• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 luvcookin

luvcookin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:07 PM

I absolutely LOVE this show! Can any long time fans please tell me why Michael eats yogurt so much? There may be no reason, but it's driving me nuts!

TIA!

#2 Summer_Fun

Summer_Fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:08 PM

We don't know other than there's evidence he's a very careful, healthy eater.

#3 FiRocks

FiRocks
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:42 PM

I absolutely LOVE this show! Can any long time fans please tell me why Michael eats yogurt so much? There may be no reason, but it's driving me nuts!

TIA!

From what Matt Nix said, it's basically because it's cheap, fast protein and in the field supposedly operatives need stuff that's portable and fast to eat that gives them enough protein to do their jobs.

#4 Curator

Curator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:19 PM

This seems as good a thread as any to ask another question. Has it been established what languages Michael speaks?

I know we've seen him write that note to the Pakistani Embassy agent in Urdu (supposedly badly), and he recognized that Carla spoke something in Arabic (with a Kurdish accent--am I remembering that right) but now in "Friends & Family" it would seem that Spanish isn't one of his languages, since he asked the Venezuelan security guy if he spoke English. Anyway, it was mentioned in another thread on Mike's military background that covert agents would naturally need to know several languages and that is what set me off on thinking about this.
Curator

Posted Image

#5 Maria417

Maria417

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:28 PM

This seems as good a thread as any to ask another question. Has it been established what languages Michael speaks?

I know we've seen him write that note to the Pakistani Embassy agent in Urdu (supposedly badly), and he recognized that Carla spoke something in Arabic (with a Kurdish accent--am I remembering that right) but now in "Friends & Family" it would seem that Spanish isn't one of his languages, since he asked the Venezuelan security guy if he spoke English. Anyway, it was mentioned in another thread on Mike's military background that covert agents would naturally need to know several languages and that is what set me off on thinking about this.

Remember he speaks Russian quite well apparently--well enough to convince Sergei in "Comrades" that he was a Russian, raised in America.

Edited by Maria417, 07 June 2009 - 07:30 PM.

DuctTape

#6 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

In addition to the above, we heard a little Czech (Old Friends), a lot of Russian (Comrades), and a reference to "the past tense of every verb in five languages" in Breaking and Entering.

The no Spanish makes no sense for someone who grew up in Miami. He has been intermittent in it--with this "habla ingles" contrasted with the inconsistency of "no problemo." I think he used it briefly in that deleted scene from the pilot, looking for Enrique as someone he knew in Madrid.

Signature courtesy of DuctTape

#7 Curator

Curator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

In addition to the above, we heard a little Czech (Old Friends), a lot of Russian (Comrades), and a reference to "the past tense of every verb in five languages" in Breaking and Entering.

The no Spanish makes no sense for someone who grew up in Miami. He has been intermittent in it--with this "habla ingles" contrasted with the inconsistency of "no problemo." I think he used it briefly in that deleted scene from the pilot, looking for Enrique as someone he knew in Madrid.

I forgot about those other Central European examples. It makes sense after that line in the Pilot (I think only in the uncut version) where he refers to being generally unfamiliar with some of the current Miami foods, because where he was operating all he had was pirogi and goat ;-). I do see the point about Spanish and Miami, but maybe he just never applied himself to learn it well before he left at age 17 and then never had a work-related reason in the Middle East and Central Europe

So.....five languages is a good guess then?

Edited by Curator, 07 June 2009 - 07:47 PM.

Curator

Posted Image

#8 Karendipitee

Karendipitee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

I forgot about those other Central European examples. It makes sense after that line in the Pilot (I think only in the uncut version) where he refers to being generally unfamiliar with some of the current Miami foods, because where he was operating all he had was pirogi and goat ;-). I do see the point about Spanish and Miami, but maybe he just never applied himself to learn it well before he left at age 17 and then never had a work-related reason in the Middle East and Central Europe

So.....five languages is a good guess then?

It's a start. There have been several refs to Bulgaria and time in Afghanistan too.

Signature courtesy of DuctTape

#9 tvspaz626

tvspaz626

Super Psych-O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:53 PM

with the whole spanish thing, my dad's mom is puerto rican and he doesn't know ANY spanish. so just cuz mike is from miami, doesnt mean he has to know spanish. at least, not enough to be conversational. he probably just knows basic stuff.

Posted Image

Head Pineapple-Sitter for the CMP2

Posted Image

My YouTube page. Mostly Psych related
My Twitter: jvento

#10 Yeti

Yeti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

Does anyone else notice that Michael and Fi always eat yogurt?

Maybe I'm imagining it and its only been in the last few episodes... but it seems to me that whenever they're just hanging out they're eating yogurt.

Am I right?

#11 AussieFan94

AussieFan94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:57 AM

You must be a newbie yeah it's something that has been around forever

#12 NatashaFatale

NatashaFatale

Ghost in the Machine

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:10 AM

Hi Yeti! :) thanks for posting.

There's been lots of discussion about the yogurt on BN! Since there's already so many threads about it, your yogurt thread was moved over to this thread: Yogurt anyone?, where we welcome you to continue the discussion here. Check your private message inbox for more info. It's just to keep the forum more organized since we have so many threads, and to keep threads on the same topic in one easy-to-find place.

Here are some other threads you might like to read or post in - Eventually there will be a master thread for all these yogurt threads:
What's the significance of the yogurt?
What is up with all the yogurt on the show?
Blueberry Yogurt? I notice every episode either Michael or Fiona eating it - what's the reference?
Background on Michael - yogurt anyone? why so much?
Does he only eat Blueberry yogurt?
What's your favorite yogurt?

Edited by NatashaFatale, 20 June 2009 - 02:37 AM.

713siggysmuse.png

#13 DuctTape

DuctTape

I'll take my chances!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:53 PM

There's been lots of discussion about the yogurt on BN! Since there's already so many threads about it, your yogurt thread was moved over to this thread: Yogurt anyone?, where we welcome you to continue the discussion here. Check your private message inbox for more info. It's just to keep the forum more organized since we have so many threads, and to keep threads on the same topic in one easy-to-find place.

Here are some other threads you might like to read or post in - Eventually there will be a master thread for all these yogurt threads:
What's the significance of the yogurt?
What is up with all the yogurt on the show?
Blueberry Yogurt? I notice every episode either Michael or Fiona eating it - what's the reference?
Background on Michael - yogurt anyone? why so much?
Does he only eat Blueberry yogurt?
What's your favorite yogurt?

Posted Image
From Episode 3.03 End Run. I think Brenner's is a fake brand used by the film industry (looks real).

Edited by DuctTape, 21 June 2009 - 01:52 PM.

3Yogurtsv5-IgnitetheLight.jpg

Lots of places in the world with C4 and yogurt

#14 Yeti

Yeti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:43 PM

You must be a newbie yeah it's something that has been around forever

I wouldn't say I'm a newbie - although I didn't start watching in the first season.

It was more something I didn't notice until now... don't know why that might be.

#15 PhilippaConnors

PhilippaConnors

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:42 AM

I wouldn't say I'm a newbie - although I didn't start watching in the first season.

It was more something I didn't notice until now... don't know why that might be.

Hi Yeti! Nice to meet you. :) There was recently a rather elaborate conversation that was sparked on the forum about yogurts (various kinds and brands) - even some reviews of yogurts. Natasha linked to it already but I just thought I'd mention it as it was such a detailed analysis of yogurt. :lol:

Thank you for that terrific screencap, DuctTape! I've yet to see the Brenner's yogurt anywhere - has anyone tried this brand? Does it actually exist? Hmmm... *pondering thoughtfully*
Posted Image

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved