• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 macgyversg10

macgyversg10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:36 PM

We must have a few movie buffs out here, I know I (and PhilippaC) love spy flics (and a bunch of other movies, too); sometimes I feel like DiNoseo in NCIS always rattling on about some movie or other, so I thought we might like to discuss them from time to time.

I know we generally stick to the spy genre 'round here, and that is great 'cause there are plenty of spy movies and TV shows to talk about, but I don't necessaruly want to limit it. SO if anyone want to discuss any movies (or TV shows), we can do it here. But let's try to remember the SPOILER rules, even for older movies, since not everybody may have seen them.

------------

I just saw DUPLICiTY today (With Julia Roberts, Clive Owen, Tom Wilkenson, and Paul Giamonti and over-all I thought it was pretty good (a B+). It had some rather good moments; both suspensful and funny, and enough plot twists to keep you guessing. The chemistry between Roberts and Owens was fun and the quirky caper was entertaining.

The movie essential deals with two operatives (Roberts & Owens) from different spy agencies (she CIA & he MI-6), who were rivals some five years earlier and are now working the private sector doing corporate espionage for compeating cosmetic companies trying to steal each other's secrets.

The movie takes you to several locals, including Rome, Dubi, New York, The Carribian and Miami (how strange -- spys in Miami :lol: )

I don't wanna say too much since it only just opened yesterday, but the plot reminded me a little like "Lucky Number Sleven" with Josh Hartnet, Lucy Lui, Bruce Willus, Morgan Freeman, and Ben Kingsley -- which also had a lot of plot twists and red herrings to keep you guessing to the end.

If you like spy, I think you'd like Duplicity
"Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?" --Pink Floyd

#2 macgyversg10

macgyversg10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:49 PM

I also saw "Kowing" with Nicholas Cage, who plays an MIT professor and an only father, who wife dies recently. Cage is trying to unravel a number puzzle left in a time capsule by a school girl 50 years earlier, which seems to predict global disasters. He is also trying to come to terms with a struggle between religious ideloogy and random chance.

His young son, seems to possess the same sort of 'gifts' that the school girl had and they both become caught up in events of a world changing nature.

As end-of-the world prognosticator movies go, this wasn't a bad movie; it had solid performances by Cage and others, it had terrific special effects and some truly terrifing action sequences, but the ending seemed disappointing (to me, anyway).

I still think it is worth a look-see though. I'd probably give it a B-.

-Mac

Let me know what you think?

#3 McLovinthaburn

McLovinthaburn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:07 AM

Lucky Number Slevin - I Love this movie. a Lot.

As for favorite movies...I'd be hard pressed to find my favorites. I like movies that entertain me, and I'm easily entertained so...the list gets long.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is way up there...

Equilibrium is also up there.

Kiss of the Dragon with Jet Li

Rush Hour - simply because of the interaction between Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker

Who Am I - Great action flick. Jackie chan is a secret agent type who loses his memory. lots of good fights, car chases, lots of good stuff

James Bond Movies - the conglomerate

The Dark Knight - chilling performance by Heath Ledger

Taken - Awesome performance by Liam Neeson

I can go on and on...

Head of the Department of Magic and Spell Casting - CMP²

#4 PhilippaConnors

PhilippaConnors

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:57 AM

Awesome idea for a thread, mac!!!

I love movies that are well-executed (well-written, well-acted, well-edited, with great cinematography/sets/music/and so on). Mostly I just want to be told a good story, first and foremost above all else. I could go on and on with this topic - really, I could (and likely will drop in here again) - but off the top of my head, here are a few of my favorite movies by genre:

Spy Thrillers!!

Three Days of the Condor - fabulous movie by Sidney Pollack; starring Robert Redford, Faye Dunaway, Cliff Robertson, and Max Von Sydow. I think most people who love Burn Notice would like this movie a lot. There's a fight scene in this movie that is one of the most well-choreographed and well-filmed that I've ever seen. (and just a note of trivia - I think this is one of only four movies to have filmed inside of the World Trade Center]

Political Thrillers

The Manchurian Candidate - starring Frank Sinatra, Lawrence Harvey, and Angela Lansbury. I remember when I first saw this movie and I was stunned to see Angela Lansbury's dark turn in this flick. I'd only seen her in Murder, She Wrote up to that point. Wow!! Seriously, her performance in Manchurian still sends a chill down my spine. *shudders* What a great actress. I also love the brainwashing sequences, where the soldiers believe themselves to be at the garden party. Pretty cool movie.

Comedies

Groundhog Day - really tightly written comedy by Harold Ramis; starring Bill Murray as Phil Connors (per my moniker around these parts) and a great supporting cast including the lovely Andie Macdowell and Chris Ellis. There's a breeziness to the narrative that belies the depth of this story. I watch it at least twice a year (yes, including on Groundhog Day).

Tootsie - another fabulous movie from Sidney Pollack. Among one of many favorite moments: "For I am not Emily Kimberly, the daughter of Dwayne and Alma Kimberly. No, I'm not. I'm Edward Kimberly, the recluse brother of my sister Anthea. Edward Kimberly, who has finally vindicated his sister's good name. I am Edward Kimberly. Edward Kimberly. And I'm not mentally ill, but proud, and lucky, and strong enough to be the woman that was the best part of my manhood. The best part of myself." The reactions of Bill Murray and Teri Garr are priceless!! This comedy is pure gold. :lol:

Science Fiction

2001: A Space Odyssey - Mac and I were just discussing this movie the other day. I know it's one of his favorites, as it is mine. I was telling him that when I first saw this movie, by the time I got to the end I just sat in silence in front of my television set with a dumbfounded look on my face. This movie just blows. my. mind.

The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day - I loved these movies, especially the first one. It's rare to find such an interesting story that combines science fiction and romance. I love how James Cameron explores the heroism and greatness of humanity in spite of human folly and arrogance. It's a great story.

Time after Time - this is a little movie that I always enjoying watching when it comes on tv. It stars Malcolm Macdowell as HG Wells, who has traveled through time to catch Jack the Ripper (who used Wells' time machine to catapult himself into modern day San Francisco). Co-stars the lovely and talented Mary Steenbergen and veteran actor David Warner as the Ripper.

Drama

Vertigo - actually one of my favorite movies of all time. It's fascinating to see Hitchcock's obsession in making over his leading ladies. Beautifully filmed on location in San Francisco with a haunting score by Bernard Herrmann, this movie is a visual and aural feast.

Network - again, one of my favorite movies of all time. Stars two of my favorite actors of all time, William Holden and Robert Duvall. The prescience screenwriter Paddy Chayefsky had on our pop culture and society -- transnational corporations; oil profits; reality television; media coverage...it's impressive, to say the least.

The Conversation - A Francis Ford Coppola flick that unbelievably enough came out the same year as Godfather II. I think it got completely eclipsed, but this is just a great little movie. I just saw it a couple of weeks ago. Stars Gene Hackman as a guy on the cutting edge of surveillance who finds himself caught up in intrigue and murder plots. Also stars a very young Harrison Ford!

Action/hero movies - I love this genre! It's so much fun.

True Lies - LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! I loved the comedic buddy team of Tom Arnold and Arnold Schwarzenegger, as well as the romantic banter between Arnold and Jamie Lee Curtis (who is absolutely HILARIOUS in this flick). Besides her strip tease scene, my other favorite moment of hers is when she interrogates a Arnold after he's been drugged with a truth serum - so it's all filmed from his perspective, not hers. And she asks him, "how loooonnnng have you been a spppppy, haaaaaarry?" And he answers her and in a blurry shot you can see her looking incredulous and shaking her head in exasperation. :lol:

Superman - starring Christopher Reeve as shy and awkward Clark Kent while moonlighting as the dashing Superman. Christopher Reeve was a fantastic actor and I think his good looks might have overshadowed that fact. I miss him very much...

Disaster movies

The Towering Inferno - I can't help it, I LOVE this movie!!! Starring way too many leading actors to mention by name - including but not limited to William Holden (love this guy!), Paul Newman, Fred Astaire, Faye Dunaway, and Steve McQueen (who I swear actually looks and behaves and *becomes* a firefighter in this flick; he's totally, completely believable and um, on a thoroughly shallow note completely mesmerizing and captivating onscreen). This movie is also notable for having OJ Simpson in a brief role...

Looking forward to hearing from others!!! Thanks again for yet another fantastic thread, Mac. :)
Posted Image

#5 Samfrench25

Samfrench25

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:10 AM

What a great thread idea Mac, I love movies they are such great escapism. Favourite films of all have to be the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, I just love Johnny Depp in that role he plays that kind of sardonic humour so well. Phi I love true lies it's such an action packed film, the governor should've stuck to what he's good @ lol. Other favourites are the bourne films, also love spy game with robert redford and brad pitt (if you haven't seen it, get it) a bit of a car nut so gone in 60 seconds- nic cage has to be there also mark wahlberg's italian job love that film. Bit of a sap for disney films also. Really like a beautiful mind, gladiator, legend of baggervance and da vinci code.

Frenchy Xx

#6 FiRocks

FiRocks
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

Superman - starring Christopher Reeve as shy and awkward Clark Kent while moonlighting as the dashing Superman. Christopher Reeve was a fantastic actor and I think his good looks might have overshadowed that fact. I miss him very much...

OMG on this Philippa! We were separated at birth! Christopher Reeve was my first movie star crush and I cried the day I hear about his accident and the day he died I felt like I had lost someone I knew, you know? The original "Superman" is probably my favorite action movie of all time, I watch it every time I catch it on TV and I even own the special DVD edition which I drag out at least once a year and watch.

OK other favorites:
Favorite Movie "The English Patient" I love this movie. I love how careful they are with the language in this movie, and how smart the script is it's something that gets me whenever I watch it. I also adore the score by Gabriel Yared, I call it my "sick CD" because whenever I get ill I listen to the first three tracks and they totally relax me and lure me into sleep even when I feel I can't do so. It really is a brilliant score, IMHO.

Favorite horror movie: "The Wizard of Oz", seriously, those flying monkeys freaked me out as a child and they still do. They're just so many kinds of wrong.
The closest thing I come to a real horror movie is "Poltergeist" which would be my favorite "real" horror movie because it's the only one I've ever watched all the way through.

Favorite Sci Fi: "Star Wars" I remember seeing it on the big screen way, way, way back in the day and being so awed by everything I saw. You all have to remember this was pre-CGI so the special effects, WOW! They were incredible to me, not to mention they had a really great story to go along with said effects. Princess Leia was probably the first heroine I remember in a movie and IMHO she set a pretty high standard for other women to follow in movies. I think that that's why, to this day, I have such an issue with weak female characters.

#7 PhilippaConnors

PhilippaConnors

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

OMG on this Philippa! We were separated at birth! Christopher Reeve was my first movie star crush and I cried the day I hear about his accident and the day he died I felt like I had lost someone I knew, you know? The original "Superman" is probably my favorite action movie of all time, I watch it every time I catch it on TV and I even own the special DVD edition which I drag out at least once a year and watch.

I remember so clearly when that accident happened. It was just outside of Charlottesville, Virginia. I was just heartbroken when this happened to him. He was a wonderful actor - did you see his remake of Rear Window, by any chance? It was great. *HE* was great. I sent all of my friends the "Go Forward" dog tags and keychains (with the Superman logo and the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation info on it). I just looked those up the other day, as we've been talking about the Life Rolls On foundation in recent days, but alas it doesn't look like you can buy them anymore. I use my "Go Forward" Superman keychain and every single day I look at it and think of him and his bravery and am reminded of how precious and dear life is. I'm grateful to Christopher Reeve for having shared his talent and his life force with all of us. He was a cool guy.

Favorite horror movie: "The Wizard of Oz", seriously, those flying monkeys freaked me out as a child and they still do. They're just so many kinds of wrong.
The closest thing I come to a real horror movie is "Poltergeist" which would be my favorite "real" horror movie because it's the only one I've ever watched all the way through.

This STILL scares the crap out of me...and that music, the Flying Monkeys music... *shudders* :unsure:

Great movies mentioned, one and all! I've liked all of the movies listed (although I confess I've yet to see the Pirates of the Caribbean movies for some reason, not sure why as I really like Johnny Depp...)

Look forward to hearing others' top picks!!
Posted Image

#8 FiRocks

FiRocks
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

I remember so clearly when that accident happened. It was just outside of Charlottesville, Virginia. I was just heartbroken when this happened to him. He was a wonderful actor - did you see his remake of Rear Window, by any chance? It was great. *HE* was great. I sent all of my friends the "Go Forward" dog tags and keychains (with the Superman logo and the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation info on it). I just looked those up the other day, as we've been talking about the Life Rolls On foundation in recent days, but alas it doesn't look like you can buy them anymore. I use my "Go Forward" Superman keychain and every single day I look at it and think of him and his bravery and am reminded of how precious and dear life is. I'm grateful to Christopher Reeve for having shared his talent and his life force with all of us. He was a cool guy.

I have that same keychain, I've had it for what, 4 years now or so? I also have the back up "dog tag" that I've never worn but I still have in the plastic that it was sent in.

This STILL scares the crap out of me...and that music, the Flying Monkeys music... *shudders* :unsure:

So you know!

#9 lovethatmonk

lovethatmonk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

I saw Taken recently...OMG what a great film!! I still sing the praises for this one! Great action sequences..totally rocked! I do love the Bourne movies...My hubby is a 007 buff...He hasnt seen the newer versions of them but I am sure he is picking them up.. :)

I like horror movies alot...anything gory is my choice..I've seen all the Saw movies and Hostels...still a few out there I am willing to pick up..Oh and see a movie call Captivity...really good one..nice twist at the end.. :o

I love Julia Roberts..my favorite actress...I want to see Duplicity..hubby is dragging his feet so I may have to wait and get the DVD if he doesnt change his mind..he likes action movies but not too much on the lovey dovy mix. I will keep working on him.

Totally LOVED the Dark Knight...my top pick last year...tied with Iron Man...mmmm I am soooo in love with Robert Downey Jr... :D

Also love the Pirates movies...Johnny Depp...his is such a versitile actor...cant wait to see him in his new flick this summer... :D

Oh...I like the Wizard of Oz...but got burned out watching it...but I can do a great inpersonation of the Wicked Witch of the West when she says..."I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too!"....freaks out tons of people...eeeeee

LTM

#10 AlwaysInjured1

AlwaysInjured1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

[quote name='macgyversg10' date='Mar 21 2009, 11:36 PM' post='1092489']
We must have a few movie buffs out here, I know I (and PhilippaC) love spy flics (and a bunch of other movies, too); sometimes I feel like DiNoseo in NCIS always rattling on about some movie or other, so I thought we might like to discuss them from time to time.

Definitely have to give a thumbs up for NCIS. Another favorite of mine. Gotta love DiNozzo, definitely one of the best looking dudes on TV.

As far as movies...I have bad taste, and I know it. (Same with music.) Movies are hard for me, they are usually soooooo long, and I have a very short attention span. But anyway, some favorites are -

Dirty Dancing - an all time favorite for all children of the 80s.

The Thomas Crown Affair - the remake with Pierce Brosnan. Just so love that one.

Super Troopers - hands down one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I still laugh through the whole thing..."meow!"

As for recent movies, I did see Gran Turino with Clint Eastwood. Initially, I thought it was going to be like a car movie, because of the video game (but turns out that's Gran Torismo, my mistake). It was really good.

But to be honest, my favorite part of the movies is usually the snacks. Nachos, with extra cheese, and popcorn with extra butter and salt, and those little chocolate chip cookie dough bites. YUMMY!
I'm not good with advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment?

"I know in my heart that man is good, that what is right will always eventually triumph. And there's purpose and worth to each and every life."

#11 Samfrench25

Samfrench25

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

That's so funny, the chronicles of narnia used to terrify me as a little girl and now I'm 25 I STILL cant watch it, that witch freaks me out!

Frenchy Xx

#12 PhilippaConnors

PhilippaConnors

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

I have that same keychain, I've had it for what, 4 years now or so? I also have the back up "dog tag" that I've never worn but I still have in the plastic that it was sent in.

Okay, this is just downright EERIE. We've even got the same keychain?!?! Whoa...I think we *were* separated at birth! :lol:

AlwaysInjured, I really really loved Gran Torino and thought it (along with Changeling) was the best movie I saw last year. Clint Eastwood is amazing - great actor, great director, great musician. I hope he continues to act in films, because it really is enjoyable to see him onscreen!

I love this thread, it's fun getting to hear everyone's favorite flicks! I'm getting some great ideas for movies I should check out sometime, too. B)
Posted Image

#13 macgyversg10

macgyversg10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:13 PM

Wow, got some real movie nuts here, sounds like we have all kinds of tastes and I love 'em all.

For you Johnny Depp fans I saw previews for a new movie this summer where Depp will play John Dilenger, looks pretty good.

Yes, Dark Night, and especially Heath Ledgers' performance were super.

I too, love Python McLovinthaBurn in all it's many forms. They were a great bunch and so very cleaver.
And a "Sleven" fan; it was such a great keep-ya-guessing movie.

Phi, good choices for "Time After Time" and "Manchurian Candidate"; two more of my favs.

FiRocks, we gotta get you some relief for the horror of Flying Monkeys; but WoOz is a true classic (they were kinda scary when I first watched it, too) And love "Star Wars", but I am more of a fan of the first three (maybe I'm just old?)

And the Superman twins -- spooky :lol: (Any like the new "Superman Returns"?)

Samfrench, Ms. Tilden was pretty convincing as the Witch of Narnia, she need a house to fall on her!! :lol:

AlwaysInjured1, if you're a DeNozzo fan then we need to compare note on Tuesday nights. I liked the remake of "Thomas Crowne Affair" too. Pierce and Rene were HOT together. As much as I love Steve McQueen, I think the remake was a bit better.

lovethatmonk, I like a good horror flic, too -- the original "Halloween" and "Nightmare On Elm Street" still are my top picks. Rob Zombie's version of Halloween wasn't bad either, but it was a whole lot more viseral. However it gave some better background into Michael Myers twisted psychy. I saw the first two "Saw" movies and liked them; I need to catch up on the rest. "The Thing" (both version) are also great horror classics.

For Spy movies, I too love the Bourne flics, although I preferred 1 & 3 more than 2 (not sure why) I think the director style on 2 did not work for me?? Bond is always good and I am warming up to Mr. Craig (I liked Conary the best and Pierce was a close 2nd), but Criag is holding his own.

Some other spy movies I've enjoyed:

• Ronin -- for realism and action I cannot beat it. The car chase is outstanding and the chase for the illusive "case" is genuis in it's simplicity.
  • "Spy Games" -- (which someone else mentioned) was truly good. I did not like it the first time I saw it, but grew to it more and more as I re-watched it many times on cable. It shows how involved real-life intelligence is and Redford and Pitt had good on-screen camaraderie. I love the sceen where they go for breakfast in Beruit (histerical and scary).
  • "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" -- with Richard Burton as an over-the-hill operative on one last assignment. It brings the cold-war era to a new understanding.
  • "Torn Curtain" -- A Hitchcock thriller with Paul Newman & Julie ANdrews, who play husband and wife would-be defectors on a mission for the government.
  • "Notorius" -- Another Hitchcock flick with Gary Crant and Ingred Bergman, in persuit of Nazi spys in WWII era US.

Sports Movies:

• "Field Of Dreams" -- more fantasy, but still rich in Baseball ledgion and history and a whole lotta fun.
  • "For Love Of The Game" -- Maybe a bit on the sappy side (I'm a sucker for good sappy), with Kevin Costner as a aging pitcher for the Tigers, who reviews his recent life and must decide between baseball and his woman, played by Kelly Preston, all while he is pitching what may be "the perfect game".
  • "Miracle" -- Kurt Russell pulls in a stellar performance as coach Herb Brooks who brought the USA Olympic hockey team to vistory over the USSR team at Lake Placid in 1980. Even though you know how it ends, the final game against the Russians in edge-of-your-seat excitment and pride for the US.
  • "Mystery Alaska" -- Russell Crow, Mary McCormic, Hank Azara and Burt Reynolds are among an all-star cast of Alaskan's who love their local hockey team, and get to cheer them on as they go up against the NY Rangers. The movies is just a fun and so well writen. I really felt like I grew up in Mystery.
  • "Raging Bull" -- DeNiro and Martin Scorsese masterpice of the life and career of boxer Jake LaMotta
  • "Somebody Up THere Likes Me" -- Robert Wise directs Paul Newman as the boxer Rocky Graziano.
  • "The Hustler" -- One of Newman's best performances as pool hustler Fast Eddy Felson. ALong with George C. Scott and Piper Laurie and Jackie Gleason as Minnesota Fats. Terriffic.
  • "The Color Of Money" -- a sequeal piece to the Hustler, directed by Scorsese, with Newman reprising his character, and going back out on the pool hustle with a newcomer played by Tom Cruise.

... And speaking of Paul Newman, I would also like to mention a few other of my favorites, "The Verdict", where Paul plays a has-been lawyer, who has one last fight in him to right some wrongs in his life. "Absences of Malice" with Sally Fields; directed by Syndey Pollack, where Paul must outwit and protect himself from a nosey reporter and local law enforcement from crime family entaglements. And "Nobody's Fool" a sort of sleeper hit for Paul, which had him as a local blue-collar worker dealing with old age and the town he lives in. Also "Hudsucker Proxy" is a deliciously quirky comedy, with Tim Robins, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Charles Durning and John Mahoney ("Sure, sure!!")

Okay, that 's enough for now, I could do this all night, but then you'd never get ot read it. :)

-Cheers
Mac

Edited by macgyversg10, 22 March 2009 - 11:30 PM.

#14 FiRocks

FiRocks
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:19 AM

OK so I saw "Duplicity" today with my BFF who is also a "Burn Notice" fan and when they showed the scene of Miami, and we recognized where they were before the caption I started laughing and she just started smiling, it was a really, really great movie moment for us! After we were talking about that scene and she said she totally expected GA and JD to make a cameo as Fi and Michael in that scene and she was kind of disappointed when they didn't.

OK SamFrench a bit confused of your fear of Tilda Swinton as the witch in "Chronicles" considering the movie just came out 3 years ago, so you would have been what 22 at the time? Is there another version of the movie that was made earlier that you saw when you were a child? I was just wondering.

lovethatmonk, I still watch "The Wizard of Oz" every time it comes on TV, there's something so nostalgic about it, you know? I remember when it used to air on CBS on one Friday a year how it was a special treat for me to be able to stay awake past my bedtime to watch it, there's just something cool about that memory for me and that's why I still love the movie.

Mac if you like Hitchcock check out the original "Man Who Knew Too Much" not the Doris Day/Jimmy Stewart remake but the black and white version with Peter Lorre, it is really a great film.

#15 macgyversg10

macgyversg10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:29 AM

OK so I saw "Duplicity" today with my BFF who is also a "Burn Notice" fan and when they showed the scene of Miami, and we recognized where they were before the caption I started laughing and she just started smiling, it was a really, really great movie moment for us! After we were talking about that scene and she said she totally expected GA and JD to make a cameo as Fi and Michael in that scene and she was kind of disappointed when they didn't.

Mac if you like Hitchcock check out the original "Man Who Knew Too Much" not the Doris Day/Jimmy Stewart remake but the black and white version with Peter Lorre, it is really a great film.

FiRo, thanks for the Peter Lorre movie reference -- I must find that one!! I love Lorre in so many films, "Maltese Falcon", "Casablanca", "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea", "Arsenic and Old Lace" and "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea", which may have been one of his last movie appearances.

I took a film appreciation class in college and one flic we saw was Fritz Lang's "M" (1931),

Spoiler:
where Lorre played a child molester who is dealt the wrath of "street justice" by the local vagrant populus of a small German town. It was an exceptional movie -- he was wonderful to watch as the propogator or evil and victum of justice.

PS. Glad you and your BFF had a good time with DUPLICiTY, I perked up too when they got to Miami (I thought it was just TOO funny)

Edited by macgyversg10, 23 March 2009 - 01:30 AM.

#16 Samfrench25

Samfrench25

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:40 AM

OK SamFrench a bit confused of your fear of Tilda Swinton as the witch in "Chronicles" considering the movie just came out 3 years ago, so you would have been what 22 at the time? Is there another version of the movie that was made earlier that you saw when you were a child? I was just wondering.

lovethatmonk, I still watch "The Wizard of Oz" every time it comes on TV, there's something so nostalgic about it, you know? I remember when it used to air on CBS on one Friday a year how it was a special treat for me to be able to stay awake past my bedtime to watch it, there's just something cool about that memory for me and that's why I still love the movie.

Lol Fi, no there was a bbc series here when I was a little girl the story terrified me then and I haven't been able to watch the movie either lol.

Frenchy Xx

#17 Saqqara

Saqqara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

Favorite Movies, I tend to like the older classics more.

Any thing Hitchcock, but I like the older black and white ones the best: The Lady Vanishes, 39 Steps and like FiRocks said The Man Who Knew Too Much (Peter Lorrie version) is a great film.

Arsenic and Old Lace is one of my all time favs, I also liked Gary Grant in Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House. (Really I like Cary Grant in anything, If I'd been born at the right time I'd have married that man.)

The Thin Man series with Myrna Loy and William Powell are my favorite detective movies.

War Movies: The Enemy Below, Frogmen and U571.

Sci Fi: Star Wars all the way

Action: All of the Pirates of the Caribbean, Armageddon, Indian Jones, and the Mummy Movies.

Comedy: Monty Python and the original Pink Panther movies.

I also Love The Usual Suspects, Kevin Spacey was just awesome in that film.

Edited by Saqqara, 23 March 2009 - 11:55 AM.

If you love someone you would be willing to give up everything for them, but if they loved you back they'd never ask you to.
Anonymous

#18 AlwaysInjured1

AlwaysInjured1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

I forgot to mention...as a child I was full on obsessed with two movies :
1. Pippy Longstocking. I wanted a spotted horse, and to live in Villa Villa Coola.
2. Rainbow Brite Goes to the San Diego Zoo. I have no idea why, but i used to watch that one over and over.

Philippa - have to say I agree with you on Gran Turino. Such an all around good movie, tho not at all what I expected. And I was definitely laughing out loud at parts too!

macgyversg10 - I'm always up for some NCIS talk. Now if only Barack Obama would choose another day to address the country...
As for the Thomas Crown Affair...i think Steve McQueen was just a little before my time, and Rene and Pierce were just...old :)
I'm not good with advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment?

"I know in my heart that man is good, that what is right will always eventually triumph. And there's purpose and worth to each and every life."

#19 landgazr

landgazr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

A lot of great picks in this thread, I must say.

Don’t have a lot of time but I did want to chime in.

The Conversation – What a film. Hackman is a lonely, guilty and tortured man who struggles with his own moral and professional code after being hired to bug a young couple. MAD props to David Shire for his score. Directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

Heat – Style. Pacing. Depth. Excitement. And one of the few scenes between Pacino and DeNiro (cop Pacino becomes obsessed with catching thief DeNiro, to the detriment of everything else in his life) that had dramatic punch, however subtle. No one films the grittiness, activity and desolation of a major metropolis like director Michael Mann.

The Ipcress File and Funeral in Berlin – If I had “favorites,” these would probably be them. The Harry Palmer series (with Michael Caine in the title role, based on the novels by Len Deighton) got worse as time went on, but the first two had a lot going for them. The former had a somewhat insipid premise (brainwashing of scientists) but the execution was novel and intriguing (especially the cinematography and John Barry score). Funeral in Berlin had some wonderful location shooting in Cold War-era East Berlin along with some great dialogue, as Palmer works to facilitate the defection of a Russian general. Caine in both films plays Palmer as clever and cheeky who hates working for his superiors but knows he’ll end up back in jail if he doesn’t play ball.

Seconds – From the director of The Manchurian Candidate. Eeriness squared. A man going nowhere gets a new face, new body, new life. He is given what the “company” thinks every man wants. Asks great questions about identity, happiness.

The Ballad of Cable Hogue – A rare comedic/lighthearted outing from Sam Peckinpah. Jason Robards plays the title character who, after being left for dead in the desert by two former partners, finds water and builds a home for himself. The days of the coach begin to fade though, and he never forgets the two who wronged him so many years ago.

Dick Tracy – Not a lot of plot to speak of, but the set design and makeup are phenomenal. Makes you feel you are watching a live action comic book from the 1930’s. Al Pacino alone is worth the price of admission as Big Boy Caprice. Warren Beatty directs and plays Tracy.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb – Oh, man. The blackest of black comedies. Makes the Cold War look like a farce. Peter Sellers rocks the house, especially as the ex-Nazi Strangelove (Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!). And I love what Slim Pickens says to his flight crew about the situation they are now in: “Noo-kler combat toe-to-toe with the Rooskies.” A Stanley Kubrick classic.

Fail-Safe – The flip-side to Strangelove. Scary, especially since the tensions were indeed this high during that time. A bunch of American bombers are accidentally ordered to bomb Moscow. The president wants to stop it, while some other of his advisors think that this is the chance to rid themselves of their enemy. Absolutely riveting filmmaking by Sidney Lumet.

I will second Three Days of the Condor and The Spy Who Came In from the Cold as well.

Edited by landgazr, 23 March 2009 - 08:07 PM.

#20 Samfrench25

Samfrench25

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

Favorite Movies, I tend to like the older classics more.

Any thing Hitchcock, but I like the older black and white ones the best: The Lady Vanishes, 39 Steps and like FiRocks said The Man Who Knew Too Much (Peter Lorrie version) is a great film.

Arsenic and Old Lace is one of my all time favs, I also liked Gary Grant in Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House. (Really I like Cary Grant in anything, If I'd been born at the right time I'd have married that man.)

The Thin Man series with Myrna Loy and William Powell are my favorite detective movies.

War Movies: The Enemy Below, Frogmen and U571.

Sci Fi: Star Wars all the way

Action: All of the Pirates of the Caribbean, Armageddon, Indian Jones, and the Mummy Movies.

Comedy: Monty Python and the original Pink Panther movies.

I also Love The Usual Suspects, Kevin Spacey was just awesome in that film.

Hey Sag I love Kevin Spacey, in american beauty he is so funny, usual suspects is a classic also liked him in kpaxx

Frenchy Xx

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved