• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 pelco24

pelco24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:21 AM

It's over..... USA announced a couple of days ago they are canceling "The Starter Wife"...... ratings of 2.4 million were just too low. Entertainment Weekly magazine got the exclusive which went as follows:

---------
USA Network has filed for divorce from The Starter Wife, citing irreconcilable ratings. When the Debra Messing-fronted Wife debuted in 2007 as a six-hour miniseries, it attracted more than 5 million viewers and went on to earn 10 Emmy nominations. However, ratings for its 10-episode first season averaged just 2.4 million viewers -- a decent number by most cable standards, but not for USA, where its top shows (Burn Notice, Monk) regularly pull in around 6 million.

In an exclusive statement, USA called Starter Wife a "critical and creative success," and added that the Dec. 12 season finale served as a "satisfying conclusion" to the franchise.

Do you agree? Did Wife's climax satisfy you? Are you grateful you got those 10 bonus episodes, or should it have just remained a miniseries? And, putting your agent cap on for a moment, what do you think Messing should do next? Sound off in the comments section!

--------
That is referring to the comments section on the Entertainment Weekly website at http://ausiellofiles...sive-usa-c.html ------- There are fans there telling people to go to the website for the Lifetime cable channel and tell them to pick up "The Starter Wife" for Lifetime. So if you love the show and want it to reappear on another network, read the comments at the link (http://ausiellofiles...sive-usa-c.html) for Entertainment Weekly for guidance.

Edited by pelco24, 14 February 2009 - 03:01 PM.

#2 suee

suee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:58 AM

Oh no, it's so sad :(

#3 Marianne

Marianne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:28 PM

I am so disappointed The Starter Wife was cancelled. It was one of my favorite shows.

#4 Daisybay

Daisybay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

I'm disappointed too. I loved this show! I thought it was funny and there were a lot of plot twists and turns that made it so interesting! I will post to lifetime, I hope they can bring it back!!!

#5 Eisha

Eisha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:18 AM

:(
how sad! this was the only show i watch, no wonder i couldnt find it on USA anymore..
I loved this show and Messing was just great!!!

#6 Vandervate

Vandervate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

I loved that show too! I have been waiting ever since the season finale for it to come back on again! I'm so disappointed that USA canceled it. Who likes Monk anyways...! I think everyone should ask Lifetime to show it! I hope it can come back on somewhere! It would be a shame to see such an excellent show canceled like that!

#7 mrsk48

mrsk48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

totally bummed out!!! to be honest i didnt start out a fan but it sucked me in!!!!! all usa shows usually do, i'm addicted to the network completely and i will miss the show, i don't think the ending of last season answered anything!!!!! if lifetime picks it up i will definitely resume watching.... i also agree with other posts as far as negativity goes... i realize i have too much free time to comment on TSW, lol but you really need a hobby if you're only here to bash the show.....to you i say . . .isn't there a comic convention you should be at?

#8 Ariel1

Ariel1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

I LOVE this show! I am so disappointed. I couldn't wait for it to come on every week. I will go to Lifetime next to tell them to pick it up!! :(

#9 wordm

wordm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:55 PM

Thank you so much, USA, for canceling the worst TV show of the 21st Century. No more have to watch those really bad commercials.

#10 LeighHarold

LeighHarold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

It would be fun if USA had left it as a mini-series that came back every summer. Just six episodes every summer that would keep us up to date on Molly's world. Most of the other shows are reruns in the summer. That might have kept it fresh enough to have retained it's original numbers of viewers.

#11 averymac

averymac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:34 PM

Why are they taking off a successful show?!?!? Everyone I know watched it!! They need to reconsider, they have brought life back to many shows that didn't need it they should do that for this show. Who do we need to write to listen? There is nothing on in the summer and I was really looking forward to the Starter Wife. Sorry Debra Messing, LOVE YOU!!

#12 RvR

RvR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

This is an incredible show and my favorite! I will definitely follow it on any nettwork that will pick it up. I love it!.

#13 Anitaincharlotte

Anitaincharlotte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

I absolutely love "The Starter Wife"! I have followed the entire show, before USA, and will follow it wherever it goes! It's smart, funny, and has a fantastic cast. I wish the original Kenny was still on, because the new Kenny is too good looking! Anyway, as a 38 year old wife and mother of two, I found the time to watch this show religiously. I don't believe the ratings systems are as accurate as people would like to believe. For instance, when my family was contacted about being a Nielsen family, it was just too much work to fill out all that crap, we'd rather just watch TV! So there's an example of a TV junkie family whose habits were NEVER recorded! Please don't kill "The Starter Wife". I am such a fussy TV watcher, and there are very few shows that really interest me like this one does. I don't think that the season finale was a "satisfying conclusion". Who the heck are the people who decide this?! Do they have a high IQ, a Master's Degree??? Well, I do, and I don't agree!

#14 golflady88

golflady88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

It's over..... USA announced a couple of days ago they are canceling "The Starter Wife"...... ratings of 2.4 million were just too low. Entertainment Weekly magazine got the exclusive which went as follows:

---------
USA Network has filed for divorce from The Starter Wife, citing irreconcilable ratings. When the Debra Messing-fronted Wife debuted in 2007 as a six-hour miniseries, it attracted more than 5 million viewers and went on to earn 10 Emmy nominations. However, ratings for its 10-episode first season averaged just 2.4 million viewers -- a decent number by most cable standards, but not for USA, where its top shows (Burn Notice, Monk) regularly pull in around 6 million.

In an exclusive statement, USA called Starter Wife a "critical and creative success," and added that the Dec. 12 season finale served as a "satisfying conclusion" to the franchise.

Do you agree? Did Wife's climax satisfy you? Are you grateful you got those 10 bonus episodes, or should it have just remained a miniseries? And, putting your agent cap on for a moment, what do you think Messing should do next? Sound off in the comments section!

--------
That is referring to the comments section on the Entertainment Weekly website at http://ausiellofiles...sive-usa-c.html ------- There are fans there telling people to go to the website for the Lifetime cable channel and tell them to pick up "The Starter Wife" for Lifetime. So if you love the show and want it to reappear on another network, read the comments at the link (http://ausiellofiles...sive-usa-c.html) for Entertainment Weekly for guidance.

#15 golflady88

golflady88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:54 PM

I have been waiting and waiting for the Starter Wife series to begin, and to my shock, I found out it was cancelled. How stupid of USA. Bring it back immediately. There's very little clean cut tv to watch these days, and the Starter Wife was a show the whole family could watch. Not only that, it was a delight. BRING IT BACK!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!

#16 Eames_lover

Eames_lover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:14 AM

I only saw one episode of this show, but it showed potential. I think it should be moved to lifetime or the O Channel.

#17 seb1230

seb1230

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:02 PM

I am so disappointed....Is there any chance another network would pick it up? I just love the cast in this show! I would love to see it return.... :( Please...??

#18 srtrwyffan

srtrwyffan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Are you freakin kidding me!!!! I have been waiting to see what happens next I looked forward to starter wife. I absolutely love Debra Messing and I would love to see Lifetime pick up the show. :angry:

#19 Linny7776

Linny7776

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:00 PM

I'm so upset that USA canceled The Starter Wife. Debra Messing is awesome and so was this show. I watched this show religiously and if I couldn't watch it at the time that it was on I recorded it. I never missed an episode. I think it's bull that they would take this show away just because it "ONLY" got 2.4 MILLION viewers. Did I mention million????? I think USA just didn't advertise it well enough to inform all of the miniseries viewers of the 10 episodes. USA network you messed up and that's putting it lightly. The starter wife is the only reason that I watched your station. Good luck getting this viewer back without Debra. :angry:

Oh and P.S. I'm with srtrwyffan....I would love to see Lifetime pick up this show as well! USA you don't deserve to have Debra Messing on your network.

#20 wordm

wordm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

The show might have been good if Debra Messing hadn't stared in it. She's a really really bad actress.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved