdrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:30 PM

I always think people are being greedy when they do this since they make so much already. But they are just asking fair market value I guess and it would be dumb not to ask (unless they remove you from the show of course, then it didn't pay off). The show that really stands out for me is Seinfeld where the supporting cast members were asking for raises almost yearly, nearing the end making $600,000 per episode.

There should be a limit for these salaries. The same we see in some sports, where athletes earn lots of money.And the rest of the world just have to live with so little. I don't accept that as normal. Unless, all of the other professionals would earn the same. :D
LovAdrian.

Now that Monk is about to leave...

...Am I crying? 'Cause it feels like I'm crying all the time...
... I'm gonna be all alone. What a time to be me...

Monk: Tell me what to do.
Randy: I can't do that.
Monk: Well, can you find somebody who will tell me what to do?

Natalie:
So, Mr. Monk, what do you want for Christmas?
Monk: A miracle.

#13 gingercookie

gingercookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

There should be a limit for these salaries. The same we see in some sports, where athletes earn lots of money.And the rest of the world just have to live with so little. I don't accept that as normal. Unless, all of the other professionals would earn the same. :D

I agree that it's an insanely high salary, but you're also dealing with a lot of actors that do one sitcom and then fall off the face of the earth. Filming schedules are grueling and then there's cost of living/expenses/travel. I'm not trying to excuse the high salaries... but in the case of Seinfeld a lot of those actors had trouble finding other jobs after that show because they had been so pigeonholed into a "type". The money they made from that show was it until they could bounce back. It took Julia Louis-Dreyfus (who is incredibly funny) almost ten years to get another leading role/steady sitcom work. I'd like to think that the actors on Monk could easily find new projects because they're talented and we're all fans of their work, but there are no guarantees... Even Ms. Schram, who was fantastic as Sharona, sort of disappeared after she left Monk.

I think what's unfair is that the actors/stars of the shows will make half a million, but technicians/designers/writers don't make comparable salaries. It's like that in a lot of forms of entertainment... the people everyone sees are the ones that get the money while those behind the scenes that work longer hours and have lots of advance training are barely above the poverty line.

#14 Nisi

Nisi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:41 AM

I think what's unfair is that the actors/stars of the shows will make half a million, but technicians/designers/writers don't make comparable salaries. It's like that in a lot of forms of entertainment... the people everyone sees are the ones that get the money while those behind the scenes that work longer hours and have lots of advance training are barely above the poverty line.

Yes,THAT is really unfair,I agree with you 1OO %...

#15 DisherTheories

DisherTheories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:12 AM

Yes,THAT is really unfair,I agree with you 1OO %...

The really really sad thing is that because he's also the Producer, Tony Shalhoub probably makes 2x as much as the other actors, and maybe 5x as much as the writers, techincians and procducers. And so much more than the average person in the US. Just sad. And deeply unfair.

#16 extex

extex

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:35 AM

The really really sad thing is that because he's also the Producer, Tony Shalhoub probably makes 2x as much as the other actors, and maybe 5x as much as the writers, techincians and procducers. And so much more than the average person in the US. Just sad. And deeply unfair.

Tony is an executive producer.
If the average person in the US wants to be an actor ,have at it.
Be prepared to live on top ramen for years,live with constant rejection and make an average of 22,000 dollars a year.
The salary of the average member of SAG.
There is nothing sad or unfair about it.
Same goes for writers ,technicians and producers.
Tony has busted his butt for 30 + years to get where he is,he deserves whatever salary he can get.
He's one of the good guys that made it.
e

#17 SteveMC

SteveMC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:51 PM

Not to make light of this, but find it rather ironic that on the show he and Natalie could never live like they do in San Francisco on what they charge for their consulting work. Rent Control? I stopped trying to figure it out. I noticed that other other shows too.

#18 DisherTheories

DisherTheories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:11 PM

Not to make light of this, but find it rather ironic that on the show he and Natalie could never live like they do in San Francisco on what they charge for their consulting work. Rent Control? I stopped trying to figure it out. I noticed that other other shows too.

I think that in the books it was stated that Natalie and Mitch bought a fixer-upper, so according to the books, she owns the house, plus she has rich parents who supplement her income. I have a hard time with Monk living in his place. Same reason, and he doesn't have the back up support.

#19 Teresa1643

Teresa1643

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

I think that in the books it was stated that Natalie and Mitch bought a fixer-upper, so according to the books, she owns the house, plus she has rich parents who supplement her income. I have a hard time with Monk living in his place. Same reason, and he doesn't have the back up support.

In MonkLand it only cost $600.00 (if I remember correctly) for Trudy's downtown San Francisco office. You can expect to pay at least 4 times that amount. It was ridiculous for Monk to give up the space when he could have sublet it and doubled Natalie's salary if he so desired.

Edited by Teresa1643, 24 September 2009 - 10:15 PM.

<i> I can't debate you if you talk gibberish that sounds kind of like something a chimney sweep from Mary Poppins would say.</i>

#20 LovAdrian

LovAdrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:20 PM

Monk said once he is not an ambitious man so we can understand why his apartment has is simple, besides he's lost almost everything when Trudy was sued by Dale Biederbeck. But I think his OCD contributes a lot to make him choose to have few things, like few clothes, or a so small closet, antique furniture. He needs the basic things to live. However, about his earnings, it's strange the show never mentioned if he receives any money from the Police, because he was not fired, or am I wrong? If he was discharged by health causes, wasn' it expected that he had some help for living and treatment? And if so, with the money he makes as a consultant he should have no financial problems, since he's so basic.

Edited by LovAdrian, 24 September 2009 - 07:22 PM.

LovAdrian.

Now that Monk is about to leave...

...Am I crying? 'Cause it feels like I'm crying all the time...
... I'm gonna be all alone. What a time to be me...

Monk: Tell me what to do.
Randy: I can't do that.
Monk: Well, can you find somebody who will tell me what to do?

Natalie:
So, Mr. Monk, what do you want for Christmas?
Monk: A miracle.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved