858 replies to this topic

#561 philliesfan

philliesfan

The love between Michael & Fiona is the heart of the show

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

Those are really lovely screencaps, bcmom. Thank you!

505 "Square One" - Michael as mentor

1) Michael receives wisdom

Courtesy of Maddie, we learn something about Michael's past - specifically, about how Michael dealt with anger when he was a young man. Maddie reminds Michael that he is a mentor to Ethan. Maddie first helps Michael relate to Ethan. And to see that he bears responsibility to help the young man understand how to manage the anger that he himself has learned to control.

Maddie: "How many years of training did it take before you learned to curb your anger, Michael? The man you are today is not the boy who left home. You were a scared kid when you left. You were angry at the world, you were angry at everything!"

She then tells Michael to go pay it forward: "Someone has to teach him, Michael."

So Michael does.

2) Michael dispenses wisdom:

Michael: "You want Ramsey dead, and you don't think I have anything to say worth listening to. Oh, I understand that feeling. So, uh, you wanna compare body counts?"
Ethan is a little challenging: "All right, if it's gonna be that kind of talk."
Michael tries to put him in his place - not to belittle him, just to again remind him that he has more experience than Ethan: "Actually, it's not. I'm telling you, I know more about this than you do. You're not in a war zone anymore, Ethan."
Ethan still challenges Michael's assumptions about him : "So you're saying you think I'll regret killing the guy 'cause this isn't a battlefield? Listen to me: I won't. I want to finish this my way."
Michael tells Ethan bluntly: "You don't get to do what you want to do. You lost that right the moment your sister got beaten."
Ethan: "
What's that supposed to mean?"
Michael reminds Ethan that his sister needs him: "Your life doesn't belong to you. Your decisions affect other people.
You need to start thinking about Heather."
Ethan: "That is what I'm doing."
Michael has to point out the obvious before Ethan gets it: "You can't help her from jail."
He continues: "You know who acts out of selfish anger? The Ramseys of this world. And that's their weakness. And that's what you use to destroy them."
Ethan asks for advice: "What do I do?
Michael, intense: "You look Ramsey in the eye one last time. You go to bat for him. You convince him you are his best friend. And when he's ready to burn his whole life to cinders…you hand him the match."

Michael first relates to Ethan, to assure him he does understand Ethan's anger. While pointing out that he's been there, he also makes it clear that he can speak to the situation better than Ethan himself. Michael tells Ethan that justice is not about gratifying his own feelings. He emphasizes that Ethan bears responsibilities because of his relationships, so he can't be short-sighted. Ethan has to put Heather's needs above his own desires. And once Michael has Ethan's full attention with this reminder, he explains to his protege that the difference between good guys and bad guys is the priority one gives to one's own self-centered desires. He helps Ethan understand that the way he was behaving before with the sniper rifle was not noble, but base - and more like his enemy than he realized or wanted. Finally, Michael gives Ethan strategy for how to use this knowledge - and more importantly, he gives Ethan the assurance that while he can't satisfy his bloodlust, he can still find satisfaction in helping Ramsey (borrowing Fi's words) "tighten the noose on his own neck".

3)
Michael assesses his career:

Mission accomplished, Ethan comes to Michael seeking one final piece of advice. He tells Michael that he's now considering the CIA as a career option. He wants to know, first, what to expect.

Ethan: "Does it ever get easier?"
Michael: "No, it never does."
Ethan: "If you had it to do over again,would you?"
Michael: "It's who I am. I don't know how to be anyone else."

He didn't exactly say "Heck, yes, being a spy is awesome!", did he? But he reaffirms that it's his calling.

4)

The last challenge and responsibility that Michael faces in this episode is that of justice for his murdered friend Max.

Agent Pearce reminds him that, like Ethan, Michael is not acting only for his own needs: "Michael, I'm counting on you here. And so is Max's family."

While Michael doesn't need the reminder - He has a heightened sense of responsibility for seeking justice for others, already - Pearce's remark just sets that weight even more firmly upon his shoulders.

Happy Westen Wednesday.

Edited by philliesfan, 08 February 2012 - 11:06 PM.

MFParis1person.jpg

#562 bcmom

bcmom

Crazy Gringo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,582 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Thank you philliesfan. Wonderful job as well. :)
Posted Image

#563 bcmom

bcmom

Crazy Gringo

• Members
  • 11,582 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Hi all :) Welcome to Westen Wednesday :)

Enemy Of My Enemy

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#564 philliesfan

philliesfan

• Members
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

506 "Enemy Of My Enemy" - Michael, the friend who'll put you in harm's way, then take you out of it.

1) The favor:
Michael asks Sam to do what he can't do since Carmelo knows him.

"We rip off Carmelo and leave Sam behind as a witness to the heist. He questions him. You steer him towards the Serbs. If we play it right, he hunts for his heroin and finds our drone instead (...) I know it's dangerous, but if we don't do something, the CIA's source is dead, and some very bad people end up with a really dangerous weapon."

Then Michael gives Sam the option to say no without guilt: "Sam, I'll understand if you - " He doesn't finish because Sam says yes.

2) Waiting and worrying
(I included pictures to illustrate the concern evident in Michael's countenance.)

Michael wishes Sam "Good luck" and then worries for him along the way as things go wrong. Sam's life is in real danger once Carmelo takes a Serbian hostage, since the Serbian can lay bare the lies that Sam has been spinning about the Serbians robbing him of his heroin.

Michael, with worry on his face, attempts confidence: "Sam'll make it work."
Fi: "You don't know that."
Michael admits: "No, I don't."

Posted Image

Michael goes to Agent Pearces for "agency support" for his friend.
Pearce: "So you want us to pull him out?"
Michael: "No I just want you to be ready to pull him out, maybe put a chopper and a couple of teams on ready alert (...) I'm just asking - in case things go sideways with Sam."

Manaro & Bailey frustrate Michael with their unwillingness to lend support.
Michael: "I put my friend in the field, and I haven't asked for anything yet, but if I do, you'd better be ready."

When the reply is "I wouldn't hold my breath," Michael walks away seeming tired, saying: "It's gonna be a long night." Sam's predicament and the CIA's uncooperativeness are apparently wearing on him in that moment.

Michael, Fi, and Jesse monitor Sam's situation, and hear Carmelo's anger, impatience, and frustration escalate. They hear that Carmelo has a gun to Sam, and that Sam barely staves him off. Michael's face is again a picture of worry.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Michael later goes back to Manaro and Bailey, after Carmelo shoots the Serbian and insists Sam stay with him until his drugs are recovered. With arms crossed, Michael demands: "Make the call. We need op support right now." They refuse to take a chance on compromising the mission and are quite inflexible even though Michael and Pearce are sure the mission will succeed even while they swoop in a few minutes early to save Sam.

Michael: "Sam bet his life that the Serbs have Carmelo's drugs. When they find a predator drone instead, how long you think before THEY SHOOT SAM!"
Manaro, unphased: "Well, we'll just have to hope they wait until the cops arrive."
Michael can't believe what he's hearing. Controlling his anger, he leans forward on the desk and speaks quietly but emphatically: "You do not leave your people swinging in the wind like this."
Posted Image

Manaro: "Sam's not our people. He's not mission-critical."
!!!
Slamming his hands on the desk, Michael walks out of the office, his brow creased, seething with anger, I'm sure. His mind must be churning, scheming for a way to help Sam himself. He tells Pearce; "Just keep these bastards off my back. I'll take care of it myself."
Posted Image

3) The rescue - Michael puts his life at risk to save Sam's.

VO: "For a spy, sneaking in to the middle of a gun battle to pull someone out is one of the less popular assignments. It's mostly about timing. Go in too early and you have both sides shooting at you. Go in too late, and, well, you're too late."

As Carmelo gets ready to kill Sam, Michael turns up to face the man who said he'd kill him if they ever met again. "That's my friend Sam, and I'd really like it if you'd stop pointing that gun at him." Awwww!

Michael was prepared to risk possibly dying with Sam (for Carmelo would like to shoot them both) rather than leave Sam to die alone, feeling abandoned by his friend and the CIA.

Michael certainly wouldn't let that happen.

"Sam, I just want to say - "
"You don't have to, Mike."
"I was gonna say you owe me one...and I owe you fifty."

Gotta love the friendship between Michael and Sam.

Happy Westen Wednesday!

P.S. Thanks for your screencaps, bcmom!

MFParis1person.jpg

#565 bcmom

bcmom

Crazy Gringo

• Members
  • 11,582 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:51 AM

Thanks. Back at ya B)
Posted Image

#566 philliesfan

philliesfan

• Members
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

507 "Besieged"

VO: Spies deal with foreign agencies, dirty corporations,and criminal syndicates all the time. But none of that compares to dealing with families. Asking a man to take apart his business or turn on his country is easy compared to going into a man's home and telling him how to deal with the people he loves. That's why, when confronted with a family situation, it's usually a good idea to tell the truth.

Michael approaches John as himself- Michael Westen, a veteran who understands honor and duty. He is not trying to trick John. John is not a criminal to be duped by his own greed and self-interest. Knowing this, Michael is honest and sincere with John. He taps into John's love for Tommy, as well as John's desire to honor his brother. He sees these good qualities in John's heart and reinforces them, giving John his respect - which helps John to view himself as an honorable man and a to be a responsible father.

As part of his effort to keep Tommy safe, Michael challenges Zechariah, the leader of the fringe militia group whose compound John has taken Tommy to. I wanted to include these few lines because Michael looks so proud when speaking of his military service.

Michael: "This isn't even a real army. You're not even a real commander. Correct me if I'm wrong, you never served in the U.S. military."
Zechariah: "No, I never did."
Michael, standing ramrod-straight and proud: "I didn't think so. A real veteran always spots a fake. I served my country and I fought in wars. I didn't run around in the woods acting like a soldier with my beer buddies."

In the climactic scene between John and Michael, when Michael has a last chance to persuade John to leave the compound, John remains suspicious - and now, he's injured and becoming desperate. While immobilized by a broken leg and the fact that he's been handcuffed to his son's bed, he is a threat because of his mounting stress and the gun he holds pointed at Michael.

In contrast to John's emotional state of mind, Michael speaks calmly and with reason.

Michael reassures John: "I'm not here to hurt you, John. I just want to talk."
And again: "I am on your side." He puts his own gun down to prove it.

As John opens up about his falling-out with Zechariah, Michael begins to approach, slowly. "He ordered everybody out into thefield, and Tommy couldn't breathe, so I wouldn't go. Yeah, he beat me, he broke my leg. Then Tommy got so scared he passed out. HEY! Stop! I said just stay back!" At this, Michael stops and puts his hands up non-threateningly.

Michael takes hold of this sign of independent thinking John has demonstrated on his son's behalf, tries to help him see that he was right to stand up to Zechariah. Tries to widen the crack in the faith John put in the ENIC. "Look around you, John. This isn't what you signed up for. This isn't right."

John still isn't sure he can trust Michael, who assures him that his goal is "The same thing I wanted when we first met. To keep your son safe. And he's not safe here,John. He's not safe with Zechariah." He has started to approach John again.

John, while confused, clings to the trust he had put in ENIC: "Zechariah promised he'd protect us."
Michael challenges John now: "Well, he lied to you about that. He's not you, John, he's not your brother. I mean, think about your son."

These are the charged words to John - he's sensitive to any possible insinuation that he is not being a good father. So while speaking reasonably, Michael is taking a risk to challenge John. This emotional man could fire his gun at any moment.

John, whose hand on the weapon is shaking by now, yells: "I am thinking about him!" His voice and his face are desperate and pained. "I'm his father!"

Michael respects John by believing that John does want what's best for his son.: "And as his father, you have to make a choice. If you think it's better for Tommy to shoot me, then you need to shoot me. " Stepping closer. "But if you think Tommy is better off leaving this place, then we need to get him out of here right now."

John finally surrenders to this argument. He has hit his rock-bottom. He shakes his head at himself: "So I'm stupid!" He speaks with tears in his voice. "I believed in that man."

Michael bends down to John's level as John lowers the gun at last, and his head. "There are many things in this world to believe in, John. Zechariah's not one of them. " Michael uncuffs John from Tommy's bedside. "You need to grab your son, and we need to go now."

John insists on staying behind to cover Michael's escape with Tommy, risking death to ensure his son's safety. So Michael hands John his gun (bigger than the handgun John has) and the two men nod at each other in mutual respect.

Because Michael treats John with respect,because he persistently shows belief in John's love for his son and John's sense of honor, he is ultimately able to help John determine the right path for his son - and for himself, too.

Good work, Michael Westen!

Edited by philliesfan, 22 February 2012 - 09:04 PM.

MFParis1person.jpg

#567 bcmom

bcmom

Crazy Gringo

• Members
  • 11,582 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

Hi all. Welcome to Westen Wednesday :)

Great read philliesfan :) thanks.

Besieged

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#568 bcmom

bcmom

Crazy Gringo

• Members
  • 11,582 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hi all :) Welcome to Westen Wednesday :D

Hard Out

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#569 philliesfan

philliesfan

• Members
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Great pics, bcmom!

Poor Michael, when he got smacked with the gun! "Sadistic Mercenary" Vanderwaal tells him, "Get used to the pain, mate. There's plenty more where that came from."
// Barrett telling him in 412, "Oh, it hurts? Get used to it!" (Although Barrett didn't inflict that wound, whereas Vanderwaal did.)

508 "Hard Out" - Michael links Vanderwaal's fate to his and sells like crazy

First, Michael has got Vanderwaal to believe the lie that he, Jesse, & Pearce were hired to do a check on Vanderwaal's security. Then, he's sold the lie that the boss, Jackson, has stolen the files. Now, as Vanderwaal takes Michael to meet Jackson and sort out the truth for himself, Michael tells Miles that he should identify him as a tech guy rather than head of security so as not to arouse Jackson's suspicions.

VO: "For a spy, getting someone to lie for you serves a number of purposes. It's less about the lie itself, no matter how useful it is. It's about how it changes your relationship with your target. Once a guy lies for you, for better or for worse, your fates are tied together."

But Jackson accuses Michael of lying and says Cahill's in his pocket. All true, but Michael has led Vanderwaal too far down the road now for him to turn back – a fact he emphasizes for Vanderwaal now.

VO: "Like good defense attorneys, spies know the facts don't always matter as much as how you sell them. Only when lawyers lose a case, they get an appeal. When spies lose a case, they get a shallow grave."

Michael claps for Jackson. "Bravo. That was compelling and rich." Turning to Miles, he explains: "One of two things is possible. EitherJackson ripped you off and we caught him red-handed…"
Miles prompts: "Or?"
Michael: "You let a mysterious super genius take over your island, turn your opinside-out, and detain your commander's men."

Making it easy for Miles to choose which is the more palatable belief/side to take. Since he would obviously look incompetent if he had allowed Michael to turn his op inside-out...which he did! Although to his credit, he didn't make it easy for Michael. Michael has been working like crazy to sell this cover.

Michael continues selling to Vanderwaal: "Which is more likely? One of two things will happen now. Version 1: You will take over for Commander Sticky Fingers here, and my boss will shower you with cash." (Sweetening the deal for Miles.) "Version 2: You will eat a bullet right after I do!" (The stick.)

Our "super genius" is successful. Vanderwaal's pride and his fate are both tied up in believing Michael's version that Jackson is the thief.

It wasn't easy, as another VO from the ep says: "But like any job, some days are just harder than others." And as Michael tells Fiona, it was "rough."

Or, as Pearce put it: "Anyone ever tell you your brand of espionage is hell on the nerves, Westen?"
To which, Michael can only reply: "All the time."

Happy Westen Wednesday!

Edited by philliesfan, 29 February 2012 - 10:15 PM.

MFParis1person.jpg

#570 bcmom

bcmom

Crazy Gringo

• Members
  • 11,582 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hi all :) a belated Westen Wednesday. This video might already be on here but it is a great video. Enjoy :) I do every morning B)

I DID NOT MAKE THIS VIDEO!!

youtube
Posted Image

#571 cargram

cargram

Fiona, feisty and fabulous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

Hi all :) a belated Westen Wednesday. This video might already be on here but it is a great video. Enjoy :) I do every morning B)

I DID NOT MAKE THIS VIDEO!!

youtube

Hah! That was great!! Thanks :)
Posted Image

sig courtesy of AggieThrower30

#572 bcmom

bcmom

Crazy Gringo

• Members
  • 11,582 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

Hi all :) Welcome to Westen Wednesday :D

Eye For An Eye

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#573 philliesfan

philliesfan

• Members
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

Nice pics, as usual, bcmom!

509 "Eye For An Eye" - Michael's persistence

I liked this VO:
"When a plan goes wrong, it's crucial to stay calm. You may have to bail out, but how you bail out is everything. Do you run, and leave behind evidence that gives away your plan to your enemies? Or do you keep the mission alive by covering your tracks?"

Michael Westen, of course, chooses the latter. How many times have we seen snatch victory from the jaws of defeat - save a mission or a job that looked like it was failing? He refuses to give up without doing everything possible to achieve his objective.

In this instance, he resumes the cover of the stalker which he'd portrayed earlier - the man who's crazed with grief and a grudge. It's a ready-made solution, really. He smashes the lab up. Then, he just has to take a hostage and hope he can get out of there alive. Being the smart, think-on-your-feet guy that he is, he does just that. The added benefit is that he scares James Forte even more.

Similarly, he won't give up on getting the info he needs from Lucien - even after it seems Lucien has outsmarted him - even when Lucien's former friend is riddling their shack with bullet holes and Lucien lies dying.

Michael calls out, after Lucien's been shot & while gunfirestill hails: "Lucien, he betrayed you. You still want to protect him?"

Sam says they have to leave, Michael just yells at Sam to "Get us some cover!", while he approaches Lucien, determined to extract the info he needs from the bombmaker with the man's last breaths.

Lucien: "Listen to me. About my daughter…Give me your word!"
Michael: "I give you my word. You give us the information, and your daughter will be leftalone."
Lucien: "The man outside, he (? - something that means 'asked for')- - abomb. He was my friend, so I saidyes."
Michael: "Where is his place?"
Lucen: "Warehouse. In Windmar. End of burnerroute. And when you find him,put a bullet in him." (I had a hard time understanding the dying Lucien, but the important thing is he gave up the info at last.)

Sam & Michael make a run for it, an explosion Sam triggered covers their tracks - and Michael has succeeded. Now he has info on the man who's framing him, while that very man thinks he's died with Lucien.

Happy Westen Wednesday!

Edited by philliesfan, 08 March 2012 - 12:00 AM.

MFParis1person.jpg

#574 bcmom

bcmom

Crazy Gringo

• Members
  • 11,582 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Army Of One :D

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#575 philliesfan

philliesfan

• Members
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

Nice pics, bcmom!

510 "Army Of One" - the cakewalk that wasn't (never is!)

Michael is the last hire in a criminal job and tries to learn the details from the boss, Holcomb, he just met.

Michael: "Slow down, you wanna fill me in on what we're doing?"
Without breaking stride, Holcomb replies, " I can tell you what we're not doing. We're not asking questions."
Michael tries again. "I gotta know what the job is. I gotta know – "
But Holcomb cuts him off: "You're gonna press some buttons on the computer when I tell you to."

Michael begins to suspect there's more to Holcomb's plan than Jesse knew about.
VO: There's nothing quite like the feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you begin to suspect your intelligence on an operation may have been wrong. Once you're in, though, there's not much you can do other than keep your eyes open and figure out just how bad the situation is.

Michael is finally apprised of the plan and so tries to get himself a gun: "Why don't you give me one of those bad boys, I'll make myself useful."
Holcomb declines the request: "Thanks. But we got this."

VO: There's a cold math to hostage-taking. Once someone dies,things go downhill fast. Because the penalty for killing one hostage is the same as the penalty for killing all of them, the key is keeping that first person alive. Even if you have to bruise a few ribs to do it.

Michael saves the old security guard – and indeed, all the hostages, as the VO makes clear – by knocking the gun from his hand and grabbing him: "Hey, old man. I know you think you're supposed to be a hero, here, but you're not ready for this action, you understand?"

When Holcomb butts the security guard hard in thehead with his gun, Michael's reacts briefly, licking his lips and holding ontothe man, who he guides to a chair, not missing the opportunity to grab a clip of bullets from its holster

Michael begins looking for a way to thwart Holcomb and gang. He doesn't keep quiet as the low man on the totem pole, but assertively argues with Holcomb This wins him no points with second-in-command Ward.

Michael: "Hey, at the risk of asking a question, who you got taking roll call on the hostages? (...) You know how I ended up in the joint? 1997 my crew was doing a bank job up in Boston. We didn't notice that there was an extra security guard on duty. He hid in the can, called the cops. (...) Consider it insurance."

He had to sell this idea, but he finally won and now sets about creating a fictitious employee. This missing man is artfully set up by Michael to be a thorn in Holcomb's side and a real threat to his goals. "Gentlemen, we've got a problem….My hostage count was off, and we're missing someone….Jack Marsden. Works in the maintenance hangar."

Ward: "No way. We cleared all the buildings."
Michael: "The computer doesn't lie. Somebody is missing!"
Ward laughs humorlessly: "I don't know who the hell you think you are, but I don't appreciate being yelled at."
Michael: "Well, I don't appreciate working on a job run by amateurs! Maybe you're not worried about jail, but I am certainly not going back! Now, the computer says that Marsden's office is over in the maintenance hangar. Why don't you let me handle this, I'll go over there, check it out."

Michael's offer to go gives him the opportunity to look for further ways to sabotage Holcomb's scheme. It's made harder by the fact that Holcomb sends Landiss with him.

Michael sees a coffee cup with a cigarette butt in the remaining bit ofold coffee. He uses that as proof of Marsden's existence. Just a little ol' coffee mug. "If I got my count wrong, why is this coffee still hot?" Before Landiss can double-check the coffee, Michael throws the cup against a wall. (Good move.) "Son of a bitch! He's around here somewhere! I – "
Landiss: "Calm down."
Michael: "No, I'm not going to calm down until I find this guy, and I know he's here! And I'm going to tear this place upside-down to find him! You should go check the perimeter."
Landiss resists: "Holcomb didn't say anything about splitting up."
Michael insists: "Yeah, Holcomb didn't say anything about screwing up, either. You want to be the guy that tells him we missed this guy again?
Go back to the SUV after you check the perimeter. I'll meet you there."

Landiss stays rooted.
Michael yells: "I'll meet you there! Let's go, let's find this guy! Come on!"
Landiss obeys - giving Michael time to call Jesse, improvise an explosive, and rig a gun.

Michael calls Jesse, asks him to make a hole in the fence where he plans to try to escape with the hostages.

Jesse: "Mike, I don't mean to second-guess you, but how are you going to distract four guys with Mac-10's?"
Michael: "I'm working on that. I'll call you later."

Back at the airport terminal, Michael says he found steaming coffee "which means we just missed him." He wants to organize a search and conveniently volunteers "I'll stay with the hostages. You guys - " He's about to direct their search for "Marsden". Problem is, Ward doesn't like the newbie taking any power.

Ward: "Who the hell do you think you are giving orders? You are just the keyboard monkey, remember?" To Holcomb: "And I'm not convinced of anything this guy says, all right? What does a cup of coffee prove? We don't even know that there's anybody out there."

At this point, the bomb Michael made & put in the SUV explodes spectacularly, contradicting Ward's skepticism and effectively erasing all doubt that Marsden is real and a threat – superbly ironic since he's purely Michael's invention.

To more firmly implant the team's fear of this man, Michael surreptitiously shoots his "gun" into one guy's arm, claiming the shot came from the roof. He once again asserts himself with Holcomb: "Hey, chief. You and me need to have a chat about your perfect little plan."

Michael investigates "Marsden" through his "employee file".

Michael: "Bad news, guys. Turns out Marsden's an explosives expert."
Ward: "Explosives expert? You said he worked in maintenance."

(...)

Michael: "I checked his employment records. You're dealing with a highly trained ex-Ranger. He probably overheard your warning about calling the cops and took matters into his own hands." He tellingly taps his own chest when he says that, but no one notices. Holcomb loosens his tie, a sign that he is becoming uncomfortable.

Ward's solution: "So he's trying to protect the hostages? How 'bout we threaten to kill the hostages unless he surrenders?"

Michael saves the hostages by reasoning: "How are you going to get that message to him, smart guy? Telepathy?"

Holcomb is now convinced they must find Marsden. Michael suggests the machine shop onthe NE corner – as far from the escape hole Jesse made in the SW fence as possible. He also lobbies again for a weapon and tries to be left alone with the hostages. "You leave a gun with me and I'll watch the hostages."

Holcomb: "Landiss, stay here with Graham." This would hinder Michael's escape plan, so he argues against the idea.
Michael: "Are you insane? You saw what this guy is capable of. You're gonna need every member of your team to handle him."

Holcomb has an answer: "As far as I know, he could be on his way back here. Besides, if the hostages become a liability, I need somebody here who likes to do dirty work."

Michael asks his mom to make a scene, then throws up his hands and looks to Landiss, who comes over to forcibly pull Maddie into a chair. With his back to Michael now, Michael surprises him from behind, holding Landiss in a choke hold until he passes out.

To the startled and horrified hostages, Michael speaks reassuringly: "It's all right. I'm here to help. I'm one of the good guys."

Michael has to sell that Marsden was there to knock out him and Landiss and take the hostages. Meanwhile, Ward learns that Grombach's plane has been diverted. Holcomb is frustrated enough to throw things.

Holcomb challenges Michael: "So Marsden manages to divert a plane mid-flight, he takes my hostages, he goes to all this trouble to stop us, but he leaves you alive." (Also Landiss - he's not dead.)

Michael challenges back: "Our pay day is flying away and you're concerned Marsden isn't killing us quick enough?"

Holcomb grabs Michael by the lapels, the gun in his hand now resting uncomfortably close to Michael's neck: "I am concerned that he seems to know all of our moves before we make them, but you know everything about him. In fact, you're the only one who's ever seen him. Why is that?" Like Vanderwaal in 508, Holcomb is correctly suspicious of Michael. Although he doesn't once doubt that Marsden exists. Michael sold that well.

Holcomb now points his gun at Michael's head. "I've got a theory. You and Marsden are working together." He escorts Michael outside, demands to know where the hostages are and for an admission that he's working with Marsden.

Michael protests: "I'm not – Think about it. I'm the one that told you about him. I told you his name, where he is, how to find him!"

Holcomb is not mollified: "And you sent us on a wild goose chase, you son of a bitch!" He punches Michael in the gut. "So you could lead Marsden to the hostages!"

Michael: "Why the hell would I do that? This was supposed to be my big score."

One of the men arrives to report voices from a warehouse –the hostages, no doubt.

Michael tries to protect the hostages: "Guys, you need to forget about the hostages, all right? Marsden has them, and he's probably called the cops. They're probably on their way here right now! We gotta go!"

But it doesn't work, since Holcomb worries about witnesses,now that he won't have a fortune to live off in a country that doesn't extradite to the U.S. "We're not leaving any witnesses alive. They all die. But first, you do."

As a last ditch effort, Michael offers: "I'll kill 'em….You want proof that I'm not with Marsden, I'll kill him and the hostages, I'll do it. But you gotta promise me you got someplace to go after, someplace the cops can't find us, 'cause I am not going back to the joint. Not on a murder rap."

His ploy to assume the risk of being charged with murder works. - And I'm sure that's exactly why he emphasized that he did not want to go to jail for it. He also learns where Holcomb's hideout is.

Holcomb agrees, to Ward's dismay. But Holcomb sends Ward with him as insurance - - as, indeed, he's been doing with Landiss (now-drugged) up 'til now. Holcomb: "If he kills everyone, we don't got a problem. If he doesn't, put two bullets in the back of his head." He's addressing Ward but looking steadily at Michael for emphasis.

* * * In the warehouse...
Michael tries to get Ward in front of him. "I'll cover you."
It doesn't work. Ward: "You first, killer."

Having no choice, Michael does go first. I wonder what he planned to do? We don't find out – although I suspect he planned to abruptly turn and fight Ward, hoping to catch him at least a little off-guard. But Judy panics when she espies Michael carrying a gun and becomes naturally confused about what side Michael's on.

Judy: "Why is your son here with a gun? He's supposed to be on our side!"

Michael's been made. Now he's lost any surprise he would have had, but he has to try to overpower Ward. Ward lands Michael a punch to the cheek that makes him fall to the ground.

Maddie saves him, taking out Ward, and Michael leaps back into action. He makes Holcomb think he's fatally wounded and willing to play the hero by unpinning a grenade to kill Marsden and the hostages as well as his own dying self, all in exchange for Holcomb sending his cut of the fortune to his mom. (Although I don't know how they're to get the money now that Grombach's plane has been diverted - I thought that was the reason for killing the hostages.) He wins Holcomb's respect by this act - - until Holcomb sees Michael at his arrest and realizes he's been played.

Michael gives Jesse a look for the "cakewalk" job.

Jesse: "I know, I know, I owe you and your mom more than a thank you for this one."

Michael – who already owes Jesse for the cell phone magic parade thing that was highly illegal, and then there was also the matter of the "thinking car" damage– replies with a small request while noting Jesse's tie and his own absent, sacrificed one: "A new tie would be nice," and breaks into a grin as he walks away.

Because the tie was, after all, only polyester, the tie trick was fun, and all's well that end's well - with the right people arrested and the team intact.

Happy Westen Wednesday! (sorry I'm so late!)

Edited by philliesfan, 16 March 2012 - 08:25 AM.

MFParis1person.jpg

#576 bcmom

bcmom

Crazy Gringo

• Members
  • 11,582 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

And what a Wednesday it is. :D

Better Halves

The sauna

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by bcmom, 23 March 2012 - 11:09 PM.

Posted Image

#577 bcmom

bcmom

Crazy Gringo

• Members
  • 11,582 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

Better Halves

The Sauna Fight

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by bcmom, 23 March 2012 - 11:10 PM.

Posted Image

#578 bcmom

bcmom

Crazy Gringo

• Members
  • 11,582 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Better Halves

The Sauna Fight

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by bcmom, 23 March 2012 - 11:12 PM.

Posted Image

#579 bcmom

bcmom

Crazy Gringo

• Members
  • 11,582 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

Better Halves

The Sauna Fight

Edited by bcmom, 23 March 2012 - 11:13 PM.

Posted Image

#580 bcmom

bcmom

Crazy Gringo

• Members
  • 11,582 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

Better Halves

The End of the Sauna Fight

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Edited by bcmom, 21 March 2012 - 11:57 AM.

Posted Image

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved