• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 MarBear28

MarBear28

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:12 PM

I was looking at the photos from "Devil" and it looks like James Roday has a big old scar on his chest. Thoughts.

Posted Image

"If he's on a lamb he won't get far, now alpacas, those things really fly"
"Running, the international sign of guilt"
"And your best man was a goat? I was supposed to be that goat!"
"How about the sheriff wears the spurs"

#2 gooie_choclatechip_cookie5

gooie_choclatechip_cookie5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

I was looking at the photos from "Devil" and it looks like James Roday has a big old scar on his chest. Thoughts.

Posted Image

Oh, wow!!! yeah it does look like it is a scar!!! i wonder what happened

official smoothie runner of the
CMP^2
I am smart, and I am fun, and I am almost always in a good mood, damn it!!!

#3 tvspaz626

tvspaz626

Super Psych-O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:22 PM

it is a scar.

a girl from make-a-wish got a set visit when they were filming high noon-ish and in her blog she said that james roday has a pacemaker. so that scar is from the surgery to put it in.

we don't know more about it and james hasn't addressed it so we just kind of let it go and wonder about it secretly. lol

so yeah, there is a scar, james has a pacemaker, we don't know anything else so we pretend it doesnt exist! :P

Posted Image

Head Pineapple-Sitter for the CMP2

Posted Image

My YouTube page. Mostly Psych related
My Twitter: jvento

#4 sarcasmlove

sarcasmlove

Super Psych-O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:27 PM

Yes, he has a pacemaker but those scars tend to be on the left side directly above the heart. I know someone who has one. It appears that James has had surgery, though.

He's never addressed it, but obviously he is comfortable enough to wear things like that where he knows it's visible. Honestly, it's really not any of our business, but we're all just glad that he's okay :)

Edited by sarcasmlove, 29 August 2009 - 11:28 PM.

"I've been having this
reoccurring dream where I'm flying over
Auckland on the back of a swan made primarily of
cocoa, his name is Clem."

"If you can laugh at yourself loud
and hard every time you fall,
people will think you're drunk." -Conan O'Brien

#5 AkiraGP

AkiraGP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:52 PM

it is a scar.

a girl from make-a-wish got a set visit when they were filming high noon-ish and in her blog she said that james roday has a pacemaker. so that scar is from the surgery to put it in.

we don't know more about it and james hasn't addressed it so we just kind of let it go and wonder about it secretly. lol

so yeah, there is a scar, james has a pacemaker, we don't know anything else so we pretend it doesnt exist! :P

Scars for pacemakers look different (and you can typically see the hockey puck-sized (or smaller) battery clearly in outline under the skin). Maybe he had his pacemaker installed in a less obvious spot, who knows. Still, pacemakers need to be replaced after a certain amount of time (~10 years, although newer ones can be "recharged" through the skin), & that scar looks like it's been around for more than 10 yrs. There are several "fixable" congenital heart/ aorta problems, so maybe James had one of those when he was a kid. In interviews, he's talked about playing sports when younger, so he probably had relatively "normal" health as a kid. I would love to hear if he's ever discussed the origin of his chest scar, but glad to see that he's lived a pretty healthy life after that (supposed) surgery.

Edited by AkiraGP, 30 August 2009 - 12:48 AM.

Cuter than a Kinkajou! ;-)

Gus "Did you hear about Pluto? That's messed up"
Shawn "A little girl outside started crying when she saw this shirt."
Lassiter: Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.
Vick: I guess I could find some solace in that.
Lassiter: Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture.

Chief Medical Pillow-Hugging Piggy of the CMP2!
Prescribing Pineapples and Psych-Ations for Every One of Your Multiple Pineapple Personalities :)

#6 SparkleCat

SparkleCat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:38 AM

I have a scar just like that only it's a little longer and a bit thinner. It's from the open heart surgery I had when I was 5. Whatever he had done he had it a long time ago. The incisions they make now are much smaller and look much better after.

#7 MarBear28

MarBear28

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:35 PM

it is a scar.

Wow, I totally didn't know that. I don't mean to pry, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy and that actually is a scar. Thanks for all the info.

"If he's on a lamb he won't get far, now alpacas, those things really fly"
"Running, the international sign of guilt"
"And your best man was a goat? I was supposed to be that goat!"
"How about the sheriff wears the spurs"

#8 bethgreen

bethgreen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:04 PM

James is entitled to his privacy and I respect that he went through something very traumatic, because he has a large scar on his chest from open heart surgery. That being said, as some folks on this board are aware, I have a Bachelor's Degree in nursing.

IMO, the surgery took place relatively recently, probably before he first auditioned for Psych. When I rewatch early Season One episodes, James looks positively unhealthy, especially compared to now. He's obviously working out now, keeping fit, whereas pre-Psych, not so much. He was too thin in Season One.

The size of the scar tells me that James had the surgery as an adult, and not as a child. Furthermore, there are shirtless pics of James from both 2002 & 2003 and he is definitely scarless. Therefore, the surgery occurred somewhere between 2003 and 2006.

As far as the scar not being that obvious, I'm sure that Psych's makeup people do their magic with James' scar when he wears an open-necked shirt.

Now comes the technical part. Pacemakers are commonly placed in a small pocket of skin on the chest, and the pacemaker is then visible afterward as a raised lump under the skin. However, there is an alternative placement that can be done for cosmetic reasons (If, for example, the person having the pacemaker placed is an actor :-). If you want further information, Google 'Retropectoral Transaxillary Placement of a Permanent Pacemaker.'

I thought y'all might appreciate some visual evidence.

Repli*Kate, 2002
Posted Image

Rolling Kansas, 2003
Posted Image

Miss Match, 2003 - Not a full-on chest view, but I included this one just because :)
Posted Image

#9 weekling1627

weekling1627

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:25 PM

was wondering about this for a lil while, but with in the last season and the one before it i started noticeing that james started looking different then he used to. but i couldnt place it, then i realized that it was b/c before he'd always had a t shirt on under his button downs, one of the crew neck kind. could this possibly have been to cover the scar? like maybe before he was insecure about it or somethin, but now hes chill? just a thought

#10 deliciousflava

deliciousflava

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:00 AM

was wondering about this for a lil while, but with in the last season and the one before it i started noticeing that james started looking different then he used to. but i couldnt place it, then i realized that it was b/c before he'd always had a t shirt on under his button downs, one of the crew neck kind. could this possibly have been to cover the scar? like maybe before he was insecure about it or somethin, but now hes chill? just a thought

As A nurse and a member of the scars are sexy group, I'd like to say who cares as to why he has the scar and just pretend i was able to trace it... LOL:)

So yea... i'm gonna go find a cold shower now... darn scars...
Posted Image

#11 Iamthedrummer24

Iamthedrummer24

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:44 AM

The whole time I was reading this I was thinking about the scene in Earth Wind and Wait for it when Shawn has that thing in the evidence bag and he's like "Eww! They make those for men?"
Posted Image
"I think you're swell."

Posted Image

^Thanks snarkcookie!

"But ever since I met you, I've been thinking about getting a car."

Maggie- "Shawn Spencer is a boy...James Roday is a man." ;)

http://www.squirrelassassins.com

http://www.tigerwalt....com/index.html

#12 Riktal

Riktal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:14 PM

James is entitled to his privacy and I respect that he went through something very traumatic, because he has a large scar on his chest from open heart surgery. That being said, as some folks on this board are aware, I have a Bachelor's Degree in nursing.

IMO, the surgery took place relatively recently, probably before he first auditioned for Psych. When I rewatch early Season One episodes, James looks positively unhealthy, especially compared to now. He's obviously working out now, keeping fit, whereas pre-Psych, not so much. He was too thin in Season One.

The size of the scar tells me that James had the surgery as an adult, and not as a child. Furthermore, there are shirtless pics of James from both 2002 & 2003 and he is definitely scarless. Therefore, the surgery occurred somewhere between 2003 and 2006.

As far as the scar not being that obvious, I'm sure that Psych's makeup people do their magic with James' scar when he wears an open-necked shirt.

Now comes the technical part. Pacemakers are commonly placed in a small pocket of skin on the chest, and the pacemaker is then visible afterward as a raised lump under the skin. However, there is an alternative placement that can be done for cosmetic reasons (If, for example, the person having the pacemaker placed is an actor :-). If you want further information, Google 'Retropectoral Transaxillary Placement of a Permanent Pacemaker.'

Repli*Kate, 2002
Posted Image

Rolling Kansas, 2003
Posted Image

Miss Match, 2003 - Not a full-on chest view, but I included this one just because :)
Posted Image

Thanks for the information. It's good to have a nurs on the board :) .
I never notice the scar until now (it's probably because I always look on his amazing eyes :rolleyes: and usually on the show he's wearing a shirt under the shirt, so you can't see it).

You'r right - in the pilot and in the first episode (Spellingg Bee) James looking really good, but then he started to look bad and along the length most of season he seem very thin (and don't kill me, but I didn't like his look at all in this season) ,but when the second season start something about him changed and he started to look like the James that we all love so much, so maybe the surgery take plas doing the break between the two seasons. All so, I think that he started to exercise about this time.
He talks about it in here (it's the interview from the beginning of season 4 that you can find on this site as well) :

When a fan ask him about his "downtime" he talk about his workout and that it's bring him peace.

Edited by Riktal, 29 October 2009 - 12:16 PM.

http://www.youtube.c...23?feature=mhum

On the eighth day God created James Roday. He then said: "Top That!"

Do not tell me that the sky is the limit when there are signs of footsteps on the moon!

Never think that somebody owes you anything. The only person that owes you, is you

I just hope I will be here long enough to do something awesome!

#13 AkiraGP

AkiraGP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:36 AM

When a fan ask him about his "downtime" he talk about his workout and that it's bring him peace.

I think he was talking about his "fantasy" workout (ie, fantasy football :) ). But he has definitely bulked up over the last year or 2. He looks maybe 30 or so pounds heavier now (& much better) than Season 1. Hope he doesn't get too much more defined - that will certainly take away from the boyishness. ;)

The thing about old images of him from movies/ shows: make-up &/ or editing can do some wild cover up magic. If he had the surgery "recently," then it was likely either due to an emergency (ie, not concerned with aesthetics), large scale, or he forms keloid (large) scars very easily. Otherwise, it's likely to be a younger age of surgery. Guess we'll never know until he talks.
Cuter than a Kinkajou! ;-)

Gus "Did you hear about Pluto? That's messed up"
Shawn "A little girl outside started crying when she saw this shirt."
Lassiter: Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.
Vick: I guess I could find some solace in that.
Lassiter: Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture.

Chief Medical Pillow-Hugging Piggy of the CMP2!
Prescribing Pineapples and Psych-Ations for Every One of Your Multiple Pineapple Personalities :)

#14 CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:09 AM

Huh. I never noticed. o.o

Well, obviously I hate when someone's gone through something very traumatic to receive a scar, but... I do like them for some reason. I sort of find them... admirable? I'm not sure exactly how to describe it. I mean, sure, they can be embarrassing at times, but I think they stand as a sort of badge of honor saying, "I fought and I won." Most, anyway. In any case, just glad that James is healthy, happy and hilarious. That's all you can really ask for. :3

I used to be really self-conscious of my own surgery scar, but now that I've grown used to it as a part of my life I practically show it off. *chuckle* Maybe he feels somewhat similar? *shrug*

Also, thanks for the pics. Heh. ♥

Find me on Twitter @ItsJusticeTime

#15 Riktal

Riktal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:21 AM

Huh. I never noticed. o.o

Well, obviously I hate when someone's gone through something very traumatic to receive a scar, but... I do like them for some reason. I sort of find them... admirable? I'm not sure exactly how to describe it. I mean, sure, they can be embarrassing at times, but I think they stand as a sort of badge of honor saying, "I fought and I won." Most, anyway. In any case, just glad that James is healthy, happy and hilarious. That's all you can really ask for. :3

I used to be really self-conscious of my own surgery scar, but now that I've grown used to it as a part of my life I practically show it off. *chuckle* Maybe he feels somewhat similar? *shrug*

Also, thanks for the pics. Heh. ♥

I suppose that you'r right, there is a tendency to forget the scars that on your body.
I have a scar on the elbow from operation that I have 10 years ago, when I smash my elbow. Today I hardly remember it's there, but when I go with a shirt with short sleeves people can see her and ask me about it, and than I remember that it still there.
James's scar, because it's on his chest, we general do not see her (though recently, because I know now that it's there, I see her sometimes).

Do not tell me that the sky is the limit when there are signs of footsteps on the moon!

Never think that somebody owes you anything. The only person that owes you, is you

#16 deliciousflava

deliciousflava

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:39 AM

I suppose that you'r right, there is a tendency to forget the scars that on your body.
I have a scar on the elbow from operation that I have 10 years ago, when I smash my elbow. Today I hardly remember it's there, but when I go with a shirt with short sleeves people can see her and ask me about it, and than I remember that it still there.
James's scar, because it's on his chest, we general do not see her (though recently, because I know now that it's there, I see her sometimes).

people look at scars in different ways. I have one on my forehead along the hair line (near my temple) that came from a long drawn out fight between the bicycle, myself, and a rocky pavement road.... that one is not seen easily but when noticed i wear that cross with honor!

then i have my surgical scars, one is a hernia repair from when i was 14... I will always despise that scar though it is uber well hidden 99.9999999999% of the time, only showable IF i allow it. same as the other 4 scars i have that are surgical. (gallbladder surgery laparoscpic)

I have a few more rediculous ones, that don't bare mentioning but I do have, from stupid accidents to somewhat self inflicted. All of which make up my past...HoweveR my point, which is somewhat elduing me is that if I wanted you to know I'd tell you. our dear James probably feels the same. a sternal scar generally points to something big (open heart surgery is the only thing i can come up with on the top of my head, or perhaps some lung surgery?) The fact that it is a white scar, and not purplish in hue, nor is it an angry red, means that it is many years old.

Lets just be happy that he's appears as healthy as a horse today, and more than willing to make us laugh on a weekly and sometimes bi-monthly showing during each 1/2 season we get :D

I hope I didn't bore you, nor step on any toes :D
Posted Image

#17 bethgreen

bethgreen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:46 PM

I see there are some new posters here since I last visited. I appreciate every single inch of James Roday from head to toe, scars and all. This pic was posted a while back on another thread:
Posted Image
This is a cropped bit from a much larger publicity still for 'Shawn Takes a Shot in the Dark.'
IMO, the scar is a badge of honor. James has fought whatever war took place within his body and come out victorious.
The man looks good, scar or no scar.

EDIT: Wow, that came out much larger than I thought. I was going to shrink it, but I reconsidered, because there is nothing offensive or embarrassing about this picture!

Edited by bethgreen, 31 October 2009 - 03:54 PM.

#18 Riktal

Riktal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:54 PM

people look at scars in different ways. I have one on my forehead along the hair line (near my temple) that came from a long drawn out fight between the bicycle, myself, and a rocky pavement road.... that one is not seen easily but when noticed i wear that cross with honor!

then i have my surgical scars, one is a hernia repair from when i was 14... I will always despise that scar though it is uber well hidden 99.9999999999% of the time, only showable IF i allow it. same as the other 4 scars i have that are surgical. (gallbladder surgery laparoscpic)

I have a few more rediculous ones, that don't bare mentioning but I do have, from stupid accidents to somewhat self inflicted. All of which make up my past...HoweveR my point, which is somewhat elduing me is that if I wanted you to know I'd tell you. our dear James probably feels the same. a sternal scar generally points to something big (open heart surgery is the only thing i can come up with on the top of my head, or perhaps some lung surgery?) The fact that it is a white scar, and not purplish in hue, nor is it an angry red, means that it is many years old.

Lets just be happy that he's appears as healthy as a horse today, and more than willing to make us laugh on a weekly and sometimes bi-monthly showing during each 1/2 season we get :D

I hope I didn't bore you, nor step on any toes :D

Don't worry - you didn't bore me, and I agree with most of what you said, so we cool :)

#19 Kireijo

Kireijo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:29 PM

Here's a cap I found from Rolling Kansas that shows the scar.
I noticed it a long time ago and wondered. But yeah, I'm just
glad that at this stage in life, James is happy and healthy and also hot.

Posted Image

Edited by Kireijo, 01 November 2009 - 02:29 PM.

Eat. Sleep. Psych.

Official PineappleCarver of the CMP2

#20 psychgirl007

psychgirl007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

Repli*Kate, 2002
Posted Image

Rolling Kansas, 2003
Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for the information. And I have to agree with everyone here. James did look sickly during the first season. But he looks so much better now. He was put on some weight (which is an excellent thing) and his complexion is extremely better. I just hope everything stays well for him. And I just love this show.
Are you a fan of delicious flavor?

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved