• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 mjstinger103

mjstinger103

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:17 PM

i have been eating yoplait original, but my wife says it has too much sugar. so i switched ti yoplait light, now she says, it has aspartame, which is linked to cancer. UGHH !!! i kind of like the pre mixed better than fruit on the bottom. sometimes the F.O.T.B tastes bitter. i need your help because i am all out, and getting the shakes. i know i can count on my burn notice yogurt loveing, friends. any suggestions ?? HELP :lol:

#2 vestokes

vestokes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:02 PM

I don't like Yoplait because it's too sweet. I generally get the generic brands that have active cultures. They are pretty good and generally less expensive. I buy all the flavors so I have variety but like the berry ones: cherry, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry.....

#3 rebecce

rebecce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:17 PM

i have been eating yoplait original, but my wife says it has too much sugar. so i switched ti yoplait light, now she says, it has aspartame, which is linked to cancer. UGHH !!! i kind of like the pre mixed better than fruit on the bottom. sometimes the F.O.T.B tastes bitter. i need your help because i am all out, and getting the shakes. i know i can count on my burn notice yogurt loveing, friends. any suggestions ?? HELP :lol:

B) Have you tried Activia? It tastes pretty good & it helps improve your digestive system.

#4 The7thFloor

The7thFloor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:56 PM

I don't get why the character Michael Westen seems to eat only Yogurt. I know that the Causacks (Russians) have a staple diet of it and can claim longevity of 100+ years (longest was 150 years before he came to USA and ate our food and died) but why does the character eat it exclusively. And where did you read that "aspartame" causes cancer in HUMANS? It was lab rats BIG difference. And it was mega-doses not a few teaspoons in some Yogurt cup. Trust me aspartame is just fine to consume or the FDA would have pulled it from the shelves by now.

One good thing about Yogurt is that the bacteria culture (Lactobacillus bulgaricus) in it helps your digestive system and helps you to be regular. Is that why you like it?

FYI - Yogurt is produced by bacterial fermentation of milk. Fermentation of the milk sugar (lactose) produces lactic acid, which acts on milk protein to give yogurt its texture and its characteristic tang. So you can not escape the complex carbohydrate SUGAR with Yogurt. They only add sweeteners for taste to overcome the "tang" flavor of natural Yogurt.

You can make your own Yogurt: easily produced in the home kitchen without any special equipment except for a thermometer. The basic steps in yogurt making are to heat milk to 185 F, cooling it to 110 F, stir a starter of live Yogurt cultures (usually lactobacillus bulgaricus and/or streptococcus thermophilus) or a small amount of plain Yogurt (from previous batch or store-bought), ferment at 110 F for 7 hours, and then chill overnight in a refrigerator. The heating of the milk can be accomplished via direct heat using any number of kitchen appliances. A double boiler or water jacket is ideally suited because it provides very consistent heat without burning. A microwave oven can also be used, but the milk must be first placed in a heat-proof non-metallic container. Using a cold water bath will quickly lower the milk temperature to 110 F.

Once the mixture is cooled to 110 F, the starter is added and the mixture is kept as close to 110 F as possible for 7 hours. During this period, the active cultures consume the lactose in the milk, curdling it, and creating lactic acid. Lactic acid is what gives yogurt its distinctive tangy flavor. The longer the mixture sits, the thicker and more tangy it will become. To maintain the milk with bacteria at this warm temperature, a cooking thermometer and an oven are often used. Alternatives include the use of a thermos, special yogurt-making machines (to make larger quantities of yogurt), microwaves, and even heating pads.

Additionally, some nonfat-dry milk may be added to thicken the end product and if one wishes to increase the nutritional content of the yogurt (this is added before the yeast culture or active yogurt is added to the milk). Good results can be obtained by boiling water, cooling it and adding non-fat dry milk powder to the desired consistency, especially for making lassi* which needs the consistency of buttermilk. However, the organic natural yogurt contains only milk and live active cultures.

* Lassi - South Asian drink with yogurt with water, salt, pepper, ice and spices.

Posted Image

PRESS for my Identity

Stare at Men In Black... see anything unusual?

#5 mjstinger103

mjstinger103

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

I don't get why the character Michael Westen seems to eat only Yogurt. I know that the Causacks (Russians) have a staple diet of it and can claim longevity of 100+ years (longest was 150 years before he came to USA and ate our food and died) but why does the character eat it exclusively. And where did you read that "aspartame" causes cancer in HUMANS? It was lab rats BIG difference. And it was mega-doses not a few teaspoons in some Yogurt cup. Trust me aspartame is just fine to consume or the FDA would have pulled it from the shelves by now.

One good thing about Yogurt is that the bacteria culture (Lactobacillus bulgaricus) in it helps your digestive system and helps you to be regular. Is that why you like it?

FYI - Yogurt is produced by bacterial fermentation of milk. Fermentation of the milk sugar (lactose) produces lactic acid, which acts on milk protein to give yogurt its texture and its characteristic tang. So you can not escape the complex carbohydrate SUGAR with Yogurt. They only add sweeteners for taste to overcome the "tang" flavor of natural Yogurt.

#1-YOUR DEFINITELY NOT A BURN NOTICE FAN, OR YOU WOULD KNOW WHY MW EATS YOGURT, I HAPPEN TO REALLY LIKE YOGURT, EVEN WAAAAAAY BEFORE I STARTED WATCHING B.N. #2- I WASN'T ASKING FOR A HISTORY LESSON. #3- I NEVER SAID IT CAUSED CANCER IN HUMANS,I SAID LINKED TO CANCER. #4- I REALLY DON'T TRUST THE FDA MUCH,LOOK HOW MANY TIMES THEY CHANGED THEIR FINDINGS ON THE EGG. #5- I DIDN'T ASK FOR THE BENEFITS OF YOGURT, OR THE INGREDIENT BREAK DOWN. AND FINALLY #6- I DIDN'T ASK FOR A RECIPE. THE QUESTION WAS (DRUM ROLL) WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE YOGURT. THAT'S IT !! :angry:

#6 cargram

cargram

Fiona, feisty and fabulous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:30 PM

Dannon light strawberry! Never tried blue berry until BN came, now I like that too!
Posted Image

sig courtesy of AggieThrower30

#7 justloveyogurt

justloveyogurt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:19 PM

My friend mjstinger103: My fav is Brown Cow, 2nd choice is Stonyfield Farms both organic and available from Whole Foods and even my local Walmart. Dannon is okay and yo-baby is packaged for babies but isn't too sweet( also handy 4 oz size). To appease the sugar monster it's really easy to add a few berries and sweetener of choice(honey?) to plain yogurt. I have been eating yogurt for decades and yes Ive even made my own. My suggestion is to try your favorite flavor in every brand available to you that meets your wife's approval. Everyone's taste is different and your fav will become obvious to you. Cheers!

JustLoveYogurt

#8 melanie

melanie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:59 PM

mmm, most definatley dannon light and fit.

=]

80 calories per yogurt, and those babys are huge!!!
yum.

#9 FiRocks

FiRocks
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:03 PM

My favorite, favorite is Trader Joe's Organic Non Fat Greek Style Blueberry Yogurt which I just ran out of! :( That's OK I still have some Trader Joe's Non-Fat Mixed Berry Yogurt it's not the same but it'll do! :D

#10 PhilippaConnors

PhilippaConnors

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:50 PM

I actually make my own yogurt because I love the milk I get from a nearby creamery. And I can also control how much or little sweetness there is to the yogurt. I always make plain yogurt and then add a spoon of my homemade jam in when I'm getting ready to eat it. My favorite is blackberry. :)

It's so amazingly good, homemade yogurt - and it actually isn't very hard to do! You need to heat the milk to just about boiling and then let it cool down until it's between 95-108 degrees, I think it is? I always just aim for 105 degrees, so I'm not sure but could check on that for you. Anyway, you add either a store bought yogurt or add actual yogurt starter (which looks a little like yeast but is the culture for the yogurt) to the milk. Then you put it in the container and turn on the yogurt maker and that's it! You leave it in the yogurt maker for between 6-9 hours generally (depending on what kind of milk you use; skim milk requires a longer "set" time for the yogurt).

I have a Salton yogurt maker - this isn't a Salton but looks exactly like mine. But there are lots of different kinds of yogurt makers out there. I ordered mine from the King Arthur Flour company in Vermont, but as you can see there are lots of them on amazon.

As for store bought yogurts - I really like that La Creme yogurt by Dannon. It's in strawberry only, I think? That's the only one I've seen at my grocery, anyway. It's a whole milk yogurt. I also like the whole milk yogurts by Stoneyfield Farms. This yogurt has a little layer of cream on the top that is very yummy! The blueberry one is my favorite.
Posted Image

#11 LillyHobbs

LillyHobbs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:24 PM

I eat fat-free, no sugar added light yogurt. But,no matter the brand, it all has too much aspartame and is sickly sweet. So, I take a coffee filter and line a colandar and fill it with Dannon All-Natural Nonfat Plain yogurt (which contains only skim milk, pectin, and active cultures so is healthy but a little watery and very TART by itself.) After setting overnight, the whey has drained out and the yogurt is thicker, more like sour cream. Then I add 6 ounces of this to 6 ounces of Yoplait Light Fat-free No-sugar-added Very Cherry. It's perfect. :lol: Not too sweet, not too runny, half as much aspartame per serving. But, still Very Cherry.
And I thought that was a lot of work but I didn't realize people around here were making their own. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a home Yogurt-maker. Way to go, Philippa! Guess Michael should be glad Fi will eat it right out of the carton, even if she makes a face at Blueberry. Especially since he seems to supply her with all the yogurt she can eat. (I forget the ep. name but y'all know the one I mean.) :rolleyes:

#12 insanepuppy

insanepuppy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

I like getting those bigger containers of vanilla yogurt, and then putting it in a bowl, and "fixing it up". :D Cut up strawberries to put in (seriously, the fruits in the bottoms of those little yogurt containers are disgusting, but fresh fruit? Yuuuuum!), or raspberries, or mango, or strawberries and mango (heavenly!), or maybe some chocolate...

Most flavored yogurt I really can't stand except for vanilla, but flavoring it myself with REAL fruit, that is amazingly good.

Looky! It's a signature!

#13 GolferGal

GolferGal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:02 AM

It seems my yogurt eating is kind of boring compared to some of these interesting posts. ;)

I usually eat Dannon Light and Fit, pretty much any flavor. My faves include Vanilla, White Chocolate Raspberry, Strawberry Banana, Lemon, and Lime.

I also eat Weight Watchers nonfat yogurt occasionally, but don't buy it as much because there doesn't seem to be as big a variety at the grocery stores. The Amaretto Cheesecake, Berries and Cream, White Chocolate Raspberry, Vanilla, Black Cherry, Lemon Cream Pie, and Strawberry Banana are all yummy.

#14 mjstinger103

mjstinger103

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:05 AM

wow, you guys and gals are amazing! you've helped me narrow it down to 1- try some different brands that you have suggested, vestokes,rebecce,cargram,melanie,FiRocks and golfergal. 2- create my own by mixing real fruit with a base yogurt,justloveyogurt,lillyhobbs,insanepuppy. 3- make my own , Philippa. i'll start on these ideas for now. if there are any more ideas, i'm all ears. thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :P

#15 Cheffie66

Cheffie66

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

I don't have a favourite brand, but I'll eat any of them if they're hazelnut. I LOVE hazelnut yoghurt! I do enjoy various fruit ones and I do try to stay healthy by checking out sugar/fat content etc (which is pointless - my other passion is chocolate!). But, at the end of the day, I'll go with what I like regardless of the brand.

And as an aside of sorts, is it me or are the yoghurts in the States absolutely massive? On the show, whenever Fi is holding a pot, it looks huge! Although I thought it could be because she's so tiny....maybe it's a perspective thing. But now I'm not so sure. Anyway, those yoghurt pots look like family size. Are they really that big? Or are they made especially for the show?! Enquiring minds need to know!

#16 dramamama

dramamama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

Stonyfield Farms Organic fat-free French Vanilla. YUM!!!!

#17 Saqqara

Saqqara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

The only flavored yogurt I'll buy from any merchant. Spega La Natura Low Fat Yogurt is by far one of the best yogurt I've found. Imported from Italy, Spega yogurt is made of cow's milk and is available at Trader John's in a few flavors and combinations. I love their Coffee, Cinnamon & Ginger and their Mixed Berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries).

They come in duos. Two 150g (5.3 ounces each). All natural. Made with Bifidobacterium, Lacidophilus and 0.5% milk fat. The fruit (sweetened) is in the bottom. You stir it and presto. They have a lovely texture and flavor and come in these cute little glass jars that are not only recyclable but also the perfect vehicles for off the cuff home jam making efforts. Just top them with plastic wrap and a rubber band in a rush. You can re-use them in the kitchen and garden and they hold a small tea light nicely too.
If you love someone you would be willing to give up everything for them, but if they loved you back they'd never ask you to.
Anonymous

#18 SandraR

SandraR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

I still eat Yoplait. My favorite is blueberry or Boston creme, cherry cobbler :D
Sandra

#19 AlwaysInjured1

AlwaysInjured1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:55 PM

Wow...you people are hardcore! Making your own yogurt, straining it thru coffee filters (just making coffee is too much work for me), I mean, wow. Personally, I'm not a huge yogurt fan, but it is quite a handy on the go breakfast. I'm all over black cherry and strawberry banana. The more sugar (or aspartame) the better as far as I'm concerned. In my opinion, life is too short to worry about what you eat. If it's delicious, eat it. That could be why I love nutella and fluff sandwiches, lard fried chips, and some whole milk to wash it all down. :)
I'm not good with advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment?

"I know in my heart that man is good, that what is right will always eventually triumph. And there's purpose and worth to each and every life."

#20 LillyHobbs

LillyHobbs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

<H2 class=posttitle>Daniel Carasso, creator of Dannon yogurt, dies at 103

I would guess that he ate a lot of his product. So, if Michael can keep from getting shot, blown up, killed in a car wreck or mangled by Fi if he ticks her off, then he may have a nice long life ahead of him. </H2>

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved