• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#21 nananay

nananay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

Help!! Can you tell me if an avatar and a sigature picture are the same thing? Anyway somehow I changed the format on the home page of the forum and now I do not have any signature pictures of anyone and I really miss them, so does anyone know how I can get the home page back to the way it was? I am such a confused computer dunce, I don't dare to try anything because I end up screwing up. Thanks for any info in advance!! :huh:

nananay

#22 filigree2

filigree2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

Help!! Can you tell me if an avatar and a sigature picture are the same thing? Anyway somehow I changed the format on the home page of the forum and now I do not have any signature pictures of anyone and I really miss them, so does anyone know how I can get the home page back to the way it was? I am such a confused computer dunce, I don't dare to try anything because I end up screwing up. Thanks for any info in advance!! :huh:

nananay

I'm challenged, as well, but I'll try to help you out. As near as I can figure, the signature is what appears underneath your actual typing of your posts (like someone will post something and they'll have quotes and pictures underneath). The avatar is the actual little picture you have on the left side of the screen by your screen name.

As for your not being able to view others' signatures, try going into My Controls, then click on the left side of the screen where it says board settings, then there will be choices as to whether or not you want to view others' signatures. Try it and let me know if it works!

#23 nananay

nananay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

I'm challenged, as well, but I'll try to help you out. As near as I can figure, the signature is what appears underneath your actual typing of your posts (like someone will post something and they'll have quotes and pictures underneath). The avatar is the actual little picture you have on the left side of the screen by your screen name.

As for your not being able to view others' signatures, try going into My Controls, then click on the left side of the screen where it says board settings, then there will be choices as to whether or not you want to view others' signatures. Try it and let me know if it works!

MY CONTROLS!! <_< Who would have thunk!! Your advice worked, :D I can now see Bobby in his BTSOH!! :P I don't know how I screwed it up, :blink: but I am now back to normal. Thank you!! Now I feel like a computer genius!

Back to Happy Bobby Gazing
nananay

#24 lady_mephisto86

lady_mephisto86

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

Actually, being a new member, when I signed up, they didn't ask for things like location, etc. But, if I go into the My Controls section, now, I think I can click on the "edit" section on the left-hand side of the screen and add in all that other stuff.

Scratch that. I tried what I just said and I have no idea what to do. Sorry! Maybe someone else knows?

Yeah, I checked it out too, doesn't seem like it has that option. I just assumed it was because of that last 'upgrade' everyone was talking about a while ago.
Posted Image

#25 LOCIFan2

LOCIFan2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

That's not a bad idea. Do you want to rename this one to make a general "technical questions" thread? Maybe I should pin it, too, so that it doesn't fall off the first page and get lost. I think I can pin threads. It's one of my "powers" I haven't tried yet.
:lol:

Hooray! I've wanted a "pinned" Technical Thread for as long as I've been posting (almost 3 years). You don't know how many times I've had a posting problem, knew I had seen a solution on some Thread, but couldn't find it. I didn't start a Technical Thread myself because if it weren't "pinned," I knew it would just get buried further and further in the pages, defeting its purpose as a "handy reference." I've been posting whatever "technical hints" I discover as well as "schedule information" on the Etiquette Thread, not because I think it's the right place for it, but because its a "pinned thread," making it a consistent place for a reference.

When I mentioned such a Thread within the first month I was here (August/September 2006), you would have thought I was an "invader taking over the board." Several members posted that I, and others like me, was a "troll" "computer illiterate" etc etc. (Interestingly, the post that talked about computer "illiteracy" and "lack of intelligence enough to post on the Board" was grammatically deficient with several mis-spelled words.)

Such a difference now! New Moderators with some sense of reason.

I think it would be a good idea when any of us discovers one of his/her previous posts regarding a technical "how to" or "how not to" use the boards software; he/she would copy and or move that post to the Technical Thread. That way we will build up a good reference that everyone can find easily when they have problems. (I know I've seen posts about Avatars, posting pictures, etc. and I've posted several times about "tricks" to using the word processing software.)

May I also suggest that we need a "pinned Thread" entitled "Schedules and Marathons" as a reference for constantly changing schedule information. Suggestion, the first post of such a Thread should "not" be a schedule or marathon; Bubba's Marathon Thread had such an arrangement and a year or two later people were thinking that marathon was new material. Also, the posts on a schedule Thread should be "deleted" a week or two after the listed episodes air. This will eliminate nearly useless information and keep the Thread short and easily referred to. (I'm not suggesting that you erase posts on any other Thread, just the Schedule Thread)

As the off-season is coming and we have New Moderators, maybe it's a good time to start "cleaning up" and "re-organizing/re-structuring" the LOCI Board. This doesn't mean that anything done in the past is bad or good; but, just that, like any home or office, in 5-8 years of use, a lot of outdated "stuff" has accumulated. It's time to clean-out the Board's Garage/Attic. The moderators, alone can't do this; we all must clean-out our own clutter.

Step 1: Discarding Outdated or Useless "Stuff":

a. Delete Posts that say nothing other than "Bump."
Once a someone has created a post after it on the same Thread, the "Bump" post has no function whatsoever.

b. Delete Schedule information on episodes that have Aired more than two or three weeks ago.
We can't turn-back the clock, so the information is useless.

By making only the alterations a. and b. above, we will "shorten" a large number of our Threads. If I understand correctly, we will also speed up navigation time.

Step 2: Logically be renaming, merging, and/or eliminating Threads (i.e. "compacting" and "sorting" it into groups)

Step 3: After all the outdated/useless "stuff" has been thrown out and the remainder "compacted" and "named properly"; we could re-structure/re-organize the whole Board (creating Sections and Sub-Sections (ie file cabinets) to make everything easy to find.

July 14, 2009

I have now posted the Season 8 Schedule on the Schedules and Marathons Thread and Deleted it from the Etiquette Thread.

LOCIFan2

Edited by LOCIFan2, 15 July 2009 - 03:39 AM.

#26 ciaddict

ciaddict

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,839 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

Hooray! I've wanted a "pinned" Technical Thread for as long as I've been posting (almost 3 years). You don't know how many times I've had a posting problem, knew I had seen a solution on some Thread, but couldn't find it. I didn't start a Technical Thread myself because if it weren't "pinned," I knew it would just get buried further and further in the pages, defeting its purpose as a "handy reference." I've been posting whatever "technical hints" I discover as well as "schedule information" on the Etiquette Thread, not because I think it's the right place for it, but because its a "pinned thread," making it a consistent place for a reference.

When I mentioned such a Thread within the first month I was here (August/September 2006), you would have thought I was an "invader taking over the board." Several members posted that I, and others like me, was a "troll" "computer illiterate" etc etc. (Interestingly, the post that talked about computer "illiteracy" and "lack of intelligence enough to post on the Board" was grammatically deficient with several mis-spelled words.)

Such a difference now! New Moderators with some sense of reason.

May I also suggest that we need a "pinned Thread" entitled "Schedules and Marathons" as a reference for constantly changing schedule information. Suggestion, the first post of such a Thread should "not" be a schedule or marathon; Bubba's Marathon Thread had such an arrangement and a year or two later people were thinking that marathon was new material. Also, the posts on a schedule Thread should be "deleted" a week or two after the listed episodes air. This will eliminate nearly useless information and keep the Thread short and easily referred to. (I'm not suggesting that you erase posts on any other Thread, just the Schedule Thread)

I think it would be a good idea when any of us discovers one of his/her previous posts regarding a technical "how to" or "how not to" use the boards software; he/she would copy and or move that post to the Technical Thread. That way we will build up a good reference that everyone can find easily when they have problems. (I know I've seen posts about Avatars, posting pictures, etc. and I've posted several times about "tricks" to using the word processing software.)

As the off-season is coming and we have New Moderators, maybe it's a good time to start "cleaning up" and "re-organizing/re-structuring" the LOCI Board. This doesn't mean that anything done in the past is bad or good; but, just that, like any home or office, in 5-8 years of use, a lot of outdated "stuff" has accumulated. It's time to clean-out the Board's Garage/Attic. The moderators, alone can't do this; we all must clean-out our own clutter.

Step 1: Discarding Outdated or Useless "Stuff":

1. Posts that say nothing other than "Bump."
Once a someone has created a post after it on the same Thread, the "Bump" post has no function whatsoever.

2. Schedule information on episodes that have Aired more than two or three weeks ago.
We can't turn-back the clock, so the information is useless.

By making only the first two alterations above, we will "shorten" a large number of our Threads. If I understand correctly, we will also speed up navigation time.

Step 2: Logically be renaming, merging, and/or eliminating Threads (i.e. "compacting" and "sorting" it into groups)

Step 3: After all the outdated/useless "stuff" has been thrown out and the remainder "compacted" and "named properly"; we could re-structure/re-organize the whole Board (creating Sections and Sub-Sections (ie file cabinets) to make everything easy to find.

Excellent suggestions! If you will start a "Schedules and Marathons" thread, using the schedule of season 8 episodes you posted in the Etiquette thread (that was you, wasn't it?), then I will pin it.

I hadn't thought about deleting all the "bump" posts...that would take some time, but maybe working on it a little at a time would be worthwhile. It would clean things up.

I've been merging threads where I can. There are lots of old, old threads (42 or 43 pages!), so I won't be able to merge all duplicate threads, but I'm trying to catch them as they come up.

I would love to have a sub forum for episode threads. I don't know if that's within my "powers" but I'll check and see.
Posted Image

WELCOME HOME, BOBBY AND ALEX!!!

#27 chimera

chimera

Queen of Twilight Isle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:01 AM

Thank you!
I'm worried about Twilight Isle. I know
it doesn't belong on the Ship or not to
ship thread, because that confuses strangers.
Also, that thread is so long nobody wants
to read it anyway. What to do? :o

Edited by chimera, 13 July 2009 - 01:32 AM.

#28 moark

moark

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:32 PM

If anybody wants an animated GIF (the ones on my siggy) please feel free to PM me. I just can't do glitter. sorry!

~moark~

Thank you LOCINUMBER1FAN for this picture!!!

Why do we fall Master Bruce?. . . So we can learn to pick ourselves up.
~ Alfred ~ Batman Begins

~~~~~~
"There's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for."

—Sam ~ Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

~~~~~~
Your Mind is like a parachute, it works best when it's open

No one can stop us now
The world is rushing by
The wind is at our back
Everything's new tonight, we're going our own way
No matter what they say
The bridge is on fire, we're flying higher now

You and I will ride tonight
'Till the past is out of sight
We don't have to look back now
We are knocking down the wall, all for one and one for all
We can stand together
Never gonna look back now

~ For a dear friend. :)

Made these myself!!

Current Funds:
Visit RabekaJr. Fund: $10
New Laptop fund: $10

#29 Addicted2CI

Addicted2CI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:34 PM

I'm probably going to feel really stupid for asking this, but what do the abbreviations: IMO and IMHO mean? I've seen it in posts and for the life of me, I can't figure out what they mean. ^^:::::

#30 filigree2

filigree2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:34 PM

I'm probably going to feel really stupid for asking this, but what do the abbreviations: IMO and IMHO mean? I've seen it in posts and for the life of me, I can't figure out what they mean. ^^:::::

In my opinion, in my humble opinion :)

#31 Anchoress

Anchoress

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:51 PM

Here's a LIST OF INTERNET SLANG AND ABBREVIATIONS for reference.

Source: Wiktionary.org.
Making sense of the world from my cubicle in the cellar.

#32 Addicted2CI

Addicted2CI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

In my opinion, in my humble opinion :)

Ah! Thank you! :lol:

Here's a LIST OF INTERNET SLANG AND ABBREVIATIONS for reference.

Source: Wiktionary.org.

I didn't even know they had a dictionary for this.....how awesome is that, haha. Thank you, too!

#33 LOCIFan2

LOCIFan2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:00 PM

This is an edited version of something I had posted on the Etiquette Thread, because we didn't yet have a Technical Thread.

I've created heading/queries in italics, with answers/replies following in standard type.

I can't find a Post (or Thread) I know was there yesterday/last week, etc.

Very few Threads and/or Posts on this Forum have been "deleted" since the Board was started around 2005.
They have, however, moved up and down/on or off the first page, depending on frequency of "posting traffic."

Every time someone creates a new post (on any thread), pressing the submit/post key, moves the Thread of the new post to the top of the Thread Index Page #1. To clear the top spot for this entry, every pre-existing Thread on the page moves down one space, and the bottom Thread moves to the top of Page 2; and the same thing happens on Page 2 and 3, etc. for as many Pages of Thread Index exist to the beginning of the Forum.

Even though the page numbers at the bottom of Page 1 indicates only 3 pages; our list of "hidden" Threads is now 40+ Pages long and growing.

To access other pages, go to the bottom of the first page and open the drop-down space that says "30, 60, or 90 days" and select "All." (You may want to "default" the long list by pressing "Save List" -- pardon these button names are inexact, they are located near the 30, 60, 90 day button, if you need them.)

Duplicate/Multiple Threads on a Single Topic (the Pet Peeve of Board Members and many Veteran Members of this Forum):

Please show some restraint! Before you post, look for an "Old Thread" on/very nearly your Topic, and post on that Thread, instead of contributing to "Thread Proliferation."

A New Thread is not needed every time you want to say something; it just creates clutter; besides, in 40-something pages (approx 1700-1800 threads) there is probably at least one or more that covers any topic you want to talk about, answers any question you have, or even answers questions you never thought of. (i.e. on a Thread on Page 8, I learned that Goren's Badge Number is 4376)

Making posted text align with the margin and appear without all the strange codes and markers.

First, only the person who created the Post, can Edit or Delete it. (The same applies to Thread Names)

Every time you edit a post, the software automatically "indents" the new copy another time. In other words, if you edit two or three times, your copy starts to look like a newspaper column (a narrow strip down the center of the page).

I don't think this word processing software is very "user friendly." I have yet to discover a way to produce a table or columns on it.

To Edit/Correct a Post:

1. Click the Edit Button at the Bottom of the specific post.
2. Select "Full Edit"
3. Do your changes
4. Correct the Indentions (move the margins back to the left and right edge of the page) by moving your cursor to the top, left edge of your text and then clicking the left arrow button at the top of the word processing screen/box as many times as necessary to move the copy to the left margin.
5. Click the "Add Reply" button.

I don't know how to Edit a Thread Name/Title, as I have never created a new Thread; but, since the same software is being used, it's logical to believe that the above processes would also work for Thread Titles.

More Tips for posting "clean" copy:

Method #1 - Composing on the Forum's Software
If you are going to write a very long post, press "Add Reply" and go back and edit while you compose. Several times, I have tried to compose on the screen and while I was writing, the software "closed" the screen losing all my previous work. It's easier to "save" an incomplete post and edit, then to have to start over from the beginning.

Method #2 - Using Standard Word Processing Software (I use MS-Word, but I expect one could use Word Perfect, etc)

An even better process for long posts and/or posting copies of newspaper articles, etc. is to:

Do the original work on a standard "MS Word" (or other software) document; where you can clean it up and do some editing.

Then, copy and paste to the Board's software. You'll still have to edit, because this software tends to alter spacing, fonts, and margins on its own; but, if something goes wrong, the text will be available elsewhere.

Another advantage of using Office grade software, is that you can copy and paste an article from an online newpaper or magazine onto a Word document, edit, and save it; without the software clipping, reformatting, or closing out before you are finished. (It gives you time to work)

(I am not versed in graphics and photo posting, but I expect that some adaptation of the above would apply to Editing those as well.)

Edited Fri 09/04/2009

Edited by LOCIFan2, 04 September 2009 - 02:30 PM.

#34 Anchoress

Anchoress

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

Another thing that can happen to threads is they can be merged with similar threads. And I'm not sure about none being deleted - I've seen several disappear recently (by Yazzmin or however her name is spelled), and I couldn't find them in any merged threads.

#35 krodgers

krodgers

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,859 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

Another thing that can happen to threads is they can be merged with similar threads. And I'm not sure about none being deleted - I've seen several disappear recently (by Yazzmin or however her name is spelled), and I couldn't find them in any merged threads.

Because if it's a topic that relates to another, I'll delete it. Too many of the same topics, which clutters the board. :)

Posted Image Krod, LOCI Moderator

#36 jr6020

jr6020

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:27 AM

How the hell does one post a photo? i can't figure it out. Someone please advise (I use an I-Mac)...jr6020

#37 Anchoress

Anchoress

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:57 AM

In order to reduce the load on servers, most bulleten boards only post hosted photos. Are you trying to include a photo that is hosted somewhere (Flickr, Photobucket, Photostream, etc.)

Could you say more about what you've tried so far?

#38 globetrottersara

globetrottersara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:51 AM

mumble mumble...

The DST check/uncheck trick worked for the time. But I still can't update my profile (location, http:// etc...) When I click on "Edit Profile Information" I only get the email, password and M/F options. Maybe this is because I just joined?

RG: "Maybe somebody else is pulling the reins." (Ill-Bred) ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Maybe I'll have some of your Major coffee..."
Official Napkin-folder on USS NoRoMo + Bartender replacement.
Live, let live... and have some fun! And know when to be serious, on and offline. ::: blog :::
"The shore is to the sea... Solitary. And in the end we'll be... Solitary." -Skye Edwards
"Biolence is neber dee answer" -JJP

::: Near Misses 101 :::

#39 ciaddict

ciaddict

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,839 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:31 AM

How the hell does one post a photo? i can't figure it out. Someone please advise (I use an I-Mac)...jr6020

I don't know if there is a difference in computers, but I found these instructions that our old friend Bubba Bridges (sniff! I miss Bubba!) posted:

POSTING PICTURES

It's quite simple if you have a free account at www.photobucket.com, that's the site that most of us use.

1. You will transfer the picture from your computer to the www.photobucket.com account.

2. Once the image is in the www.photobucket.com account,

3. Click on the the bottom line (of the three) below the thumbnail image.

4. Right click and then select copy that...

5. Point at your reply, Right click, select (left click) Paste - that will paste the image information onto the text area of your reply message...

6. The main restriction on posting images is that they are resized to be not larger than 450 pixels wide and this is to help those on the board that have their screens set to a larger image for viewing. (the edit function on www.photobucket.com has a built in resize function.)
Posted Image

WELCOME HOME, BOBBY AND ALEX!!!

#40 lynnann

lynnann

MS Queen of Candles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:31 PM

How do you pm someone? I don't have a clue how to do it. :blink: Any help will be appreciated. :D

Have fun & be safe! Lynnann
Have fun and be safe! Lynnann

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved